[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The "Mary Sue" Meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45
File: Women Of 2015.jpg (242 KB, 1281x718) Image search: [Google]
Women Of 2015.jpg
242 KB, 1281x718
>Short dyke haircut
>Mechanics that can fix anything
>Need-no-man attitude
>Better-than-any-man abilities such as piloting/driving
>Can best and overpower experienced, grown men in combat
>Good at anything they put their mind to with little to no practice
>Both rated 95%+ in RT

What did Hollywood mean by these?
>>
>Furiosa overpowered Max in combat

what the fuck, Max was chained to dead weight, dehydrated, had most of his blood sucked out and just went face first into a nuclear sandstorm and he STILL ended up winning that fight against Furiosa
>>
Landis is a hypocritie
>>
>>63969108

She was beating the shit out of him with one arm and it is implied she would have killed him if the gun had bullets

I'm pretty sure they intended to make it so, nobody takes into account these things anyway such as "he was blooddrained" or "he was wounded by Chewie".
>>
>>63969203
the gun did have bullets, Max managed to eject the clip before she fired it

did you mean the shotgun? Because that had shells but it was broken, and Max knew it. He was bluffing with it when he first found them drinking water.
>>
Just going to gloss over the whole "My plan failed so I'm basically going to commit suicide and take everyone with me unless Max stops me" bit right?

The whole point isn't about how often a character succeeds or even how well but how often they fail and/or what other flaws they have.

Rey never fails and has no flaws.

Furiosa gets beaten by Max and even comes to depend on him (but also trust him) more as the film goes on. She also has numerous character flaws. She's arrogant, has serious trust issues, is more emotional than she wishes she was, and she underestimates both Joe and Max to an almost fatal degree.
>>
>>63968996

>>Short dyke haircut

Rey's hair is clearly pulled back in a bun or pony tail dipshit.

Protip : If you are gunna start a thread, don't let the first this you say be wrong.
>>
>>63968996
Most of your post is wrong but it means people don't know how to write good female characters.
>>
Are you people fucking retarded? Furiosa is the opposite of a Mary Sue. She's every bit of Max's equal but is never OP. She's a god damn Post apocalyptic survivor with one arm.
>>
>>63969366
>Rey never fails and has no flaws
She has daddy issues
She trusts people too easily
She runs away from her destiny
She's overwhelmed by Kylo and taken prisoner
>>
>>63968996
Furiosa needed Max though. He's the one that fought the Bullet Farmer. He fought the Warboys while Furiosa was busy driving. Max WON the fight against her.

Rey didn't need anyone. Hell, she was already escaping when Finn/Han arrived. Rey WON the fight against Kylo.
>>
>>63969203
>"he was wounded by Chewie".

Literally everyone with a working brain took that into account, since he was beating the wound during the fight.
>>
>>63970921
>She has daddy issues
Tragic backstory, not a flaw.

>She trusts people too easily
...no she doesn't. She's the least trusting out of Finn and Po.

>She runs away from her destiny
Temporarily, but yeah. This is true.

>She's overwhelmed by Kylo and taken prisoner
This is the one time she fails, but it doesn't make up for the rest IMHO. Especially because everything she does while captured is fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>63968996
Furiosa got her ass kicked by Max the first time they met, not much of a Mary Sue.
>>
>>63968996
>Modern Womyn
>squishy baby faced chicks with no experience made to appeal to tumblr

>Back in the day when actors were good women who looked the part
>did weapon training and shit
>pic related

They changed what it meant to be a "strong" women because tumblr cant identify someone who is physically fit and has a single flaw (because tumblr believes they dont either)
>>
File: fore.jpg (112 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
fore.jpg
112 KB, 1280x720
>>63969203
>it is implied she would have killed him if the gun had bullets
You mean the pistol that Max put to Furiosa's head and could have killed her with at any time?
You mean the pistol that Max ejected the clip out of purposefully so that Furiosa would be unable to fire at him?

Or do you mean the shotgun that Max knew was out of bullets and used as a bluff?

You're delusional if you think Max wasn't completely ahead of Furiosa in that scene. I won't claim they aren't pretty much equal in terms of skill, but Max had a handicap and still managed to beat her. Not to mention he saved her life by the end of the movie.

A woman being on equal terms with a man is not the same as a woman overpowering a man.
>>
>>63971159

It was set up with her sperlunking from earlier in the movie. She only jedi tricks one guard, she hides around til shes caught up with the guys.

Its inly cause Chewie shot Kylo amd Finn knicked him that she had a chance anyway.
>>
>>63971205
Yup. Furiosa basically failed at her quest, Max got them to turn back and won for them. People on this board looked at the surface, but in truth Max was the more competent and crucial for the story of the two.
>>
>>63968996
Furiosa is not even close to being a Mary Sue. You didn't watch the movie.
>>
File: 1245324521345235.jpg (97 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1245324521345235.jpg
97 KB, 640x427
>>63968996
a woman with mechanics abilities
>>
>>63971286
Most are triggered about the sniper scene, and the fact that the stakes in the story were Furiosa's. Max could have left at any time, he had no reason to be there other than his desire to help them.

Of course these people are idiots that have never watched a Mad Max movie before.
>>
>>63968996
You hate Indiana Jones, don't you?
>>
>>63968996
The prequels for some reason established that every Star Wars protagonist needs to be a mechanic that lives on a desert planet, apparently.

Because pottery.
>>
>>63968996
The only problem I have with Rey is that she seems to have way too much familiarity with everything battle related, having only the lock thing as a "woopsie lol" moment. Hell, she lived most of her life in a small sand planet.

You could argue that it was ~~THE FORCE~~, but it is still an ass pull. The mind-trick without ever having even been close to any jedi training or force-related information was fucking retarded.
>>
>>63971362
anon there was a group of hot chicks in underwear, he had every reason to be there

also
>an sks
>making that shot
huehuehuehue
>>
>>63968996
>>63968996

Except Furiosa was a genuinely good character.

