[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did your opinion on the prequels change the moment you stepped
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 6
File: Star_Wars_Phantom_Menace_poster.jpg (146 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
Star_Wars_Phantom_Menace_poster.jpg
146 KB, 300x450
Did your opinion on the prequels change the moment you stepped out of the cinema after watching Force Awakens /tv/?
>>
Nope the force awakens actually had a good script and characters unlike the prequels.
>>
No, I've always enjoyed them. Sad that even the prequels had amazing scores and music but $400 million TFA doesn't have a single memorable score
>>
The moment the opening credits started
>>
>>63920414
No they are still shit, force awakrns ix just new hope remade
>>
No, I thought it was cool and wanted to be a pod racer because I was 3.
>>
Not at all, no.

Are people seriously talking sugar on the prequels after watching Force Awakens?
>>
>>63920458
I wouldn't call the script for ep 7 good, but it was definitely far and above the prequels
>>
>>63920414

Yes, not only they had new and fresh ideas, but the art direction was really good. The dialogue and major plot points were fucking retarded though.
>>
>>63920499
This.
>>
>>63920614

It was a worse version of New Hope

and had production design straight out of star trek, you are a lying nigger.
>>
>>63920414
Revenge of the Sith became better. Hayden Kristensen looks less like an annoying brat.
>>
>>63920414
I hate sand now just as much as I did last wednesday desu
>>
>>63920805

This. I thought anakin was whiney edgelord kid. I was wrong.
>>
Yes
now I hate them even more
>>
>>63920499
The reason is that the sound editing was garbage. With Lucas's movies, the music was always prominent. TFA, the score would get drowned out by sound effects or dialogue. It was only the quiet moments that I remembered the movie still had music.
>>
>>63920414
No, as I've always lauded the prequels for trying to stay true to Lucas' vision instead of pandering to man children and regular children.

Stop trying to make liking the prequels a meme, tv has always respected the effort behind them, we just knew they were flawed but good efforts.
>>
>>63920414
Yes, when we visited new planet in PT it looked memorable and alien. I TFA all of it might as well happen on Earth. This alone make PT much better space opera.
>>
No.
>>
>>63920414
No. The prequels will always be garbage. They will always be a monument of just how badly Lucas didn't understand what made the originals so beloved by their fans.
>>
I always liked the phantom menace, but that's just because I watched it when I was 6 and it will forever be part of my childhood, just like the lost world
>>
>>63920878
Youre an enormous faggot. You are the type of nigga i wanna punch in the face for saying some stupid shit like that. Fuckin autists leave, this is normie board

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>63920414
No, I think they still have some great many moments but also some terrible ideas.

The only thing I didn't like in TFA was that the fanservice was a bit too much and that they recacled many motifs. But for me it wasn't that terrible to watch.

I was also surprised how well Abrahms more energetic style worked with this one.
>>
darth Maul, and pod races and Yoda were good in tpm, attack of the clones...nothing, and the last ten minutes of Revenge o sith..
>>
>>63920414
yes
i realized they are even worse than i thought

force awakens played it safe, yet it was still a hundred times better than any of the prequels.
>>
No.

This did though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDLM-dXP-KE
>>
>>63920965

Shut up nigger, you're not punching anyone. You leave.
>>
Saw Revenge of the Sith a day before going to see TFA,

Revenge of the Sith was honestly one of the worst movies I've ever seen and I think people thinking that it's good in any way just haven't seen it in a while to experience how horrible it actually is
>villains have no character
>protagonist arc makes him seem like he got tricked into being evil
>protagonist's acting is noticeably worse than the rest of the cast
>cuts and editing don't make any sense and change the tone of the movie randomly
>lightstabre combat looks like a glow stick dance party
>CGI out the ass, even actors are replaced with CGI in action sequences
>ruins original trilogy characters by making the emperor a Yoda-type wise back flip doing sith master and Darth Vader an idiot who destroyed the entire Jedi order just to save Padme and then decided to roll with it after he found out she was dead

TFA still wasn't good but it doesn't retroactively make the prequels not dog shit
>>
>>63921161
>a fan edit changed my opinion of the prequels

The prequel fan edits should tell you that what the prequels desperately needed was for george lucas to have less creative control.
>>
>>63921157
>yet it was still a hundred times better than any of the prequels

Do you really enjoy coming on tv and shitting up the board with your edgelord opinions?

