[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so i just re-watched the prequels and i have to say these actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 14
so i just re-watched the prequels and i have to say these actually get a lot of undeserved hate. you can tell there was love and craft put into these worlds. varied creatures, some of the most alien and beautiful worldbuilding i've ever seen. yeah the script is bad but holy shit these settings and designs are beautiful. these are a work of a man who cares deeply for star wars.

>phantom menace
character design - 10/10
world building - 10/10
plot - 7/10

>clone
character design - 9/10
world building - 10/10
plot - 5/10

>sith
character design - 10/10
world building - 10/10
plot - 7/10

i would rank them above TFA, below the OT.
>>
they were shit
fuck off
eat a dick
>>
>it's a prequel apologist bait thread
>>
>>63920254
I'm in the same situation. There are some great stories to tell (Anakin's plotline throughout 2 and 3, Obi-Wan's reluctance to accept the corruption of the Jedi, Sheev's manipulation) that could be god-tier in the hands of better writers.
>>
>>63920254
>these actually get a lot of undeserved hate

No shit, hating the prequels is a meme, the only reason people are so hypercritical of them is because It's Star Wars

That doesn't mean their good movies either; your ratings are fucking terrible
>>
>>63920275
>it's a damage control post

Hi, Disney!

Reminder that lots of people defended the prequels when they came out before "le prequels are bad" meme set in.

Millennial fags who didn't like Star Wars as kids may like your shitty movies, but the real fans who will sustain the franchise will see the light soon enough
>>
It's a shame that they were all done on the green screen and as a result looked really bloody fake.

For all its faults, at least The Force Awakens actually feels like a Star Wars movie. The only time the prequels felt like a Star Wars movie is when Obi Wan and Anakin stood on the banks after their fight.
>>
Very, very weak bait. The prequels were shit movies designed to sell toys and we all know it. Doesn't excuse TFA being marvelshit, but JJ only builds on what Lucas already established in more ways than one.
>>
>character design - 9/10

just out of curiosity, what made AotC character design a 9/10 and not 10/10
>>
>>63920334
Literally the only people who like the prequels are millennials born in the 90s who were too young to realise how shit they were when they came out.
>>
File: KitFisto-SithSnapshot.jpg (67 KB, 549x755) Image search: [Google]
KitFisto-SithSnapshot.jpg
67 KB, 549x755
>>63920359

kit fisto
>>
>>63920254
Completely agree 2bh f a m
>>
File: 1478445118425.jpg (22 KB, 450x240) Image search: [Google]
1478445118425.jpg
22 KB, 450x240
>somehow being physically higher than your opponent guarantees your ability to dismember him easily
>>
File: 1438034951189.jpg (21 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1438034951189.jpg
21 KB, 160x160
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK8kosNqKyw

How did you like this scene?
>>
>>63920483
>double entendre
>MORAL high ground
>>
>>63920495
>deleted
That said, I like it.
>>
File: minionpepe(superfunnyMEME).jpg (16 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
minionpepe(superfunnyMEME).jpg
16 KB, 320x320
>>63920572
What about this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXaDtAtpLPs
>>
>prequel is bad meme again
fuck off nigger fuckers, I'd take the prequel trilogy any day than that soulless BLACKED tumblr rehash #205 TFA.

p/s: you mom suck niggers cock
>>
>>63920609
Ehh, if it pisses you off I like it.

I LOVE the Jar Jar fart scene in Revenge of the Sith though.
It was a big fuck you from Lucas.
>>
>>63920690
FALSE FLAG
>>
>>63920691
he farted in rots?
>>
>>63920691

I bet you loved it when the bunny rabbit monster stepped in the poopy when you were 5 years old at the time Phantom Menace came out
>>
>>63920785
>5 years old
I was born in 1997
>>
Why don't they just do a special edition collection for the PT?
You know all the blue screen footage still exists.
Just use today's technology and render in better CGI.
They could even include deletes scenes that never made the film and call it "the director's cut."
>>
>>63920827
>born in 97
Same.
Did you see RoTS in theaters?
>>
>>63920872
Because they're fine the way they are.
>>
>>63920254
Watch the Plinkett review, and then realise how much of a mongoloid you are.
>>
>>63920912
Don't get me wrong, the CGI makes me warm inside.
I'm just saying they could do that and make staggering amounts of money.
>>
>>63920908
>might be trolling
Yeah RoTS is the only SW I saw in theaters when it came out.
It fucking blew me away. I really felt for Ki-Adi Mundi on the bridge.
I got chills during Padme's Ruminations.
>>
>>63920924
>I can't think for myself
Mike likes TFA, for fuck's sake.
>>
>>63920254
Oh no, how dare you have a different opinion from the tasteless manchildren at reddit letter media?
>>
>>63920972
Me too.
I remember being solidly pissed off because there was never going to be another one made.
Now I'm solidly pissed off because there was another one made.
>>
>>63920924
>b-but muh plinkett
RLM fanboys are worse than prequels
>>
>>63920924

>watch the people who like TFA tell you how to judge the objective worth of movies
>>
>>63921045
kek
well put
>>
I just don't get it.

I understand that all of 4chan is a hive for contrarian thought (and deservedly so because you're not attached to an identity and can say whatever you please, re:whatever isn't popular), but all of this praise for the PT trilogy out of the blue confuses me.

What you're doing right now is what people saying after a high school musical gone poorly. They don't want to make the kids performing feel like shit for saying how awful they are and instead praise the set and the intangibles not related to how the show progressed.

You can have all the "world building" you could ever possibly want, but if it goes into making a shit movie with characters you don't relate to or an incoherent mess of a plot, you still have a shit movie. Moving the metrics just to hide away from that fact isn't going to help you.

It's like when you see the feminist crowd reviewing a television show or a film. They don't give a shit about coherency in the plot, how well the individual actors did in their performances, or setting a real tone for the story to follow. They only care about how many cunts and fags you can have on screen at the same time and they'll weasel out some praise for it being "progressive, groundbreaking, and "struggling against the patriarchal order".

