[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
anybody willing to admit he was better than expected? i doubt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 9
anybody willing to admit he was better than expected? i doubt it but for me he was the only one saving the movie

>mary sue rey constantly conveying to audience that she strong innapenent womyn dont need no man, Fin grabs her hands anyway to get her from harm

>Harrison Ford is old and tired and just cant get me to see him as Han solo anymore. Fin replaces im as alpha hero

>personable character who regains self consciousness at beginning of 'film', blank slate character

>kinds of acts like a young Han but more altruistic

i only saw Boyega in Attack the Block and that required almost now acting skill so I was surprised hat not only can he do an American accent well but that he can emote well.

another thing i thought about is often in film now they'll use a black Brit to do an American accent because a lot of black Americans cant get over a certain tone in speech that makes them "sound black" through dialogue. So having a black Brit do a US accent will result in a more neutral sounding dialect. I was thinking this because I was wondering why not use a black American since the dialogue called for it?
>>
He was the best actor on screen by far.

Loved it when he was taunting phasma and it was only a couple lines.
>>
>>63991877
Him and Poe were simply magic on the screen
>>
>>63991877
>i doubt it

What? Literally every post about him since the release has been how he was better than expected you fucking moron.

Still disappointed a bit with his character
>Killing is bad gotta get out of here
>fuck you stormtroopers *blaps*
He should be more of a pacifist to make a really unique and interesting character.
>>
Loved Finn. My wife's son could really relate to him we were cheering him on the whole time
>>
he was alright but they coulda toned down the YEAH NIGGA shit
>>
Yeah he was my favorite character. Was a nice foil to Rey who seemed to succeed at without really trying as opposed to Finn who tried but ended up failing.

I hope he becomes a Jedi and we see even more contrast between Rey and him and their training. Rey picking up everything easily and Finn really struggling to.
>>
All of the acting was good tier, a few moments of great tier, nothing top tier, and barely any low tier (some moments with Driver feel forced), with ok tier from the returning cast

I'm pretty okay with the entire new casting decisions. Boyega was aiight.
>>
>>63991955
him straight up stabbing that storm trooper felt a little flawed to his otherwise protestful demeanor
>>
I skipped all the trailers and ignored all the raceb8 threads so he was perfectly okay and enjoyable, just like everyone else in the movie.
>>
File: 1436043765844.jpg (27 KB, 532x485) Image search: [Google]
1436043765844.jpg
27 KB, 532x485
>>63991986

>my wife's son
>>
I was withholding my judgment on Boyega (and defending him from criticism by people who hadn't seen the goddamn movie).

Was still pleasantly surprised though.

>alpha hero
Were we watching the same movie though? Poe was the alpha. Finn was struggling to find his footing.. He definitely grew into it and was able to fight back his fear towards the First Order, but it was character development. He was essentially Luke.
>>
I'm pretty impressed that sexism has overcome racism on this board
>>
I honestly thought he was gonna be this SJW leading man and I honestly hated how he handled everything irl, thought he was too arrogant and proud

then I watched the film and saw that he was the sidekick and the comic relief and I was okay with that.

dont get me wrong its not about the race, I just hated how he took everything in real life (given that I thought he was gonna be the actual lead)
>>
>>63991877
he was breddy gud
overacted some of the comedic scenes (we get it, finn is an excitable child) but he did the serious scenes well
his scenes cheering and bro-ing it up while escaping with poe were magic
>>
>>63992104
>I honestly thought he was gonna be this SJW leading man

That's what you get for basing your expectations on shitty 4chan memes
>>
He was terrible just like everyone else. Get some fucking standards you videogame player
>>
I think Finn and Han/Chewie doing shit together was the best part of the movie.

Poe was great too but it felt awkward how he reappeared later on.
>>
the panting under-bite trailers didnt help

but yeah he was good

i liked all the new characters
movie still was aggressively mediocre
>>
>>63991877
>anybody willing to admit he was better than expected?
Yeah he was a lot of fun. Bumbling funny "hero" character.

His backstory bothers me though.
Movie would've been better if they changed it a bit since I don't buy a person who grew up with the first order, trained their entire life with them to just pack up and leave and oppose them so easily.
It wasn't believable to me. If he was conscripted not that long ago it would've made more sense to me.

