[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get it. So it needs to consume a star to charge,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4
File: deathstar2.jpg (307 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
deathstar2.jpg
307 KB, 1000x563
I don't get it.

So it needs to consume a star to charge, right? So how did it fire the first time? Did it already have a charge? Did it only take half of the star's energy the first time than the rest the second time? Does it move around from star to star to get it's charge? Does it just take a little bit of the star at a time?

Can someone explain this to me. I think I missed something.
>>
how come the janitor knew how to blow it up?
>>
shit movie shit dilemmas
>>
I just assumed it traveled between starsystems like the Death Star could.

It's kind of interesting to think about. In order to destroy one system with a shot, it has to destroy a second system first as fuel.
>>
>>63982220
I assumed that too, but that also doesn't make sense. They never confirm that it has ever moved in the past. It was just a planet that they built shit on. There's no evidence that it had any boosters or warp-drive or whathaveyou. It doesn't add up, man.
>>
File: JJ-Abrams-Star-Wars.jpg (287 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
JJ-Abrams-Star-Wars.jpg
287 KB, 1200x800
JUST TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF
WHO CARES ABOUT DETAILS AND LOGIC?
>>
>>63982105

This was the most annoying thing for me. The first Death Star had to be taken down by stealing blue prints/plans from the Empire through the sacrifice of hundreds of Bothan spies and even then they almost got the plans back when they boarded Leia's ship.

Star Killer got taken down by a fresh recruit that cleaned the lavatories and a quick 5 minute scene where everyone throws a bunch of ideas around. Then there's that whole silly hyperspace to within the atmosphere 3 man sabotage unit part.
>>
>>63982953
The more I think about this movie, the dumber it gets.

It's like Jurassic World all over again.
>>
>>63982326

To be fair it isn't something that needs to be fired more than once or twice anyway.
>>
>>63982953
>Then there's that whole silly hyperspace to within the atmosphere 3 man sabotage unit part.
Why did they even need to take down the shield when they could have just had the X-Wings do that too?

inb4 it's a supercomplicated manuever only Han Solo and the Falcon can pull off
>>
>>63981901
Yes it can move, just like the deathstar could. The empire built it in the unknown regions of the galaxy and moved it in closer to the center where it could destroy Hosnian Prime.
>>
>>63981901
they destroyed it way too easily. should have taken 2 more films for them to finally blow it up.
>>
File: star-wars-new-galaxy-map-160952.jpg (186 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-new-galaxy-map-160952.jpg
186 KB, 900x1200
>>63982326
It can move. The official galaxy map says "Starkiller Base origin point".
>>
>>63983955
>this
>>
>>63983955

To be fair they made it overpowered as hell. It could take out whole star systems.
Did the thing even have to be in the same star system as the one it was targeting?
>>
>>63984032
So why didn't it move when it was being attacked?
>>
>>63982341
IT'S THE FORCE DUDE, NO NEED TOVEXPLAIN SHIT
>>
>>63985269
...What could moving it do? The X-Wings can literally just turn and follow it. And I doubt the planet could fucking MOVE fast enough to outrun a X-Wing let alone almost anything.
>>
>>63985621

For it to be able to travel around the galaxy it has to be able to enter hyperspace.
>>
>>63985676
And I'm sure the X-Wings can follow it in hyperspace too.
>>
>Big weapon who needs to recharge, consuming an entire sun just to shot once.
>Multiple targets.
>More range.
>Visible weak point.
>A fucking janitor can detect this weak point.

vs

>A smaller weapon who only needs to channel energy, it doesn't need to recharge.
>Only one target.
>The laser is super fast, no time to escape.
>Weak point requires a precision shot, extremely hard to do.
>That weak point can only be discovered by stealing the blueprints, it required advanced espionage.
>>
File: tmp_1431464185342-1392109037.jpg (12 KB, 215x235) Image search: [Google]
tmp_1431464185342-1392109037.jpg
12 KB, 215x235
>>63981901
also, you do know what would happen to a planet thats sun was suddenly consumed...shittest idea for a weapon award goes to...the turdstar kills planets by killing the planets its about to kill!
>>
>>63985701
Sure, but it could also evade it. They don't know where it's going. It could warp many times, stop before they do, go before they do, change directions. At least try to escape. Not just sit there and take it.
>>
>>63986726
Fair point actually.

