[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a director with a more boring style? Zodiac, Gone Girl,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: david-fincher-photos-1.jpg (104 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
david-fincher-photos-1.jpg
104 KB, 1200x800
Is there a director with a more boring style?

Zodiac, Gone Girl, The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo and Social Network might aswell all have been the same film
>>
>>63978231
this is bait, or youre a huge fucking moron. go enjoy your transformers and ninja turtles you retard
>>
>>63978353
What?

I like Fincher's flicks, but jesus christ he has this same old boring style in every film of his, more than any other director
>>
>>63978353
Finchner fans are some of the most intelligent and rational people on the internet.
>>
fincher has mastered the technical aspects of filmmaking but when left unchecked tends to make shitty or boring strutcural\story decisions
>>
File: JacquesRivette.jpg (9 KB, 204x257) Image search: [Google]
JacquesRivette.jpg
9 KB, 204x257
Is there a director with a more boring style?

Out 1, Celine and Julie Go Boating and Beautiful Nuisance might aswell all have been the same film
>>
>>63978231
Abrams.

Seriously though, watch his older stuff. There is nothing boring about Fincher's "style"
>>
Eh, I don't love his style, but it's not really bad. It was effective in the Hitchcock-like Gone Girl. I can't fathom the praise for The Social Network though, really escapes me.
>>
>>63978798
I mean his newer stuff mainly.

I was half asleep at the couch last night watching TV and TGWTDT was starting on the film channel. I had no prior knowledge about the film, and I didn't know Fincher directed it at first, but after 5 minutes of it I thought to myself "this is Finchers work alright".

This is what I mean. You see it in every newer film of his, the same style every single film.
>>
>>63978231
He's perfect for the type of thriller-drama movies he makes. He's actually really good at directing, in a technical sense. The composition of a shot, the lighting and everything, camera movement, beautiful. Always has smooth pans and zooms, none of this shaky cam shit that people do that in my opinion detracts from the experience. I'm there to watch a story (without having to think about the camera), not look at Michael J. Fox home videos.
>>
>>63979045
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy his camera work too, but you see the same shots every film. That is my complaint.
>>
>>63979045
which is why i cant stand paul greengrass. shakycam galore. i can tell i would like the bourne movies, but the fucking shaky cam to make the scene more intense is just horrible...theres even one scene where the camera is shaking uncontrollably even though matt damon is just standing still at a train station, what the fuck.
>>
Can we all agree Social Network was overrated?
>>
>>63978231
Jar Jar abrams
>>
>>63978917
I know what you mean, he has a very distinct style. I wouldn't call it boring though and I don't consider it to be a bad thing either.

That being said, I've been disappointed with his latest stuff.
Gone Girl was only okay and Dragon Tattoo didn't do it for me either. I did really love Zodiac though, his best with Alien 3 which seems to be universally hated.
>>
>>63978639
Which story decisions has he made?
>>
>>63979161
He tends to be efficient, like in TGWTDT when the journalist main character wants to go to the island, you see him get on the train, get off the train, see a car, get in the car, ride in the car and arrive at the mansion in like a couple of seconds, the only slightly longer shot is when the camera pans to first introduce the island. Other directors would take way longer and try to give the audience a break and a false sense of connecting more with the character or whatever, but Fincher doesn't fuck around. Also, dialogue is cut together fast, there's no real pauses between lines, which is cool.

Not every movie has to be like that but he tends to choose projects that lend themselves so well to that exact style.

Although I think 99% of all movies should try to have camera work as good. In my mind, and Fincher's mind, the camera isn't supposed to be there physically. It's just our lens through which we look at the other world. The last movie I saw, The Revenant, had several moments when there was no camera motion (zooms, pans, movement), but you could still see it shaking and it's like "oh, there's obviously a dope with a handheld filming this". Also the accidental times they get stuff on the camera, like one time DiCaprio accidentally breathes on the lens and it gets clouded. I don't want that to happen.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.