[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Using only information sourced directly from the Star Wars movie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 15
File: rey.jpg (250 KB, 768x431) Image search: [Google]
rey.jpg
250 KB, 768x431
Using only information sourced directly from the Star Wars movie universe (No EU, No Fanfiction, No filling in gaps) explain how Rey was:

-Able to pilot the Captain Falcon

-Able to perform force tricks any other jedi had to train to peform.

Go.
>>
The script said so
>>
the movie didnt explain it, maybe the next will

that's the magic of movies
>>
>>63911238
watched it a few hours ago. i was ready to leave after 30mins watching it. stayed since friends were with me. couldnt sit still of how badly this was made.
>>
>>63911238
>Able to pilot the Captain Falcon
She had flown before. She said so herself.

>Able to perform force tricks any other jedi had to train to peform.
Luke learned how to do the Jedi mind trick on his own too. In the OT training was more about letting the Force in, not so much about sure Force techniques. When Kylo tries to read her mind with the Force he unlocks her hidden Force potential. Besides, she was probably part of Luke's academy.
>>
>>63911284

So you kept watching after that Quad Jumpah.
>>
>>63911238
it's the force i ain't gotta explain sith
>>
>>63911238
Rey is Luke's daughter that's why
>>
>>63911298
>>63911280
>>63911238

>explain later

No, bullshit. This movie cant stand on its own if you explain later.
>>
File: 1450381252794.jpg (162 KB, 994x1334) Image search: [Google]
1450381252794.jpg
162 KB, 994x1334
Because she's Luke's daughter, you dofus.

Even my mother realized it.
>>
-Maybe has experience flying ships, seems like she knows too much, maybe even more than Solo

-She seemed so concentrated and patient when the force came out. Maybe the force is so strong on her, that it comes out sometimes without even previous training
>>
>Rey trained at Luke's academy as a child
>She was a better student than Kylo
>Kylo got jelly and began to experiment with the dark side
>He ended up wiping out most of the academy
>Rey was hidden on Jakku for her own protection

I'm not saying it's good, I'm just saying it's likely.
>>
>>63911298
>Luke learned how to do the Jedi mind trick on his own too

He watched Obi Wan do it, and trained with Yoda for a long time, during which he learnt various aspects of the force. Rey had no trained hinted at or implied.

>>63911345
Not in the movie.
>>
>>63911238
was a scrapper much like Anakin
was born with a very high count of Midi-chlorian
>>
>>63911371
> trained with Yoda for a long time
A few days at most.
>>
the force is space magic. like, actually space magic. youre asking why harry potter could make a glass case disappear without ever touching a wand or knowing he was a wizard
>>
>>63911357
>what is a trilogy
>what is plot device
>>
>>63911393
Yeah but he couldn't CONTROL it until he went to school
>>
>>63911238
>-Able to pilot the Captain Falcon
The ship was owned by her employer. She knows the layout of the ship thus likely had been involved in its repair and upkeep.
>>
I think it would ne quite simple for a beginner to use the force on a puppet soldier with a mind and personality destroyed by training
>>
>>63911421
And neighter can she. She just did some basic shit. Luke could call his lightsaber with zero training too.
>>
>SHE'S A NATURAL!
>>
>>63911421
You mean like how he could make things happen with his mind he couldnt explain? How tom riddle could mind control people? Hogwarts gave them much greater control, but unaware wizard children could still use magic in a way that only an unexplainable all encompassing force would
>>
>>63911371
>He watched Obi Wan do it, and trained with Yoda for a long time, during which he learnt various aspects of the force. Rey had no trained hinted at or implied.

Rey will most likely turn out to be one of the people Luke initially trained before Kylo/Ben betrayed him and thus received training at a very young age, but simply has forgotten about it.

How the fuck was Luke able to fly an X-Wing in ANH, when all he used before was his hover-shit-thing...
>>
>>63911480
>Luke could call his lightsaber with zero training too.

Nope. Not in the movies. Sorry bubba.
>>
>>63911480
>can use jedi mind control
>basic

kek
>>
>>63911238

Luke glamored Rey, Han, Chewy, Leia (and somehow Ben, but im not sure how) to forget a dark truth that could ruin the Jedi again and for all. That Rey is also a mediclorian baby, like Anikan, and doesn't want to risk another rise of the sith. He needs to find the original jedi temple to learn more about force born babies and how to overpower the dark side (which always has more influence and power in ever movie).
>>
>>63911575
>How the fuck was Luke able to fly an X-Wing in ANH, when all he used before was his hover-shit-thing...

I just finished rewatching ANH. I agree it is not defensible either.
>>
>>63911238
It's basically like goten and trunks turning SSJ before 10 years old, when goku & vegita made it just before their mid life crises. The potential power is exponential, each generation, once The Force Awakens™.
>>
>>63911586
>not in the movies
>what is the empire strikes back
>>
>>63911238
The issue is that Rey is so competent at every thing, she solves problems quickly and even when she fails, she recovers quickly. This reduces room for character growth, if the only thing interesting now is her parentage, which is external to her.

The opposition of the cgi puppet Palpatine wannabe, a humiliated Ren and fucking Phasma aren't exactly a terrifying cabal of villains. I just don't feel any suspense or dread for the heroes at all. Especially when Rey force powers are improving at an incredible rate and will likely be trained by Luke.

