[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else expects Rey to just put light saber on the end of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: sh1020.jpg (10 KB, 650x309) Image search: [Google]
sh1020.jpg
10 KB, 650x309
Anyone else expects Rey to just put light saber on the end of her staff to make something pic related? I mean, she keep dragging her stick around.
Not the double-sided sword, but an actual light spear could be pretty spectacular.
Also, I really want to see Kylo Ren wrecking Luke's Jedi Academy in a flashback or something. Anyone else?
>>
>>63999380
>Kylo Ren wrecking Luke's Jedi Academy in a flashback
He can't even put a female in its place m8. Don't lie to yourself.
>>
Lightspear is retarded and not effective.
>>
>>63999407
Bullshit. It'd probably be a lot easier to use than a lightsaber even.

In real life spear vs sword almost always results in spear victory if it's 1v1.
>>
>>63999481

Its harder and takes longer to spin a spear.
Therefore its shit.
Also mandalorian iron is noncano so you can cut straight through the hilt and kill the person.
>>
File: Darth_Maul_lightsaber_reveal.png (3 MB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
Darth_Maul_lightsaber_reveal.png
3 MB, 1920x816
>>63999380
Only reasonalbe saber for her to have

Also connection. Her probable dad Obi Wan killed him
>>
>>63999380
would be awesome having a naginata sabre.
>>
>>63999541
Yes, the hilt cutting could be a problem. However, didn't that baton thingie successfully reflect a lightsaber?
>>
>>63999582

The baton was covered in electricity which can stop a lightsaber like force lightning.

Do seriously people not understood this is why the lightsaber didnt cut it?
>>
>>63999621
No?

Well, in any case, that makes the spear useless. Somebody should actually go full sperg on SW weapons to determine how fucktarded each of them would be if they were real.

I actually suspect that most "light-" weapons are near-useless.
>>
Naginata > sword
Light-naginata > lightsaber
This isn't complicated lads. That extra reach makes all the difference.
>B-but hilt c-cutting
Have you ever seen someone cut the head off a polesword with a normal sword? A ludicrous feat that would require a major disparity in skill and therefore not a decent reflection of their relative efficacy.
>>
>>63999549
That would be pretty cool. I remember the first time I saw Maul's lightsaber it looked very cool and the reveal was great too.
>>
>>63999756

Normal sword doesnt cut through 99% of existing materials like a lightsaber does.

Naginata is still retarded.
>>
>>63999837
But what it doesn't cut through is another light saber. So in terms of polearm vs sword there's no difference. That extra reach is all distance from which the swordfag can only defend.
>>
>>63999871

Only the blade part.
Hilt still gets destroyed like its butter.

Therefore lightnaginata is a shit.
>>
>>63999380
unless the staff was made out of lightsaber resistant material, a spear or naginata style lightsaber would be pretty useless.
>>
I guess the crystal could be toward the base, then the blade could travel through the rest of the staff out the top to form the blade.

But that's still retarded
>>
>>64000109

The light is only focused at the end of the hilt coming out as a blade.
>>
>>64000146
Obviously, since that's how the saber works.
>>
>>63999960
>>63999978
if you get one strike on your body you're gonna get fucked up, usually a limb lost or have long gashing wounds like in the last Kylo Ren fight

surely it will mean a one-hit-ko on the weapon if the weapon gets struck
but if you spend effort getting your body away from a strike of course youd spend effort keeping your weapon from risk as well.

weapons fighting isnt all clanging weapons together, thats just sexy looking bits
its more like getting under another weapons thrust or deflecting it with your own

the lightspear can still deflect and parry just as a regular saber but they still have the reach of a polearm
its not like the sabers themselves didnt have a noticeable vulnerability that hasn't been an issue for the six prior films

none of the sabers had a fucking guard until Kylo Ren. What would happen if one of the jedi or sith just thought, maybe i should slide my saber down the length of my opponent's saber after we clash and just take his wrist off...
>>
>>64000311
The problem with a saber spear is that for a spear to be effective, it needs to have a long shaft. In terms of a reach advantage, there isn't really a difference between a spear and a really long sword. The main advantage of the spear is its thrust speed, and the nimbleness of the point. The leverage provided by having one hand at the far end of the haft and the other at the back allows the user to thrust incredibly quickly, quicker then most swords (think a pool cue). And the leverage means that very small movement at the back results is a very large movement at the front. However, this only happens if the haft is long. If its too short, this advantage is lost.

So, unless you have a very long blade attached to the long half, chances are the conventional lightsaber is going to have a longer blade than the lightspear, despite being a shorter weapon. This would mean that the lightsaber would be able to get past the blade portion of the spear, and attack the haft of the spear. This isn't a problem for a convetional spear, because its really hard to cut through a wooden haft with a steel sword, especially at anything less than a 90 degree angle. But a lightsaber doesn't have this problem.

Now, a spear with a very long blade would circumvent this problem, but would have its own problems (such as being impractically sized).

If the haft was made of a lightsaber resistant material, than most of this issue is null though

Finally, this only holds true for a weapon based on a spear. something like a lightglaive/lightnaginata would have different strengths and weaknesses
>>
why did they make her staff so thick? makes it look kind of unwieldy.
>>
are vibroswords still a thing or not?
if you had that shit from KOTOR you could--

actually while thinking of vibroswords i just remembered, TRAITOR used a fucking energy baton that was able to clash with a saber. hell it practically looked like it absorbed the sabers energy in order to blast Finn off his feet

clearly saber-resistant materials are available in the star wars universe
>>
>>64000683
vibroswords exist in the OT (Sheev's guards have them), so they're still canon
>>
>>64000683
See
>>63999621
>>
Since Jedis are samurai and female samurai use Naginata, Rey using Light Naginata seems logical
>>
>autists in this thread writing several paragraphs analyzing weapon feasibility in a children's space movie
>>
>>63999380

She did seem to use a lot of thrusting attacks during her saber fight.
>>
>>64000865

What do you think Rey smells like?
>>
>>64000976
LCL and existentialist thoughts
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.