Everything Rey does is all due to convenience, laziness and to push her as the lead character of the new series.
>>
File: xwfrswylxrbchydayxvg.png (416 KB, 636x380) Image search: [Google]
xwfrswylxrbchydayxvg.png
416 KB, 636x380
>>63971439
Either way the scene made it pretty clear that Furiosa was a better shot than Max. Which is fine, nobody should have a problem with that.

If you want Max to be better than everyone in the story at everything than you're just asking for him to be a Gary Stu.
>>
>>63971256
best girl
>>
>>63970921
>She's overwhelmed by Kylo and taken prisoner
so she can do the mind trick no one every told her about wink wink.
>>
Is Indiana Jones a Gary Sue?
>>
>>63971542
It's not even that she's an overall better shot, it's more like she's more experienced with that Rifle. Max probably never fired an SKS before, (or even if he has it's been a long time) and he did see Furisoa using it to play Duck Hunt against the Rock Riders
>>
File: best.png (504 KB, 535x535) Image search: [Google]
best.png
504 KB, 535x535
>>63971581
Correct.
>>
>>63971605
She learned it from Kylo literally the scene before she does it
>>
>>63971437
I agree the mind trick is a stretch, but it is not entirely impossible.
-She has a talent for the force, quite obviously.
-She got a good look at Kylo's brains when he tried to read her mind, and that's basically the same technique.
-Stormtroopers are weak af mentally. They've been conditioned to not have much of a will of their own.
-It takes her a few tries.

All in all I think it's more down to the film being so chock-full of stuff and limited in time that they sped up a lot of what would normally have gotten more exposition (same with most of the new relationships between characters).
>>
>>63971664
so she's goku then. because Goku learns every fucking move just by watching someone do it.
>>
File: 1406399278636.jpg (12 KB, 270x200) Image search: [Google]
1406399278636.jpg
12 KB, 270x200
>>63968996
Furiosa wasn't a Mary Sue and even if Rey is, she's adorable so I don't really care.
>>
File: 2963275-taskmaster.jpg (77 KB, 515x695) Image search: [Google]
2963275-taskmaster.jpg
77 KB, 515x695
>>63971711
I think that's actually the Taskmaster
>>
>>63971664
That's like me playing Gary Kasparov at chess and then magically learning everything he does.
>>
>>63968996
>good pilot
You shifting me? Rey crashed the Falcon into every available surface on the planet. If Star Wars used laws of physics she would've blown up twenty times over. Typical woman driver.
>>
>>63971711
go watch Dragon ball again I don't mean Z
>>
>>63971711
>>63971807

I don't disagree that its OP as fuck, I was merely pointing out that she did see someone else do it, and didn't just randomly do it.
>>
>>63968996

And? What's wrong with female protagonists? It's almost 2016 and you're still sitting in your basement blogging your tears? Just sad.
>>
>>63971159
She runs away for all of 2 minutes. Maybe less. As soon as shit starts blowing up back at the not the mos Eisley canteea she turns right back around. That is like step 3 or four in the hero's journey. "Refusing the call"
>>
>>63971362
>Most are triggered about the sniper scene

Really but that was funny and showed them boding/trusting each other. I mean it was her rifle she probably used it every goddamn day.
>>
>>63971605
>>63971664
this, and the mythology of the Jedi is well established, so she could have heard legends of the mind trick being easy to do on stormtroopers.
>>
>>63971631
>>63971542

>>dat nonverbal storytelling

A+ Miller
>>
>>63971858
says the virgin
>>
>>63972095
That's something Fury Road did so well. Like going back to that scene, no one said "we are almost out of Sniper Rounds, but if we shoot out their search light it would make it harder for them to spot us." Instead Max just picks up the rifle and starts firing because of fucking course Max knows do to that and everyone else immediately catches on
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (45 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
45 KB, 1280x720
>>63971542
1/10 for not knowing how a scoped rifle works. Or a rifle in general.

So when you mount an optic on a rifle you have to zero that optic to the way you shoot, your cheek position, sight picture, point of aim. When you're shooting long distance this is very important.

If I were to hand you my DMR rifle that I can make some sized groups with at 500 meters. Unless you get lucky and we have the same exact shooting style, you're going to have to walk that shit in.

That seems they have 3 rounds, max misses the first two then hands the rifle to Furiosa. It makes sense that a. One armed woman might shoot differently than he does. And the SKS in particular is a very testy rifle when it comes to optics. You need to have a very good mount for it to return to zero after a lot of shooting.
>>
>>63972258
Wasn't that her rifle?
>>
>>63972258
Fuck you auto correct, Dime sized..

Yeah that is n exaggeration but they are still within the space of say, a searchlight. Or somebody's head.
>>
>there are still people who think Furiosa is a Mary Sue
>implying she didn't completely fail at pretty much everything she attempted to do throughout the movie, from keeping her deal with the bikers to finding the Green Place to helping the wives all escape with their lives
>implying Max wouldn't have beaten the shit out of her for being a dumb fuck if it wasn't for the fact they needed to work together for any of the group, Max himself included, to survive
In another setting she'd have gotten full comeuppance, but it's the Wasteland, everybody's a shitty person, that's kind of the crux of the franchise, he even gets lied to and left for dead by the people he agreed to help out of the goodness of his heart in Road Warrior

>>63972095
This.
>>
>>63968996
The difference being that, as a Lieutenant in Joe's fleet, Furiosa had a good reason to be tough and competent.

Rey had no reason to be as competent as she was besides "LOL THE FORCE BRO XD"
>>
>>63972323
Yes it was her rifle that is why it has that big modification on the front stock so her prosthetic arm can hold it better.
>>
>>63972258
To be fair, it's her own rifle, and she probably had it set to her own specifics, not Max's. Probably the reason he couldn't shoot straight with it.
>>
>>63971858

Found the tumblrite
>>
Is rey rey a SPINGO BLINK?
>>
Rey was losing until she tapped into the dark side of the force.
>>
The case of the disappearing scope.

