[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will movie ranking in numbers ever stop? I really dislike the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: meta.jpg (59 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
meta.jpg
59 KB, 1920x1080
Will movie ranking in numbers ever stop?

I really dislike the system to a big extent.

a review should contain what a movie does well, what it does badly and under which conditions, if there are any, it can be recommended.
numbers make a brainless dick comparision out of it.
>>
no
deal with it
cheers
>>
>>63997928
"Critics" are just too stupid to write proper reviews, so giving the movies a number is more convenient for them.
>>
But there are critics and reviews that do exactly that, Sight and Sound magazine being the most prominent example of that. Of course you won't get it on the internet, you need to read actual critical publications.

That said, it's a useful system to get a general idea about a movie, especially the way metacritic does it (straight critical average score). RT has a very bad system though that makes no sense, to the extent that i don't understand how anyone could think it useful.
>>
>>63998470
>you need to read actual critical publications.
I'd love to do so, do you have any recomendations?
>>
>>63997928
How to read metacritic scores:

Green: good
Yellow: Decent or mediocre
Red: Bad

Ignore the number
>>
>>63997928
Metacritic is the worst.
Since not all reviewers out a score it only records half of the reviews compared to rotten tomatoes.
Rotten tomatoes is shit but at least its a simple like or dislike system.
A 100% could mean an okay movie while a 10% could mean just a mediocre movie
>>
>>63997928

This post sucks 1/10
>>
>>63998487

Sight and Sound is the one i get every month as they have actual critics and film scholars writing for them, but there's others: Cahiers du cinema (in french), Little White Lies (i've heard good things but haven't read it), the archives of the now defunct The Dissolve (website), plenty of fantastic review podcasts as well (filmspotting, the projection booth, battleship pretension at times, the cinephiliacs, criterion cast). As far as i know none of these have score systems, the just discuss the good and the bad of films.
>>
>>63999070
thanks a lot, I'll look into that
>>
>>63999070

Oh and I'd stay away from Empire and Total Film and Hollywood Reporter as they are all filled with garbage discussion and marketing and ads.

There's plenty of scholarly film journals to read essays out of if you want too, but i can't really think of names offhand. What I do is I go to JStor.org and search for a film, a director etc and see what i can find, since luckily i have a life subscription through my alumni network.

i'd also have a look a MUBI.com's articles and discussions (should be at mubi.com/notebook) they post and aggregate plenty of film related stuff that's more 'high brow' than imdb or w/e. That and Senses of Cinema as well, and finally Film Philosophy.
>>
>>63999070
My girlfriend works for Little White Lies. Great stuff. Prescreenings are great perks as well.
>>
>>63999233

One more thing, Criterion has one or more essays on all the movies in their collection on their site, so whenever i watch one i read the stuff they have attached to it, some are better than other but you know...

That's less to do with new releases though, and i guess that's what you were asking about
>>
>>63999284

That's cool man, how'd she get the gig? I always wonder about how people get to write for films magazines (as opposed to lol internet reviewers), especially in today's print publication climate.
>>
>>63999342
She studied in Cardiff which is quite prestigious as far as magazine journalism graduate schemes go (that's what she told me and looking at the alumni list I reckon it's true). She did a fuckton of extra curricular stuff, wrote for a lot of publications while studying, became head editorial of online articles for her school magazine during her undergraduate, wrote for websites and blogs as well. She's also really into films obviously. Uuhm furthermore she's just very talented in writing.

She started an internship with another magazine in TCO Publishing and got a job at LWL after a while.

TL;DR: get a dickload of experience, have genuine passion for film and be a talented writer. That mixed together with a healthy dose of luck and networking can land you a job in journalism. She's quite lucky she never had to do shitty jobs in the beginning though, lots of her journo friends litteraly had to fetch coffee and lunch for collegues for years before they were allowed to write. Disgusting practices really.
>>
>>63999543
>>63999543

That's interesting, i've got a friend who wants to do journalism stuff and seems to be going a similar route.

I'm not so much interested in that, i'm currently training as a cinematographer so more into the pracical side of it, but i did film studies for my undergraduate so i like to keep up with the theoretical side too.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.