The second Death Star could not escape as it was still in construction.
The first one didn't want to escape, because Tarkin considered the threat ridiculous, and believed he had already won.

This one has no excuse, unless we start making shit up, like "well see it's so big it takes some time" etc, but that's purely speculation.
>>
>>63986820

No, it really isn't speculation to say that things can't keep jumping to lightspeed over and over without some kind of cool down. I'd bet that it can't warp to lightspeed with it's surface unprotected either (hence the shield), so it would be risking many other things (like it's amotsphere) if it jumped while it was being attacked with the shield down.
>>
>>63981901
Better question, why did it need to charge using suns anyway? The death star relied on kyber crystals to power it's laser. The starkiller is built into Illum, a planet known for it's caves full of kyber crystals. Why not just harvest a ton of crystals. If the first order controlled a planet full of kyber crystals, why not give every stormtrooper a lightsaber. The only hard part about building a lightsaber is obtaining a kyber crystal.
>>
>>63987004
And this is not speculation, because we can find the citation to anything to this effect...? Where exactly?
We know that jumping to hyperspace doesn't automatically create that form of protection how?
We know it needs protection how?
>>
>needing a star to power a big sphere used to blow up a planet

wut
>>
>>63985365
Not saying that you did this but I really fucking hate it when people unironically say this shit to defend lazy writing.
>>
I just want to say that the reveal of this thing was a great moment for me.

I evaded spoilers as much as possible, even disregarding the posters and whatnot, and this shit hit me like goddam.
>>
>Lol here a third death star
>Only now let's take out all the tension and danger in fighting it

I can't believe how uninteresting the whole thing was. The first scene had lots of tension, I know they should know how to build it.
>>
>>63983952
>Yes it can move

Never shown or stated
>>
>>63984168
Nope, if I recall correctly the projectiles themselves traveled through hyperspace
>>
>>63981901
Wouldn't destroying a star in that way do some really fucked up things to the gravity in that area? Also wouldn't the planet they destroy be suddenly darker? Why didn't they show any of that?
>>
>>63985931
>>Visible weak point.
A weak point that couldn't be damaged from the outside.
>>
Thought it was cool when it technically moved the sun it absorbed after it got destroyed.
>>
Better question - if this huge weapon could be blown up in an afternoon by like 10 x wings, why didn't the republic blow it up BEFORE the first order destroyed like 5 planets?
>>
>>63987087

I don't know where you can find an exact citation to that effect. It might be on Wookieepedia, but it might be something best articulated in "Legends", and I'm not sifting through that site. It just stands to reason that if ships require fuel/power in Star Wars, then so does jumping to light speed, which is likely more taxing than regular flight. Especially for something that fires a beam that destroys planets and was in preparation for firing again and was devoting power to leeching energy from a sun.

We don't know if it needs protection or it doesn't automatically create that protection, but I just kind of assume when you're going faster than the speed of light through another dimension (hyperspace), it's lethal to be unprotected, and that a planet with an atmosphere isn't going to be safe.

And if you think it would be automatically protected, then what would be the point of warping to lightspeed if the X-Wings are already on it?
>>
>>63981901

who cares, it explodes anyway.
>>
Could it have been a Dyson Sphere?
>>
>>63983586
I'm guessing it's too risky to assume every pilot will pull off the maneuver correctly. They'd also be torn apart by the trees considering X-Wings are much frailer than the Falcon. The Ressistance fleet looked pretty tiny, so it's just safe to assume they didn't want to take any of those risks.