The same rifle i s used in 3 scenes and in 2 it has a scope, and in the canyon scene it doesn't. So she either mounts it off screen making it very, very difficult to be zeroed in or it is a editing mistake.
>>
>>63972586

Probably the latter. Things slip through the cracks.
>>
>>63972375
And not only that, but Furiosa has history. She's spent the majority of her life since since being discarded from Joe's harem (this isn't even an argument any more, the robes making up her outfit are exactly the same as the five wives', just older and more worn) rising through the ranks, training, fighting, driving, etc. She has history. As opposed to Rey magically learning how to use the Force within minutes like some kind of idiot savant.

Another good example of this kind of character done right is Olivia Dunham in Fringe. The worst part is, even when good writers and directors these days try and make a genuinely good female character, no Mary Sue-ing, no meme speak, just a good piece of characterisation that provides a prominent and well-written role for a female and does improve their representation, the fucking blogs and news media can't leave the movie or series to speak for itself. Half the time it's not the creators at fault, it's the fucking Buzzfeed articles all over Facebook and shit laboring a sometimes fair point with as much finesse as the Wachowskis handling new-age philosophy.
>>
File: 1444856341623.jpg (16 KB, 417x515) Image search: [Google]
1444856341623.jpg
16 KB, 417x515
>>63972447
I was literally explaining that.
>>
>>63972665
Star Wars would have been a good opportunity to shine a light on that practice if it had a genuinely good female lead. Oh well. Hopefully Rey's type of character "arc" doesn't become the norm in female-fronted genre movies.
>>
File: Thumbs up.jpg (22 KB, 398x500) Image search: [Google]
Thumbs up.jpg
22 KB, 398x500
>>63971758
agreed my nigga
>>
>>63972375
>"LOL THE FORCE BRO XD"

WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED? IT'S FUCKING
STAR WARS
T
A
R

W
A
R
S
>>
its my theory that in the next movie it will be revealed that she was born from the force like anakin and really isnt luke's daughter so... yea i can see her being Overpowered just cuz shes like the jesus christ of the force.. prbly why luke is at that temple trying to find out that prophecy.. he prbly knew she was the chosen one.. took her to some deserted plant and left her there cuz he was to afraid of what might happen if she became trained and seduced by the dark side.. so he kinda feels guilty about that but hes playing it safe know that chick is dangerous.. i bet its not even his daughter, watch
>>
>>63968996
>mechanics that can fix anything

She has been taking apart ships for the last 20 years or so. And even then she fucks up with the fuses a couple of times.

That's a clear case of, "it's not a plot hole or a mary sue...you're just an idiot."
>>
>>63972168
Hur hur hur! You showed him anon hur hur hur!
>>
>>63968996
>Furiosa
>Mary Sue

pick one pleb.
>>
>>63973022

Half the thread is pointing that out. Furiousa is a female character done right. Rey is one done wrong.
>>
>>63968996
What Hollywood meant by this is that we've been seeing male characters like this for the last few hundred years so it makes it a little more interesting to let women do shit once in a while.
Women pilots, mechanics, drivers, and fighters actually exist in the world. Holy shit!
>>
Why are men so threatened by this?

It's genuinely weird as shit that this is even a conversation.
>>
File: fagdog.jpg (98 KB, 423x590) Image search: [Google]
fagdog.jpg
98 KB, 423x590
>>63972918
>>
>>63973121

Ask about it on /r9k/. There's your answer.
>>
>>63971854
Don't remember this, who did Ren trick?
>>
>>63973170
James Bond
>>
>>63973123
What kind of heartless asshole would do this?!?!
>>
>>63973170

James Bond.

I'm not kidding.
>>
>>63972375
How you see Rey's force ability comes down to opinion. Luke pulls the light saber out of the snow in "Empire" without any training just like Rey. the mind trick I chalk up to her being so in tuned with the force. I do nott get why people are so upset that she knows a bunch of technical stuff. shes lived on a desert planet most of her life scavenging from star destroyers. its not so far fetched that she knows how to do this. If she was left on Endor, I would expect her to know how to hunt and make shelter. She could do with some better character development, but i think that will be sorted out in the next movies. you can still complain about her character for now.
>>
>>63973190
A true deviant.
>>
>>63968996
Shit needs to stop.

I can't watch films like this because they're so fucking stupid.

Chicks are about as "bad ass" as 12 year old boys.
>>
>>63973074

Except they really don't, there is very few of them and the ones that exist are hardly competent in that they never really surpass males in that field.

And by very few I mean very fucking rare so much as it's negligible
>>
when will a trans star in a mainstream movie?
>>
>>63973287

And you were 10 once, and lived in mortal fear of those 12 year old boys.
>>
>>63973203
My issue with Rey was that all her skills were introduced at the exact moment they became relevant, made her feel like a Swiss army knife. Lot of laziness all over the script but I feel like most of it was centred around Rey
>>
>>63973378

Not for a fair few years.
>>
>>63973192
>>63973184
Wasn't it Rey who trickes James Bond? I want to know who did Kyle Ren mind trick and Rey saw it?
>>
>>63973166
I think I got my answer:
>>63973287
>>
>>63973384
It may feel stupid but with this being her first exposure (at least on-screen) to the force it makes sense within the movie's reality.
>>
>>63973473
Oh, that's the way you meant it.

Kylo tried to mind trick Rey, but she got into his mind instead.
>>
>>63973121
>Why are men so threatened by this?
>It's genuinely weird as shit that this is even a conversation.

Why are you projecting your fear on us?

It's not about being "threatened", it's about suspension of disbelief, and when you have chicks in "bad ass" roles, it's just NOT realistic, and border line unwatchable.

What don't you understand about that?
>>
>>63973814
Not that anon but are you saying any cool female character is unrealistic but cool male characters are fine?
>>
>>63973681
Oh, that's dumb.

I was talking to my friends about this yesterday, I feel that Rey should have been visibly confused when she started seeing into Kylo Ren's mind, and to have seen somebody else (Maz or Ren) do the actual, explicit, "not the Droid you're looking for" mind trick.

