[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BULLSHIT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6
ok so now for some reason lightsabers have weight to them.
In the force awakens, you can feel the weight of the weapons when the characters are swinging them around. This doesn't make any fucking sense, they're called light sabers LIGHT sabers.
The beam of light that comes out of the hilt is make of, yeah, LIGHT

Light doesn't have weight. This is why the lightsaber is a great weapon for the Jedi, since the blade of the weapon has no weight to it you need to use the force to sense where the blade is during combat without slicing your limbs off.

lol but no fuck that now anyone can use one

thanks jewjew
>>
>>63959476
>>Light doesn't have weight. This is why the lightsaber is a great weapon for the Jedi, since the blade of the weapon has no weight to it you need to use the force to sense where the blade is during combat without slicing your limbs off.
where in the movies was this mentioned
>>
>>63959476
are you being serious right now? You do realise that if you're using this logic that lightsabers can't exist at all? Fuck off
>>
>>63959476
we have no idea if he might be force sensitive or not
>>
File: images (1).jpg (7 KB, 244x207) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
7 KB, 244x207
>>63959476
>light doesn't have weight

there should be a mandatory IQ test before you're allowed to post on here.
>>
>>63959476
Pretty sure it's actually plasma held in some kind of EM field or something

Also Light Sabers are supposed to be real fuckin' heavy, the hilt or whatever anyway
>>
>>63959476
Lightsabers aren't made of light, they're made of plasma.
And following your logic, if they were only made of light, how could they even slice things up and all ?
>>
>>63959476
They're plasma. The sun is made of plasma and it has weight.
>>
>>63959476
>since the blade of the weapon has no weight to it you need to use the force to sense where the blade is during combat

What are eyes?
>>
>>63959525
>where in the movies was this mentioned
In the original trilogy, the lightsabers didn’t feel heavy at all, neither did they in prequels.
>>
>>63959732
>minuscule weight
>relevant to the discussion
>>
Autism test?
>>
The lightsaber fights in TFA looked cooler than those flips and spins in the prequels. I'm glad they have weight. Sorta like the OT.
>>
I thought there was a force field keeping the light in place or something
>>
>>63959476
It's not light.

It's plasma. Plasma is physical matter that's hyper-heated to the point of nuclear reactions like you see in a sun, and in the SW-verse it's contained by a magnetic field.
>>
>>63959476
>Lightsaber is made of light
neon lamp produces light but have weight.
Now what?
>>
>>63959476
the fighting style is just more aggressive and slow than that of the prequels

in the prequels their strikes were fast and many, most fighters were well trained and were aiming at to get in a just single hit against their opponent

in the new one they are trying to overpower each other with the pressure they are putting into each strike
>>
In the original trilogy weren't the actors told to act as if the sabers had some weight to them, and George just threw that concept out for the prequels because he's George? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>63960099
Not cooler, edgier. Star Wars was never edgy, though.

You are 16 or 17 so of course you like it.

>j-just like muh Souls shit
>>
In Jedi Academy you can switch between fast and medium and heavy style. This would indicate that there is some weight in the hilt or another mechanism.
>>
When Rey Force grabbed Luke's lightsaber away from Ren, she was holding it wrong then in the next scene when she turned it on her hands were in the right position.

Also, why is there any light on the planet if the sun was completely consumed?
>>
>>63960394
>>63959476
They did indeed have weight in the OT. TFA did nothing wrong in this regard.
George did "throw that out" for the PT, but he talks about why at least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIefj6dOhnM

Btw, you're retarded as shit OP.
>>
>>63959476
From what I understood the sith guy was swinging badly because he got blasted on his hips so any movement would be like throwing your entire body weight. And the other two using the saber badly because they never used one and in the old movies saber training was needed or something to get used to it. (Each one is unique so different weights)
>>
>>63959476
Actually the handles are incredibly heavy, which is why they are used with two hands.
>>
>>63960980
>in the next scene when she turned it on her hands were in the right position.

Wow, could it be that during the time she wasn't see, she moved her hands in the correct position? She was still fumbling with it.

Interesting point about the sun though. Star Wars doesn't follow how the world actually works very well. They would probably just say that the universe has more ambient light than ours.
>>
>lol but no fuck that now that anyone can use one

Han Solo used one in Empire you fucking autist
>>
>>63959841

>the sun has weight

no it doesnt, otherwise it wouldnt just float there
>>
>>63959476

>lol but no fuck that now anyone can use one

Han uses one in V you fucking mongoloid
>>
>>63962472
Han was a grown ass man with years of combat experience, not a teenage girl or a janitor who lost it on his first mission.
>>
>>63959476
Light doesn't have weight.

Plasma has weight. Plasma is incredibly dense.

A lightsaber blade is made of plasma.

End of discussion.
>>
File: this tbh fam.gif (160 KB, 921x155) Image search: [Google]
this tbh fam.gif
160 KB, 921x155
>>63962842
>>
>>63959476
It's not the beam of light that's heavy, it's the saber itself and what's inside it. It's like metal with crystals or something m8.

The reason the Jedi in the prequels were so good at using them and flung them around like toys was because they trained with them their whole life and could use their force strength to hold them no problem.
>>
>>63959476
they had weight in OT

>since the blade of the weapon has no weight to it you need to use the force to sense where the blade is during combat without slicing your limbs off.
where is this shown in the movies?

inb4 some video game bullshit
>>
>>63962431
>there are people this stupid on /tv/
>>
>>63960771
You're probably still refreshing the thread hoping for a reply lmao
>>
>>63962786
>combat experience
he was a smuggler, not a soldier you fucking idiot. Also how is combat experience relevant to swinging a giant glow stick around? He is only ever shown to be proficient with a blaster
>>
>>63959476
>since the blade of the weapon has no weight to it you need to use the force to sense where the blade is during combat without slicing your limbs off.