This is contrasted with Ren, who has vast character defects, and tremendous room to grow. I just find Rey boring.
>>
>>63911586
Watch ESB.

>>63911607
Luke did it in RotJ with 2 days of training from Yoda.
>>
Kylo only rolled 7 with his 2D6 force stat roll, Rey rolled 11 with her 2D6, meaning when Kylo vs. Rey go head to head on force, Rey has to roll 2+ with D6 to defeat him.
>>
>>63911371
Look faggot, it's fucking obvious she's either Luke's daughter or Kylo/Ben Solo's sister. She's the fucking protagonist, is amazing at piloting ships, is a technological genius, and managed to use the force with minimal to absolutely ZERO training, which was EXACTLY the same as Anakin and Luke. They both were tech geniuses, who were amazing pilots, and could use the force without ANY training whatsoever, and their force was also supposed to be stronger than any other force power of anyone ever.

Saying "they didn't say it in the movie yet" is fucking retarded because anyone whose actually watched the fucking movies knows well that she's a fucking Skywalker, one way or another. Obviously we don't exactly know what's going to happen but based of the fact that they're STILL following the hero's journey, and that Han died in the first one, just like Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn. Either Luke will tell her that she's her daughter at some point in the next movie, or were gonna have a big flashy "No Luke, I'm your Father" moment, with it being Kylo Ren saying their twins or some shit, and then in the last one Kylo is going to fucking realize he's being an edgy little twat, hug his sister/cousin and they're going to beat the fuck out of the Supreme Leader, and he's gonna die while he apologizes to his mother in her arms. It's predictable, but it's fun. Stop being so fucking dense

Also if you look at EU, Han and Leia's daughter and first son are basically renamed clones of Rey and Kylo Ren.
>>
>>63911371
Luke learned to force pull things into his hand before he ever met yoda.
>>
>>63911238
The Force Awakens™ and helps her learn things instantaneously. It's obvious.
>>
>>63911638
He had training in ANH you fucking moron, and Yoda training in Empire
>>
>>63911667
>Also if you look at EU

wew
>>
>>63911714
>skip the entire argument
>disclude it from the rest because it's fucking EU and it's trash

It wasn't a real point, just a coincidence I found. I don't plan on actually touching any EU trash
>>
>>63911437
I know how a semi works. Doesn't mean I can fucking drive it.
>>
> Able to pilot the Captain

She said herself that she has flown before. Also, it took her a while to get accustomed to flying the Falcon. Remember how she nearly crashed it a few times? I'll make a concession - she went from nearly crashing to maneuvering through an Executor hull very quickly.

> Able to perform force tricks any other jedi had to train to peform.

It's clear as day she was previously trained in the ways of the Force. I personally think she's Luke's daughter (tons of coincidences, her personality and altitudes match perfectly and Daisy's makeup really paint her as the spitting image of Natalie Portman).

Even if that wasn't true, she was definitely around when Luke's Jedi Academy v2.0 was wiped out. She was definitely a Youngling, but her memories were rather erased or she's simply forgotten. She was either placed on Jakku to be hidden from Ren, or Ren placed her there so she would be out of the way, because he couldn't kill her. I personally believe the latter, considering Ren's reaction when she's mentioned for the first time.
>>
>>63911238
Well, she barely did, almost fucked up the ship for good.

Literally two minutes before that she read mind of an advanced force user whose trick backfired on him. Did you even watch the movie?

Also, she BELIEVED in the force. That's a big change from Luke, who couldn't get it right because he didn't believe in it.
>Luke: I don't believe it!
>Yoda: That's why you fail.

While I agree the script was a little bit on the nose when it comes to mary-sueness of Rey, her powers have a very good in-universe explanation.
>>
>>63911238
>-Able to perform force tricks any other jedi had to train to peform.
How do you know that? Where in the movies was it said "Nobody can perform the Jedi mind trick without training"?
>>
>>63911387
>midi-chlorians
>>
>>63911238

She had the force
>>
>>63911667

this.
>>
>>63911421
Tell me, which training did Luke receive apart from some old sand hobo telling him what the force is, before he called in his saber from the ice at the beginning of TESB ?
>>
How was Rey able to be punched in the face by an alien with more mass on her and yet absolutely no sell it? I mean no kind of damage. Zero blemishing or bruising or blood. Should've known that would be how the movie would go on from then. Finn, Chewie and Han take on [potentially] fatal wounds throughout the course of the film yet Rey is never in ever immediate danger because she's never fucking hurt.

Getting real sick of the poor handling with female protagonists in these action films.
>>
>>63911238
We are shown in both the Prequel and Original trilogy that being good with the force means you can be a naturally good pilot. Not only are the Jedi Starfighters introduced in Episode II a chunk of lore dedicated to this, but we have Luke who pulls off an impossible shot his first time flying an X-wing and Anakin being the only human to ever be able to pod race.

She is also shown not to fly it well, constantly careening and bumping in to shit, and most of her feats involving it come from fixing it or understanding how it works, which having grown up as a junker and scavenger seems reasonable.