I wish tumblrs would get that people don't dislike Rey because her power level is too high, it's that whenever the script is in a corner she turns out to be perfect at another thing and the plot moves forward that way. It's shorty writing when Sword Art does it and it's shifty writing when Star Wars does it.

Sorry for blog
>>
>>63971614
>logic on 4chan

stop it anon, what are you doing?
>>
>>63973814
>badass females
>unrealistic in spite of a select few historical examples
>but a superweapon that can blow up a planet isn't, nor is a galaxy filled with alien species that are basically all human-shaped, nor is a planet-wide megalopolis, nor is a FUCKING PLASMA SWORD as if plasma can hold that shape for extended periods of time

Oddly selective aren't we?
>>
The difference is in the stuntwork.

Daisy Ridley was slow as fuck and everyone had to compensate for it. Another case of Hollywood getting the cute girl and not the athletic girl.
>>
>>63968996
>What did Hollywood mean by these?

Elect Hillary
>>
>>63973814
You just said women can never be badasses in movies (almost all of which are fiction since this is /tv/) when there are real life female badasses (spies, assassins, pilots, martial artists, warriors, queens, commanders, priestess/saints, etc.).

You're the guy who would be okay with dragons, autonomous transforming alien robots, super-powered mutants, and giant planet destroying moons in fictional movies but a non-helpless woman is crossing the line and I'm the one projecting?

Alright.
>>
>>63974186

I don't understand this post, what's the implication?
>>
>>63973874

Portraying females unrealistically against their male counterparts isn't "cool", anon, it's unrealistic and ruins suspension of disbelief.

It's like watching those stupid movies where 10 year old "karate" kids use their karate to beat up fully grown adults. It's just dumb.
>>
>>63974154
>Oddly selective aren't we?

Nope.

That's shitty writing too, anon.
>>
>>63974375

A woman can shoot a man just as easily as a man shoots a woman. Physical combat sure, a woman should be outclassed, but that doesn't mean they can't shoot, drive or anything else.
>>
>>63972191
They did state there was only a certain amount of shots left.
>>
>>63972258
Sure, if you want to dig that far into it. But there is also nothing wrong with just saying that she might have been the better shot.

Max has never demonstrated that he has pinpoint accuracy with a rifle before, that was never something he had to do. He's an excellent driver and primarily uses a sawed off.
>>
>>63974186
I don't' think they chose her cause she was "cute".

None of the FA casts are real lookers, bro.

They probably chose her because she's a good actress and fit the role.
>>
>>63974528

He was in the Police, and they aren't usually trained for Marksmanship with a rifle, at least not in Australia.
>>
>>63974234
>when there are real life female badasses

All of which could be wrecked by any decent male high school wrestler....let alone by a fully grown man.

I served in the military and didn't see a single "bad ass" chick, let alone one that couldn't be MAN handled by the most newbie private in the squad.

Chicks are a joke, physically, compared to men, and it ruins suspension of disbelief when they're made to be what they're not against men.
>>
>>63974402
Ah, so real life has shitty writing. Got it.

Pick up a history book for once in your life you plebian. Anne Bonney, Ching Shih, Jeanne d'Arc, Tachibana Ginchiyo, Narita Kaihime, Tamar of Georgia. All amazing warriors and all good to amazing leaders. The list goes on and on.
>>
>>63972039
>Really but that was funny and showed them boding/trusting each other.
Indeed. And the chase with mountain bikers did that very well too.
>>
>>63974589
Right, which is why an 18-year old girl was able to lop off like five heads of her rivals and take them as her trophies while her father's castle was under siege.
>>
>>63974428
>A woman can shoot a man just as easily as a man shoots a woman.

They can, but they don't shoot as well due to the fact they generally have smaller hands, less strength, and less mass to manage recoil.

Of all the female USPSA shooters, there's only been ONE that's managed to earn a Grandmaster card, while there's been hundreds of men. It's biology.
>>
>>63974615
>what is a figurehead

Chicks can't even defeat men on a dodgeball court, let alone a field of battle.
>>
>>63974589
>I served in the military

Yeah, I did too.

And I met a couple. One was an ex-SERE instructor who would've fucked most of us up, another was a contractor/Army Reserve Captain who won several crossfit awards, two of them were medics, etc.

Those are just ones I remember met that could give some of the guys I met a run for their money.

btw, I don't consider any of them badasses or any of the dudes I met as badasses. They were just physically fit and mentally strong people doing a job. Badasses generally only exist in movies with the rare few scattered through history.

And this is coming from someone who worked AFSOC.
>>
File: well can you faggot.jpg (15 KB, 236x388) Image search: [Google]
well can you faggot.jpg
15 KB, 236x388
>>63974710
>hurr durr biology
>>
>>63974375
A woman using a gun better than a man (Fury Road) is unrealistic? Like women can never be better than men at something?
>>
>>63974710
>biology
Or upbringing. Besides the hand thing, the other two have not much to do with biology to be completely honest. The only way to do a proper study on male vs. females is to bring them up in EXACTLY THE SAME WAY, which is a study that's never been done before because it'd require the consent of orphaned infants which is, frankly, impossible. All other studies observe boys and girls who have already started to be conditioned into their societal roles.

Notice that a lot of the historically noted women who were tough fighters lived in societies where women were expected to be trained to be as powerful as men, or were orphans or peasants who really didn't have much gender conditioning. For instance the samurai often trained their daughters to be able to defend the home in case of invasion- while quite a few men in Japan thought of women as weaker due to Confucian ideals, others only kept women at home to prevent morale loss or because women were considered valuable because they were, well, baby machines. Hell, there's a rumor that's picked up a lot of traction in Japan that one of the most impressive warlords of the samurai era, Uesugi Kenshin, was a woman. This was a person considered the incarnation God of War.