SURE SMELLS LIKE NOT CANON IN THIS BITCH
>>
"light" is a figure of speech called metonymy

it's actually something other than light, and the fact that it glows causes it to be referred to as 'light'

so if some kind of energy projection can interact with other energy projections without being interrupted or severed, then it could also possess inertia or something else similar to gravity

there is no discrepancy, just idiots arguing with other idiots, and giggling like 8 year olds that they have received a legitimate response
>>
>>63960771
/v/edditors need to leave
>>
>>63962431

I lol'd so hard at this.
>>
they had weight in the OT and they have even more realistic and cool weight in this one. it was a great choice.
>>
>>63962431
the irony is that he's correct

weight is something that mass has in relation to gravity

can [an object] weigh a certain amount if [that same object] is the only significant source of gravity acting on it? I'm not sure how the expression is parsed in a case like that
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (142 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
142 KB, 1600x1200
>>63959476

Also, Luke's lightsaber suddenly got about 50% bigger since Cloud City. They're not longer using the Graflex.
>>
>>63963236
He was strong enough to do it if they are heavy, unlike a teenage girl and has been in many fights so is more likely to have the nerve cool head to use it without getting flutered and chopping himself, unlike the janitor trooper who is shown to be a bit bumbling and scared.

also i read a book once that said han was a trained soldier and fighter pilot before he became a smuggler
>>
>>63963490
She is shown to be strong and capable, not my fault if you're a misogynist and can't believe a woman would be able to wield a lightsaber

>muh books
fuck off, EU was rightfully scrapped, your headcanon is irrelevant
>>
>>63959476
Literally no one cares. It looks cooler.
>>
>>63960099
The saber duels were done by people with little to no training in TFA. They were lame as hell. Duels between real Jedi and Sith are badass because they aren't just sword fighting, they're using martial arts and the force as well.
>>
>>63963595

>strong and capable

She's more than strong and capable, she simply unbelievably excels at everything. Why not just give her a cape and an 'S' on her shirt? It's equally believable.
>>
>>63959476
Lightsabers aren't actually made of light, you know. It's more like plasma.
>>
>>63963700
like what? you mean because she's a pilot? It's pretty well established that jedi make excellent pilots
>>
File: sabertwirl.gif (2 MB, 517x349) Image search: [Google]
sabertwirl.gif
2 MB, 517x349
>>63959476
Go to bed George.
>>
>>63963741
>like what?

Everything she does.
>>
>>63959732
>hurr Im so smart I know the miniscule weight of photons

pls kill yourself
>>
>>63959732
>reddit
>>
>>63959476
Are you serious right now? Of course lightsabers have weight! First of all the blade is plasma, but you're correct is virtually weightless. The hilt however is metal and is heavy enough to provide the "weight" you see. You can see the weight in the originals and the prequels, the only difference is the users are in their prime in the prequels or trained to a high degree in the originals (In Luke's case)
Han used Luke's saber to cut open the Tauntaun so it isn't necessary to possess the force to use one. Finn clearly got his ass kicked by Kylo Ren being untrained and the "weight" seen comes from Ren attacking viciously with anger and Finn being untrained and wild in his strikes.
>>
File: 1362757954252.jpg (41 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1362757954252.jpg
41 KB, 225x225
>>63962431
Oh shit that caught me offguard
>>
>>63963770
nice non-answer, it seems like you've been meme'd at too hard and have believed it. Rookies mistake son
>>
>>63959812
good call
>>
>>63963595
Didn't the movies make claim aside the EU stating you needed Jedi training to even hold a lightsaber?
Han had trouble and even Grievous had to duck tape lightsabers on him to work.
Is the only reason Rey and Finn able to fight because they are on force steroids?
>>
>>63963889
>Didn't the movies make claim aside the EU stating you needed Jedi training to even hold a lightsaber?
nope, if you'd like to direct me to a scene where this is discussed I'd be very interested though
>>
>>63963847

You should watch the movie for the first time. There's a camrip on primewire.
>>
>>63963969
>watching camrips
Saw in in the theater last week, now are you gonna come up with an actual argument or are we done here?
>>
>>63959992
So in other words nowhere is it ever said lightsabers have no weight?

Good. Now that this is cleared up, you can fuck off and drink bleach, cockmuncher.
>>
>>63963889
Never happened.
>>
>>63959992
I read that the actors were told to use the light sabers as if they were very heavy.
>>
>>63962431
my god he's right!
>>
>>63963254
This. You have to be an idiot to think it's literally a beam of light in the traditional sense. "Lightsaber" is just a catchy name.
>>
>>63960986
thanks for that one
>>
>>63962431
Hi Ken M!
>>
who gives a fuck about such a minor detail?
>>
>>63964188
Depends. Kershner went with weightless, Marquand went with heavy. That's why Vader changes from onehanded to twohanded style between ESB and ROTJ.
>>
>>63962431
Why am I laughing so hard
>>
>>63965807
Things that aren't canon
>>
>>63959476
If they were actually made of light, then lightsaber battles would be impossible, the blades would just pass through each other.

So they'd have to be made out of something with mass, like a super dense form of plasma.

This is something that would probably have weight, and it also emits light, hence the name lightsaber.

Happy?
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.