[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Expanse
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10
File: maxresdefault.jpg (148 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
148 KB, 1920x1080
What happends to all the Expanse-treads? also, new Expanse-tread.
>>
File: thatsoundslikefightingtalk.jpg (178 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
thatsoundslikefightingtalk.jpg
178 KB, 1280x720
>>64001361
Is this the expanse thread?
>>
>>64001361
What's Expanse? It looks cool.
>>
>>64001822
Its fucking epic. But only 4 episodes are out so far, and episode 1 and 2 you will need to suffer through before 3 and 4 blows your mind away
>>
>>64001690
The casting on this show (outside of Miller) drove me right the fuck off. I'll check back in when Bobbi shows up.
>>
>Expanse
>Dark Matter
>Killjoys

Syfy making good Scifi again? Never thought I'd see the day.
>>
File: donnager goes into combat.webm (3 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
donnager goes into combat.webm
3 MB, 720x404
>>64002217
>The casting on this show (outside of Miller) drove me right the fuck off.
Can't please everyone, I guess.
>I'll check back in when Bobbi shows up.
As a non bookfag I have no idea who that is.
>>
>>64002393
Yeah, I mean even as a bookfag this series is one that has kind of worn out its welcome for me. I really dislike Holden as a character and the casting isn't helping me out any. Bobbie is a tough chick (tm) Martian marine who shows up in Book 2 IIRC. Though from the way they've introduced some things in the show it seems like they'll be bringing her in a lot sooner.
>>
>>64002217
could you give a bit of a run-down on why you dont like the casting? I've never read the novels, so i dont have anything to compare the casting against
>>
File: Shohreh02.jpg (129 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Shohreh02.jpg
129 KB, 1280x720
>>64002542
You don't even like based Shohreh?
>>
>>64002553
It's been a few years since I've read Leviathan Wakes, but I remember Holden reading as slightly older in the books. Casting this younger guy as a tortured dude / reluctant leader just makes him seem like a pouty unambitious college kid. Not someone with legitimate baggage. Amos should be a bigger / bulkier / more menacing dude (his backstory in the books is that of a hardened killer). Alex hasn't been given much to do yet, but he's ok. Did they tone down the country/texas twang thing for the show? I guess it would play a little goofy for TV, but it was a cool touch in the books as far as world-building. Naomi seems ok, she kind of has the same problem most of the belters do on the show. No way to really portray the way their morphology is described in the books on a SyFy budget. Might have worked better as an animated series. I'll be interested in seeing how the protomolecule is shown as things really start to kick off.
>>
>>64002820
Ok, one thing i need to know. In the opening of the first episode, this damn woman that is somehow the key to all of this is in the freighter, right? And she comes across the engine core that is somehow eating a person? Like wtf is going on?
>>
>>64002820
also, do you recommend reading the novels?
>>
>>64002713
Based Admiral Raan you mean?
>>
>>64003045

I think the person just fell into the core or was thrown in there or something
>>
>>64002820
Same exact thing here. I read it when it first came out, but Thomas Jane would have been a great Holden, and you need someone even older and more jaded for the detective, like an out of shape 2015 Russel Crowe. Amos is fantastic in the books, a really damaged brute with a ton of baggage, physically imposing yet with a lot of charm bleeding out. This team of college kids just doesn't fit the bill. If this show runs for 8 years how they appear in the final episode might be how they should have been in the first episode.
>>
>>64003045
That's going to be revealed over the course of the season, but it's the Protomolecule, it's an ancient alien weapon that rewrites DNA/eats up everything in its wake.

>>64003066
Yes, they're pretty breezy reads and the series has opened up quite a bit. The more I think about where the series is now, the more I feel like this should have been an animated television series (it's going to get prohibitively expensive to show some of the things in the latter books well). Fred and Bobbi, two of the best characters in the entire series, haven't even really been introduced on the show yet and probably won't get any real screen time until next season.
>>
File: columbo-431x300.jpg (35 KB, 431x300) Image search: [Google]
columbo-431x300.jpg
35 KB, 431x300
>>64005114
Yeah, I like Jane but he is a little young for Miller who I always pictured as more of a creaky, old Columbo type. I think he might be too old (46) for Holden who is in his early 30s in the books. Especially if this show gets a long run.
>>
I thought the guy who played holden was around 30. Am I just out of touch and he looks college age?
>>
>>64005493
No, you're right. He's 29. I just feel like he looks a bit younger than that.
>>
>>64005493
You're pretty out of touch.
>>
>that hairstyle on cpt fedora
what the fuck were they thinking
>>
>>64001690
What is Shepard doing in here?
>>
File: 2020039-8.jpg (63 KB, 464x640) Image search: [Google]
2020039-8.jpg
63 KB, 464x640
Do you anons watch the Heavy Metal show? Is it good? I am actually interested in this.
>>
I thought the casting was alright, except that Amos has too much of a baby face. They went with a more mentally unstable Amos than a physically intimidating one. Also in the books I never felt like Fred was black? I guess it doesn't change anything.
>>
>>64006128

This is for the discussion of the expanse

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>64006648
i thought it was the same shit, sorry
>>
>>64006128
I completely missed that they made a second season of of that. The first was alright, kind of Outer Limits-y.
>>
>>64007705
wait, they made a tv series out of that? I think my nuts first dropped while skimming through some Heavy Metal in the back-end of a bookstore when i was like 12 or something
>>
>>64005153
Fred has been introduced, when he was in the crane elevator thing chatting to the mormon guy

>>64002820
Holden is meant to be a dick, thats why literally everyone who meets him thinks he some ideological stuck up twat
>>
>>64007864
That whole "morons leaving for another galaxy" part made me laugh. Also, the whole "its a long voyage, something might happen"-dialogue
>>
>>64002383
I wouldn't call it "good," it's merely the right kind of "dull, banal and muted" so as not to offend any present-day crybabies, that happens to be passable as a distraction when nothing else is on.

Everything that these shows have been trying to blast people in the face with (muh diversity, muh stronk women, etc) has already been done before, better, and in such a way where it didn't feel forced or preachy (see: BSG) The showrunners are clearly banking on the notion (as they typically do) that everyone has a short-term memory, so no one will notice them blatantly reinventing the wheel and doing a bang up job in the process.
>>
File: 1-ice-mining.jpg (250 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1-ice-mining.jpg
250 KB, 1920x1080
>>
File: 459790542.jpg (147 KB, 1872x1404) Image search: [Google]
459790542.jpg
147 KB, 1872x1404
>>
File: Expanse_hero_tycho_station.jpg (289 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Expanse_hero_tycho_station.jpg
289 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>
>>64009754
>>64009785
>>64009828
>>64009870
It sure is a pretty looking show!
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.