[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the drunken flailing lightsaber duels of the OT seen as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9
File: image.gif (489 KB, 317x214) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
489 KB, 317x214
Why is the drunken flailing lightsaber duels of the OT seen as superior to thr acrobatic dances of the Pringles?

Also, drunken flailing is not realistic swordfighting, realistic swordfighting is too boring for movies.
>>
File: 1299884919114.png (88 KB, 298x306) Image search: [Google]
1299884919114.png
88 KB, 298x306
>>63960336
Because, you pleb, the "drunken flailing" of the OT were impassioned pieces of cinematography dealing with two characters that had intense emotional tension that you, the viewer, were invested in emotionally.

The acrobatic dances were boring in their contrivance and took place between characters that you just wanted to see die, all of them.

For reals, kill yourself. Maybe they'll stop making movies for your brain-dead demographic.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Admit it, you just wanted someone to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw
>>
>>63960727
the fucking irony of this post

cannot stop laughing
>>
File: 33.jpg (241 KB, 968x538) Image search: [Google]
33.jpg
241 KB, 968x538
Because the OT fights were emotional duels which had weapons thrown in. Prequel fights are Paul Greengrass shakycam skits with all the same empathetic tension of an MTV music video.
>>
>realistic swordfighting is too boring for movies.
is it anything like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr6VrmOQY1M

how i imagine it anyway
>>
File: 1299954699159.jpg (86 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1299954699159.jpg
86 KB, 350x350
>>63961383
Why don't you explain the irony to my dumb ass? Are you sure you know what irony means?
>>
>>63961629
you're living in bizarro world and have no self-awareness whatsoever. For your sake I hope you're not sincere and just borrow your opinions from facebook since you don't seem to have any brain activity of your own

don't worry, you can just call me a meta-contrarian if it makes you feel better about your shit taste, but I'm way past that
>>
File: 1299775398806.jpg (31 KB, 608x448) Image search: [Google]
1299775398806.jpg
31 KB, 608x448
>>63961971
I fail to see that as a cogent argument.

You obviously don't know what irony is, and you probably suck Jar-Jar's primitive cloaca whilst hoping that one day, if you suck well enough, he might put you in touch with Hayden Christiansen, so that you may blow him, too.

Seriously, swallow a razor.
>>
>>63962099
>You obviously don't know what irony is
hahhahah, the fucking irony
>>
>>63960336

OT:
>simplistic fight scenes
>the way you would expect normal schlubs to treat laser 'swords' that can cut through literally anything with even a slight touch
>mostly defined by the technical limitations of the time
>despite this, the fights managed to convey tension and extreme danger, while the slow pacing allowed the fights to play out as dramatic dialogues rather than traditional action sequence. More similar to theatrical stage combat than action fight sequences. This can be considered making the best of limited resources

Prequels:
>over-choreographed 'dancy' fight scenes
>meant to convey that Jedi were superhumans whose clairvoyance preempted all but the most off-the-wall attacks, the practical upshot of which is that lightsaber fights look like dances.
>mostly defined by the advances that overcame the technical limitations of the OT
>despite this, the majority of the fights carry little to no tension. Where in the OT, the pacing of the fight was defined by the arc of the dialogue that took place within it, there is little or no dialogue within these scenes. Instead, we see meaningless action that we instinctively understand cannot bring about the end of the fight, and so instead, only serve as an exhibition of the 'clever' things they can do with a lightsaber battle. This is shown most egregiously in the fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin, whose transition from meaningless and implausible setpiece to meaningless and implausible setpiece almost function as a parody of the issues that plagued the entirety of the excessive number of prequel fights. In other words, 80% of these fights are action sequence for the sake of action sequence, and we intuitively understand these sequences have no stakes.This is making the worst of essentially limitless resources

The fights in TFA are neither of these (more similar to cpntemporary cinematic swordfighting than the other two) but that's another post.
>>
OT: Duels between larger than life characters that have history and tension

Pringles: Fantastic Dance Numbers.

I don't see what's confusing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0qH2IaSjEU
>>
>>63961455
>shaky cam
>Lucas

C'mon know, if anything, Lucas knows when to park the fucking camera. He's old school that way.
>>
>realistic swordfighting is too boring for movies

Only if its made by a shit director

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIF8qouivIU
>>
>>63962724
Thats one of the things I thought was lacking in TFA, while there was a sort of mental struggle that characterized the OT fights, they really didnt dive in and wallow in it, and pacing and tension in the fight wasnt defined by the mental struggle between the characters anywhere near as much as it was in the OT.

The space battles also felt a little detached and fast for Star Wars, if you compare it to any of the OT fights (death star 1/hoth in particular) it seems very fast paced, rushed, and lacks tension.

Other than those two things and a few other small points I felt it was a pretty solid movie.
>>
>>63961501
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBTtq2Gzm6w

Also, probably not very realistic. I'd guess in real life, there's very little attacks cause both fighters are afraid they'll fuck up and the other guy is gonna use it against them.
>>
>>63964146
>realistic swordfighting
>links sport fencing

Pleb detected.
>>
>>63960727
>>63961629
>>63962099
>le maymay images to go along with my meme popular opinion posts

Go back to reddit
>>
>>63964109

More like laziness happening to work in his favor in this instance. Broken clocks and such.
>>
>>63964266
You could put real swords there and the effect would be the same.
>>
File: dd.jpg (63 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
dd.jpg
63 KB, 1280x720
>>63960336

