[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why not just take old Star Destroyers and use hyperspace jumps
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: Stalker.png (550 KB, 1115x700) Image search: [Google]
Stalker.png
550 KB, 1115x700
Why not just take old Star Destroyers and use hyperspace jumps to ram them directly into planets?
>>
Why not just use nuclear weapons?
>>
>>63919266

... to what ends?
>>
>>63919266

Why not just use tiny thermonuclear warheads with a hyperdrive strapped to them?

Why even use a Death Star or a Starkiller base if you can do this?

You can even use tiny hyperpace engines glued to random asteroids and space junk to destroy a planet.

TFA destroys a lot of lore while explaining nothing
>>
>>63919396
A Star Destroyer moving near the speed of light would instantly destroy a planet If It ran into it
>>
>>63919266

>the force allahu akbar
>>
If its now possible to hyperdrive past shields like in TFA any line of defense is now useless. Just make hyperdrive drone missiles.
>>
>>63919525
And even if it didn't immediately destroy the planet, it would create an immediate situation where the planet would require an evacuation of its surviving populace.

>>63919399
>Why not just use tiny thermonuclear warheads with a hyperdrive strapped to them?
The trick isn't one where you need bombs. You just need to accelerate mass. So you could build a hyperdrive into a giant rod of metal and send it into a planet and really fuck things up through raw kinetic force. You don't need warheads.

Old Star Destroyers just provide a lot of mass and have the hyperdrive pre-installed.
>>
>>63919821
And to make the point, the benefit is that when you want to launch your attack, it's a thing where you just send them on their way and it's done. One to each target. No charge-up. No way to stop them. They're going wherever the navigation is locked in for unless someone martyrs themself to stop it through a catastrophic measure.
>>
>>63919266

The fact that the Millenium Falcon jumped out of Hyperspace within an atmosphere and nothing happened implies that hyperspace is more like the hyperspace in Babylon 5, or subspace in Star Trek, as in: the ships don't simply go above c within the current dimension.

>TFA destroys a lot of lore while explaining nothing

>Star Wars
>any logical lore

Yeah, right..
>>
>>63919323
Nuclear weapons? Really, anon?

Even with batshit insane sci-fantasy Star Wars technology to hypercharge them into blowing up continents instead of cities...

...how is that greater than just destroying the planet like they've done in two films now?
>>
>>63920015
mark my words, they'll explain it as the falcon having unique experimental hyperdrive technology and it will never happen again
>>
>>63919399
>Why even use a Death Star or a Starkiller base if you can do this?
To be fair, the Death Star's cannon is the cherry on the cake, it mostly serves as a base of operation, massive aircraft carrier and weapon of dissuasion. It's purpose isn't to destroy planets, that's just an extra.
>>
>>63919266
This is like asking why doesn't the US military just fly old Jet Planes into enemy locations

They recycle them, just because they're redundant doesn't mean they don't have a shit ton of valuable materials in them
>>
>>63919399
>TFA destroys a lot of lore
Yeah, okay
>>
>>63920015
Trek ships do not fly in subspace though, but still, fair point.
>>
>>63919399
>You can even use tiny hyperpace engines glued to random asteroids and space junk to destroy a planet.

Thrawn did something similar. Cloaking devices and hyperdrives put onto asteroids and into orbit around Coruscant, setting up an effective blockade by bullshitting the inhabitants by telling them there were far more in the atmosphere than there actually were.
>>
IIRC Thrawn used hyperspace to fling asteroids into shit. He was pretty pragmatic
>>
File: 0295-1336367296763.png (5 KB, 203x210) Image search: [Google]
0295-1336367296763.png
5 KB, 203x210
>>63922017
Post yfw Thrawn is no longer canon

>mfw
>>
>>63922444
>63922444
fuck off tripfriend
>>
>>63922444
From my point of view, TFA is not canon.
>>
>>63919266

Why dont you drive it into a planet yourself?
>>
>>63922444
>caring about "official" (aka toy) canon
hell, thawn even got into some video games, he's more canon than tfa to me
>>
>>63922794
>tfw you can create your own canon in your own mind

in my mind boromir lives and killed the entire fellowship and took the ring. He killed sauron and all the orcs with a single strike too :) then he went to space and made the empire get on their knees and bow to the might of the white city. He also married Hermoine and had 4 beautiful children who became Vampires who sparkle in the sunshine ;)

wowwwwww I can make whatever canon I want!

Get the fuck out of here with your fanfiction. Canon is canon no matter how much you dont want it to be.
>>
>>63923945
>then he went to space
But Anon. Space in the Tolkienverse is filled with horrifying shapeless monsters that devour the souls of men.
>>
>>63924550
not in my canon ;)
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.