Really?
>>
Yes I realized how dull and lifeless the prequels, especially the one you posted really are. III is the only decent one
>>
In a world where the prequels are not the last star wars thing to ever come out I'm more willing to appreciate what they did right and see them as "odd" entries into the series in place of just terrible
>>
>>63921253
You know what I meant. 99% of the prequel fan edits were worse than the originals. That one made them into a genuinely enjoyable film.
>>
>>63921262
so agreeing with the mainstream is edgelord?
dont you think that /tv/ touting that the prequels were actually good is the edgelord opinion?
>>
>Han Solo, former husband and father of her only son is dead
>she proceeds to hug a member of the resistance whom she only knew for about half a day
>she completely ignores chewbacca
>chewbacca completely ignores leia

was I the only one extremely pissed at this scene?
>>
no, the prequels are horrible, and fuck up the OT

TFA was decent but I still prefer the EU because the thrawn trilogy and stuff like vector prime are better stories
>>
>>63921292
>dont you think that /tv/ touting that the prequels were actually good is the edgelord opinion

No because tv always respected the PT because of their world building and complex politics.

Stop rewriting the history of a board you've been posting on for like 15 minutes
>>
>>63921304

There was zero chemistry from Ford and Fischer in this movie so no.
>>
the prequels were simply movies nobody asked for.

star wars was always about a wacky space adventure. Clear cut good vs bad guys, funny one liners, jedis fucking shit up and whatnot.

the prequels almost had none of that. The prequels decided to focus on world building and political stuff, and while that woudl've been fine in a spinoff series, it was really not something that should've been included in the main, numbered series.

sadly, on top of that, Lucas was clearly out of his depth. His writing is fine for OT kind of stuff, like one liners, mid fight dialogue and edgy villain shit, but for dry stuff like politics and proper romance? No fucking way.

so even though the premise could've been at least interesting, he completely fucked it by writing it himself.
>>
>>63921410
>complex politics
oh bullshit lol this was the most universally mocked and hated part of the prequels
>>
File: Attack_of_the_clones_4.jpg (38 KB, 720x360) Image search: [Google]
Attack_of_the_clones_4.jpg
38 KB, 720x360
>>63920414
Yes.

The prequels gave me a lot of memorable shit: the Clone Wars: Clone Troopers VS. CIScum and their cool hardware, podracing, yes even Jarjar. Order 66 and all that.

Meanwhile I can't remember anything iconic about TFA. At all. And it has a hamfisted mary sue lead character. If Rey was meant to be a lead that is.
>>
>>63921304
No I was thinking the same thing.
>>
>>63921616
>podracing
>memorable

Literally a waste of an hour.
>>
>>63921616

TFA iconic scene will be kylo ren impaling han solo
but not because it was a good scene, just because a major character of cinema died
jj abrams is a fucking hack
>>
>>63920414
no i loved them until i watched the plinkett reviews now im really fucking smart

come to reddit if you want to circlejerk with us!
>>
>>63921616
all I remember about the prequels is how ugly and muddled everything was due to late-90s CGI.

It looks okay in the DVDs, but in the theater is was just pretty disgusting.
>>
>>63921719
See, that even did not produce a shock to me. It was so hamfisted.

And I wasn't spoilered as fuck.
>>
>>63920541
This. Just because TFA Is a new hope omage doesn't make the prequels not a horrible mess
>>
>>63921739
the plinkett reviews didn't change anyone's opinion, they simply validated unspoken opinions.