-Able to perform force tricks any other jedi had to train to peform.
I don't have any and it makes no sense. She shouldn't even know what a Jedi Mind trick is to even try and attempt one. Honestly, if her only force trick aside from pushing back the probing of Kylo Ren was grabbing the lightsaber, I'd be okay, as it's a rudimentary trick with the force and would have been a great reveal. That said, the jedi mind trick scene was fucking horesshit.
>>
>>63911653

Plenty of times passes between ep5 and ep6 you retard.
Luke was trained by yoda in that time.
>>
>>63912272
There's probably a scene lost in editing with Han telling them all the things Luke could do with the force.
>>
>>63912321

Neithet Luke or Kenobi used mind trick in front of Han.
>>
>>63911824

If you can drive a car you can drive a fucking truck.

The only difference is the gear ratios. Some semis will have up to 18 gears (including lots of crawler gears)

You dont have to relearn how to drive a fucking car when you buy a new one.
>>
>>63912272
She probably worked out that if Ren could probe into her mind and force her to reveal things then she could perhaps do it to other people and force them to do things.
>>
The mind trick scene didn't bother me.
The way I see it, Kylo is just an edgelord who thinks a lot of himself, yet, he never had to test his powers against another force user, which is why he's not that good when facing Rey.

And, Obi said in OT that mind tricking only works on weak spirits. You would think that trying it on a force user isn't easy, or at least, the fact that the mind of an untrained force user would instinctively react and defend against it isn't that far fetched
>>
>>63911238
POWER CONVERTERS
>>
>>63911238
Able to captain the Falcon
She was guided by the force.
She even says so herself that she has no idea how she did it

It's like Luke giving himself over to the force to take down the deathstar. He was letting it flow through him and it helped him with the shot.
She unconsciously allowed the force in and it helped her pilot the falcon.
>>
>>63912272
>>63912321
Everything Luke did is fucking legendary now, of course she's heard of the mind trick. Also this>>63911995
>>
>>63911238
God, you autists are just going to obsess on this for years, aren't you?
>>
>>63911238
IT IS A FUCKING MOVIE FAG
>>
File: oetjKhm.gif (1 MB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
oetjKhm.gif
1 MB, 300x300
Jesus fuck people, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. How did fucking everyone love this movie? How did Red Letter Media love this movie so much?
How did the obvious Mary Sue not ring any bells with anyone but Max Faggot Fanboy Landis?

I swear, RLM just has such a shit taste in movies.
>>
>>63912617
Social media peer pressure. Its basically jedi mind tricks and works with retards
>>
>>63911238
>tfa faggots try to say she's Luke's daughter as an excuse.(wich she fucking is obvious when she touches anakins lightsaber)
>Forgetting that Kylo is also a Skywalker being leias son so he should be OP as well.

>it'll be explained in a later movie.

It's a movie, not a television show.
>>
>>63912768
Meh. Leia is a shit with the force. Even if luke trained her kid he wouldn't be as strong as his own kid.
>>
>>63912617
the same thing happened with TPM.
just wait.
>>
>>63912967
M I T O C L O R I A N S
>>
>>63911238

She'd clearly been tinkering with the Falcon for a long time - she knew all the modifications that had been made to it since Han had lost it. Even if she hadn't flown it, it was familiar to her.
>>
>>63913044
Yet she calls it a piece of junk and refuses to fly it.

Only when the other, better ship gets blown up does she accept it as a last resort.
>>
>>63912967
She's only shit with it because her being Vader daughter was shoe horned in. But regardless. Kylo is anakins grandson. Are you saying Lukes potential is stronger in the force than his TWIN sister just cause he has a penis?
>>
>>63913069
>Yet she calls it a piece of junk

Fan service. Did you forget that Luke called it a piece of junk in ANH too?
>>
>>63911238
All Luke's training was Yoda telling him not to be a cunt and give into hate and anger.
>>
>>63911388
>implying he didn't went back to training after Empire
>>
>>63913154
Luke has no idea what it is. He's expecting something flashier when he gets there and it ends up looking like a typical freighter. Han corrects him and proves him wrong by escaping the Empire multiple times in the Falcon.

According to what you're saying, Rey would've worked on it. If she'd worked on it, she'd realize it was a lot faster and resilient than it seemed. She wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it as a piece of junk.

>Fan Service
I'm glad we can agree that most of the dialogue in this movie was pointless and just there to garner a chuckle from the audience.
>>
>>63911361
>Even my mother
>>
>>63913113
Yeah it's probably a paternal trait
>>
>>63913267

I dont mind the fan service if its done well, like Alderaan in kotor2.
>>
>>63913322
Too bad it wasn't done well. Your explanation of Rey knowing the Falcon so well falls flat because it runs counter to how she acts in the film

>I worked on this thing and I know it better than that other ship over there
>But I'll take the other ship because the guys who wrote this thought it would be a good idea to have a fan service moment
>>
>>63913382

>your explanation of rey bla bla

Wrong anon mate
>>
>>63911238
>Captain Falcon
>>
>>63913382

Did you watch the movie?

Rey takes the falcon because thats their only choice.
You must be retarded.
>>
>>63912768
>Implying Ren isn't powerful.
>Implying his whiny attitude doesn't force him to screw up.

