[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lucas is a fucking genius
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8
File: padme and anakin.jpg (42 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
padme and anakin.jpg
42 KB, 640x360
I used to think George's intention in having Jar Jar propose giving Sheev emergency powers in Episode 2 was to show how the character had gone from a buffoon to a qualified representative

In fact, George was actually digging at the politicians of the Republic. He's not making Jar Jar a hero as much as a caricature of those who so carelessly give away their autonomy or liberty to an overly centralized state promising security. He's not saying Jar Jar is a hero, he's saying people who would trade liberty for security are basically Jar Jars.

Many complained about how Anakin felt like some creepy stalker and Padme just seemed to impulsively respond to Anakin's affections when they were about to die.

But I now realize this was the whole point! George was not trying to write the greatest tale of forbidden love ever, but rather trying to subvert the tale of forbidden in true Shakespearean fashion. George was not saying Anakin and Padme belonged together so much as he was trying to say that it was better that Anakin and Padme SHOULD NOT get together and that the relationship itself is extremely unhealthy. Padme didn't choose Anakin because he was such a great catch, nor did Anakin choose Padme because she was the best catch, but rather they both chose each other because they are deeply repressed individuals. Padme is an enabler of Anakin's worst impulses because she actually craves the life of a normal woman and she uses Anakin to satisfy her own repressed desires just as Anakin uses her as a replacement for his mother. The kiss on Geonosis is supposed to be tragic.

>woah.png
>>
Even if you're right, it was executed very poorly.
>>
File: 1350199522094.gif (36 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1350199522094.gif
36 KB, 720x720
>>63972230

Was it executed poorly or was it executed so well that your infantile pleb mind was unable to understand what was really going on?
>>
>>63972161
Or OR

He had no idea how to get his plot to work so he said "fuck it, they kiss".
>>
>tfw "I don't like sand" was a metaphor showing his descent from his good status during his childhood on Tatooine, the sand planet
>>
>>63972472

given Lucas' huge attention to detail I really doubt that.

Also, ROTS would seem to prove that George wanted the romance to be "bad" because it is a bad relationship.

The Mortis Trilogy of episodes in TCW, headed by Lucas also has an apparition of Shmi telling Anakin that his love for Padme is a "prison"

Even listening to Across the Stars, it's not a very conventional love theme.
>>
File: padme%20amidala.jpg (547 KB, 2012x1988) Image search: [Google]
padme%20amidala.jpg
547 KB, 2012x1988
I just want a Padme gf ;_;
>>
>>63972771
>Across the Stars (Love Theme)
>Star Crossed Lovers Theme
It's obvious that Lucas saw the relationship as a doomed one
>>
>>63972387
If it was Georges intentions to have a character everybody hates do something extremely ridiculous and have everybody relate that to modern politics, then yes it was executed poorly.
>>
>>63972161
yeah, you're right
>>
>>63972771
>given Lucas' huge attention to detail I really doubt that.

Such a detailed oriented guy. I wonder if the monotonous performances were all part of his "master vision".
>>
>>63972161
>>63972387
>>63972771

George, JJ did a better job. Its ok, you still have the original trilogy. Stop it now
>>
>>63973063
>monotonous performances were all part of his "master vision".
please don't tell me you didn't know they were
>>
>>63972827

Also, look at the ending to Attack of the Clones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CMKRboU1ls

The way the Across the Stars kicks is interwoven with the imperial march, it doesn't really uplift your spirits that much. Sure, it's a bit of a higher note than the march, but not by a very significant margin.

In retrospect, considering Anakin's fall, there's no reason the wedding shouldn't be seen as being just as ominous as when Palpatine is overlooking the clone army.
>>
>>63972161
Padme doesn't want a normal life, I'd say she instigates his hate and internal fire cuz she's a bored bitch and ani hates himself for his feelings which are against the Jedi code where as luke knows his hate comes from love for his friends and that he's a good person and doesn't go dark
>>
>>63973180
This is nothing new though, the relationship was always meant to signal how Anakin fell to the dark side. Lucas even shot additional scenes after shooting for RotS had ended and used editing to change Anakin's fall from one where he thought the Jedi were taking over to the one we got where he did it primarily to save Padme.
>>
File: deep.jpg (25 KB, 371x346) Image search: [Google]
deep.jpg
25 KB, 371x346
>>63972161
>>
>>63972161
damn..
>>
>>63972827
>>63973180
>that militarized theme about a minute in
>sets the tone perfectly for conflict and scheming
>>
>>63973180
>John Williams didn't even try for Episode VII
He's dead inside, isn't he?
>>
File: 7654745656.jpg (314 KB, 1232x888) Image search: [Google]
7654745656.jpg
314 KB, 1232x888
>>63973063
>>
>>63973310
>>63973341