Everyone knew there was something off about the prequels, but they suppressed those feelings.
>>
>>63921777
>all I remember about the prequels is how ugly and muddled everything was due to late-90s CGI.
Hindsight. Didn't think it was the case when I first watched it. It was like PS one graphics was ok but when PS2 showed up, it made PS one look primitive. And so on.
>>
No, but I realized that TFA is just as garbage as them
>>
>>63921739
>wahhh im a manchild that actually liked the prequels and I get upset when people rightfully call them shit
>>
THE PREQUELS ARE BAD FILMS

DONT BELIEVE THEIR LIES

https://youtu.be/Vs93ITM9G4Q
>>
>>63921739
>underage people think people liked the prequels before the Plinkett reviews
>>
>>63921879
>hindsight
... yes, it was the direct impression I had after leaving the theaters.
>>
>>63921919

Well i watched them as a child, being almost 27 years old and a pretty mature man,I still enjoy them on occassion, TFA was bland shit.
>>
>>63920414
Yes, I realized the PT was even worse than I thought.
>>
>>63921975
>underage fuckboy pretending he was old enough to even see TPM in the cinema let alone have conversations about it

Let me guess though
>i was a child and i still knew it was shit
Right?
>>
>>63922080
>implying I didn't see TPM in theatres

Why are prequel fanbois always so wrong?
>>
>>63920414
Nah. They're bad movies.

Comparing their concepts and ambitions to TFA's lack of concepts and ambitions is interesting though.

A bit unrelated, but I've liked the rationalising from people that TFA being a beat for beat copy and paste of ANH is somehow a good thing. Not a single person wanted that before they saw the movie but since seeing it, it's apparently a good thing because "it sets up the sequels", whatever that means. A solid, more original, adventure movie would have done that as well.
>>
>>63921304
JJ trying to artificially force relationships.

>plebs eat it up
>>
>>63922080
I saw it in the theatre and no I wasn't a child, and yes it was a disaster.
>>
>>63922175
I don't really think its a fair comparison, though. The concepts and ambitions of the prequels were touched upon by the OT. So in the end all the prequels did was retread ground laid by the OT in, often, the worst ways possible.

Conversely, the ambition of TFA was to remind people of what made star wars such a huge hit in the first place. Of which nothing was in the prequels.
>>
no but it made me realize that its Star Wars for people that don't like Star Wars but like the idea of being seen liking Star Wars
>>
>>63920499
>TFA doesn't have a single memorable score

THIS.

shit, I was disappointed. Williams didn't use leitmotif nearly as much as in previous films.

there was no Duel of the Fates or Battle of the Heroes here
>>
>>63922303
Lucas explored the political realms of the galaxy, the Jedi order and the old republic in the prequels.

I'm not saying he did it well (because he didn't), just that he consciously aimed to offer something different from the OT. The movies didn't fail because they were different, the failed because they were poorly made.

With TFA, JJ played it as safe as humanly possible.
>>
>>63922386
kek
>>
>>63922635
The problem is lucas didn't explore all that much. He just kinda walked the narrow paths defined by the OT. Like he couldn't do much with vader, obi-wan, or yoda, or the emperor because their paths were set. And the emperor's path being set means what details lucas added about the galactic republic and the jedi order were rendered irrelevant by the fact sheev was behind everything. The republic/jedi didn't fail because of central hypocrisies or infighting, they failed because sheev did it. The scenes with yoda on dagobah weren't expanded at all because lucas seemed to set out to validate everything yoda said. All emotions are dark side. The universe would've been perfect, in lucas' mind, had sheev not decided to play for power.

So in the end, all the prequels seemed to do was dilute or tarnish the OT. They did this so methodically, it seemed to be their primary intention.
>>
>>63922552
Didn't Williams only get to work on the score a few months before it's release?
>>
File: 1450215614272.jpg (11 KB, 356x297) Image search: [Google]
1450215614272.jpg
11 KB, 356x297
the only prequel I hate is episode I.
>>
>>63923292
Episode II is worse in every way.
>>
>>63920414
I liked the Prequels even more after TFA. What say you, anon?

Strawpoll.me/6306008/
>>
No, because I'm not an edgy contrarian, both TFA and the prequels were uninspired commercial products.
>>
>>63920414
did a marathon of both trilogies a few days back twice, and just got out from TFA for the second time
both the PT and OT are pretty meh
>>
>>63923245
I guess we'll have to disagree. I think Lucas aimed to present a very different feel to the galaxy in the prequels. It just didn't work.