Should the rumor be true, that means a woman was strong enough to be considered a badass, and if not, at least a very petite, woman-sized pretty man.
>>
File: tumblr_np0vq0xPY01ry2iwgo1_500.jpg (72 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_np0vq0xPY01ry2iwgo1_500.jpg
72 KB, 500x500
>>
>>63974402
>In 269 Zenobia, her army, and the Palmyrene General Zabdas violently conquered Egypt with help from their Egyptian ally, Timagenes, and his army. The Roman prefect of Egypt, Tenagino Probus and his forces tried to expel them from Egypt, but Zenobia's forces captured and beheaded Probus. She then proclaimed herself Queen of Egypt. After these initial forays, Zenobia became known as a "Warrior Queen". In leading her army, she displayed significant prowess: she was an able horse-rider and would walk three or four miles with her foot soldiers.

>Zenobia, with her large army, made expeditions and conquered Anatolia as far as Ancyra (Ankara) and Chalcedon, followed by Syria, Palestina and Lebanon. In her short-lived empire, Zenobia took the vital trade routes in these areas from the Romans. The Roman Emperor Aurelian (reigned 270-275), who was at that time campaigning with his forces in the Gallic Empire, probably did recognise the authority of Zenobia and Vaballathus; however, this relationship began to break down when Aurelian began a military campaign to reunite the Roman Empire in 272–273. Aurelian and his forces left the Gallic Empire and arrived in Syria. The forces of Aurelian and Zenobia met and fought near Antioch. After a crushing defeat, the remaining Palmyrenes briefly fled into Antioch and then into Emesa.

Get over your mommy issues, m8.
>>
>>63974446
Yes they did, chocolate assfuck wifu says they only have 3 rounds left for the rifle.
>>
>>63974341
I like martial arts. A whole lot.
I only saw this movie cause the dudes from The Raid were in it.
Western action movies tend to get models/dancers and teach them basic techniques but they never learn how to throw a strike with intent, so you just get a lady doing a movement that looks like a punch but it doesn't look like it could do damage to anybody.

Just compare Daisy to Gina Carano in Haywire or Rousey in anything. They're not great actresses, sure, but they sell the intent better.

It's basically the same problem people have with Adrien Brody in Predators, although I thought he was fine.
>>
>>63974983
>Symphony No. 1 in E minor (1932)
>>
>>63975105

Ah, OK. Daisy didn't do her own stunts so I was going to challenge you on that but I'm sure she did a lot of the sword fighting scenes.

I'll agree that it seemed less natural than some of the other characters.
>>
>>63975105
Jackie Chan made a career out of this but I bet you never once complained.
>>
Furiosa wasn't Mary Sue, first she was already experienced warlord at that point, not some random chick who is suddenly instant expert on anything and second of all, it's pretty clear that she wouldn't survive without Max, he killed much more baddies than she did for one thing
>>
ITT: bunch of neckbeard autists who never seen an engine in their lives trying to tie mechanic skills with biology. Aint that charming.
>>
>>63968996
I don't know how you can think that Furiosa is a Mary Sue.

She would've died in the end if Max didn't perform a blood transfusion on her.

Furiosa gets saved by a man.
>>
>>63975303
>ITT: bunch of neckbeard autists who never seen an engine in their lives trying to tie mechanic skills with biology. Aint that charming.
T. male feminist shill
>>
>>63975237
What?
Jackie Chan has been practicing martial arts since he was around 12 I'm pretty sure.
I'm saying there's a difference between someone who trains for years (or trains for competition) and someone who does a training camp for 3 months.

Also all you have to do is look at Jackie Chan's nose to tell he's not a fraud. I really don't know what you're trying to get out.
>>
>>63975237
Jackie Chan's been training in martial arts since he was like 12.

I'm saying there's a difference between someone who trains for years or trains for competition and someone who learns to fight for the movies in 3 months.

I really don't know what you're trying to get at. All you have to do is look at Jackie Chan's broken ass nose to tell he's legit.
>>
>>63975575
>>63975639
I heard you the first time!

My bad, for some reason I thought he only did acrobatic and circus work until way later in life.
>>
>>63975730
Just because he owns 4chan now doesn't mean he couldn't do other things before that.
>>
>>63968996
>>
File: 1414866951720.jpg (231 KB, 595x833) Image search: [Google]
1414866951720.jpg
231 KB, 595x833
>>63975274
>Furiosa wasn't Mary Sue, first she was already experienced warlord at that point, not some random chick who is suddenly instant expert on anything and second of all, it's pretty clear that she wouldn't survive without Max, he killed much more baddies than she did for one thing
T. male feminist
>>
EVERYONE KNOWS THAT WOMEN BELONG IN THE KITCHEN

HILLARY CLINTON THINKS SHE CAN LEAD THE GREATEST COUNTRY ON EARTH BECAUSE OF MAD FURIOUSA AND GURLPOWER WARS
>>
>>63968996
You a retard? Dehydrated and blood drained max took out furiosa while getting ganged up on by joes brides 6 women including furiosa couldn't take him out while he was barely alive lel
>>
>>63971232
>muh ugly ass Linda Hamilton
Funny you defeners can't come up with anything else.
>inb4 fucking Ripley
>>
>>63975730
yeah I double posted and now i feel like a faggot
it's all good bruh

the only point I'm trying to get across is when you have a character who's physically competent the believability of that competency is dependent upon the perceived capability of the performer

like don't get me wrong Daisy is cute af and charismatic, but some people are just going to have a harder time suspending their disbelief

at the end of the day it's a space fantasy with laser swords so I guess it doesn't really matter
>>
>>63971232

don't forget that sarah connor in the first movies was pretty pathetic just regular woman off the street

she became a badass doomsday prepper after those experiences
>>
>>63974977
>And this is coming from someone who worked AFSOC.

That's because you worked in AFSOC.

While I respect the PJ's and the CCT dudes that worked with us, they were soft by comparison to the bad ass team leaders, squad leaders or platoon sergeants, let alone some of the assaulters we had.

The Air Force spoils you guys.

Quit cherry picking and being a white knight. Every single one of those cherry picked females are a joke compared to the cherry picked males you could have found, and for every one cherry picked chick,you can find 100 or more males.
>>
>>63977630
You DO realize everyone works together in SOCOM, right?
>>
>>63975027

No.