>so this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause
>jar jar was the key to all of this
>>
>>63973767
>mfw Lucas was using Bresson's acting philosophy
Patrician as fugggg
>>
>>63973767
based

this is what ive been fucking saying
>>
>>63973193
In the deleted scenes for episode 2, its made a little more obvious that Padme is repressed, especially those which talk about her early career, her last and probably only boyfriend and those which show her family
>>
I'm not sure on particular instances, but it seems that many critics of prequels forget that this all was doomed to go to hell. It really makes much better watching if you remember that good guys ARE morons by design, since they will lose.
>>
>>63973767
Plebs BTFO
>>
>>63974506
they didnt have to be controlling everything from the start of the movie and the most important guys in the galaxy. its really annoying.
>>
>>63972161

No shit. Welcome to the light side anon. Join us in the fight defending the prequel empire against the capeshit rebels.
>>
>>63972161
Now that the prequel's reputations are steadily improving I think it's time for a step 2 in our master plan.

I propose that we destroy the reverence surrounding Empire Strikes Back so that New Hope can get the recognition it deserves. Luke on Dagobah and Han, Leia and Chewbacca fleeing the Empire is all slow and boring while New Hope flies along right from the start. Everyone praises the fight between Luke and Vader to hell and back but I think that the attack on the original Death Star was easily the peak of Star Wars, the whole movie smoothly builds up to it and it's a great climax. Everyone defends Empire as a knee-jerk reaction but think about it, what's better? And if you say acting I won't bother replying.

Also who really gives a shit about Star Wars when THX1138 is better than all of them?
>>
>>63975835

A New Hope and Return of the Jedi have always been better than Empire. This is a fact that goes without saying
>>
>>63975992
I've always found that 90% of people think Empire is the best no contest. It gets very frustrating.
>>
>prequels are great
>lucas was a genius

I like these new memes.
>>
>>63975835
>>63975992
I don't know about Return of the Jedi, but IV is so far ahead of V

The only reason V is so popular is because of its pop-culture moment towards the end. It's become a bit of a meme.

I kind of have to rewatch ROTJ to form any opinion on it again.
>>
>>63976116

They think it is the best cause of the iconic third act, not because its the best movie as a whole
>>
>>63975992
>Return of the Jedi
It's the one I enjoy the most. It's that feeling I get when the rebel fleet begins to engage the imperial fleet, and Williams' epic score begins. Or, when Luke walks into the Throne room to meet Sheev, accompanied by Darth. Again, Williams' score is masterful here. None of the other movies are quite as exciting and spine-tingling.
>>
>>63976524

>spine-tingling

My top spine-tingling moments are when Vader is watching Luke get killed by Sidious, when Vader's mask first goes on in III, and the other one is Order 66.
>>
File: 42.jpg (28 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
42.jpg
28 KB, 470x313
>>63972776
No godly jewish princess in stupid TFA. Too feminine for progressist disney.
>>
>>63975992
>Empire Strikes back is now the worst of the OT

The hits just keep on coming!
>>
>>63976778
It's glorious. Two weeks ago I tried saying Empire is overrated and it's popularity is due to meme status and I got called a pretentious cunt. Now most people agree with me!

It's happened, there's a change in the air, /tv/ is experiencing a paradigm shift, JJ Abrams made a movie so unimpressive that it could potentially be the first step towards the death AAA trash.
>>
>>63976764
>cast two literal Jewish-American princesses in both his trilogies
G-d bless George Lucas
>>
File: george jar jar bush.jpg (2 MB, 2267x3000) Image search: [Google]
george jar jar bush.jpg
2 MB, 2267x3000
>>63972997
lucas stated inn interviews contemporary to attack of the clones and revenge of the sith that he was satirizing american politics
>>
>>63976952
who the fuck is darth vader
>>
>>63977132
Anakin is /pol/
>>
>mixing real life AMERICAN politics into a international kids for kids and teens
Can you even call this an art? Or is this just propaganda?
>>
>>63976778

Return of the Jedi is my favorite cause it has what I like best about the camp of ANH and the darkness of ESB

It also some of the iconic lines of the series from Luke and Sheev
>>
>>63978471
Porque no las dos?
>>
>>63976764
She looked almost as coked up as Carrie Fisher in that night scene Episode 3
>>
remember that time bush was banished from his home underwater and ended up defeating a bunch of robots.
>>
>>63973767
>"I have to make the movie for the same audience base I made the first ones for: 12-year-olds."
>George thinks Star Wars is for children
>>
>>63972161
I thought that was obvious. Padme and Anakin are obviously not meant to be together and the senate is corrupt and willing to sell their liberty, the films beat you over the head with those points.
>>
>>63980904

reddit and youtube didn't seem to get it
>>
>>63980024

kek
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.