[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Saving Private Ryan the best ww2 movie ever made?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 300x425) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 300x425
Is Saving Private Ryan the best ww2 movie ever made?
>>
>>63941966
That's not Shoah
>>
>>63941966

It's hard to say for me, I also really enjoy Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of Our Fathers.
>>
>>63942009
No fantasy films pls
>>
>>63941966

According to your average 14 year old, yes.
>>
It's a great movie hindered by the fact that everything after the D-Day scene is completely fictional.
>>
It feels like forever since somebody made a good old war film.
>>
>>63942227

Yeah, I had hoped that Fury was going to satisfy.
>>
>>63942282
It was great up until the dinner and Tiger scene then it just went to shit especially at the end.
>>
>>63942507

I was hoping for a more claustrophobic feeling that being inside the tank would give. Like Lebanon, I think it was?
>>
The thin red line was better
>>
I know its a miniseries not a movie but Band of Brothers is my favorite ww2 story.

>inb4 /thread
>>
>>63941966
Inglorious Basterds for me
>>
>>63941966
The longer I'm alive, the more I've grown to favor The Thin Red Line. No other movie encompasses how much it sucks to be in the military, especially during a war.
>>
I'm a Come and See guy myself. I do need to rewatch Shoah though.
>>
>>63942831

Dude, Come and See is just weird ass russian symbolism with like 2 good pillage scenes
>>
>>63942574

they didn't really explore this feature at all.
I mean you can make it just afucking psycho act being inside a tank and leave all the drama shit outside.
maybe a little more das boot would've done fury good.
>>
>>63941966

No this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHb8tBh_VnU
>>
>>63942881
And an amazing bombing scene, and some grueling massacres, and the wading through the mud scene which I thought was fucking heartbreaking.
Symbolism's there, but I think it's a really human story at its core. To each their own though.
>>
>>63941966

there are lots of great ones but Thin Red Line is my favourite. it is just astonishingly beautiful and one of the most complicated, interesting looks at what war means and what it does to the people involved.

I like Saving Private Ryan a lot though. That opening 20 minute sequence is justly famous, total masterpiece of filmmaking in the opening stretch. I don't think the rest of the movie is as good but it's still a really good movie.
>>
>>63942282

>Fury
>an entire SS battalion literally so fucking amped to go to fight they are singing about the opportunity gets shat on by 1 disabled tank.
>lol maybe we should have actually used tactics like the crack shock troopers we are instead of just human-wave zerg rushing a machine gun position
>>
I also love Seven Beauties (as weird as the fucking thing is, and I love Giannini), Rome Open City, To Be or Not to Be...probably forgetting a bunch. There are loads of really good WWII movies :D
>>
pic related
>>
>>63943149
This bugged me a lot, not to mention the Pak crews missing every single shot at slow moving targets coming straight at them and missing Fury at point blank range in the town.
>>
>>63943234

To Be Or No To Be is a great choice. Lubitsch is just the best.

I still haven't watched Rome Open City after having it on my shelf for years but you've encouraged me to get around to it soon
>>
>>63941966
probably. Am partial to Letters from Iwo Jima as well
>>63942009
not explicitly a WWII movie
>>
>>63943380
get that weeb shit out of here
>>
>>63943837

Letters had some shitty CGI. The sound design and maneuvers in SPR are top tier
>>
File: Paths of Glory.png (667 KB, 1200x720) Image search: [Google]
Paths of Glory.png
667 KB, 1200x720
>>63941966
You're a deadset fucking pleb, boy. Now get the FUCK out of here.
>>
>>63944213

>ww2
>>
Who /generation war/ here?
>>
File: p22250_d_v7_aa.jpg (155 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
p22250_d_v7_aa.jpg
155 KB, 480x720
>>63942616
>anything but this

embarrassing
>>
The five hour extended cut of Das Boot is.
>>
File: Cross of Iron.jpg (21 KB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
Cross of Iron.jpg
21 KB, 624x352
>>63941966
That's not Cross of Iron
>>
post pics of the qt french girl pls
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.