JJ intended to copy ANH in almost every way and has clearly succeed, considering fan reaction.
>>
>>63923632
Episode II doesn't have "I'll try spinning, that's a good trick!"
>>
>>63924207
What lucas was aiming to do with the prequels was to present his pure, unedited vision of the universe. Because he deeply resented every veto of any of the idea he threw out while working on the OT.

The problem is the man desperately needs an editor. Also a cinematographer and script writer.
>>
>>63921690

I saw the podrace sequence while high. Twas fun
>>
>>63924272
The bad parts of episode 1 contrast the not-so-bad parts of episode 1, making the latter seem better.

Episode 2 was just "not-so-good" start to finish.
>>
>>63921431
>There was zero chemistry from Ford and Fischer
Have you ever met a married couple? Chemistry only exists when you're young and hot.
>>
I enjoyed Phantom Menace. I liked the build up to the Darth Maul finale and the fight itself out of all the movies.
>>
>>63924668

Same. Though I'd say ROTS is my favorite of the prequels.
>>
>>63924668
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw
>>
>>63920458
>good script
>good character
>Episode VII
>>
>>63924921

>fight choreography in a fictional movie looks faker when slowed down to eliminate the illusion that people are hitting each other that is created by speed and quick shifts in angle.

what a shock.
>>
File: unlimited power.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
unlimited power.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
I've always enjoyed the prequels and always will. I really like The Force Awakens as well.

Why does everyone feel the need to take sides? I just love Star Wars.
>>
>>63925307
Because dumb plebeian masses with their hive-mind mentality think VII is comparable to the OT.
>>
>>63925307
This desu. Ep. II is the only star wars movie I dislike.
>>
>>63925307

>Some Coruscant degenerate has Windu's lightsaber just lying around his apartment, gathering dust.

JUST
>>
Tfa vs rots

Which one?
>>
>>63926087
FORCE

>>63926218
Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens are on the same tier slightly better than ROTS
>>
>>63926218
tfa but its close
rots is better than ROTJ though
>>
File: B5BSVqH.png (581 KB, 599x825) Image search: [Google]
B5BSVqH.png
581 KB, 599x825
>>63925307
2 different tones, 2 different flavors. And now there's a brand new flavor.
>>
>>63926218

If Revenge of the Sith had a better director, real sets, and Anakin's seduction hadn't been pants-on-head retarded; it could have been a better film.

The final duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan was such a travesty. The entire PT had been building up to that moment, and it ended up being the most embarassing twirlfest of the entire series.

I feel like they need to, at some point down the road, go back and re-do these movies.
>>
>>63926465
>I feel like they need to, at some point down the road, go back and re-do these movies.
>without Ewan McGregor
>without Ian McDiarmid
no
>>
File: 1431098157909.jpg (191 KB, 703x494) Image search: [Google]
1431098157909.jpg
191 KB, 703x494
>>
>>63925232
Slow down the saber sequences in TFA and it won't look like this, I guarantee it.
>>
>>63920414
No. I thought the prequels were bad and laughable but charming and enjoyable. TFA is just mediocre.
>>
>>63926619
OT and PT = 4chan

TFA = reddit
>>
MY ONLY THOUGHTS WHEN I WATCHED TFA:

WHERE IS THE SHEEV SPIN
WHERE IS THE GOOD MUSIC
WHERE IS THE COMPETENCY
>>
>>63926619
>>63926732

Reddit Films: TCW, ANH, ROTJ, TFA

4chan: TPM, ROTS, ESB

Dark side victories are the more rad ones, anon
>>
>>63926776

Maybe, but TFA is literally reddit:the movie
>>
I've always loved the prequels, they have great memes.
>>
>>63926649

the saber sequences in TFA look like garbage in any speed though
>>
>>63920414
nop PT are equally as campy all feel very childish to be honest Senpai.
>>
>>63920414
>Obi Wan being that small on the poster

One of the biggest mistakes of Phantom Menace. Shoud have been the protagonist.
>>
Nope, to me all 7 films are the same campy space fantasy bullshit.

Only autists, children and redditors would hyperventilate over such trivial shit.
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.