I think he'll be good in following movies as long as they don't try to turn him into a jedi then fuck it. Looking forward to seeing him and poe interact more.
>>
>>63992163
I would watch a buddy cop movie set in the star wars universe with him and poe.
>>
>>63992090
>A character is badly written
>It becomes sexism because the character happens to be female

kill yourself you dense fucking moron.
>>
>brainwashed since he was a child
>decides to desert and leave the first order he already has a fully formed persona
>one minute hes in a buddy comedy then next a romcom
literally one of the worst characters besides rey and what they did to luke
>>
>>63992259
Bad writing isn't the reason there are so many threads bashing her, though
>>
I thought he was completely unnecessary, he didn't contribute anything to the events of the film, or the film's quality itself

Literally Jar Jar 2.0
>>
>>63992286
It's cool how you can know the motivation behind every poster on an anonymous image board for nepali basket weaving.
>>
>>63992290
>Literally Jar Jar 2.0
I think he's a jar jar that worked.
A funny character thant hey've ever had, but they didn't go over the line.
Where the line is, is fairly subjective though.
I imagine they could cross it in sequels.
>>
>>63992222
>a person who grew up with the first order, trained their entire life with them to just pack up and leave and oppose them so easily.
the Force has a stupid way with people
>>
>>63992361
That's not how the force works
>>
>>63992323
Isn't that what you're doing here >>63992090 outsider?
>>
I don't know.

I enjoyed him, but his characterization was pretty stupid.
>backstory is that he's been brainwashed and raised as a soldier since birth
>he acts lively and energetic throughout most of the film
The guy didn't even have a name, him having such a boisterous personality was kind of far-fetched. They should have kept his performance more in line with his backstory or made his backstory less retarded. Preferably the latter. Or maybe they could have had him start off more straight-laced and melancholy, and have him loosen up as the films progress.
>>
>>63992352
There's literally no reason why Rey would care about this character, or why Poe would be friends with this character

He's a coward, he's not funny he's fucking obnoxious, he gets his ass kicked every time he's on screen

Literally a dude who doesn't need to be in the movie

Felt like 'Last Action Hero' or some shit where a random black guy gets dropped into a Star Wars movie for absolutely no reason
>>
>>63991945
you can already tell they have chemistry
>>
>>63992222
I can see it being possible but I really wish they had expanded on it. We didn't get any real information on how he felt, how exactly the empire tried to stop things like his leaving from occurring or really anything. We also got no real reaction on the event from them (besides Kylo being angry), it sets a pretty dangerous precedent if someone can escape the slavery so easily. It was just a couple of short scenes of him thinking "maybe massacring people is bad" and then suddenly he's out for good.
>>
He was okay, but there was too much
>AW HELL YE NIGGUH
moments. I also don't like his panicked face like when he's about to get smashed by TR 8R.

At least /pol/ was wrong about him being a bad actor.
>>
>>63991877
My thirst for dick is surpassed only by the thirst for hot black jocks
>>
>>63992517
But he was a bad actor, /v/
>>
File: Nod.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
Nod.webm
2 MB, 854x480
>>63991877
>>
>>63992444
Pay attention to the post chain, you dun goofed
>>
all the actors with the exception of rey were pretty good, considering they had a shit script to work with
>>
>>63992444
You only gave me one (you) friend
>>
>>63992090
many people would rather have black/asian men playing lead roles instead of womyn mary sue need no man shit
>>
>>63991945
I hope neither of them die before Act III of Ep 9.

I love bromances.
>>
>thought he was gonna be a super cereal character
>He's an absolute non-stop blast on screen, genuinely funny and top tier bro
>His mediocrity made him the most believable character
>>
>>63992572
jesus christ. harrison ford should have died 20 years ago, this is a travesty
>>
File: Comedia.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
Comedia.webm
3 MB, 854x480
>>63991877

Fin
>>
>>63991986
Underrated post.
>>
I tell you, this is a classic JJ bluff.
People seeing it think Finn is the hero until the end, where Rey goes all magic jedi while he rests in the snow.
By the end of the movie they go "oh, the force awakening must have been Rey"
but no, this is a long con you see
they KNOW this is gonna be 3 movies
Finn's just a late bloomer, he's got 2 more movies to go full badass.
You can see it in all the little hints throughout the movie;
Finn rejecting the indoctrination, Kylo noticing his hesitation, Finn noticing the star killer attack before literally everyone else, and not outright failing at fighting a fallen jedi.
I tell you this man is gonna find his purpose in later movies.
>>
>>63992679
>[laugh track]

Bazinga intensifies
>>
>>63991877
Yeah he was great. Him and Poe need more scenes together. They wasted a great opportunity by ditching Poe until the finale.
>>
>>63992707
>calling one of the most common tropes in fiction a "JJ bluff"
>>
>>63992707
>Finn's just a late bloomer, he's got 2 more movies to go full badass.
I'm afraid you're right.
Shame because I like him as he is and I don't think I'll like him that way.