In the first scene, he literally stops a laser in mid flight with the force, I can't recall ever seeing that. The whole point is that Rey, once she believes, has the completely right attitude. Ren is prone to fits of anger and tantrums, and is over-confident. He's never encountered or fought against someone as strong with the force as he is, and he's caught completely off guard.
>>
>>63913462
It's her only choice because her first choice (the one she insisted on) was blown up.
>>
File: 14383312884490.jpg (18 KB, 400x277) Image search: [Google]
14383312884490.jpg
18 KB, 400x277
>>63911238
>Kyle Katarn develops force powers and saber skills on his own after 1 vision
>One of fan-favorites
>Rey develops force powers and saber skills after 1 vision
>Boooo, Mary Sue
LOL
O
L
>>
>>63913496

Exactly.
No problem with that.
>>
>>63913003
this is my new favorite meme
>>
>>63913267
Rey never flew it before so she wouldn't know if it was good or not. btw, Han made up most of that shit about the Falcon.
>>
>>63913530
Except that anon's explanation as to why Rey would know anything about the Falcon holds no weight. Rey just magically knows how to fix and fly the Falcon because the plot demands it.

>>63913550
Every instance of the Falcon trying to escape in the OT has it outrunning the Empire at every turn, even with the Hyperdrive disabled.

The Falcon is not just another Corellian freighter.
>>
>>63911238
It's established that it takes no extra training to fly a spacecraft when you're good at flying a land cruiser.
Examples:
Episode 1: Anakin only has experience driving a podracer. He's still able to fly a naboo fighter
Episode 4: Luke only has experience driving a speeder. He's still able to fly a x-wing.
Episode 7 is even better in this regard because it shows Rey clearly fucking up in the beginning, while Anakin only had a few minor problems and Luke none.

>-Able to perform force tricks any other jedi had to train to peform.
I take it you mean the mind trick and the pull trick on the light saber?
I admit this one is vague. Star Wars has always been quite inconsistent with how the force works and what kind of experience you need to have to do certain things.
For instance Luke never has any lightsaber training but he's able to hold his own against Darth Vader.

We never see in the other movies what kind of training you need to influence someones mind.

We know you need at least some training to lift things etc from Episode 5.

My only explanation would be that she's strong with the force. Not a very good explanation but whatever.

Also, remember there are still 2 films with Rey in it that might explain some of these things.
>>
>>63911238
1. Spaceship controls are pretty uniform, Poe and fly a TIE perfectly for the first time either, And Luke flew X-wing perfectly for the first time, and anakin flew a spaceship for the first time perfectly - you get the idea
2. She got a look on how mind tricks work when Ren tried to probe her mind and just repeated what she experienced in reverse
>>
>>63913527

This. Also, we're forgetting the most important thing here guys, and that's the fact that she's less annoying and angsty than Anakin, and this series is already looking MUCH better than the prequels
>>
>>63913699
ill give you the force thing because as of now we dont know how the hell the force works, the prequels tried to explain it with science and the sequel went way more magic with it.

however with the falcon rey knows everything about it instantly. she actually tells han how to pilot it in one scene and fixes it when the hyperdrive malfunctions. shes a mary sue man, i know it sucks but hey, stronk women amirite?
>>
>>63913699
Anakin is actually one of the best podracers and comes back from virtually last place to win against Sebulba.

I agree partially with you on Luke, but he had planned to enter the Imperial Academy as a pilot. It's too bad Beggar's Canyon isn't canon anymore.

Luke can sort of hold his own against Darth Vader in 5, but Vader isn't trying to kill him, one because the Emperor wants him alive and two because it's his son. He later gets his shit pushed in when Vader realizes he won't go as easily as he expected.
>>
>>63912180
Good point
>>
>>63912617
>Why isn't everybody cynical like me? Waaaaaaaaaah
>>
>>63912180

Basic force training aboard the millnium falcon with Kenobi.
You would know if you have seen the movie.
>>
>>63912617
A Confederacy of Dunces, my friend.

A Confederacy of Dunces.
>>
>>63911575

The X-Wing and Luke's T-16 were both made by Incom, the controls were probably the same.
>>
>>63911368
She is 15 years old and she looked 5 or 6 when she was abandoned. How old is Kylo?
>>
>>63914142
> both made by Incom
No longer canon
>>
>>63911653

Luke trained with Yoda for months while the Falcon slowly limped to Besin on sunlight engines.
>>
>>63913640
It seems she knows very well the Falcon considering she tells Han all the mistakes the former owner made with it.
>>
File: Max Landis.jpg (255 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
Max Landis.jpg
255 KB, 900x1200
This thread brought to you by Max "Can't" Landis
>>
>>63914073
What do you mean by this?
>>
>>63911575
>>63911622

Actually Luke said he flew a t-16 back on Tatooine. It's where his whole "shooting womprats" came from.

But the Skywalkers are just natural pilots anyway.
>>
>>63914156
He could be nearly 30 considering Han and Leia were definitely shagging behind the tree at the ewok/burning darth vader on a pyre party in RotJ.
Rey is obviously younger (probably around 20) since there was no love interest for Luke at the time, so we don't know when he came in some yet un-named Rey mother
>>
>>63913784
we see her scavaging for parts and fixing them up. She know what does what.

