[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just finished the audiobook version of The Force Awakens (by
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
I just finished the audiobook version of The Force Awakens (by Alan Dean Foster), and I realized that there a few things you might not know about the story.

I didn't see the movie itself, so I can't really know this for sure, but I lurked on /tv/ and maybe you need these extra infos.

I'll make a list and if you have any questions, just ask:

Maz Kanata is not a jedi. She says it explicitly "I'm no jedi, but..."
No one mentions the "sith". Kylo Ren, for example, should be calm, cold, and not angry, like Sith Lords. Whatever he is, he does it wrong.
Snoke has pink skin (I mean like white people, sorry for my english) and blue eyes.
Snoke watched Kylo / Ben for a long time before he turned to the Dark Side. Leia tells this for Han. Han didn't know that and he left Leia because he thought he'd remind her to Ben.
Also Leia is annoying. Han hesitates to leave Starkiller Base (and Ben), but he faces his son because he promised his wife to take their son home.
Also Leia basically ordered this to Han. "If you bring him home, we'll be all right." Han dies because his wife couldn't let go Ben (who ruined Luke's jedi temple, etc - he was a good friend)
>>
>>63923266
cont.

Poe really disappears, but we see him again before the last X-wing fight. A rendom sandalien finds him in the desert. When he realizes what a good pilot Poe is he decides to help him - and yeah, somehow he leave the planet. Probably with the help of this alien.
The vision is better in the movie. The script is pretty vague, but I think there was a woman's voice who told Rey to remain in Jakku and wait for her.
Stormtroopers are raised from childhood.
The Falcon's control panel is full of wookiee hair.

I know I should start this thread earlier, I already forgot a lot of interesting stuff.
Anyway: ask and maybe I'll remember.

>inb4 this is an audiobook / book and so it's not /tv/-related

It's about the Force Awakens and based on the screenplay.
>>
>>63923266

Some of you said that there was a grave at Luke's hidden planet. The book doesn't mention it. It's just an ancient temple and Luke stands there.
We don't know anything about Phasma. She's completely unnecessary, even in the book.
Most conversations are cringeworthy and awkward, but Alan Dean Foster really, really tried to make a good book out of this trainwreck. He really is a good friend. I think the book must be way better than the movie.
We don't know why C3PO has a red arm. I think they mention it once and that's it. Also R2D2 is dormant for the same reason: we just don't know.
Nobody mentions what's the matter with this new Republic. Leia suggests that it's already shit. Also she's afraid that she would be 100% assassinated if she would travel to the Senate.
>>
>>63923266
Starkiller Base works with dark matter, or something like that. There was a scientific mumbo-jumbo about it. It fires shit through hyperspace. We don't know how or why did the New Order build it.
We don't know how the New Order was even born. It's lazy writing.
Kylo Ren knows that Vader turned to the Light Side at the end. He knows that this was a weakness and tries to avoid it. So he probably thinks about Vader like Yoda and Obi-wan: Anakin is a different person. Kylo admires Vader, not Anakin.
Snoke has been around during the Galactic Empire. He thinks it was Vader who fucked things up - if he wouldn't turn to the Light Side it would be all cool.
Kylo is special because he sybolizes the Dark Side and the Light (yeah, the speech from the trailer). So Snoke somehow thinks that even the Light Side is ok (why would he say something like that?)
Kylo / Ben was attracted to the Dark Side since the beginning. Leia saw this and, as I already said, somehow knew that Snoke tries to turn Ben.
No one says why Maz Kanata is so interesting or important. She is old and weird. And she likes to stare into people eyes. But if she really sees something or just has this cool jedi-like speech...?
The Falcon is full of booby traps. The ship is heavily modified (probably by Han)
>>
>>63923266
Nobody knows who Snoke is. Not even the New Order. Which is funny - why would they follow a weird hooded guy? Probably is a Sheev-fetish, or something.
Leia didn't recognize Rey. Nobody did. (Well, Luke might be, but we don't know)
There's a "chemistry" between Rey and Finn. They might end up as a couple. However, at the end of the story, when Rey and Poe meet first time, there's a weird sympathy, too. Every boy likes Rey and Rey likes every boy. Awww yeah!
BB8 might be a big thing in the movie (it is cute, so they say), but you don't feel this in the book. It is just like R2, and that's it. Funny little droid.
>>
>>63923266

Last thing I remember: We don't know why Luke is so fucking important. Leia needs him like a 5 year old little sister misses her big brother (Leia was REALLY annoying in the book - she acted like an autist), but that's it. Snoke fears him and thinks that he must not be contacted by the resistance.
No one else mentions Luke. Finn knows a lot about history and thinks that Solo is a war hero. But only Leia and Snoke thinks about Luke. Not even Kylo mentions his old master, which is weird.
>>
>>63923266