It's BIOLOGY.

Don't blame me for nature making females physically inferior to males, as they were made to reproduce, not run, lift, or fight.
>>
>>63975076

Get over your lack of balls, eunuch.
>>
>>63977899
I have balls, they're just still in your whore of a mother's mouth.

jelly, oedipus?
>>
>>63977840

Sure we did, pal.

That's why we always had our PJ's and CCT guys humping rucks and doing missions with us during pre-deployment training...oh wait....we didn't.
>>
File: Another eunuch.jpg (36 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Another eunuch.jpg
36 KB, 720x480
>>63977988

Sure, white knight.

Sure.

I bet my mother would kick your ass.

You're exactly who these Mary Sue flicks are made for, aren't you sunshine? Well, you and the rest of the girls, that is...
>>
>>63978210
Alright.

4chan isn't the place to discuss why you're wrong over something like SW.
>>
>>63978332
>I bet my mother would kick your ass.

She added that to her list?

You think it's cheaper than the half and half?
>>
>>63969203
Then what do you think was the point in him getting shot by Chewie? Or showing him bleeding from the Chewie wound during the fight?
>>
>furiosa

Explain
>>
>>63968996
Why do you insecure faggots get triggered at some female character that does things other than talk about shoes?
>>
File: 2015.png (744 KB, 1158x658) Image search: [Google]
2015.png
744 KB, 1158x658
>>63968996

Pic related
>>
>>63968996
>seasoned veteran in her 40s grown up in a ruthless environemt and lost an arm
>mary sue

when you die of cancer it will be a good day
>>
>>63978704
Everytime I see her posted I can only focus on her huge rack.
>>
>>63978419
Yes, anon, her ass whoopings are probably less expensive than what you're currently charging for half and half's in the alley's you work.
>>
>>63978618
Why do you insecure anon's get triggered any time some female character gets mocked for their ridiculous portrayals on film?
>>
>>63978893
>Everytime I see her posted I can only focus on her huge rack.

>being a boob guy

don't you know that >>63978704 (pic related)
>>
>>63978705
do you even know what the term Mary Sue means
that makes her even more of a Mary Sue
>>
>>63979050
Question dodging faggot.
>>
>>63979215
Mark Millar lost an arm?
>>
File: Scourge of humanity.jpg (56 KB, 407x405) Image search: [Google]
Scourge of humanity.jpg
56 KB, 407x405
>>63979216
White knight eunuch.
>>
>>63979375
>i'm an oppressed white male, won't someone stand up for my rights?
>>
File: Thought so.jpg (6 KB, 216x153) Image search: [Google]
Thought so.jpg
6 KB, 216x153
>>63979497
>>
File: Chicks are a joke.jpg (164 KB, 596x799) Image search: [Google]
Chicks are a joke.jpg
164 KB, 596x799
>ITT: people mad about biology
>>
File: So true.jpg (46 KB, 500x412) Image search: [Google]
So true.jpg
46 KB, 500x412
>>63978356
>>
>>63980342
the women are all on hormones too
they have full beards
>>
>>63971439
>>an sks
>>making that shot

this

>that scope
>on an sks

why bother
>>
>>63980207
>looks how mad i am that someone has called me out on being an insecure faggot
>>
>>63980589

And STILL can't even match a manlet half their size....
>>
>>63980342
Amazing stuff, edgelord! Men are generally stronger than women, Hold the fucking front page!
>>
File: Sorry about your balls.jpg (22 KB, 312x315) Image search: [Google]
Sorry about your balls.jpg
22 KB, 312x315
>>63980753
>>
>>63980835
And yet people wonder why we have a problem with "Mary Sue" the action star...
>>
>>63980883
Yes, we get it. You're a skinny virgin from reddit and all you have are memes and a fedora.
>>
>>63972586

that's clearly a different sks, while the one with the scope was chambered for 30-30. Because there's no fucking way you could run out of 7.62x39 that fast, apocalypse or not.
>>
File: Dont be intolerant.png (455 KB, 595x622) Image search: [Google]
Dont be intolerant.png
455 KB, 595x622
>>63980986
>>
>>63980976
No real life man can do what male action heroes does either.
A truly realistic 'action movie' would be boring as shit - because there would hardly be any action since most of it is physically impossible.
>>
>>63980976
I think it's made clear Rey is force sensitive. Now, whilst I agree the film didn't do much to establish any sort back story and her confrontation with Kylo seemed absurd, but not any more so that Finn holding his own despite not being force sensitive, and not having any experience with a sabre.

What exactly upsets you here? Is it the general absurdity of the action itself, or that a woman can actually wield a sword?
>>
File: george tipaway.gif (2 MB, 176x180) Image search: [Google]
george tipaway.gif
2 MB, 176x180
>>63981054
>>
>>63981119
>What exactly upsets you here?

Shitty writing that panders to a political agenda.
>>
Furiosa is not a Mary Sue, Rey is
>>
>>63981253
Yes, because we have never in the history of cinema had these sorts of strong female antagonists have we?
>>
>>63981292
>Mary Sue
What is actually wrong with a Mary Sue character, or is this just /tv/'s new favourite meme now Baneposting has died a death?
>>
>>63981383
Google Mary Sue if you don't know what it is
Mary Sues are badly written characters
>>
>>63980976
And yet you wonder why people have a problem with someone who can accept a deathstar, mind control, and using laser swords but have an issue with a self-reliant female character...

Which of those honestly sound more fantastical to you? When you answer that question truthfully you can get to the root of your issues.
>>
>>63981432
I know what a Mary Sue character is, I'm asking what exactly is wrong with them, and all you've come back with is "hurr durr dey r badly written" without giving any specifics.
>>
File: 137554509647.jpg (25 KB, 231x180) Image search: [Google]
137554509647.jpg
25 KB, 231x180
>>63968996
they meant this:
>>
>>63981432
>>63981506
No they're unrealistic, idealized characters
>>
>>63981520
Is that General Grievous?
>>
>>63981506
If you know what a Mary Sue is you know why they're badly written. They are characters that are basically invulnerable and with no faults. They aren't realistic and with no nuances. Badly written
>>
>>63981575
Again; specifics. Come on is this really difficult for you?

