[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was she a Mary-Sue? >knows everything about magic and can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7
File: magic punch.gif (489 KB, 500x253) Image search: [Google]
magic punch.gif
489 KB, 500x253
Was she a Mary-Sue?

>knows everything about magic and can quote entire passages about history or magical theory verbatim
>international quidditch star asks her to the prom
>literally never wrong
>gets to perform badass actions which other characters performed in the books
>good looking despite being described as plain in the books
>her horrific actions (permanently scarring Marietta, getting Umbridge raped by centaurs, imprisoning a reporter, kidnapping and impersonating two innocent 12 year olds) never ever have any repercussions
>>
>black
lol nope
>>
>>63969579

Mary-Sue is obviously a white girl's name you fucking racist.

She was a Daishiki-Washington.
>>
>>63969608
Well she was black and plain in the original books, but the movies made her a beautiful white girl.
>>
nothing about harry potter involves good writing so it doesn't matter
>>
>>63969653
You don't know that, she never outright said she was white
>>
>>63969579
No, she wasn't the main character. Mary Sue doesn't just mean you're competent and never wrong. It also means the story is written to make you the most important, most likable, most focused-on character in the tale.
>>
>>63969726

...try reading that post again, Sherlock.
>>
>>63969739
Yes and that's what happened, she took Harry and Ron's actions and lines and solved everything unlike in the books. She basically assumed a second protagonist role.
>>
>Mary-Sue

I'M SO FUCKING SICK AND TIRED OF THIS WORD FUCK OFF
>>
If we're going to bring up Garys and Marys of recent memory, Bilbo Baggins has nomination
>>
>>63969579
No.

She lacked interpersonal skills. She couldn't call the broomstick to her like Harry did effortlessly. I think she was shit with her patronus as well.

She was fantastic at all wizard theory, which made her great. But she wasn't inherently great.
>>
File: smug mudblood.gif (438 KB, 250x121) Image search: [Google]
smug mudblood.gif
438 KB, 250x121
>>63969864
Well I'm sick and tired of Mary-Sues.

>>63969931
No he doesn't, you don't understand the word.
>>
>>63969836
you'll understand it one day, watson
>>
>>63970001
>She lacked interpersonal skills.

Only in the first movie. After that she becomes literally miss perfect at everything.
>>
>>63969931
they're all just mary sues, gary stu sounds fucking stupid
>>
>>63969842
No, she wasn't nearly as important as Harry. No one was.
>>
>>63970023
Suuuuuure.
once her gets the ring he is absolutely a Gary Stu.
The inly big fuckup i can think of is mentioning "barrel rider" to Smaug and putting laketown in danger. But we knew that was going to happen in anyways since the prophecy was foretold
>>
>>63970186
A character doesn't have to be the most important to be a Mary-Sue.
>>
>>63970080
>Well she was black and plain in the original books, but the movies made her a beautiful white girl.

>she never said she was white

?
>>
>>63970230
Nah, he just stumbles through everything and doesn't know what he's doing most of the time. He doesn't have any skills besides sneaking and playing riddles.

>going to happen in anyways since the prophecy was foretold

What prophecy?
>>
File: 1450804275329.jpg (68 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1450804275329.jpg
68 KB, 1280x720
>>63969579
It really pissed me what they did to her character in the movies. I am glad the play will now fix that with this fine actress.
>>
>>63970234
They literally do. You're using the term wrong. It initially was an author self-insert whom the characters and story naturally revolved around, even when they logically shouldn't be the center of attention. They were perfect, great, and sexy at everything; if they weren't around, then everyone was asking, "Where is Mary Sue?"

You're just using it has a blanket term for a poorly-written character. Bella Swan is a Mary Sue. Hermione is just the typical know-it-all trope.
>>
>>63970302
>saves thorin from azog
>saves company from spiders
>saves company from elves.
>
>survives closeup encounter with smaug
>saves thorin from himself by hiding the arkenstone
>becomes rich as all fuck
Thats just off the top of my head

>what prophecy
The Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, shall come into his own. And the bells shall ring in gladness, at the Mountain King's return, But all shall fail in sadness, and the Lake will shine and burn.
>>
>>63969739
side characters can also be mary sues you faggot. Hermione is rowling's self insert. I think she even mentioned in an interview
>>
>>63970548

>rowling's writing is fanfiction
>>
>>63970548
>side characters can also be mary sues you faggot

Nope.
>>
File: shootmetravis.gif (34 KB, 369x200) Image search: [Google]
shootmetravis.gif
34 KB, 369x200
>people think Mary Sue is a sexist term because Rey is being slated as one
>>
>>63970617
Yes they can. Hermione was based on an idealized version of young Rowling. She's her Mary Sue.
>>
>>63970691
>Hermione was based on an idealized version of young Rowling.

Sure. Being a character-insert doesn't instantly make someone a Mary Sue though. Sometimes it's just the author writing what the know and wanting themselves to be a part of imagined adventure. Hermione just isn't important enough to classify as a Mary Sue. She doesn't even end up with the main character.