One more thing: The book kinda tells us why the stormtroopers and the TIE-fighters look different now: they meant to be special forces. Even the TIEs. I think they call them "TIE advanced" now, which is funny from the perspective of the Legends.
>>
Does it explain why the fuck there's STILL an Empire, AND a Republic?
>>
>>63924481

Well, surprisingly it doesn't. It just exists. I think they mentions that the last remnants of the Empire transformed into the Order and that people somehow need to be ruled. So, it seems, people liked the security of dictatorship.But about this New Republic we knows nothing. It's already corrupt, or just weak. They're too pussies to help the Resistance and oppose the New Order.
>>
>>63923266

Also sadly we have no idea who the Knights of Ren are, not even from the book. Foster mentions them max twice, and that's it. We saw the 7 samurai in the flashback - yes, there are 7 of them - but nothing more.
>>
>>63923266

About the Vader-fanboyism: It was explicitly stated that Vader was shit. He turned to the Light in a crucial moment and fucked up the glory of the Dark... or so they say one moment... But in another moment Kylo tells the helmet to show him the Dark, again. WHAT? It's like being a neo-nazi with a weird attitude towards Hitler. Yeah, he's the ultimate führer... yet he is a failure. Now which one?
>>
>>63925011
and we have no idea what is the thing that Vader started and Kylo wants to finish. It's either lazy writing or Kylo wants to betray Snoke.
>>
>>63923266

Fun fact: When Kylo removes his mask, Rey thinks that he has an absolutely normal, common face. Like she could meet him in the streets on Jakku and wouldn't even think he's special. Well, at least the screenplay doesn't try to tell us that Driver is handsome...
>>
Thanks anon, interesting points here. I bet there will be a lot of spinoffs that will explain what happened after ROTJ with the Republic and the remnants of the empire.
>>
>>63925509

The new story needs a lot of explanations... almost too much. Painfully.

As other anons already said, it shouldn't be THIS "cliffhangery".
>>
>>63924144
So you're saying Rey is the biggest whore in the galaxy? Sounds like my ex.
>>
>>63923284
>Poe really disappears, but we see him again before the last X-wing fight. A rendom sandalien finds him in the desert. When he realizes what a good pilot Poe is he decides to help him - and yeah, somehow he leave the planet. Probably with the help of this alien.

This is the most interesting part of your post
Pretty much everything else you mentioned was in the film. But this was a minor pot hole (of sorts, Poe's a hero so it wasn't hard to imagine he managed to save himself somehow)
>>
>>63925357
No one cared until he put on the mask.
>>
>>63924144
Abrams cut this scene from the movie that was included in the novel.

Cheers and spontaneous embraces filled the room with so much joy that no one paid any attention to who was hugging what representative of whichever species. Rey and Poe were not excluded, though their sudden, tight clinch of shared excitement led to a moment of mutual awkwardness.

“Uh, hi,” the pilot mumbled. “I’m Poe.”

She nodded slowly, searching his face and finding that she liked it. “I recognize the name. So you’re Poe. Poe Dameron, the X-wing pilot. I’m Rey.”

“I know.” He smiled back, a little more at ease. “Nice to meet you.”

Although he said that the bluray release will probably include some of the 10-20 minutes that was cut from the film so there's still hope.
>>
>>63925921

Rey and Finn care for each other, that's for sure. And Rey acts awkwardly with Poe, like silly teenagers. Also when Kylo mindfucks Rey he says he senses emotions towards Finn. The screenplay suggests Rey loves Finn. But I think it's just teasing and it won't happen.

>>63926180

Yeah, I know. When I listened to the story I was kinda confused: why the anons said Poe's disappearance is so weird? The book explains he was saved by a random alien. Now I know it must be cut content.

>>63926678

He's an angsty, pathetic guy.
Even Snoke senses this in him. Han also said Snoke just wants to use him, cause of the Skywalker blood. But otherwise he's a joke.

>>63926791

Well, I think that's the exact scene, so you just helped me a lot. Thanks anon!
>>
>>63927027
It is the exact scene. I just copy pasted it from the ebook.
>>
File: ddgd.gif (862 KB, 245x220) Image search: [Google]
ddgd.gif
862 KB, 245x220
>>63927098
pic related

>>63923266

I have another answer by the way: So why is Rey so mary sue-ish in certain things. For example with mechanics. Well, the screenplay points out many times that she is a fucking scavenger. She loves to tinker with mechs. She was basically repairing and collecting mechanical stuff for 10-15 years (at least) at 24/7. Scavenging, eating, sleeping, repeat. She knows which parts of that old star destroyer are valuable, for example. And she says the Falcon is obsolate as hell, just like that star destroyer. She's kind of an expert of old mech. That's why she could fly and repair the Falcon so well.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.