For fucks sake, these aren't good films. When Bioware could make a better plot than Lucas ever could, then we have issues here.
>>
>>63921316
They are not shit movies. They are very good movies that I enjoy the hell out of every time I watch them.
>>
>>63921316
>When Bioware could make a better plot than Lucas ever could
/v/eddit please
>>
>>63921316
Due to suspicious activity, this post has been flagged by NSA/GCHQ monitors as being in violation of U.S./U.K. law. All IP addresses in this thread have been logged and flagged for further review by an agent of the respective jurisdiction. Until further notice, you are required to report to the nearest police station for further interrogation.
VIOLATION:
USA PATRIOT ACT H. R. 3162, Title 2, Sec. 316
USA PATRIOT ACT H. R. 3162, Title 2, Sec. 318
USA PATRIOT ACT H. R. 3162, Title 2, Sec. 376
USA PATRIOT ACT H. R. 3162, Title 2, Sec. 802
USA PATRIOT ACT H. R. 3162, Title 2, Sec. 805
Any further posting in this thread will be considered a willful breach of law and violators will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
>>
>>63921316
>bioware
Fuck off /v/eddit, your opinion is discarded
>>
>>63921316
maybe you should pull your head out your arse
>>
>>63921316
Get off 4chan, dad.
>>
>>63920254
Eat a snickers George, you're delusional when you're hungry.
>>
>>63920275
you watched the plinkett reviews too?

im so smart now! upboat fellow redditor!
>>
>>63921316
>When Bioware could make a better plot than Lucas ever could, then we have issues here.
Lucas literally invented the movies that started it all. The fuck is are you talking about?

And it's not contrarian, i make fun of the prequels all the time, i love pointing out and laughing at all the dumb shit Lucas did. I still like them despite all their flaws. And even if i thought they were shit that wouldn't make me praise that cheap shallow unoriginal flick that is the TFA. And by unoriginal I'm not only talking about the plot that's literally taken from the prequels, I'm talking about how the entire thing feels like every other big action blockbuster movie out there.
>>
File: 12313325367.jpg (91 KB, 382x528) Image search: [Google]
12313325367.jpg
91 KB, 382x528
>>63921345
>They are not shit movies. They are very good movies
>>
>>63921386

So give me reasons as to why KotOR isn't better? I get that the dynamic of a game is far different from a film, but I enjoyed taking in the setting of the Old Republic, learning more about Revan through our actions rather than having Samuel L. Jackson talk about it in a fake room (even if it was a cop out amnesia plot that we'll probably see in VIII and IX), and having a villain whose actions made sense. It doesn't add up.

>>63921345
Continue to enjoy them, but don't set them up like they're better than TFA as a whole when it can't be defended. I get it: A girl is the protagonist and a nigger is a main character because of diversity. But at least the nigger and the girl, along with Poe, Leia, Ren, Hux, and everyone else works well together. There's no Qui Gon acting like a retard or Anakin being a whiny bitch throughout three films. If you're there for the spectacle, just say so, rather than deluding yourself into thinking these are phenomenal movies.
>>
They fucking sucked ass and you know it.

You can't defend them. They're pieces of shit.
>>
You can't defend these films without going

>MUH PLINKETT
>H-H-Hi DISNEY!!!!!

Fuck off with these awful threads. The prequels fucking sucked.
>>
>>63921830
sup reddit
>>
>>63921830
Both of those are valid reasons though.
I think you should fellate a gun 2 b h
>>
>>63921721
>but don't set them up like they're better than TFA as a whole when it can't be defended
They are. TFA is a cheap unoriginal copy of every other action blockbuster out there. It's avengers with lightsabers. It's shit.

At least the prequels feel like star wars, TFA feels, as i said, like every other action movie to be released in recent years.
>I get it: A girl is the protagonist and a nigger is a main character because of diversity
yes, i know that's the only reason you're defending it.
>>
You can hate the prequels and the new movie. Stop giving the prequels undeserved praise. There wasnt any love in them. Just look at how episode 3 had nearly no on set locations
>>
>>63921609

We've all watched them, but I grew up with the prequels. Fuck, I remember being hyped as shit when I was 7 when Episode II came out. I was wearing a Jango Fett shirt and ended up throwing up the day afterwards because I spent the day eating junk food and playing Bounty Hunter afterwards and it was worth it.

They're amusing for the spectacle, but not much else. I want to have a back and forth about this, but all I've heard is "The prequels were good!" and "Go back to plebbit". I should know better than this. I've wasted 6 years of my life on this shithole.

I think I've learned my lesson. Shit isn't going to normalize around here until about a month from now. I'll be back then and just shitpost in the meantime with the rest of you.
>>
>>63921937
>practical effects=love
'no'
Go home JJ.
>>
>>63921984
Shut up you retarded nigger.
>>
>>63921937
>Just look at how episode 3 had nearly no on set locations
"A special effect is a tool, a means of telling a story. A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing"
>>
>>63921721
>So give me reasons as to why KotOR isn't better?

Kotor is like 30 hours long RPG. Prequels are 2 hours long movies. It's like saying a book is better than a movie adaptation, really.
>>
>>63921984
>he hasnt seen the webm of george wanting to make Dooku a computer character because itll be easier to shoot

Go home George.
>>
>>63922048
People misrepresent Lucas with this quote.
It still applies to the prequels.
He used cutting edge tech to create environments and have characters do things that could not be created practically.
>>
>>63921875

How? What do we know about the Republic aside from it's government being bloated because it's huge? What do the Jedi do? Why can't they be normal people with family relationships? Why are the CIS seceding from the Republic? Are all of those chink aliens so pissed at the gov't because they want to make more money or because they have actual grievances against the order? Why is Naboo so fucking important, isn't it just some shitty forest planet that the republic has thousands more of in the galaxy? Why not just send the Republic fleet in to show some muscle in what must be a core planet unless the CIS wants war immediately like idiots?

And lets not get started on the rest of the prequels. There are serious issues with the dramatic structure of these movies. Why George didn't just make them them Obi Wan and Anakin having rad space adventures, I'll never know.
>>
>>63922093
easier=/=worse
try harder
>>
HAHAHAHA
>>
>>63921721
>So give me reasons as to why KotOR isn't better?
Because it's the plot of episode 4. JJ already made it for you.