I guess Finn could be used to remind people that the force isn't only inherited. It is inherited, but not exclusively.
>>
>>63992679
Jesus Christ...
>>
>>63992451
This so much.
The personality didn't fit the character's history at all
>>
>>63991877

He was actually my new favorite character in the movie. (Luke is my OT favorite)
He was the most down to earth for me, Rey was just too perfect.
>>
File: Capture.png (102 KB, 481x223) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
102 KB, 481x223
>>63992707
>>
File: 1450508959512.jpg (105 KB, 930x697) Image search: [Google]
1450508959512.jpg
105 KB, 930x697
>>63991945
Damn right.
>>
>>63991877
He was the best actor in the movie. With that being said, he was still a comic relief character.
>>
>>63991877
I thought he'd be a lot better, honestly. I didn't much like his character 60% of the time, and I thought his acting was pretty bad.
>>
>>63992453
>hates finn
>loves poe
found the edgey 12 yr old racsist
>>
>>63992811
why was he in sanitation then?
>>
>>63992898
Because the book is noncanon and was written before the script was completed
>>
File: Brevs4lyfe.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
Brevs4lyfe.webm
3 MB, 854x480
>>63992815
>>63991945
>>63992655
>>
It's weird, seeing Finn get his shit kicked in half the movie made me root for him more.
I want him to be the one who fucks up Ren in the end.
I want him to be the Goku kinda guy, a man who starts out really shit in the force but with enough humorous training montages with a puppet he eventually outshine Mrs. Supremely Bountifully Natural Talent and Linkin Park's No.1 fan member.
>>
>>63993008
So he'll basically become every anime MC ever
>>
File: 1429354920673.jpg (66 KB, 650x342) Image search: [Google]
1429354920673.jpg
66 KB, 650x342
>>63993008

>Goku

more like Yamcha....
>>
>>63992018
Didn't like the droid please comment?
>>
He was better than i expected but i still didn't like him much. He really irritated me how he kept trying to be badass and use the lightsaber even though he had no idea what he was doing. Thankfully he got his ass kicked both times he tried to use it, but it was still annoying. It would have been better if he only tried to use it once in the movie, and that would be at the end when fighting Kylo, and during that fight he should have been completely demolished like when he was fighting against the baton trooper. He did get his ass kicked by Kylo but it didn't feel like a landslide victory like it should have. Yeah Kylo was injured so you can use that as an excuse for why Finn even landed a single hit on him, but to me, even injured, Kylo should have just destroyed Finn in just a few swings.

At least Finn was fun when he was with Poe. Other than that i didn't like him much.
>>
>>63992868
literally nothing about that post tells you he loves poe
learn how to read
>>
File: 1449888398517.jpg (2 MB, 3300x2550) Image search: [Google]
1449888398517.jpg
2 MB, 3300x2550
Hated the character, loved the actor. After all the /pol/ banter and the way he handled the "backlash" I didn't have much going in, but was pleasantly surprised.

He played the character well, and to be honest, his presence was completely wasted as his character was written like complete shit. The fact that I liked Bodega as much as I did, given that his character was shit says enough for me.

Poe and Tray Tor did well too, and I'm trying to like Kylo Ren's character although his daddy issues seem misplaced given his responsibilities.

I hope to see more of Bodega - it was even particularly refreshing to see a male black character on film who wasn't the 100% BADASSERY ALL THE TIME LETS BLOW THESE MUH FUCKERS BIX NOOD.
>>
>>63991945
BOTH GARBAGE

BOYEGA WASN'T CHARISMATIC ENOUGH TO BE THE JOKEY SIDEKICK

ISAAC WAS GIVEN A CARDBOARD FLAT CHARACTER, ALL HE DID WAS DELIVER LINES, ABSOLUTELY WASTED A GOOD ACTOR ON NOTHING

THE ONLY DECENT PERFORMANCE IN THE ENTIRE MOVIE WAS ADAM DRIVER
>>
>>63992234
I'm hoping for at least a little of that while Rey is away training.
>>
>>63992868
>WAYCISM WAH
want to call the Wahmbulance while you're at it?
>>
>>63993008
>I want him to be the Goku kinda guy
>he eventually outshine Mrs. Supremely Bountifully Natural Talent
Uhh have you ever watched DBZ? Goku IS the supremely bountiful natural talent. Vegeta ended up being the guy who had to work his ass off every single day just so he could try and stay even with Goku's natural talent, but he still never could.
>>
>>63992953
>Pough