The entire Starkiller part is pretty silly. I feel JJ could've come up with a better method to resolve this story than Death Star 3.0, but he settled on the nostalgia grab. It clearly needed more planning and time to flesh out, which they didn't have.
>>
>>63986820
You want it to escape while actively charging?
>>
>>63987629

Holy fucking shit this thing was OP, you know they really could have made this thing even more terrifying but it barely lasted any time and was taken out in such a ridiculous way. There were barely any sacrifices and the resistance forces that took it out so small that it just seemed like a small feat. It was just a squadron of x-wings. No Frigates, Dreadnoughts, Cruisers, nothing, not even bombers.
>>
>>63983586

I just kind of assumed the best explanation (I don't mean it's a particularly good one) was that the Millenium Falcon was always billed as an extremely fast ship, and the shield didn't account for it.
>>
>>63987973
You're right.
There wasn't even a Porkins scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBFwcidw6HM
>>
>>63987821
New Republic didn't take the first order threat seriously whatsoever, wanted to avoid any further wars, probably didn't know about the starkiller or didn't believe it.

Why do you think their only action against the first order was to secretly supply the resistance?
>>
>>63981901
Well if it absorbed a whole star, wouldnt the whole galaxy collapse?
>>
>>63982105
He didn't know how to blow it up. He just said he knew hot to shut down its systems because he wanted to go there to save Rey
>>
>>63988195
Asian Exposition man and chunky X-wing pilot were the ones who found out how to destroy it right?
>>
>>63983496
If it destroys the star why would they even need to fire it? None of those planets would be able to sustain life, they would freeze and fall out of orbit.
>>
Why didn't the just rebuild the death star? It did the same thing but was way smaller and didn't need to consume stars to blow up planets. Also how the fuck did they see the republic planets blow up in the sky from orange yoda planet? That's the most ridiculous part of the whole thing.
>>
>>63988240
You missed it, because the exposition is fucking attrocious, but actually, this Starkiller Base fires across the entire galaxy, taking out a different star system's planets all together.

Which is ridicolous, and you're going to point to how they see the beam coming, and how the rebels saw it in the sky move AND connect, but it is what the movie says in the dialogue.
They literally say something along the lines of "right now in a far away system the senate lies", and then take said senate out.
>>
>>63988237
Chunky X wing Pilot used to be Matt Parker, the psychic cop, on Heroes. And it ruined the movie for me because all I kept thinking was "how the fuck did this dude manage to land this role when literally every other actor here except Han Solo is a literally who? or from a previous episode"
>>
>>63987894
fuck off
>>
>>63988194
>doesn't know the difference between a galaxy and a solar system
>>
>>63987629
In the book it does, not the movie.
>>
>>63988320
Sadly this.
Guy stood out like a sore thumb.
>>
>>63988320
Miles from LOST was there.
>>
>>63988417
See, I never watched LOST so I missed this. Which one?
>>
Nobody has answered me yet. Even if we assume it moves around (has to if we assume it takes out a whole star. Even with a binary system I don't think the other star could handle losing the it's pair) how the fuck does Finn know where to find it?

To me it just seems like the left hand not talking to the right about the representation of Starkiller.
>>
If Maz Kanata says the force moves through every living thing, why did touching an inanimate object trigger Rey's vision?
>>
>>63981901
Pablo Hidalgo (of the story group) said it charged from another star before it fired the first shot. And yes it can move.
They should have made it more clear though I think.
>>
>>63981901
I thought it was implied that it took a little bit of e sun's power each time.
>>
>>63983350
Regardless of plot inconsistencies the characters and acting are about 100x better than Jurrasic World, TFA is far and away the better movie.
>>
>>63988503
It doesn't make sense. It's the worst thought out thing in any Star Wars movie. They just wanted a death star that wasn't the death star.
>>
>>63981901
why doesnt it just move to a system and suck up the star, leaving the place inhospitable?
>>
>>63988503
The Resistance got a recon overlook of it, which is how they form that map. Fin isn't involved at all until he lies about knowing how to take down the shields. The system may have had two stars, which explains why they didn't jump after the first shot. Imperial arrogance has always been a thing.
>>
The more I read this thread the more I hate that whole segment. I loved the movie but the entire Starkiller Base was unnecessary. It didn't have any of the tension of the Death Star battle in Episode IV and felt more like an afterthought. They should've just had them go rescue Rey and BB-8 or something, but I guess they needed the space battle and big explosion.
>>
>>63988671
Why do that when you can snipe a system faster-than-light from the other side of the galaxy?
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.