JJ really knows what a bunch of dumbshits his target audience is, he can sell them shit and they will thank him for it.
>>
>>63922108
In other words he used a tool to tell the story the way he wanted it. You're the one saying the reason 7 is better than the prequels is the effects.

>>63922135
All your complaints apply even more to the OT.
>>
>>63922243
>you're the one
I'm not that guy
>>
>>63920254
>these are a work of a man who cares deeply for star wars.
>Naboo is a city of 20 pilots or so and few bureaucrats
>Sitting in a chair, drinking coffee
>A camera and B camera are rolling, action
>characters sitting on a couch
>In front of a greenscreen
>characters talking
>A and B camera
>Sitting in his chair
>characters walking and talking to a couch
>Sand
>Jorje in his chair
>>
>you will never wreck revenge of the sith anakin's boipussy
>>
>>63922299
>TFA
>the entire universe is 10 people who keep bumping into each other no matter where they go in this vast expansive universe
>every sentence they say is a quip
>lens flares
>>
>>63920254
>ironically liking the prequels

stay contrarian 4chan.
>>
>>63920254
the dialogue is absolutely unbearable, and they're boring as shit
>>
>>63922165

I was speaking about the prequels or anything that George made without direct criticism and a check to his autuer bullshit. Prequels a shit, December 17th best day of my life.

>>63922243
How do they apply, then? The rebels should be in hiding because the empire is gonna wreck their shit. Obi Wan living an unassuming life on Tatooine after going through a shitty war where his best friend betrayed him and his cause makes sense. Then we just have the normal hero's journey from there, and that's okay. Don't reinvent the wheel if you don't have to.
>>
>>63922380
>hating on a movie must be a universally accepted thing
>even though you loved it when you were a kid you have to hate it now because red letter media told you so and you aren't a "le star wars nerd^tm" if you don't

Why do people think this way? Are you even able to form your own opinion on things or do you always rely on others?
>>
>>63922135
>Why can't they be normal people with family relationships?

Jedi are taken at young ages during the PT time period in order to more properly mold them. Their attachments are to be the Order and defending the Republic for the good of all.

>Why are the CIS seceding from the Republic? Are all of those chink aliens so pissed at the gov't because they want to make more money or because they have actual grievances against the order?

The CIS were mostly made up of the larger intergalactic corporations who were pissed off at the Republic for taxing them unfairly cause "muh free market". This is explored more in other supplemental materials, but the root of the conflict was business. In Episode 1, the Trade Federation is blocking Naboo at the behest of Sidious as a form of protest against the taxation of trade routes.

>Why is Naboo so fucking important, isn't it just some shitty forest planet that the republic has thousands more of in the galaxy?

Naboo was a peaceful planet with no army of its own. And considering that Sheev, of the thousands of Senators and representatives in the Senate, was one of three choices for Chancellor to succeed Valorum, we can safely say that Sheev at least had enough popularity as a Senator for people to want to vote for him. This suggests that Naboo was chosen precisely because of its association to Palpatine. The longer the conflict was dragged out against the peaceful, innocent world of Naboo from which Sheev hailed, the more his popularity would rise, drawing from the support and connections he already had and from distrust and hate of the Trade Fed chinks.

>Why not just send the Republic fleet in to show some muscle in what must be a core planet unless the CIS wants war immediately like idiots?

The Republic didn't really have an army. For awhile, the Republic functioned well enough with each system sufficing with its own military forces or by relying on the Jedi Order.
>>
>>63922380
it's not contrarian to acknowledge the value that George Lucas provided to his fans by focusing the PT on the politics of his world.

I'm sorry that you're butthurt the prequels have proven to be much more original and in-depth than TFA, but that's objectively the case here.

The prequels objectively surpass TFA in terms of originality and world building, and they're going to age very well.
>>
>>63922501
>How do they apply, then?
How? What do we know about the Empire aside from that it's evil? What do the rebels/empire do? Why are the rebels rebelling? etc etc.

Cognitive dissonance. Lets be honest, you hate the prequels because it's the popular thing to do.
>>
>it's a we pretend the prequels weren't shit tread
people are actually taking the b8
>>
>>63922363

>Prequels
>Multiple poop jokes
>Meaningless fights between robots and clones
>Jedi with precognition that don't see the issue of letting an angry teenager be lead around by a power hungry politician with dictatorial control over the gov't
>Shitty cuts and washes made in Movie Maker
>>
>>63922380

They were good though. I've always said that. Not even close to the OT, but good.

TFA on the other hand is a steaming pile of shit.
>>
>>63922631
Still better than TFA.
>>
>>63922576

I dislike them because they're bad movies that have become the hot thing to defend on here because of the contrarian nature of this site. This wasn't the case a month out and I'm just confused as to how people can defend these films over ones that are legitimately better in ever metric.
>>
>>63922576

That reminds me, the original cut of Star Wars actually was supposed to have more info about why people didn't like the Empire in the dialogue between Luke and Biggs.

But yeah, in the final cut of the actual films, not much information is given about the empire besides "they're evil and they have British accents" it was left to the Expanded Universe and the PT to deal with the finer points of why people didn't want to be part of the Empire. All you had to know to enjoy the OT was that the Empire was on the side of the Darkside and was willing to blow up entire innocent planets just to consolidate its power.
>>
>>63921875
>At least the prequels feel like star wars
It's time to kill yourself

JUMP FAGGOT

JUMP
>>
>>63922699
>can defend these films over ones that are legitimately better in ever metric

It comes down to the fidelity of the world in terms of the lore-building Lucas provided in each prequel, as well as the complexities of the galaxy's politics.

OT did absolutely nothing to move the world forward, just like TFA. They're petty tales that don't really go any where.

The prequels provide superior world building and took a lot of risks in terms of science-fantasy.

