[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In the Force Awakens, a material possession gives the protagonist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: empire-luke-training-111011.jpg (69 KB, 610x312) Image search: [Google]
empire-luke-training-111011.jpg
69 KB, 610x312
In the Force Awakens, a material possession gives the protagonist their spiritual vision.

In Empire Strikes Back, the protagonist is told to remove his material possessions to experience his spiritual vision.

RIP classic Star Wars' Eastern philosophies
looks like the West won

The force is no longer a neutral energy that good and evil people manipulate, it's a god with a will of it's own. The force can literally call to people and give them visions without their permission. To have his vision, Luke seeks it out, him and his mentor meditate and learn how to have visions and look through time and space with the force.
The stupid fucking Jew writer thinks that the Force is some sort of God like entity that helps out good people. That's completely retarded.
When the prequels added the lore that "there is a prophecy" that takes away from the accomplishments or choices of the characters. It was all fated to be by the spooky Force god.

The force is ki/chi. It's energy. It's everything. The force is based on the idea that we are all one concious being, experiencing itself subjectively, and if you tap into your true self and your beginnings, you can manipulate yourself, or in otherwords, the world around you.

Enjoy your new christian, westernized lore.

No I'm not a weeaboo, fuck jap shit, fuck anime. But their philosophical ideas are a lot more relateable than this "good guy force god giving visions" bull shit.
>>
File: sw_lgi_gallery_10.jpg (216 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sw_lgi_gallery_10.jpg
216 KB, 1920x1080
Bump n cuck
>>
File: faithbruh.png (376 KB, 717x305) Image search: [Google]
faithbruh.png
376 KB, 717x305
>>
In TFA she basically reads an imprint off the weapon, similar to geo reading or whatever with "real" psychics. The weapon "calls" to her in a manner of speaking because its been used by Force sensitives so much in highly emotional circumstances, and she's force sensitive, so it's like a magnet.

The sword doesn't actually impart anything special to her. It's her going zen in the fight and turning her mind inward that accomplishes that. At first she refuses to close her eyes and accept it, but at the end she does, and that's the turning point - the recognition of the force and awakening to her destiny.
>>
>>63973745
Feels like you didn't read the post, then responded anyway tho tho.

The force literally gives a vision. It even gives her a vision of something she wasn't alive for. This would be okay if she was training with Luke and learning to meditate. But no, an inanimate object gives a vision that she was not actively seeking out.
That's god awful. I don't see how it can be defended unless you're okay with the idea of a Force God that oversees everything. Something GAVE her that vision, she didn't seek it out like Luke does.
>>
File: devinsprofilepic.jpg (71 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
devinsprofilepic.jpg
71 KB, 720x960
the force got it's shit JUST
>>
Actually the force is metichlorines you fucking pleb watch the prequels
>>
>>63974243
At this point, pretty much. The force is just a god and the amount that the god cares about you is measured by midichlorians.
>>
The cuck is strong with this one
>>
It's shit made for kids so they can sell toys.

Why are you looking deeper?
>>
>>63973604
Star Wars always had very powerful western mythology undercurrents m8, the story is very heavily reliant on tropes that date back to Greek theater, there are all kinds of scenes that look back on Western myths.

Both the trench run and the asteroid belt can be compared to the labyrinth, Luke's family drama has all sorts of undercurrents of incest and betrayal that were popular themes in Greek theater, perhaps most commonly shown in Antigone.

Christianity is very much present as well, especially shown in the repeated theme of redemption, through Lando first then through Vader. Perhaps the single most powerful message the OT offers us is that redemption is ALWAYS possible.

The story Vader itself is easily understandable through a Christian lens. Vader is the chosen one, created by God (aka the force) to bring his light to the darkness of the material world, to banish forces of darkness. But unlike Christ, Vader bent on the mount and submitted to temptation. He fell to his knee before Palpatine in exchange for worldly power, a false promise which saw him lose everything he loved and cast the world further into darkness. But of course, in the end he was redeemed and in the end, he fulfilled God's plan for him.

Destiny in SW is perhaps the strongest western component of the philosophy. That it is inescapable, that the force has a plan for those living in the universe, that some are given a special destiny and that this path is often fraught with tragedy.

The Force was not just a passive, neutral energy in Lucas SW. The story of Anakin itself shows that, Anakin was created by the force in reaction to the growing power of the dark side. The force is both a Western godform and an eastern unifying energy at the same time.
>>
>>63973883
Obi-Wan
>>
>>63974715
>The story of Anakin itself shows that, Anakin was created by the force in reaction to the growing power of the dark side
You're citing prequel lore, this is completely irrelvent, reread my OP. I claimed 7 and the prequels ruined the force. Yes, after the OT, the christian allegory started. I'm aware the retard George Lucas finally got to write a script by himself and was a 50 year old christian man and made a prequel that has continuity errors.
None of that refutes how the force is portaryed in 4-6.

The rest of your post literally doesn't have to do with the force, just monomyth concepts, which I never said I disagree with.

I'm not sure if I can respond to anything else you have to say if you're a fan of the prequels and consider them canon.
>>
>>63973604
>I'm not a weeaboo, fuck jap shit, fuck anime

space battleship yamato > star wars original trilogy
>>
>>63973883
The force only "gives" her a vision if you choose to interpret it that way. Maz Kanata is just some overly poetic mystic wannabe who says shit like "it calls to you" the same way she talks stupid shit about reading people's eyes.

There's nothing in the actual movie that suggests that another force user might not have similar results from handling it.
>>
>>63975376
Doesn't Maz Kanata feel like such a soulless attempt at recreating Yoda without understanding what made Yoda cool? Or am I a faggot?
>>
>>63973604
You guys know that it was Obi-Wan who spoke to her when she touched the lightsaber right?
It wasn't just 'the force' as an entity it was Obi-Wan's force ghost.
>>
>>63975600
Oh. If it turns out to be that I'll kill myself IRL in the theater after killing everyone else, for having made this thread.
No that would make it better, but still she had actual visions. She SAW shit. I'm okay with force ghost Obi guiding her to the light saber and shit, but she had a vision bruh.
>>
>>63975702
Yeah that was pretty silly to have her hallucinate that shit.

And I agree that Star Wars has always been very Japanese in tone. I mean Darth Vader is obviously a fucking samurai.
>>
>>63973604
Yeah, they failed at this pretty much. Good Op good gooood
>>
>>63975838
+1
>>
>>63975528
Maz Kanata was overall bad, one of the weaker parts of the movie. You can tell they were just trying to make yellow girl Yoda. It doesn't work though, not the way it's supposed to.

Little kids might see it differently though, who knows. Certain things like "I like that wookie" are good for a chuckle.
>>
>>63973883

The force gave her the vision as much it gave Luke his vision in the cave in Empire Strikes Back. They're not that different, if anything for her it makes even more sense. If the force is just an impersonal energy field then why couldn't certain locations or things have particularly strong auras - if only as a kind of residue of someone specific who was strong in the force?
>>
>>63976321

Luke meditated. They are indeed a lot different.
>>
>>63976421
Luke's meditation has nothing to do with that scene. Yoda makes it explicitly clear that its the cave itself that is responsible for the spirit quest.
>>
>>63976421

The fuck? Go actually watch the movies again dumbass Luke walks into a cave and has a vision.
>>
>>63974939
OG Captain Harlock series > Battleship Yamato > Galaxy Express 999 > OG Trilogy
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.