>That "Buddy!"
They just work so damn well.
>>
>>63993182
That analogy was meant solely to draw parallels in the fact that one appears to be naturally talented in force~y shit and the other is kinda crap at that right now.
They both have to work hard to get good and it, but Finn's journey at this point seems like an inversion of the whole "destined chosen one probably related to Skywalker because everyone cool is"
>>
>>63992815
GO ON, HUG HIM!
You guys went through a lot together and you haven't seen each other in awhile. That's right, let it out. Don't be afraid to feel. Why don't you play with his hair a little,yea, yea that's perfect...now kiss him.
>>
>>63991877
How is Poe not more of the new Han Solo?
>>
>>63991955
It wasn't that he was against killing, but he was against how the First Order would just slaughter those who didn't even have half a chance. I never got the vibe that he was pacifist is any real sense of the word, he's just not okay with unnecessary death.
>>
>>63992898
Cant have 3 bad asses, someones gotta be the Meg.
>>
>>63991877
His acting was fine, he's still ugly as shit though.
I don't want to see ugly main characters ,simple as that.
>>
>>63991877
I didn't think he was all that great, but yes he was better than I expected.
>>
>>63993322
Can't argue with all those dubs.

And maybe he was FUCKING AWESOME at sanitation. I mean how many sanitation guy pay enough attention to there surroundings while picking up trash to give detailed plans to the resistance if needed.

>He got that ambition baby look in his eyes. This week he mopping floors next week it's the fries.
>>
>>63993273
Awww, why you gotta make it gay?

Can't two men have a close, platonic relationship with the occasional old fashioned without it being homosexual?
>>
>>63993427
never consider the top 1% referenced was In sanitation.....
>>
>>63993008
That's your average anime protag but nothing like Goku. He's usually pretty powerful.
>>
I liked that nobody in the movie was blindingly attractive.

It had a very down-to-earth but larger-than-life feeling.

Even reys actor isnt that cute. If anything this movie maybe me more gay for heroic italians.
>>
Favourite part of the movie was when they were on Han's freighter and they had to deal with the mercenaries and those monsters.
>>
>>63993390
Huh. He didnt seem ugly to me. He's attractive even. No homo.
>>
>>63993273
Son, I am disapoint.
Let bros be bros. Don't make it homo.
>>
>Monster on ship wrecks the mercenaries
>Literally rips/eats all of them
>Monster gets Finn
>Drags him around kicking and screaming like a red headed step child

Why even put that scene in? Did the monster just get full?
>>
>>63991986
kek
>>
>>63993298
This.

See>>63992811. He was extremely good a being a killing machine. However, he got singled out by his superiors for always trying to save his comrades, while Phasma basically told him to leave them to die. That was the starting point of him thinking about leaving. Then the village happened, and indeed, he knew that if his blaster showed that no shot had been fired, he would have been recondutionned, and I'm guessing it's not the nicest thing in the FO.
>>
>>63994070
Maybe he doesn't like his overcooked
>>
>>63994070
I honestly assumed he was going to be impregnated with alien babies and wanted a lil' moment alone.
>>
>>63992039
Agreed, you would think he would be a bit more sympathetic to the other stormtroopers
>>
>>63991877
I honestly expected "bland boring black sidekick" or "nig nog" from him. I was so glad when the movie ended and not once had I heard him cry "AWWW HEYULL NAW!"
>>
>>63994211
It's probably a typical case of "everyone except MC guy is bloodthirsty and shows no regard for the lives of enemies" so he had no attachment to them
>>
If anything, he would resent the other troopers who stay because they agree with wholesale slaughter of innocents.
>>
>>63993109
I liked it, I just felt like they were trying to relate to me to the point where it felt like pandering/forced.
>>
>>63991877

This series would be better without a "chosen one". It's boring watching rey knowing nothing bad will ever happen to her. Also imagine if the scene where rey hits finn in the face with a stick was reversed? There'd be fucking outrage. God I can't stand this feminist shit every character should be vulnerable
>>
>>63992090
Women are universally terrible, but there are some cool black people
>>
>>63993977
>Italians
Sorry bro, but he's part of La Raza. Guatamalan/Cuban
>>
>>63994369
But he can't be Cuban because I like him
>>
>>63994160
Kek
>>
>>63992453
Niggers? In my Star Wars? It's more likely than you think.
>>
>>63992679
Ford seemed downright furious during this scene, it seemed a little out of character until that little quip to Chewie
>>
He's a good actor, that much is obvious.

I just wanted Michael B. Jordan.
>>
>>63994445
i can think of three blacks who aren't background characters, including finn
>>
>>63994388
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1209966/
>>
Why the American accent?

I've never even heard this dude's natural accent, and I could definitely tell it wasn't his native accent.