TFA is a shameless rehash cash grab with literally worse characters than anything featured in the PT.
>>
ITT the truth comes out, all of the people who like the prequels were born in the late 90s'.
>>
>>63922699
Oh, so because we make fun of the prequels that has wired your herd/follower brain to hate them and now you're confused when we say that they are better than TFA.
>>
>>63922863

I've seen several posters saying the prequels are better than TFA who say they were born before the 90's.

Fuck off.
>>
hating the prequels is as reddit as it gets
>>
>>63922775
God you redditors are retarded. I swear you people have an average IQ of 40.
>>
>>63922093
>during the fight with Yoda

Which they kind of did (partially) anyway, cause Christopher Lee could barely walk, let alone participate in a fight with a green gnome.
>>
>>63922863
What do you mean? the prequels came out in 1999. The truth is TFA fans are idiots.
>>
>>63922135
>Why can't they be normal people with family relationships?

Cause the one time it happens, the whole thing topples over.
Anakin could've easily quit the Jedi Order and fuck off to Naboo with Padme. He just wanted to have it all and sit on two chairs.
>>
>character design

Explain them to someone without saying what their profession or role in the movie was. Describe them to someone who's never seen star wars.
>>
File: large.gif (814 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
large.gif
814 KB, 500x281
>>63920266
The battle scenes were fucking amazing. There was a huge battle in EACH movie. Hell, there were several in Revenge of the Sith.

The only bad thinks in the prequels were Hayden's whiny acting, Jar Jar Binks (and he was pretty much cut out from the other two prequel movies), and the stoic nature of the protagonists without any real humor.

The plot made sense and the political exposition was fine in order to world build. At the end of the day the prequels were at least original while JJ burned the entire fucking EU to remake A New Hope.

Fuck JJ. Fuck Disney. The EU is canon to me and while I could live with the prequels, I can't live with an Episode 7 that destroyed all the characters I grew to fucking love to not even tell an original fucking story.

It seems I'm in the minority.

>>63920351
Yeah, too much green screen when it was unnecessary. Big issue, but not fucking movie breaking.

>>63920358
And TFA isn't? At least the prequels were original.

>>63920383
Literally the only people who like TFA are people who haven't seen A New Hope.
>>
These threads are nothing but bait you dumb fucks. Notice how there's no actual justification for why he likes it, just arbitrary numbers that mean nothing
>>
>>63922957
The point is they were fucking toddlers and fetuses when the new movies came out and probably saw them first, their autism latched on to them and they're probably forever cursed with shit taste thanks to Lucas.

TFA was generic disneyshit but the prequels were ass. Sheev is the only character at all that has any fucking semblance of passion in the whole trilogy. Prequelfags here are just trying to 'one up' the 10 year old children who's first SW movie will be TFA by arguing that the prequels were actually 'more star wars', lmao.

Everything but the OT is shit and anyone with taste knows this. The universe has some interesting stories within it but these mostly come in books, comics and video games (most of which are also garbage).

>>63922897
There are multitudes of good reasons that people hated the prequels, if you were old enough to see them in theaters you'd understand.
>>
>>63920254
>i would rank them above TFA, below the OT.

3 > 1 > 5 > 6 > 4 > 7 > 2

I order them completely subjectively as "which movie would I want to watch most"

_Episode 3_ is my favorite. It has some of the best action and I love anakin's fall to the dark side. The lightsaber fight at the end is quite cool as well the the emperor getting his face burned off.

_Episode 1_ almost ties with 3 for first place. This movie has some fantastic music and battle scenes. I cgi was good for it's time. This movie contains the best lightsaber fight of all the movies.

I also like the worlds featured, especially lovely naboo and gugan city.

I also liked the jar jar character. He was kind of a loveable idiot. Only autists don't like him because he reminds them of themselves too much.

_Episode 5_ is probably the most re-watchable of the original trilogy. I enjoy everything about this movie, from start to finish as do most others so there's not much to say here. The things that stand out most are hoth battle and learning about the force through yoda.

_Episode 6_ this movie has a couple of boring parts however the battle between the emperor vader and luke at the end are one of the most powerful moments in the OT. I cry every time.

_Episode 4_ The original movie. I fucking LOVE the sets and costumes. Dirty space planet, with dirty space costumes. Such an oldschool adventure film. I do find some of the dialog a bit cheesy and the movie is overall a bit boring. Whenever I re-watch it I find myself daydreaming and not actually following.

_Episode 7_ Even thought it's supposed to mirror 4 I find it to have a completely opposite pace. Episode 4 has so little going on I find myself getting bored. Episode 7 tries to cram so many details in I couldn't follow it the first time through. Upon watching it again it still feels like a jumbled mess. Not saying I don't like it but ugh. I love the Kylo Character but not evil/strong enough.
>>
>>63922870

No, I would assume that you could see why TFA is better than any of the prequels or even RotJ based upon your ability to analyze a movie.

If we're gonna get into a herd mentality here, your hive mind hates anything normie. As such, you'll hold onto the prequels because you grew up with them. You played the games, you bought the lightsabers to beat the shit out of your friends with, and everything else that goes with it.

Now that normies care about Star Wars again, you feel threatened because your space fantasy isn't some special club that most people don't pay much mind towards. As such, you'll start looking at the new film as a threat to your authenticity. To protect it, you'll go out of your way to defend ridiculous things to show just how big a fan you are. Now you support the prequels on a chinese cartoon board.

You're basically a radical muslim pissed off that Saudi Arabia would rather deal with the US, rather than your raggedy, sand nigger ass. Now they only thing you can do is commit explosive sudoku against the fandom you belong to.
>>
>>63922363
I was looking for the JJ Abrams Lens Flare effect.

Was not fucking disappointed.
>>
>>63923168
No, we were kids and teens and we watched the OT first and then the prequels in the cinema.

Either way all you're doing is justifying your disbelief that someone could possibly not follow the herd mentality. You're pretty much a SJW.
>>
>>63923193
Well, at least you put one of them in the right place.
>>
>>63922403

There are plenty of action sequences in the prequel movies.
>>
>>63923235
>You're pretty much a SJW.

