[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did the "owls are wise" meme get started? They
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: 1450727813017.jpg (75 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1450727813017.jpg
75 KB, 1280x720
How did the "owls are wise" meme get started? They are specialized silent night killers. They are literally viscous assassins.

The next time I see an item called "x of the owl" I expect it to have +agi or bonus stealth or damage.
>>
/tv/ - Nocturnal birds and intepretation of old sayings
>>
>>63927207
they're also really stupid compared to crows or even other birds of prey
>>
File: implying_owls_are_birds.jpg (35 KB, 650x450) Image search: [Google]
implying_owls_are_birds.jpg
35 KB, 650x450
>>63927244
>birds
>>
Owls have characteristics that make them able to overcome the perils that lurks in the darkness, and the difficulty of traveling through it, so they can reach their prey.

Now, darkness has always been associated with negative qualities, and in this case, with ignorance.

The owls (wisdom) can defeat the darkness (ignorance) to reach their prey ( the truth).
>>
They have roosted in Serbia, they are aware of approaching time of coming which now is soon.
>>
File: the-secret-of-nimh-owl.jpg (145 KB, 1280x696) Image search: [Google]
the-secret-of-nimh-owl.jpg
145 KB, 1280x696
Owls are cool.
>>
Athens
>>
File: 1446858629584.jpg (17 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1446858629584.jpg
17 KB, 400x400
>>63927207
>they look like satan
>illuminati
when in doubt it's the illuminati
>>
I'm pretty sure it comes from the old Greek legends
The real world reason is probably something boring like owls are nocturnal and wise people tend to be up late reading and stuff
>>
>>63927207
Ever since Ancient Greece, at least.
>>
File: qpkzgp.jpg (273 KB, 660x491) Image search: [Google]
qpkzgp.jpg
273 KB, 660x491
>>63927207
>>
i went to theater and tehy didnt allow me and my falcon in
so i got an owl badumsttssss JUST xDDD
>>
>>63929652
!
>>
>>63927207
It's because in ancient Greece, they were sacred to Athena, the goddess of wisdom, and from the middle ages through the Victorian era, western intelligentsia has had a boner for ancient Greece. Most other cultures attribute either fierce or sinister characteristics to owls.
>>
look at an owl, they have very "human" faces compared to dumb looking birds so naturally simplistic superstitious white greeks attributed them to being closer to human intelligence
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.