Hell, Ginny is MUCH more of a Mary Sue. This nobody fucking character is suddenly hot shit and everyone can stop drooling over her.
>>
>>63970818
Fuck, everything to do with book 6 Ginny made me mad
>>
>>63970818
>She doesn't even end up with the main character.
She didn't end up with Harry because Ron's character was based on Ron is literally based off her best friend who she is in love with.
>>
>>63970990
*Ron is literally based off her best friend who she is in love with.
>>
>>63970990
This. It was Rowling's wish-fulfillment story, where instead of being an annoying little nerd whom no one likes she's the smart hero whom everyone likes including international sports players.
>>
>>63971065
To be fair, we all want to dick Emma Watson.
>>
>>63970818
>not important enough
>proceeds to label one of the most unimportant characters of the main plot as a mary sue.
Make up your mind
Im not saying Hermoine is one, but she is alot closer to it than fucking Ginny
>>
>>63969579

not on the books. She has flaws that were ignored in the movies and fans ignore.
>>
quidditch is only around so harry can show off
>>
>>63971116
The characters didn't treat Ginny like she was unimportant, which is the point. Once again, the term does not mean what you think it does.
>>
>>63970087

Movies maybe, but only Ron likes spending time with her alone. Harry gets bored.
>>
>>63971859
I know, I was talking about the movies.
>>
>>63971976
Nobody treats hermoine like she's unimportant either so i dont see your point
>>
File: he heh.gif (705 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
he heh.gif
705 KB, 245x245
>mfw Hermione would be played by a black actress in the Harry Potter remake
>>
>>63972114
Filthy little mudskins
>>
>>63969579
when i remember right she was not as good as using magic as Harry (fourth book) and she sucked at flying on broom

Harry felt like a Merty Sue some times especially in the third book where he managed to save Sirius and the griffin and won the price for Gryffindor
>>
>>63972199
not as good in using magic as Harry (fourth book)
>>
File: ron.png (82 KB, 533x1730) Image search: [Google]
ron.png
82 KB, 533x1730
actually, maybe
>>
>>63970087
>then she becomes miss perfect
Is this thread trying to imply that the main character being a mary sue in starshit is ok because a supporting character was a mary sue in Harry potter?

Is there an implication that hermione in the movies was well done?

I hope not, because it was be really fucking stupid
>>
>>63970356
jesus! she looks more like lord voldemort.
>>
>>63972317
reblogged ;)
>>
>>63970537
Except his status as a mary sue doesn't extend to his personality

And even still he can't resist the ring

The movies are shit anyway
>>
>>63972378
>Is there an implication that hermione in the movies was well done?

No, there's an implication that the movies gave her more positive qualities and completely ignored her negative ones.
>>
>>63970356
Seriously she wouldnt look so bad if British people didnt brush their teeth with stomach acid
>>
>people forgetting that a mary sue isn't just ability, it's also personality and the way other characters treat them

>TFA fags desperately searching for another popular character to attach rhe status to

Pathetic
>>
>>63972519
>completely ignored
The first batch didn't

It was only like 4 and up where that happened

Her character is pretty shit on the whole, but she isn't the main character anyway
>>
>>63972317
The worst instance is in the Devil Snare pit in PoS, where the book and movie completely swap Ron and Hermiones actions and attitudes around. So, as usual, Ron looks like a dumbass while Hermione is perfect. They made Ron completely useless in the movies because that faggot Steve Loates was obsessed with Hermione.
>>
>>63969579
emma watson had a crush on tom felton when she was a kid
>>
>>63969579
>literally never wrong

She's wrong most of the time
>>
>>63969579
no cause everyone thinks she's an insufferable cunt and her know it all ness is not endearing

also she was white you faggots.
>>
File: niggermione.png (15 KB, 515x227) Image search: [Google]
niggermione.png
15 KB, 515x227
>>63974159
Rowling confirmed she was black.
>>
>>63972114
Honestly I fucking DROPPED the play when hearing that. Unless she's just a side character and it's all about the kids?

I went to see Les Mis on Broadway this summer and holy shit was I fucking flabberghasted when Eponine was suddenly black. I don't even care about black people but holy fuck I was fucking blown out of the water. Especially since the fucking Thenadiers, her parents, where white. Ruined a good part of the play for me. Why do people do this? At least make it inherently accurate.

Then I guess nobody could make the Thenadiers black without it having backlash since they behave like literal niggers.
>>
>>63976391
lol who gives a fuck, she was an annoying bitch anyway
>>
>>63974847
Well that's... diplomatic.
Gotta say, she knows how to handle her tumblr fans and play them like fiddles.
>>
>>63970356
holy shit hahahah wow that is fucked

looks like her bloodline didn't get the memo that human eyes are white now
>>
>>63969579

Not in the books, but she was in the movies
>>
>>63969579
>>her horrific actions (permanently scarring Marietta, getting Umbridge raped by centaurs, imprisoning a reporter, kidnapping and impersonating two innocent 12 year olds) never ever have any repercussions

she is ruthless when she feels she is justified.

She is also a hypocrite. She cheats so Ron can become keeper, then gets angry when she believes Ron cheated in a game.

She was annoying about the hbp book too. Its like she couldn't wait to say "i told you so" just because Harry was doing better in class.

she is also close minded
>>
>>63969836
Autism is real.
>>
>>63970279
He was joking, you fucking faggot.
>>
Funny how in the books we know when someone is brown, asian, or black
>>
Did a whole bunch of people just now find out what a Mary Sue is? I thought it was common knowledge.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.