Look at this pleb
>>
>>63960336
The drunken flailing is not realistic either, but it at least looks like a somewhat efficient form of fighting, unlike the acrobatic shit which is just pointless flair, particularly yoda's fighting style which looks retarded, disorienting and incredibly tiring.
>>
>>63964357
you do realize Jedi are space wizard samurai who literally use space magic, right?
>>
>>63964400
It's very easy to tell what generation you're from when you say these sorts of things you know.
>>
>>63964400
>space wizard
yes
>samurai
yes
>space magic
yes

Which part of this statement implies jumping around like a monkey? Also it's just my opinion but in the OT it never seemed like the force was such an incredibly powerful tool that you could use it to make yourself a superman. Sure Yoda lifted the x wing, but it required a lot of concentration from him, and it didn't seem so much like an offensive tool as it did a subtle way of manipulating reality, much like how other ways of the force work, like the mind trick, or luke letting the force guide him to destroy the death star.
>>
>>63964400

It was never implied in the original trilogy that Jedi had the improbable sword skills displayed in the prequels, and even if you take that for granted, the prequel fights are still filled with form over function. Having magical reflexes and coordination doesn't change what actually works in a fight.
>>
File: 1300404497012.jpg (50 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1300404497012.jpg
50 KB, 500x500
>>63964277
NO U
>>
>>63960336
When you move your eyes off the gif it looks faster.
>>
File: 1446066974172.png (78 KB, 190x212) Image search: [Google]
1446066974172.png
78 KB, 190x212
>>63960336

i have no words
>>
>>63964314

To be honest The Duellists was hardly a blockbuster. Obviously Disney would be going for something more flashy for it's new flagship movie, trying to appeal to a new generation of kids and teenagers
>>
>>63964720
He's got a point, have you seen fencing? Fencing fights last a split second and they're over. Sure a real fight might take a bit longer but they last a few seconds and they're not really long enough to carry over emotions that are invested in the fights.
>>
>>63964830
Yeah, I don't know much about fencing or sword fighting, but most normies don't understand top level boxing (e.g. Floyd Mayweather) so I wouldn't expect them to appreciate realistic high level sword fighting either. It would be much more tentative for starters, and I guess they would be constantly on their toes darting in and out of range, probing with feints and trying to spin the opponent, which might look silly to an untrained eye.
>>
>>63960336
Confirmed for never having seen Rob Roy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27M5KWI_q50
>>
>>63960336
If I wanted to watch unrealistic characters flailing and jumping around, I'd watch cartoons.
>>
>>63965491
>They are not even trying to hit each other
That's some prequel tier bullshit, except slow and boring.
>>
>>63960727
>Because, you pleb, the "drunken flailing" of the OT were impassioned pieces of cinematography dealing with two characters that had intense emotional tension that you, the viewer, were invested in emotionally.
Did Mr. Plinkett tell you that, fag?
>>
>>63964146
More Plinkett fans. I love it.

Reddit is here.
>>
>>63965623
Are you implying that Star Wars is more highbrow than cartoons? It's the same shit, just more expensive.
>>
>>63965491
>that sword screeching

awful movie
>>
>>63965855
Go watch Gladiator then.
>>
>>63960336
Fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on 4chan by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is 4chan. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it...
>>
>>63964400
>le something being fantasy means putting anything in it regardless of how retarded it is is justified may may
I really wish the planet would be cleansed of people like you.
>>
>>63966104
>REAL intellectual discussion
>/tv/
this board is basically /v/ and /s4s/'s disgusting lovechild
or is this just some pasta i haven't seen before
>>
>>63960336

lightsabers despite being a laser sword that basically cuts through anything aren't very practical as a weapon.

They're more of a weapon of tradition and honor and those having light saber duels usually had some kind of beef. They we're almost literally duels that had more to do with person turmoil of the people involved and not the fight itself.

TFA had a good balance of the duels fighting being actiony and fun to watch and still being more about the people behind the lightsabers and their beef.
>>
>>63966236
>replying to obvious copy pasta as if it was serious
How sad
>>
>>63966526
>Reading 2 line reply as a "serious response"
>Not reading as much as second line of a comment before replying
How disgusting.
>>
>>63965639
All stage fencing aims off-target, it's for safety in a live environment.

Films don't really need it because they can use camera tricks and multiple takes for safety, but many end up with it anyway because the fencing choreographers all started out in traditional theater where it was normal.

>>63964313
There's a lot of shitposting in this thread, but on the level with you I don't think that's quite right.

First, it's a bit of a nitpick, but if the swordplay isn't realistic in your example then it's really hard to say your example indicates realistic swordplay can be entertaining. Saying "just give them real swords" isn't really a fix for that because you're just saying "imagine if their swordplay was realistic, it'd be really interesting, right?" and that kind of defeats the point of using an example.

More helpfully, The Duellists nails the attitude (although not exactly the smallsword fencing techniques) that many fighters would have in a potentially lethal sword dueling situation. It wasn't a blockbuster of a movie, as another anon commented, but the swordplay is about as close to realistic as Hollywood gets and it did reasonably well for itself. From there it's much easier to imagine slight revisions for entertainment value and slight revisions for more historical accuracy and you have a fairly successful movie with realistic swordplay.

That said, it's hard. Hollywood doesn't like hiring HEMAfags, and a lot of established choreographers enjoy the same old stage fencing we've seen for decades. Most directors don't know how to fight, so they trust the choreographer, and...
>>
File: fedora2.jpg (84 KB, 496x750) Image search: [Google]
fedora2.jpg
84 KB, 496x750
>>63965677
>your opinion is invalid because a YouTube movie review shares it
>>
Lucas copied samurai movies for the OT and then copied Crounching Tiger Hidden Dragon for the PT
>>
>>63960727
>>63961629
>>63962099
>>63967302
no... this is reddit... this is meme... this is faggotry...
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.