Also she knew what that scumbag guy had done to the ship. I don't remember exactly what it was but he did something and she heard about it/saw it.
>>
The force.
>>
>>63913795
Kylo also isn't trying to kill Rey. Just throwing that out there.
>>
>>63911667
BULLSHIT! Anakin wrecked several pods in a few races before he got good! In fact both Shmi and his boss spoke of how often he failed at it. Anakin got good and developed his abilities through trial qnd error and the only EDGE THE FORCE GAVE HIM WAS A BETTER REACTION TIME that still didn't aide him in mastering pod racing which in itself took trial and error to master. At the end the fighter he was in was remotely taken to battle. Once there Anakin used his TRAINED force ability of avoiding danger and got on the ship because he was running from several fighters. He didnt intentionally blow up the ship he was defending himself against dozens of droids and accidentally struck a fuel tank. Luke was a duster and wasnt the only x wing pilot who was an ace. If you remember his friend from the planet was also there. And were it not for the pilots on his flank protecting him he would have died.
>>
>>63914320
She is 15 according to the wiki. He was intrigued by her when a soldier mentioned her. Maybe he knows that a little girl escaped his purge.
>>
>>63914156
>>63914320

Rey is 19. Finn is 23. Poe is 32. And Ben is 29-30.
>>
>>63914219
She does, but there's no context as to why she'd know these things. The Falcon was on Jakku but there was no implication that she'd worked on it. She made the same appraisal that Luke did when he first saw it, i.e. it's a piece of junk. I feel like if she had worked on it, she would be inclined to use it when the First Order attacked.

Rather than have Rey sort of just know how to fly the Falcon, it would've been better to have her and Finn escape on the Falcon, but when they reach space they find out they barely know how to use the thing, let alone repair it.

Cue Han's introduction and Rey actually learning something about the Falcon and how it works by interacting with him. It would've been a nice set-up for something down the line where Rey actually demonstrates what she's learned. That's a better pay-off than what we got in the movie.
>>
>>63914356
visual dictionary for the movie confirms she's 19.
>>
Part-time.
>>
>>63914255
Use Google.
>>
>>63914407
John Kennedy Toole novel. It's very funny but I don't get the reference in the context it was used.
>>
>>63913795
>Luke can sort of hold his own against Darth Vader in 5, but Vader isn't trying to kill him, one because the Emperor wants him alive and two because it's his son. He later gets his shit pushed in when Vader realizes he won't go as easily as he expected.
It was just an example of how the amount of training needed for certain skill is vague.

On the other hand there is a clear progression in the skills Luke has over the OT. You can clearly see how he goes from noob to apprentice to knight over the three movies. I have to admit Rey recieves her skill quite fast but it didn't bother me that much. It simply didn't break my suspension of disbelieve. Clearly it did for a lot of people on /tv/. We can debate this for the comin decades but I don't think there's that much of a point, it either worked for you or it didn't.

That being said, there are still 2 movies that may give some background to Rey. Obviously there's a lot to fill in there.
>>
>>63911664

Underrated
>>
>>63914454
Look for the original Jonathan Swift quote.

I'm not saying you're a true genius but right now you are experiencing a Confederacy of Dunces.
>>
Stated this before:
I think Rey is actually a failed clone of Luke, a leftover from when he experimented with the Darkside, which lead to Kylo Ren's fall.

He didn't expect her to become fully formed, and when she did, he abandoned her on Jakku because he didn't want to kill an innocent, but at the same time was afraid of what she might become, being a created with sith science/alchemy.

I think that would be more interesting than her just being Luke's daughter.

How interesting would it be for him, the Grand Master Jedi to be afraid of a clueless darkside clone, a relic of himself in an attempt to increase is own power?
>>
>>63912617
One bad aspect is not enough to destroy a movie you autistic assclown. It isn't GOAT, it's just okay or good.
>>
>>63914472
Part of the problem is that Rey seems to be so capable of so much, and is able to learn so quickly, that the room for development seems much less. The interesting thing about her is her history and background, not really her character growth. Also unlike Vader and the empire, the villians here seem much less menacing, which reduces a deal of tension. Snoke just seems like a wannabe palpatine, Ren was humiliated and Phasma is fucking pathetic. The opposition to someone as skilled as Rey just seems trivial.
>>
>>63914219
Which makes choosing the (not yet exploded) quad jumper over it seem dumb.
Better way to do it
>finn insists they take the quad jumper
>Rey says take the freighter (falcon)
>finn calls it a piece of broken junk
>rey retorts she's been working on it
>quad jumper explodes
>finn agrees to go for the falcon
>>
>>63914542
>Luke cloning himself
>Luke experimenting with the Dankside
>Luke leaving a child to fend for herself on a trash planet
Yeah that totally like Luke Skywalker. You should mail Disney.
>>
Snoke isn't the main bad guy. There's a threat coming from another galaxy. Starkiller base wan't a new Deathstar, it was a bomb that was meant to load up with sun power, warp into another galaxy and explode.
>>
She was formerly a sith who had her mind wiped by Luke
>>
>>63911646
Simple. Have her go evil in ep VIII
>>
>>63911238
>>63911357
>>63911421
>>63911524
>>63911684
>>63912232
>>63912768

>I need for every single piece of plot and every detail to make perfect sense and have a realistic explanation told within the movie that also doesn't contradict any other movie that could have come before it and I don't want there to be any mystery that could and will be explained in a later movie, because I just can't enjoy watching imaginary people fighting with magical powers in a universe written for children, if the whole thing isn't consistent enough (also, this is convenient for me to complain about because I have an anti-SJW/edgy contrarian (pick at least one) agenda to push, I don't care about the fact that many of the problems present in TFA were virtually the same in ANH and ESB).
>>
>>63913069

Yes, because she's been in it, worked on it, and knows it shouldn't be flown by anyone with a shred of sanity because it's crosswired six ways to Sunday and falling apart. You're really making it all out to be far more complicated than it needs to be.
>>
The movie doesn't do a good job of showing why Rey is skilled at these things, no.