Too many brits or something? It felt very unnatural.
>>
>>63994257
Didn't he have a stormtrooper friend though?
>>
>>63994519
Prequels don't count
>>
>>63994550
ridley is bong as fuck so yea they probably figured both of them having accents would be annoying, since they both have lots of scenes together
>>
>>63994568
I figure his friend was the dude who died next to him, the one who smeared blood on his helmet.
>>
>>63994476
>That's not how the Force works!
>>
>>63994568
>>63994604
Yep. In the book, the guy who dies in the village is the one that Finn basically spend his time saving during training, and gets berated for it.
>>
this nigga was a fucking psychopath

you grow up with other people who you know are in the exact same situation as you, indoctrinated kidnapped child soldiers, for probably around 20 years

then one day you get picked to go on a ground mission, for some reason, even though you're a janitor. You are a massive pussy and freak out about your fellow stormtroopers killing innocents

so you decide to risk your life and help some guy you don't know escape

while doing this you personally kill at least a dozen + of your fellow stormtroopers, most of whom you've probably been acquainted with most of your life, at the very least you probably have worked with some of them before. While doing this you're hooping and hollering while kill them, despite them ten minutes ago potentially being your friends/acquaintances/fellow stormtroopers
>>
>>63994665
is this the same book that says Finn was a top-of-his-class cadet?

If that's canon then why was he a janitor? why had he never seen combat before the jakku mission
>>
>>63994765
Maybe there was an age limit?
>>
His and Driver's character are actually half brothers.
>>
>>63992953
>*BEEPS BOOPS*
>>
>>63994741
he did just see his group gun down a load of innocents tho
>>
>>63995137
>an age limit?

For what? being a combat trooper?

The first order is an organization that kidnaps babbys and brainwashing them, I don't think they'd really care about that sort of shit

Plus boyega is 23 and finn was born 7 years after the battle of endor, making him 23 in the film I think. By standards currently in place in militaries that aren't brainwashed obsessed crazy fringe groups Finn could have been in combat service for about five years

and if he was top of his class why wouldn't he be?

I guess JJ just doesn't care because we needed a black guy because JJ doesn't like white rooms

>>63995210
would that make you betray the organization you've been in/brainwashed in for 20 years? Would you be happy and yelling "WOO DID YOU SEE THAT" while killing those people you've probably known/worked with for all of your life? The ONLY people you've known/worked with all of your life?

I get that Finn is pretty much just a plot device character here at the beginning, but it makes me a bit upset that I just thought more into Finn's character in about three minutes than JJ or any of the writers for this billion dollar franchise movie did in about four years
>>
>>63995335
I'm pretty sure adrenalin makes you do lots of crazy thing when you're running for you life. What was he supposed to do? Just wait to be gunned down?
>>
>>63995472
are you referring to him yelling while killing stormtroopers?

It's not like they were trying to kill him for no reason, he both made the choice to do this knowing what the implications were and also killed stormtroopers before he was really in danger

i mean they were firing e11s or whatever the new one is called at a tie fighter and finn had a fucking tie fighter turret, he's not exactly defending himself in this situation
>>
>>63992707
>Jedi Finn
gross
>>
>>63994135
too bad that paragraph is both non-canon and was written before the script was finished

you are going to strain something if you keep reaching that hard
>>
>>63992953
It was all going so good until

>Poe, I need your help

Fuck JJ and that Kasdan, holy fuck I'm so mad.
>>
>>63995597
>before he was really in danger
Surely if he hadn't done that they would have just given him a warm blanket and a plate of tendies and a 2 liter of Mountain Dew

Seems legit, no reason to shoot them
>>
>>63991877
This, he looked so out of place in the promo images and the trailer and whatnot, but in the actual film he was one of the few who felt like a real fucking Star Wars character.
>>
>>63991986
Ehehehe
>>
>anybody willing to admit he was better than expected?

absolutely not

TFA is a memefilm and not in a good way

watch more films and stop trying to force the idea that the new star wars flick is anything but shit
>>
>>63998032
>he's sweaty
>he's not white
>hasn't seen the movie yet
>he doesn't fit
You and many people unfortunately suffer from a self inflicted mental deficiency that you may likely never recover from, good luck mate
>>
>>63991877
BB-8 was the suprise for me.

Much more personality than R2D2. Just all around better.

Fite me
>>
>>63994741
>>63995335

Throwing one liners and heroes gunning down people has always been a problem in movies and from a realistic perspective as they always look like fucking psychopaths and that includes Luke. In real life people just don't say something sazzy or throw a big yipeee after killing some one regardless of how bad the enemy was. When watching these types of movies there's some logic you just gotta throw out the window.
Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.