You're taking umbrage with a Mary Sue character in a fucking sc-fi space fantasy that has men shooting electric bolts from their finger tips.
>>
>>63981470

This goes beyond the shitty writing in TFA, anon, this is a reoccurring theme in Hollywood where they are intentionally sacrificing any semblance of reality solely to appease feminists, which makes a lot of films unwatchable due to the shitty writing of their characters.
>>
>>63981661
I was literally defining what a "Mary Sue" is
they thought it was just a poorly written character
>>
File: tmp_1450745570061879855290.png (51 KB, 552x336) Image search: [Google]
tmp_1450745570061879855290.png
51 KB, 552x336
>>63971677
The stormtrooper she uses the jedi mindtrick on is....Daniel Craig

True story.
>>
>>63981623
So you can suspend you disbelief when it comes to magical powers and 7 foot furry aliens, but when it comes to a female character who is playing a role other than a stereotypical ditzy love interest to the lead you're getting arserekt because it's unrealistic?
>>
>>63968996
Furiosa lost battles and an arm on the comics, also when she got desperate she begged Max for help.
>>
>>63981706
The definition of a "Mary Sue" is not "poorly written". I suggest you go and actually educated yourself on this before acting like a clever twat.
>>
>>63981470
Have you ever been with a woman?

A death star is more believable to me than a LIKABLE* self reliant female character

The key here is likable, because obviously there's strong women in the real world, but they are insanely unlikable and manly

Strength and self reliance are masculine qualities so it instantly makes them unlikable as female characters.

That's my biggest issue with them. Make self reliant females if you want, but show them as overweight, lonely and depressed like they would be in the real world
>>
>>63981808
It's easier to believe that Jedi exists than it is that chicks in that universe are even remotely "equal" to men, yes.
>>
File: 4617466-3042271263-Alice.jpg (291 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
4617466-3042271263-Alice.jpg
291 KB, 1024x768
Is she a Mary sue?
>>
>>63981702
This is you spending too much time on here and "other boards". This isn't actually a thing and there are countless movies, shows, books, video games, etc. that would prove your belief wrong.

The fact you ignore all the other media that doesn't support your argument says more about you than it does about these secret agendas you feel exist. Someone else getting a little representation or a voice doesn't mean you're suddenly voiceless.

Back to the Mary Sue point...Rey is as much of a Mary Sue as Hercules is. The "child with hidden power" is an old trope and it doesn't necessarily mean they're some invincible, idealized mary sue.

FFS, she got captured by Ren in the first place. But this is another event that doesn't fit into the reality a lot of people are trying to insist exists so it's just ignored.
>>
>>63981846
You officially win the /tv/'s nigger of the week
Can you actually not read
I was correcting two other anon's who thought they knew what a mary sue was
>>
>>63981847
I hate women cos they don't find me attractive: the post
>>
>>63981847
There are so many issues here, I don't even...

Plus I have to go pick up carryout.
>>
>>63981921
You're just making it seem more and more like you've never been with women
>>
>>63981847
>Strength and self reliance are masculine qualities so it instantly makes them unlikable as female characters.

All these white knights and feminists mock masculine behavior, UNLESS it's done by a chick, that is, and then it's celebrated.

Comedy.
>>
>>63981873
no, she's just fucking awful in every conceivable way, and got the roll from litterally blowing the director.
>>
>>63981847
I other words; you want these types of female characters to be portrayed as physically unattractive to you because of your own insecurities and belief that it is impossible for a self-reliant female be also very attractive? Are you so weak that you feel your masculinity isn't threatened by fictional characters in a fucking Star Wars film?
>>
>>63981808
One thing has nothing to do with the other. Just because the movie is set in space and there is magic involved doesn't mean characters are supposed to be walking gods. Just take a look at all the other characters in SW. Rey is the only one who is clearly flawless.

>>63981872
Fuck off, kid, this has nothing to do with feminism. Mary Sue = trash writing.
>>
>>63981964

They haven't.

None of these white knights have ever lived with a chick, or worked with them doing anything that actually involved physical effort and team work.
>>
>>63981967

Straw man memepost

cite some examples, mr. angry permavirgin
>>
>>63968996

Haven't seen Star Wars but in regards to Furiosa...

Justified entirely by the setting, where basically EVERYONE is this
>Need-no-man attitude
More "rebelling against a tyrant" than "rebelling against DA MAN"
>Better-than-any-man abilities such as piloting/driving
About equal with Max
>Can best and overpower experienced, grown men in combat
Gets her ass handed to her numerous tims
>Good at anything they put their mind to with little to no practice
Doesn't apply
>>
>>63981872
>hurr durr le feminism is triggering me
>>
>>63982025
In other words, you want these masculine characters portrayed by females because you are afraid of masculine behaviors, and masculinity in general.

Got it.
>>
>>63971265
not only does she only Jedi trick one guard but it takes several attempts before it works
>>
>>63982025
Being self reliant = being ALONE
attractive women aren't alone, do you even think about the words you're using

Every woman's dream isn't to be self reliant, it's to be reliant on a man (if you deny this you really are a virgin). So yes, self reliant women are usually ugly and depressed
>>
>>63982068

I 100% cast iron guarantee you have never, and will never, touch a consenting female's boob
>>
>>63968996
it's hilariously stupid that feminists can't stop bitching about toxic masculinity, but then praise female characters for acting traditionally masculine

fucking wonderful
>>
>>63982031
It has absolutely everything to do with feminism and P.C. politics.

They're trying to lure more women/gays/blacks into theaters to make more money by tossing them into genre's traditionally enjoyed by men, in general, and white men in particular.