Wasn't TFA made for them with their "lel, I'm not such a nerd. prequels are the wurst movies ever created and gungans are rayycist." attitude?
>>
>>63920254

The first and second is shit because Jar-Jar is in it and because Anakin acted like an annoying, rude and spoiled brat all the time. Do not understand how someone can fall in love in him. I would understand if he acted like a "badass" but he legitimately just acted like a whiny brat.
>>
>>63923320
Pretty much yeah, i guess it explains why they're religiously defending it. If you criticize TFA they want to fucking castrate you.

You can't even enjoy movies with these people around, they can't not ruin everything they touch.
>>
File: Clipboard01.jpg (46 KB, 1089x590) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.jpg
46 KB, 1089x590
>>63920495
>that top
barely any tits but still rape worthy
>>
>>63922792

How does this "world building" help make a better movie?

If I wanted to deal with politics, I'd go watch C-SPAN or read up on what my local representatives were voting on. If I wanted to watch Star Wars, I wanna see space battles, aliens, and the occasional Jedi doing cool force shit.

We get no insight into the actions of the senate, we never get to understand the Jedi beyond stealing children to indoctrinate and holding onto power they don't deserve, and everyone just kind of acts like a bunch of stupid cunts that willingly give up their power because a bunch of space chinks are blowing up shit tier outer rim worlds. Fuck, the space battle over Couruscant didn't even scathe the surface beyond that air traffic tower that Sheev, Anakin, and Obi Wan destroyed. Why would they give a shit about it?

World building doesn't mean shit if it doesn't impact the plot in any meaningful way. Just put Obi Wan and an adult Anakin in space having sweet adventures. That's all the prequels needed to be. George fucking blew it. That's okay to admit and it won't hurt your e-penis to say so.
>>
>>63923444
You want to le turn off ur brain an hav funn
>>
>>63923512

Thank Jesus someone else is calling out this bullshit.

Seriously, what can you make of this? Is this just some conceited effort by a bunch of nerds to protect their star wars authenticity or are we just dealing with a bunch of shitposters because TFA is the biggest movie of the year?
>>
>>63920254
Strawpoll.me/6306008/

PREQUELS NEED VOTES
>>
>>63923674
Did you post this on Reddit already?
>>
>>63923444
>George fucking blew it. That's okay to admit and it won't hurt your e-penis to say so.

No he didn't. I liked the movies and so did plenty of other people. They also build a world/universe full of interesting ideas and aliens that lead to the development of countless video games, comic books and novel. Not to mention characters and aliens for people to identify with and role play both inside and outside of the home.

George succeeded greatly, even if you think the prequels sucked which, spoiler alert they didn't

You're just being some edge lord because HURR DURR I'm so cool because I didn't like them and everyone on reddit thinks I'm cool because of it.

Don't like the movies? don't watch them. Problem solved.

Fucking faggot.
>>
>>63923512
>>63923638
Name one bit of prequel worldbuilding that wasn't touched upon in the OT or rendered irrelevant by sheev being behind it.
>>
>>63923767
The entire prequel trilogy made less money than star wars did by itself.

This should be a clear indication that prequel hate isn't contrarian in nature. It is, in fact, the standard.
>>
File: 1448009255022.jpg (27 KB, 327x308) Image search: [Google]
1448009255022.jpg
27 KB, 327x308
>Watch Phantom Menace
>Know who the fuck everyone is and what is going on
>Know exactly who the players are on both sides and that there is a looming threat on the horizon

>Force Awakens
>Who the fuck are the First Order? Are they the entirety of the old Empire, or just a splinter of fanatics?
>Why the fuck is there a Resistance when the Rebels won and the Republic is back in power?
>Why was the major nemesis for the series beaten by a girl literally the first time she picks up a saber? If he's that weak, then what threat is he going to pose in the next episode?
>Luke Skywalker at the end... Oh... Ok...

The prequels at least had a direction they were following. You knew war was on the horizon and the Jedi were starting to fail in their duty.

What the fuck is going to even happen in episode 8? Why should anyone even bother to go see it? There's no cliff hanger ending or reason for there to even be a movie.

>They could have literally ended the entire new trilogy on Rey offering Luke the saber, and the credits rolling
>It would leave the ending open to interpretation, but a fuck tonne of movies do that now

Literally the shittest 1st of a planned trilogy I've ever seen.
>>
>>63920254
Careful dude. Remember you're not a true fanboy till you shit on the Prequel Trilogy and say how awful it is while consistently praising how genius The Force Awakens aka New Hope 2.0 is.
>>
>>63923774
>Name one bit of prequel worldbuilding that wasn't touched upon in the OT
What kind of a condition is that? The whole point of the worldbuilding is to expand the star wars universe.
>>
>>63923902
The point is anything that was mentioned or touched upon by the OT, that is in the prequels, is not an expansion of the franchise.
>>
>>63923193
>Episode V
> The things that stand out most are hoth battle and learning about the force through yoda.

But you fucker loved the fucking Gungan battle against the fucking droids and all the bla bla bla of episode I politics. Fuck you.
>>
>>63923638
>Seriously, what can you make of this?
Some faggots from other boards and from reddit are invading /tv/ with their SJW herd mentality specifically for starwars because they are le total star wars nerdsXXDDD
>>
>>63923874

You'll earn less money in your lifetime that Harrison ford made made in the Force Awakens.

This should be a clear indication that hating you isn't contrarian in nature. It is, in fact, the standard.
>>
>>63923975
>anyone who doesn't like what I like is person i don't like

Son, this is the autisms speaking. Come back to us, we love you.
>>
>>63923116
>The battle scenes were fucking amazing. There was a huge battle in EACH movie. Hell, there were several in Revenge of the Sith.

