[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went right? Seriously, based Breson went ahead of his time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Pickpocket.jpg (194 KB, 1444x1060) Image search: [Google]
Pickpocket.jpg
194 KB, 1444x1060
What went right? Seriously, based Breson went ahead of his time with this one, better shot than 90 percent of the shit in Hollywood today.
>>
File: hershlag.jpg (181 KB, 1488x1080) Image search: [Google]
hershlag.jpg
181 KB, 1488x1080
Hershlag was cute in this movie
>>
Loved the score. Is it available anywhere?
>>
>>63944751
Well it's obviously easier to plan and shoot in black and white. It's literally millions of times less complex. Comparing modern directors that have to use modern cameras that record so much more isn't really fair.
>>
>>63944841
What
>>
Bresonwho?
>>
Everything went right. Second-favorite Bresson after A Man Escaped. I love how he obsesses over the little details and the smallest gestures; especially love the way he shoots hands.
>>
In my opinion, Pickpocket is one of the greatest films ever made. If you have seen any of Bresson's films you will know that he has a spare, ascetic style. He rigidly limits the vocabulary of his camera (but certainly not its expressiveness), and dictates that his actors (he calls them models) repress any desire to "act out" their lines. His style allows him the greatest subtlety of expression, since even the most modest movement and gesture becomes imbued with significance, almost approaching the quality of The Force Awakens. The scenes of the criminals plying their trade in Paris are the finest, albeit most abstract, crime scenes ever filmed. The ending is so uplifting and exhilarating that I cannot begin to describe it.

My favorite Bresson film, though, is A Man Escaped.
>>
>>63944787
padme?
>>
>>63944977
*farts*
>>
>>63944974
>>63944977
A Man Escaped is exciting the first time, but I don't see much else to it. It doesn't have the substance that Pickpocket, Diary of a Country Priest, or even Au Hasard Balthazar (my least favorite Bresson) have.
>>
>>63945274
was eraserhead dude inspired by diary of country priest dude? damn they look alike.
>>
>>63945417
Mr. Eraserhead looks more like Sergei Einstein
>>
>>63945274
I've seen it a couple of times, and I always found it exciting. We are so limited by Fontaine's perspective that we start to obsess over every detail even without Bresson's focus on it. I just think it's masterfully constructed, and always saw it as having a lot to say on compassion in the face of amorality and the human will to survive.

Ironically enough, his film which I believe has the most to say is also my least-favorite out of the ones I have seen; L'Argent.
>>
I liked it though I feel like sometimes European malaise comes off as unintentional comedy to an American viewer. The flat acting style does sell me on Michel (I think that's his name) being a total piece of shit though.

I did enjoy the way Bresson obsessively details the art of pickpocketing, but I have to wonder how people don't feel the guy's hands all over their clothes.
>>
>>63945712
The art of pick-pocketing is usually much too fast to be caught by the naked eye. The coreographies are beautiful, but they aren't realistic (because they couldn't be).

Speaking of the main character being a piece of shit, nothing sold me on that idea as much as much as the fact that the guy is literally 3 sizes too small for his clothes. That was a great touch.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.