But it DOES do a good job of showing the bad guys as totally incompetent. I think it evens out in that sense.
>>
I thought it was because she is Lukes daughter and she somehow learned it from the force or some shit
>>
>>63911238
Katleen Kennedy decided so and JJ obeyed.
>>
>>63914610
>The interesting thing about her is her history and background
I agree
>not really her character growth.
We simply don't know yet.

I think she actually has some character:
She's working her ass of on a shitty planet to survive, waiting for her family to return. Her run in with BB8 leads her a away and she wants to return to her shitty existence but finally gives up on the idea of her family returning. Instead she joins her new friends in fighting the empire.
It shows she's persistent but also just looking for belonging.

>Also unlike Vader and the empire, the villians here seem much less menacing, which reduces a deal of tension.
Less menacing but menacing still. You're right, it's unclear what the extent of their power is. Obviously they're still very powerfull, there's barely anyone to stop them.

>Snoke just seems like a wannabe palpatine,
Yeah I'm not too excited about him. But we'll have to wait and see.
>Ren was humiliated and
which made him so much more interesting than Vader.
>Phasma is fucking pathetic.
They just set her up to be the new Boba Fett in the next movies. Obviously she'll be hunting her disobedient stromtrooper.

>The opposition to someone as skilled as Rey just seems trivial.
Rey had a lot of luck. Kylo wanted to capture her at first, not kill her. Also, he's not fully trained and has never fought against someone (or maybe he did when killing his peers). He just killed his father and was shot by chewies very powerfull bowcaster. They're also seperated halfway through the fight.
If the fight had been on fair grounds Kylo would have rekt her shit.
>>
Are you boys telling me she JUST switched off her targeting computer?
>>
Rey is lukes child from a Virgin birth and thus a sister of anakin in a way
>>
>>63914959
>You're really making it all out to be far more complicated than it needs to be.

I'm not the one doing the mental gymnastics. I'm simply using what she says and does in the film as evidence. She doesn't want to fly the Falcon because she thinks its a piece of shit. That's it. It's as simple as that. There doesn't need to be a contrived, made-up reason involving her possibly working on the thing and possibly knowing how it flies and works. These things aren't made apparent and are purely speculation, so why should anyone accept them as a reason why she can fly it?

>it shouldn't be flown by anyone with a shred of sanity

Turns out the thing flies just fine in atmosphere and needed one pulled circuit to work properly in space.
>>
>>63911368
sadly this seems likely
cant have rey be beat at anything, cant have evil white guy have a victory at all
>>
>>63911238
>she was a pilot

>the force awakened in her

There, explained.
>>
She was at the academy destroyed by the Knights of Ren but suppressed her time there as well as her training.

Source: flashback in Maz's castle.
>>
>>63913777
>>63913527
I loved the scene where she's actually too dumb to shoot a blaster, even though Han specifically told her to get that shit straight.
>>
>>63914822
>I like bad movies and defend them on the internet
>>
>>63912617
because it wasn't as bad as we feared it might be

rewatch the originals and realize no one had very high hopes
>>
>>63915310
but she mary sues it like everything else. she misses once and then kills every stormtrooper she sees. the bitch has no flaws
>>
>>63915036
Being strong, persistent and capable are praiseworthy traits, but they don't really make for a interesting character, I don't see any significant character flaw for her to correct. This is in contrast to Kylo who has major character defects and emotional shit, it just seems like there is a lot more to resolve and grow on.

I know Ren is more interesting than Vader, at least Vader in the first movie, it's just he no longer seems like a threat to a prodigy like Rey who would presumably be trained by Luke. I dunno about Phasma, seems like she should be executed for lowering the shields.

I think its more of the way the fight between Rey and Kylo was presented, Kylo fucked up Finn so quickly that I think that people would assume that the injury didn't affect him that much. Also Rey was pretty emotionally compromised too. So I hope Ren at least beats her the next movie, cos if Ren loses all three movies it would be really sad.
>>
>>63911238
Can you fucking nerds stop making these star wars threads? Just because star wars is part of popular culture now doesn't mean you aren't still disgusting ugly nerds and star wars sucks and has always sucked. Yes the original trilogy too. People just think it's good because it's old or 'classic' therefore it must be good.
>>
>>63915432
>nerds
Those threads are spammed by Disney's PR firm.
>>
>not realising ren being OP is part of the plan to make her evil, and ren becomes good and has to beat her

He's anti anikin for fucks sake

Remember all the visions of the future Rey saw with her and the troopers who weren't aggressive? She was on their side, she's the big bad
>>
>>63911238

Magic. This series doesn't give that much of a shit about consistency or logic. It happens because plot or a wizard did it. Just that it comes off very pretty and big. We don't know shit about her lineage, but if it's Luke, she's got a precedent for just having stronger magic than others. It's vague bullshit, but that's the SW universe.
>>
>>63915422
>Being strong, persistent and capable are praiseworthy traits, but they don't really make for a interesting character, I don't see any significant character flaw for her to correct.
You're right but why does there have to be a flaw for her to correct? Compare her to Luke in IV. I saw IV this week and I can't find a flaw with him at all. He's slightly naive and inexperienced maybe? He seems kind of boring in IV. He only becomes interesting in 5 and 6 because of his relation to Vader.
I'd say Rey has even more depth to her. Instead of leaving because her family is dead she gives up on the idea of ever finding them.