The battle scenes were shit. No gravitas, just spinning jump flips.
>>
>>63923986
So you have no counter argument.
>>
>>63920254
They aren't as terrible as everyone says but they are not good movies at all. TFA was actually good.
>>
>>63923941
Yes it is. It is expanding the universe set up in the OT. We only get brief mentions of them in the OT and now we see them fully fleshed out in the prequels. Grand cities and temples, the jedi council, cool unique new planets, jedi in their prime as galactic peacekeepers, etc. etc.
>>
>>63924001
They donkey is telling me i have big ears. Cute.
>>
>>63920254
This is bait, right? ...right? Guys?
>>
>>63924063
>and now we see them fully fleshed out

Everything that was touched upon by the OT that was present in the prequels, was present in the simplest form possible. There wasn't any fleshing out, it was just pedantic reiteration.
>>
>>63923116
>the battle scenes were amazing

I know right, every shot was just so dense, there was just so much going on in each shot.

:^)
>>
>>63924106
That is quite possibly the most autistic reply you could have made.
>>
>>63920254
I don't if you're just trolling but honestly I have to fucking admit you're right. Always thought that. I didn't like the first prequels, but the other 2 makes my dick diamonds everytime
>>
>>63924001

The only autism I see is turning a blind eye to the shit show that is the prequels because you grew up with it.
>>
Even as a kid you could tell the prequels were bad

>B-BUT THE LE EBIN D-DUELS!

They were shit
>>
>>63924050

>TFA was actually good.

If you like Marvelshit with lightsabers.
>>
>>63924050

TFA was mediocre.

Sometimes, it is better to make a bad film with redeeming qualities than a film that is mediocre in every aspect.
>>
>>63924196
Too dumb to understand the analogy? It's ok you're only a SJW.
>>
>>63923303
i wasn't a fan of the lightsaber duels in the prequels. they looked like a gay ballet dance with too much twirling and flipping.
>>
>>63923876
You seem to be a very confused person.

>Who the fuck are the First Order? Are they the entirety of the old Empire, or just a splinter of fanatics?
There is no more old Empire. The galaxy was fractured into several factions after the Empire fell.

>Why the fuck is there a Resistance when the Rebels won and the Republic is back in power?
Back in power in one or two systems, they are just a faction among many from the looks of things. However you come close to making a good point here and that is why does the Republic bother secretly funding the rebels, why not openly declare war on the First Order?

>Why was the major nemesis for the series beaten by a girl literally the first time she picks up a saber?
He was injured pretty badly and that girl has had his fair share of martial experience from her time living on Jakku. I liked Kylo Ren, they are building him up.
Part of the fun of movies is figuring out things for yourself, but I do agree that some more exposition would have been nice.

>The prequels at least had a direction they were following.
What direction was this?

>the Jedi were starting to fail in their duty
The Jedi failed in their duty from the first scene. They have no idea what is going on and their force powers are useless for anything other than combat.

>What the fuck is going to even happen in episode 8?
Snoke training Kylo, Luke training Rey, both sides vying for power, there's a lot of room for development for everyone.
>>
>>63924313
what redeeming qualities did the prequels have exactly? The only thing i like about them was Obi Wan. I think Ewan Mcgregor did a great job for that steaming pile of shit he had to work with.
>>
>>63924292
what the fuck are you talking about. whats marvelshit. can one of you fucks who keeps saying this didn't feel like star wars explain what you think star wars is supposed to feel like.
>>
File: 897987.jpg (9 KB, 78x95) Image search: [Google]
897987.jpg
9 KB, 78x95
>>63920495
>Anakin smiling coyly at Paddys father
Think they are playing footsie under the table?
>>
File: 1379591982388.jpg (20 KB, 360x261) Image search: [Google]
1379591982388.jpg
20 KB, 360x261
>>63923193
>I also liked the jar jar character. He was kind of a loveable idiot. Only autists don't like him because he reminds them of themselves too much.
>>
>>63924497
Worldbuilding, story, atmosphere, lightsaber duels, political intrigue, tragedy. They had an immersive, epic feel about them, TFA is just lacking, it feels like any other capeshit movie out there. Like I'm watching guardians of the galaxy with lighsabers. It feels shallow. Like there is nothing there beyond the constant action and constant quips.
>>
File: 1450070967331.png (273 KB, 531x585) Image search: [Google]
1450070967331.png
273 KB, 531x585
>>63924456
>TFA just redid "Empire vs Rebels" but changed the names and just a tiny bit of context to make it seem like things are different.

At least the EU had Thrawn and Sheev clones

>What direction was this?

I think he's talking about how the prequels at least seem to have an endgoal in mind, which in this case is the fall of Anakin Skywalker and the rise of the Empire from the carcass of a dead Republic.

>The Jedi failed in their duty from the first scene. They have no idea what is going on and their force powers are useless for anything other than combat.

The Jedi were basically the volunteer police force of the Republic, combat is part of the job.
>>
>>63924254

I think the prequels are bad but I for one actually liked the ebin battles. It was like space kung fu with laser swords. It was pleasing to watch for me.
>>
>>63924544
>whats marvelshit

formulaic shit pandering to SJW's.

>can one of you fucks who keeps saying this didn't feel like star wars explain what you think star wars is supposed to feel like.

It's supposed to feel like Episodes 1-6. This movie fits in less with the saga than the prequels fit in with the OT and it does this while aping the plot of ANH.
>>
>>63924667
>I think he's talking about how the prequels at least seem to have an endgoal in mind

New Hope had as much of an end goal as TFA, yet we got two more fun movies out of it. I don't see the end goal of his argument.

>The Jedi were basically the volunteer police force of the Republic
And that's all they were. Kind of weak stuff.
>>
>>63924796
How is TFA pandering to SJW's. Theres a black guy and a woman protagonist but thats about it.
>>
>>63922506
>>even though you loved it when you were a kid
>kid

There's your problem dipshit. Not everyone was a freshly failed abortion like you when they saw TPM.

>The "Only autistic Star Wars fans hate the prequels" meme

I only like a new hope and empire, I couldn't care less about this series. Just face it, the prequels were BAD FILMS. Not bad Star Wars films, BAD FILMS.

They are terribly written, badly acted, horribly paced, horrid looking and to top it off: boring sacks of complete shit with nothing to redeem them. Every person above the I know hates these films except for my retarded four year old nephew.
>>
I like em
>>
>>63924685

when you are having a sword fight with someone with the intent to incapacitate your opponent you are generally trying to hit your opponent not his weapon.

none of the prequel fights made it seem like they were doing anything other than the shitty lightsaber fan duels they inspired and caused. Just a lot of glowstick tapping and nothing hinting at striking an opponent down until the scene demands or the fight ends.

