[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me one good reason why this isn't the greatest piece
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: Ugetsu monogatari.jpg (170 KB, 454x640) Image search: [Google]
Ugetsu monogatari.jpg
170 KB, 454x640
Give me one good reason why this isn't the greatest piece of filmmaking the world has ever seen.

I'll wait.
>>
>>63921716
That's not The Human Condition trilogy.
>>
>>63921716 (OP)
>>
>Black and white
>Foreign (probably korean or some shit)

Lol I'm not watching that
>>
>>63921716 (OP) (OP)
>>
Sorry I don't speak chink
>>
>>63921716
If you still think name dropping obscure films with shit bait like "this is the best film ever" is going to make a fun thread for you with tons of replies you're way off base.

That said there is no such thing as a "greatest work" of any artistic medium including the cinema. Might as well ask whats the greatest novel of all time or what the greatest bronze sculpture or greatest painting. Comparing art in this way is the surest sign of a true and helpless pleb who will never actually acquire the good taste he/she so desperately craves.
>>
>>63921759
>>63921778
>>63921823
That's three pieces, desu. Ineligible for the title.
>>
>>63921922
>Ugetsu
>obscure

Are you being serious right now?
>>
>>63921922
>obscure

Dude, it's one of the most highly acclaimed films of all time.
>>
Ugetsu Monogatari?

What's it about? I wanna see this.
>>
>>63921922

Hello /v/
>>
>>63921797
It's Japanese, and Korea didn't have much of a movie industry to speak of before the 00s. Not in an international sense, anyway.
>>
>>63922114
Just watch it. It's only like 90 minutes and well worth it.
>>
>>63921716
Give us reasons why it is.
>>
>>63921982
>>63921998
Don't play that game friendo you know what I mean. Mizoguchi is a far off the mainstream radar as any other well famous or regarded filmmaker. Ask if Ugetsu isn't obscure in a star wars thread or out on the street if the name Mizoguchi rings any bells for non-cinephile types.
>>
>>63922429
Sure, but that's kind of altering the context.

You wouldn't call System Shock obscure in a thread on /v/ because people who pay no attention to the video game scene don't know about it, would you?
>>
>>63922429
Yes, but we're on a board specifically for film, so it's a bit different.
>>
>>63922646
>>63922724
You can't seriously expect /tv/ to be familiar with movies can you?
>>
>>63921716
I liked Sansho the Bailiff better
>>
>>63922742
Well yeah, but the fact remains that Ugetsu isn't in anyway obscure if you have the tinniest amount of film knowledge.
>>
>>63922724
No we are on a Star Wars specific board. My expectations are allowed to be as low as they are because of weeks of non stop shitposts.
>>63922742
kek.
>>
>>63922742
Obviously not everyone, but you shouldn't underestimate the number of relatively knowledgeable people with a sincere interest in film lurking here.
>>
>>63922818
I did to on first viewing, but Ugetsu has grown and grown on me. I still love Sansho as well, though. I'd put it as a joint number three with Oharu, Chrysanthemums being my second favourite Mizoguchi.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.