I think it's fine that Rey and Kylo might be on a similar level right now. They'll both be trained by their master and face off again.

>I hope Ren at least beats her the next movie, cos if Ren loses all three movies it would be really sad.
Me too.
>>
>>63912387

I think he's talking about being a mechanic that can't drive. One does not need to know how to use the object if they merely work on it.
>>
>>63915631
I didn't find Luke that interesting either, but I think relative to the rest of the cast, there seemed greater scope to developed. Han was more streetwise, Obi had Jedi stature that Luke only replicated in Return and Vader remained an intimidating presence. Rey has a stronger internal conflict in the first movie, but it seems resolved, and Rey just seems so capable at everything relative to others, to the point that she knows the Falcon better than Han.
>>
>>63914993
He was so incompetent he is the only force user in six movies shown to stop a bolt in mid air and to use telepathic interrogation until Mary Sue Rey out psyched him apparently.
>>
Student in Luke's Academy
Mind wiped and left on Jakku
Got back her memory and training by touching lightsaber
>>
1. Learned it from being a scavenger
2. If you watch the subtitles, a voice tells her how to do the jedi mind trick
>>
>>63911238
Silly OP, she's a woman. She can do anything
>>
>>63911298
>kylo unlocked her powers
>she was part of Luke's academy
>the force told her how to do it.

Was it one of these, all of these or neither Abrams?

Or did your best girl just need to flawless so you could attract more female viewers to the franchise, regardless of how it stupid if makes the film?

Abrams and his Disney master's catering to the fact that the female gender's capacity for indulging in how fucking flawless it thinks it is, is the only explanation that makes sense.

Search your feelings normies, you know it to be true.
>>
>>63915784
>to the point that she knows the Falcon better than Han.

Nothing wrong with that. I got the sense that Han kinda juts relied on luck and a baseline know-how to keep the Falcon going. He was probably the type of guy that if something broke on the falcon, he'd go on space youtube and lookup the how-to guide to fix it. And even then he'd cut corners.
>>
>>63916034
Yeah becaus she as a kid was that much of a bad ass that post that time she didn'y have to train at all and was even a more competent force user than a guy who could stop bolts in mid air and use the force to telepathically interrogate them!
>>
>>63916331
I know that it can be justified, though Han should still have a pretty comprehensive knowledge of his ship as he probably had to make a lot of impromptu repairs in the heat of a battle or chase, its just the presentation of Rey being so proficient relative to everyone else that I find limits the anticipation and scope for development.
>>
>>63916483
yea, she was a bit too good at everything, tho she had enough internal conflict going on about her past and whatnot that it didn't bother me.

Considering how hardcore they could have fucked up her character, I thought overall she was great and I'm curious to see where she goes in the next two films
>>
You gotta admit though, Daisy became cuter towards the end of the movie.

She had those zettai ryouki things in her arms. Goddamn.
>>
>>63911238

The prequels didn't happen and using the force isn't actually incredibly hard as long as you have it.
>>
File: Link dat ass.jpg (17 KB, 203x195) Image search: [Google]
Link dat ass.jpg
17 KB, 203x195
>>63916543
the low camera on her butt when she climbs the stairs skywalker island with those tight pants.
Damn.
>>
>>63913795
Beggar's canyon isn't canon? He fucking says it during the Death Star run.
>>63914142
This.>>63914157
...oh what the actual fuck.
>>
>>63914346
This.
>>
>>63914031
He had only told him not to look, but feel. Rey learned more about the force at this point and she also has seen it in use.
>>
>>63916641
I was looking more into her pits. She looked clean as fuck even with those sandy shit stuff. Imagine the whiteness of those armpits.
>>
>>63916732
nah, I was appreciating her thick thighs and butt. They were pretty great. Not much of an armpit fan myself.
>>
>>63916779
No I understand. Not a fan of it. Just wanted to see more. But at least in the end dem thighs and butt showed. Luke better train her well.
>>
>>63911238

It was heavily implied that she used the force you baka
>>
>>63916331
>baseline knowledge of how it works
>SPECIAL modifications that made it legendarily fast
Pick one.

Its troubles in ESB were because it was half taken apart when they escaped
>>
>>63916922
I just assumed Lando put that shit on it before Han owned it. Unless Han says he did it himself in IV, I honestly don't remember.
>>
>>63911238
she's so qt
it hurts
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 500x329) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 500x329
Friendly reminder that this little fucker had superhuman piloting skills and built a sophisticated android before his testicles dropped.