There's no fucking tension. If you thought the worst duel was the one with Obi-Wan and Vader in A New Hope you are a fucking pleb.
>>
>>63924796
>formulaic shit pandering to SJW's.

if Rey was changed to a white male what changes about her character?
>>
>>63924917

It was the worst duel choreographically.
>>
>>63924911
>There's your problem dipshit. Not everyone was a freshly failed abortion like you when they saw TPM.
So how old are you then? I'm 23. I bet you're younger than me.

>
I only like a new hope and empire, I couldn't care less about this series. Just face it, the prequels were BAD FILMS. Not bad Star Wars films, BAD FILMS.
maybe, but they were better than TFA.
>>
>>63924664
I disagree with just about everything you said except maybe the world building part. they did a good job on that. I was not at all a fan of the story and the lightsaber fights seemed like a showy dance routine instead of a practical way someone would fight.
>>
>>63924968

Actually nevermind, just rewatched it. It's fine really. Looks kind of like fencing, which is cool.
>>
>>63924968

>MUH CHOREOGRAPHY

that wasn't the point of the battle. A New Hope did more in 5 minutes to explain anakin and obi-wan's relationship than Revenge Of The Sith did in almost an hour.
>>
>>63925055
The brainless RLM drone strikes again.
>>
>>63924851
>New Hope had as much of an end goal as TFA, yet we got two more fun movies out of it. I don't see the end goal of his argument.

New Hope was a standalone film while still leaving room for the continuation of the Saga.

TFA's real quality will be dependent on the quality of the next movie much in the same way The Hobbit's quality was determined by the following entries.

Plus, the prequels had a sense of purpose. Why exactly does Episode VII exist? Does anyone really care about anything happening in it? Do the people who watch it feel like there a point to anything they saw?

I can't answer these questions cause I haven't fucking seen this shit for myself yet. But I think if someone says the prequels had more "direction" than TFA, they probably mean there's just more purpose to them or a more focused sense of what the movie(s) is actually about.
>>
>>63924796
Does the protagonist have to be a white male for you to identify with them? The only thing i thought was pandering to SJWs was Captain Phasma being a woman for some reason when the character would be much more badass as a man, but the character was shit anyway and didn't really do anything so it didn't matter.
>>
>>63925055
>A New Hope did more in 5 minutes to explain anakin and obi-wan's relationship than Revenge Of The Sith did in almost an hour.

Except for the fact that if you just watched A New Hope and nothing else, Darth Vader and Luke's father are two different people.
>>
>>63925158
this

>>63925055
kill yourself
>>
>>63925133

>blasts TFA
>goes on to say he didn't see it
>>
>>63925228

I'm blasting the plot itself and which you cannot deny is basically a repeat of ANH's plot. I can't say anything about the execution of said plot in terms of the acting or what else the movie promises for the future installments.
>>
>>63925296

Also, I don't feel an episode VII needed to exist at all regardless. There is no reason to even go see this movie.
>>
>>63925133
>TFA's real quality will be dependent on the quality of the next movie much in the same way The Hobbit's quality was determined by the following entries.

I don't understand this reasoning, a movie has to be well made and fun to watch on it's own regardless the quality of the sequels. The first Hobbit for the most part sucked and if the next two would have been better it would not have changed the suckness. TFA stands on it's own while leaving room for further adventures.

>Why exactly does Episode VII exist?
To continue the story?
They did a pretty good job of it.
>>
>>63924878
>>63924965
>>63925155
Idiots.

He's generally speaking about all the major action blockbusters following a specific formula and basically being carbon copies of each other and pandering to the moronic reddit audience. Quips, pop culture, diversity, etc. being common themes. They are the justin beiber of the film industry.
>>
>>63924917
>when you are having a sword fight with someone with the intent to incapacitate your opponent you are generally trying to hit your opponent not his weapon.

Trying for your every blow to be a kill is gonna get you killed.
Also, do you have a problem with every sword fight in the history of movie-making, cause 99% of blows are at the opponents weapon in those as well? Includin the precious original trilogy. They're actors, they're not actually trying to cave each others skulls.
>>
>>63925296
>>63925338

>MUH CRITICISM
>DON'T EVEN NEED TO SEE THE MOVIE

So you'd rather go on the word of a bunch of pedophiles and shitposters rather than formulate your own opinion?

Sheeit, and I was getting told that I fell into herd mentality for liking TFA. Nigga, you got problems.
>>
File: TheGifThatMoves.gif (17 KB, 383x317) Image search: [Google]
TheGifThatMoves.gif
17 KB, 383x317
>>63921386
>>63921437
>>63921440
>>63921468
>All these buttblasted replies
It fells good when someone burst your delusion bubble.
>>
>>63925364
>I don't understand this reasoning, a movie has to be well made and fun to watch on it's own regardless the quality of the sequels. The first Hobbit for the most part sucked and if the next two would have been better it would not have changed the suckness. TFA stands on it's own while leaving room for further adventures.

No, that's not how it works because the way the The Hobbit movies were structured, they were each more like a single movie. This was the same problem with Matrix Reloaded and Revolution which are basically one movie. Imagine you have a book divided into twenty chapters, the first ten chapters read well and seem to give hope for the rest of the book but the last ten chapters suck and basically make everything the other ten chapters were leading to was for naught. You can't just tear out the last ten chapters and forever enjoy the first ten chapters forever without pretending the last tend chapters don't exist and filling in the rest of the story with your own head canon. You're only enjoying half of the full story.

One thing each Star Wars film had to their credit, including the prequels, is that each was a fairly tight story in their own right. When you end your movie on a cliffhanger with the intention of the next film continuing right from that point, you're basically telling the audience that they've only seen the first half of a single really long movie. People can enjoy the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and any one of the entries of the Star Wars saga as stand alone flicks (to a degree). I thought Matrix Reloaded was better than Revolutions, but I can't watch Reloaded without thinking "wow, it would have been nice if they went somewhere different with that"

>To continue the story?

