[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Want to discuss the best Star Wars film, Revenge of the Sith,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
Want to discuss the best Star Wars film, Revenge of the Sith, /tv?

Constructive criticism is welcome as well but a note to prequel-hating contrarians and redditors: please try to restrain yourself and not shitpost too hard.
>>
I know this is bait but this film is easily in the top 3, or at least equal to Jedi.
>>
File: 1409510900905.jpg (59 KB, 709x913) Image search: [Google]
1409510900905.jpg
59 KB, 709x913
Pretty much the only bad thing is the Vader ending, except from that it's a perfect, original Star Wars movie.
>>
Now that I think about it I liked it better than VII
>>
It was actually pretty good starting at the end of the Windu-Palpatine fight. But that's mainly because it's borderline impossible to fuck up a plot that you wrote 35+ years ago. The only really bad parts about it are Padme "losing the will to live" and "NOOOOOOO".
>>
>45 minute cgi lightsaber fight
>good
>>
File: Hershlag qt.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Hershlag qt.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
>In 2012, art critic Camille Paglia praised the film in Glittering Images, comparing some of its scenes to works by modern painters and calling it the greatest work of art in recent memory.[64] Paglia explained, "The long finale of Revenge of the Sith has more inherent artistic value, emotional power, and global impact than anything by the artists you name. It's because the art world has flat-lined and become an echo chamber of received opinion and toxic over-praise. It's like the emperor's new clothes -- people are too intimidated to admit what they secretly think or what they might think with their blinders off. Episode III epitomizes the modern digital art movement, more so than other piece from the last 30 years. I had considered using Japanese anime for the digital art chapter of the book, but it lacked the overwhelming operatic power and yes, seriousness of Lucas's Revenge of the Sith."[65]
>>
>>63977239

Cheesy acting is probably the only downfall of it. Top tier soundtrack, action set pieces were pretty great. Could have done without the weird humor with R2 in the beginning, but still
>>
>>63977283
Can we stop with the 'rotj was bad' meme already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RFYoZ7H67A
>>
>>63977443

Padme losing the will to live was just a kid friendly way of having Padme fall into despair and end her life.
>>
I'm downloading the torrent as we speak. Listened to the OST again the other day and got the urge to watch it again. Just fucking listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRgXGigPKuc

John Williams at the top of his game.
>>
>>63977443
I interpreted "lost her will to live" simply as she committed suicide. Maybe Lucas thought it would be too grim for Star Wars though. I think it would've been great.
>>
>>63977239
It's my favorite of the prequels by far
>>
>>63977635
>tfw literally NOTHING this good is in the TFA soundtrack

Prequel OSTs were easily on par with the original trilogy. Even the Trade Federation theme was memorable and those characters were actual irredeemable shit.

>>63977688
I'm a big fan of the "theory" (pretty much canon) that Palpatine used the Force to kill her as a way to further his plan to drive Anakin mad. How else did he know she was dead at the end?
>>
>>63977509
He doesn't like Wicket, anon.
>>
>>63977509
I never said Jedi was bad though. Sith is actually pretty good.
>>
this is the worst meme of 2015
>>
>>63977768
John Williams probably didn't give a shit anymore realizing it's not even Star Wars without Lucas. The TFA score was shit.
>>
>>63977239
I actually agree. I like it the most
>>
>>63977509

Rotj would be way better if it wasnt for the special edition changes. They're a bit distracting in the first 2 films but george went way too far with jedi. Its awful
>>
It's amazing how much the music improves the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKCyhdvHeiM
>>
>>63977963
I'd still go with "disliking TFA makes you a contrarian" meme. But eh, you might have a point
>>
>>63978092
*It works better with the actual scene from the movie, where it cuts back and forth between Anakin killing the Separatists and Palpatine proclaiming the start of the Empire. Couldn't fin it on youtube, but here's the full song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awgAzxysyu0
>>
Literally the only decent SW movie after ESB.
>>
>>63977509
ROTJ was fucking great but that doesn't necessarily mean that ROTS was bad either.
>>
>>63977963
Well to be fair there's a difference between a prequel hating contrarian / redditor and a normal, sensible person who just happens to dislike the prequels. A sensible person who dislikes the prequels will cite legitimate criticisms for his dislike of the prequels and acknowledge that his opinions are his own without mandating that everybody agree with them. A redditor, at a loss for finding any legitimate criticisms, will instead resort to insulting prequel fans to gain a false sense of superiority, appeal to e-celebs and dismiss any arguments in favour of the prequels, demanding that only those who agree with him are "right".

It's possible to dislike the prequels and still be a well-rounded, sensible person, just like it's possible to dislike Birth of a Nation and still be a sensible person. Opinions are inherently subjective, and trying to apply objective concepts to them is committing the same fallacy that senseless prequel haters fresh off the boat from Reddit are prone to making.
>>
1. ESB
2. ANH
3. ROTS
4. TFA
5. ROTJ
6. AOTC
7. TPM
>>
Never seen it desu senpai. Stopped caring halfway into EPII. Did they change the cinematography and gritty look back to the original series ala EPVII? Or is it crisp and over produced, clean clothes and bubble cutaways like EPI and EPII?
>>
>>63977239

VI > IV > III > V > I > II
>>
>>63980113
The only correct post concerning these endless debates that I've read all day.
>>
>>63977509
This. Return of the Jedi is a mess of a movie, but it doesn't fail as hard as Revenge of the Sith. And unlike Revenge of the Sith it actually has some decent scenes that further the series' themes in compelling ways.

Obviously it's all just opinions, but I really don't understand how anyone can prefer Revenge of the Sith over it. It's just awful.
>>
>>63981298
Because of stupid bears destroying the Empire. ROTS was far more grounded.
>>
>>63981298
I prefer ROTS. Believe it
>>
>>63981298

Revenge of the Sith didn't have Ewoks.
>>
>>63981480
You're right. It had terrible dialogue, terrible special effects, bad acting, and overwrought action scenes that overstay their welcome.

I don't care for the ewoks either (not because of how they beat the Empire but rather because I think they're a distraction that hurts the pacing of the film) but they're not as egregious as General Grievous (heh) or the more fundamental issues of Revenge of the Sith.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.