They could have cast a retard in a wheelchair in TFA, and all you neckbeards would have lined up to see it regardless.
>>
>>63981964
It's very fucking clear here who hasn't been with a woman. You're a teenage virgin angry at the world because you haven't got all your waifus grovelling at your feet, and rather than look at what makes you unappealing and unattractive to the opposite sex, you'll blame Hollywood, and agendas, and feminism, and reddit, and the Jews for your shortcomings.
>>
>>63982156
btw I don't think Furiosa was a Mary Sue because she was an ugly/depressed woman. She was genetically pretty, but she was dressed up to look ugly
she had Mary Sue abilities but I think she was fundamentally the right way to portray a "strong independent" woman
>>
>>63973203
ESB was 3 years after New Hope so he had 3 years of self study to figure that out. Not 15 minutes like Rey. And he still sucked at it compared to Rey, who outForced a trained Force user. Luke was competing with the snow.
>>
>>63982118
>hurr durr, the patriarchy is attacking me
>>
>>63982031
What was Yoda's flaw? Windu? Obi Wan? Chewy? Luke?
>>
>>63968996
He meant "Hillary 2016 good goy, don't forget to vote!"
>>
>>63982199

What's worse is the modern castrati class that supports their bullshit.

Just look at em' all in this very post.
>>
>>63982243
I really do pity you anon, I'm not saying any of this to trigger you, I'm trying to help people like you learn to deal with women
>>
>>63981895
you'd have to be naive to not see the trend. every popular "nerd" movie, like capeshit, gets huge amounts of backlash anytime a woman is portrayed as not perfect. look at black widow - her torture scene triggered so many idiots and caused huge amounts of backlash.

to avoid this, writers have to make them homogeneous and "le stronk female character" to shut people up. say goodbye to nuanced writing.

the same bullshit is happening in video games, except 100x worse.
>>
>>63969575
The Feminazi hate is real i tell ya.
>>
>>63982124
In other words, female characters that aren't portrayed as inferior to men to ensure neckbeards on 4chan don't get triggered, doesn't bother me. My masculinity isn't threatened by women, or edgy fedoravirgins on a Sumatran flower arranging getting upset cos of some woman swinging a laser sword in a film.
>>
File: tmp_1450284870985-786771163.jpg (192 KB, 1139x538) Image search: [Google]
tmp_1450284870985-786771163.jpg
192 KB, 1139x538
>>63982321
kek, you just fucked yourself.

There is a difference between post and thread.
>>
>>63981895
Hercules was a super idealized man
A super idealized woman is not super strong and violent

That's the ultimate issue here that you're not understanding
>>
>>63982156
Spoken like a true hermit faggot who has never been outside or interacted with people beyond a computer.
>>
>>63968996
Rey has shoulder length hair, its just tied up
>>
File: 1434616862509.jpg (53 KB, 338x335) Image search: [Google]
1434616862509.jpg
53 KB, 338x335
>short dyke haircut
>rey has long hair tied in a bun
???
>>
>>63982202
So as a white male, you forbid anyone outside of that demographic to be representative, or even enjoy, the media you like?
>>
>>63981895
oh wow you specifically brought up that scene

y'know the one where those three idiots sneak onto a planet sized super weapon to rescue her, only to find that she rescued herself.

they literally went out of their way to not ever portray her as a damsel in distress.
>>
>>63982356
>deal with women
By holding derogatory, outdated, insular and oppressive and views on them?

Kek. You couldn't make it any more obvious you're a lonely fucking virgin if you tried.
>>
File: How dare you insult mlady.png (109 KB, 181x262) Image search: [Google]
How dare you insult mlady.png
109 KB, 181x262
>>63982598
>By holding derogatory, outdated, insular and oppressive and views on them?
>>
>>63982439
>A super idealized woman is not super strong and violent
Like Keres or the Gorgons?
>>
>>63982598
hello /co/mblr, enjoying your stay?
>>
>>63982508

No, as a white male, I expect non-white males to be just as competent in writing their own characters and stories without depending on us to do it for them.
>>
>>63982681
>women: know your place

Lel.
>>
>>63974990
irl women often prove to be better snipers than men because they are significantly more humble and trainable than men who think they are hot shit and resist training because they think they know better.
>>
>>63982709
>he's not a virgin edgelord like me
>he must be from somewhere else

Nice try.
>>
File: Basketball fail.gif (979 KB, 470x264) Image search: [Google]
Basketball fail.gif
979 KB, 470x264
>>
File: 149408646984.gif (3 MB, 286x258) Image search: [Google]
149408646984.gif
3 MB, 286x258
>>63982598
Hello Tumblr
>>
File: My favorite.jpg (38 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
My favorite.jpg
38 KB, 1280x720
>>63968996
Charlize Theron chose to shave her head
Furiosa isnt OP
Furiosa isnt the main character, even if she was OP, it wouldnt matter.
>>
>>63982759
Uh....no.

The right answer is that people that don't know shit about something, and won't pretend they do, are easier to train.

Chicks suck at shooting irl, and I know this because I've trained chicks to shoot irl.
>>
>>63982774
Is that Sonic on the wall? Is this autism school?
>>
>>63982836
It's from the 4chan eunuch academy.

All the 4chan white knights are sitting on the side lines cheering on the stronk womyn.
>>
>>63982737
Right, so you want a clear division in the industry based on gender/racial grounds where white males, the prominent group within said industry, exclusively write TV and film for their own ilk and the others do likewise?

And you want this because you're an insecure faggot who feels incredibly threatened by women and non-whites. Bless.
>>
>>63982759
I too have heard that anecdote written in an article on HuffPo
>>
>>63982783
That completely original and unique joke has already been done. See>>63982709
>>
>>63982894
No, I want non-white males to write and develop something that's actually worth watching without expecting white males to do it for them.
>>
>>63969108
This.

Just moments ago he was napping, breathing in sand.
>>
>>63982894
You sound desperate desu senpai.
>>
>>63982774
>look I posted a silly picture

At this point am I supposed to post all the male athletes fucking up or those pussies taking dives in soccer and basketball?

Or maybe you can use your words?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.