A story that had already been told and which Disney had to erase just to make this movie I might add.
>>
>>63925433
well what do you expect from a star wars film m8. if you dont like movies that appeal to the mainstream dont watch star wars.
>>
File: 1450301325750.jpg (140 KB, 685x642) Image search: [Google]
1450301325750.jpg
140 KB, 685x642
>>63920254
who fucking cares?
>>
>>63925695
>A story that had already been told and which Disney had to erase

What story is that?

>When you end your movie on a cliffhanger with the intention of the next film continuing right from that point, you're basically telling the audience that they've only seen the first half of a single really long movie.

And how did the prequels not end with a cliffhanger, or LOTR for that matter, or Empire Strikes Back.

Your obsession with the completeness of the story is kind of odd to me, enjoy something for what it is. You can like one part of something and not the other.
>>
>>63923638
>>63923512
No, you want to turn off your brain.

In any form of fiction, world building isn't supposed to tell you everything like a fucking encyclopedia. Authors call it purple prose. You're supposed to show, not tell.

The Clone Wars did a lot better job of world building through character interaction (not just main characters) and put them in situations to see the Star Wars universe's mechanisms. The prequels had a lot of exposition and characters talking and describing the world, telling instead of showing. This holds down the plot, characterization, and pacing. The world also feels like a painting or a description from a history book rather than alive.
>>
>shitty b8 cancer meme
>>
>>63926110

I think we're trying to describe the experience of intentionally shutting down our critical lens while watching a film to just take it in as a big, dumb spectacle rather than being immersed into the plot as you described.

Sure, any movie can be good if you turn off your mind and pretend like there are no issues with it. But when there are glaring issues with your project, they have to be brought out to the forefront.
>>
>>63926297
But the prequels were not better in world building at all, as the people I quoted claimed. Characters constantly explained the world in dialogue. That is fanfiction tier amateur writing.
>>
>>63925502

>So you'd rather go on the word of a bunch of pedophiles and shitposters rather than formulate your own opinion?

I am going to see the movie. I said absolutely nothing about the quality of movie at all. All I said was that the movie doesn't have any real reason to exist nor is there much incentive for me to go see it beyond my being a Star Wars fan who has to force himself to go watch it. I was simply commenting that the whole setup of the First Order and the Resistance sounds like it's just a winding back of the clock based on everything I know about the plot. That has nothing to do with criticizing the quality of the execution, which I cannot comment on.
>>
>>63926480

We know. And that's one of the issues I brought up way earlier in this thread. It's something that I can't ignore and breaks my potential to immerse myself into the story.

I can tell when they're walking in a warehouse doing shot reverse shot. That's a big fucking problem with the prequels. Nothing of note happens. It's like a bad opera where it just goes aria to recitative constantly. We've moved on from that.
>>
>>63924118
It's now so common to hate the prequels here it's contrarian to like them.

Contrianism is the ONLY constant on 4chan.
>>
>>63920254
Wow this thread is so original and sincere, it's only been posted five times everyday for the last two weeks
>>
>>63925933
>What story is that?

The story of Luke, Han and Leia after ROTJ and the building of the New Republic and the Imperial Remnant forces.

Thrawn Trilogy, Dark Empire, Black Fleet Crisis, By the Emperor's Hand, Union, Young/Junior Jedi Knights, New Jedi Order, Legacy of the Force, Fate of the Jedi, Star Wars Legacy. Disney wiped them all out and more just to have room to make whatever movie they wanted. The only reason I can think of to go see this movie is to see how Disney does the Post-RotJ period differently, but so far I haven't been given much reason to rush to the theater to see it. But the thing about the EU material is that they were always side stories you could ignore. They were never "episodes" in the main saga and there doesn't really need to be another episode in the saga because the saga's job is finished.

>And how did the prequels not end with a cliffhanger, or LOTR for that matter, or Empire Strikes Back.

The closest one that ends with a cliffhanger is Empire Strikes Back and that wasn't even a cliffhanger. Each Star Wars and Lord of the Rings movie actually has its own resolution and wraps up all the plot elements of each individual film nicely.

In contrast, you can't really enjoy the Matrix Reloaded if you didn't like Matrix Revolutions because they are basically one single film with the Matrix Reloaded being the first half, loaded with things that don't make sense until explained in Revolutions and even lacks a resolution to its plot because Revolutions resolves that plot.
>>
>>63926480
>But the prequels were not better in world building at all, as the people I quoted claimed. Characters constantly explained the world in dialogue.

Yes and no. the prequels showed a whole a lot of things. The problem was that Lucas' world was too vast for him to fit everything he wanted to show in three single movies.

The prequel tell and not show a lot of things, but they also show a lot as well. the problem is it's like half show and tell and half not show and just tell.
>>
>>63926590

Are the EU books any good? I've always been kind of curious but SW never struck me as something that would translate well to a book. If the characterization is good or there's a lot of philosophical/spiritual stuff about The Force I might give some of them a read but if it's 200 pages of some hack describing lightsaber battles and blaster duels I just won't have it.
>>
>>63926777
Anything written by Timothy Zahn is wonderful. I think the Heir to the Empire series got some kind of sci fi novel award.

He made many legendary characters people wish were in the movie, like Admiral Thrawn (my favorite "villian"), Mara Jade, Jorus C'boath, and invented the yslmari(sp?) as a counter to Luke.

The clone thing was pretty schwifty too.
>>
>>63926714
>the problem is it's like half show and tell and half not show and just tell

I would also add that much of the telling comes across as boring or off-handed due to the stilted script and acting so it's easy to miss critical information sometimes
>>
Revenge of the Sith may actually be my 2nd favorite. It's miserable to watch the end with how sad it is but the drama is on point, lots of action, great worlds and scenes. Acting actually passable.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRgXGigPKuc

There is nothing like Battle of Heroes in TFA. It's all a shallow mess of thinly-veiled capeshit.
Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.