>a girl pilot/mechanic? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE
>>
>>63917050
So TFA is as shit as the Phantom Menace.
>>
tfw in german, it's called 'the awakening of the force", because translating the title literally would make it rhyme and sound dumb as shit.
>>
>>63916978
"I made a lot of special modifications myself" is the line
>>
>>63917087
If you think anything is as bad as the Phantom Menace because of broad generalizations you read on the internet, I pity you.
>>
>>63917050

And everyone thinks that that's shit too.
>>
>>63917050
He was said to be shitty racer without a single finish before TPM

And didn't act like he knew the naboo cruiser better than its pilot
>>
>>63917442
why be surprised though
>>
- she lived the whole life in a desert planet examining and piloting countless ships, dismantling control panels and engines, this is self explanatory about how she can pilot pretty much anything

- she knew the whole Jedi myths from where she lived, she was curious about Jedi and Empire stories, she even collected old helmets and shit. She knows who was Vader and what was the Force, that's why she was afraid of taking that lightsaber. She saw Ren using a mind trick on her and, remembering what Maz said about her lineage and inheriting the saber, she knew she could do it too.

How hard is to face the obvious OP?
>>
>>63917541
he was said to be the worst racer, but also that normal humans can't pod race at all because reflexes.
>>
>>63911238
>Captain Falcon
She struggled at first, but I was under the impression that she'd seen the interior, and with her knowledge of tech she was able to figure out a lot of the ship's quirks. She was also implied to be an okay pilot altogether. Though Poe's obviously better.

Whoever said Jedi actually had to train to perform them? She fucked up the mind trick at first, too, and Obi-Wan said it's the Force having influence on the WEAK-MINDED.

>>63911361
This as well. I don't think my mom realized it, but I definitely thought it was pretty clear.

>>63911687
>He had training in ANH
It wasn't training in object-yanking.
>and Yoda training in Empire
He pulled the lightsaber on Hoth!
>>63917265
How is that dumb? Sounds pretty okay.
>>
>>63911388

You mean hours or minutes
>>
>>63917658
>How is that dumb? Sounds pretty okay.
nah, I mean the literal translation would sound dumb as shit because it rhymes.
'Die Macht erwacht', you can already see how awkward that looks.
>>
>>63917050
I think people typically complain about that actually. I know I did.
>>
>>63917630
>that's why she was afraid of taking that lightsaber
I'd say she was startled and frightened of the spooky fucking visions it gave her.
>>
>>63917352
ok, fair enough.
>>
>>63911238

ITS ALMOST AS IF ITS SUPER FUCKING OBVIOUS THAT SHE WAS TRAINED AND HAD HER MIND WIPED OR SOMETHING...

Gee I wonder if she can do all of this shit because women are amazing and nobody thought to question her character or if it was the mystery this film basically screams at you the whole time.

Why are people on 4chan literally retarded?
>>
>>63917658
>that bit where Poe wrecks like 10 ties in 10 seconds via xwing

he's pretty legit, he's basically the new wedge
>>
>>63917810
>ITS ALMOST AS IF ITS SUPER FUCKING OBVIOUS THAT SHE WAS TRAINED AND HAD HER MIND WIPED OR SOMETHING...
remember when luke was in a swamp for 3 days and learned how to levitate a few rocks and nothing else?
He was obviously trained years before and then mind wiped.
>>
>>63917855
He's a bit too good IMO
>>
>>63914822
This!

Fuck you 4chan community. Rly.

I know you are fucked up inside but at least try to enjoy some of things in your life.
>>
File: 1449265579126.gif (464 KB, 500x469) Image search: [Google]
1449265579126.gif
464 KB, 500x469
Ben/The bad guy was such a fuckboy holy shit

Literally so disappointed, his voice was all awkwardly shivery all the time too I just wanted to punch him and call him a faggot and he'd probably just stand there and cry or something
>>
You know I was cool with her fighting back from that mind probe and I came around on that mind trick a bit tho it goes way too far. But that saber battle...no, just no. She needed to lose that fight not win it. They made the bad guys the /underdogs/ in this series and that's just bad writing.

It's like they decided to call the military "The Resistance" as if that would be enough to make us think The First Order are not the ones holding on by a thread.
>>
>>63917937
I think that's kind of the point though. He was designed to be a whiney teen, and they pulled that off flawlessly.
You want to see him get his huge nose punched in.
>>
>>63917940
but Rey basically beating kylo could set up a nice arrogance thing with Rey in VIII

>luke trains Rey
>hey Luke im ready to face kylo again
>dude no you aren't
>Rey goes anyway and gets rekt

poetry, etc. Tho that arrogance streak would clash with her current character so who knows at this point
>>
>>63917810
She was abandoned when she was 4, I doubt she could learn all that when she was 4.
>>
>>63917940
She beat a whiney teen, she didn't beat the first order.

>>63918048
she's not arrogant but she's too careless. She just randomly tries to do shit, like the force trick or climbing along the insides of the base, and at some point she's gonna fall on her face for it.
>>
File: plagueis.jpg (181 KB, 1303x635) Image search: [Google]
plagueis.jpg
181 KB, 1303x635
Rey better go dark side, or she's a shitty mary sue.

I'm excited for Plagueis pottery though.
>>
>>63911238

Piloting a ship is piloting a ship. She's on a scavenger planet she's probably flown all kinds of junked ships around just to get them back to base.

The force stuff is just a combination of things. During the scene where Kylo tries to mindfuck her and she not only resists but reverses it on him, she realises that she's probably got the force too. Then she just uses vague memories of stuff like she heard Jedi can do this mind trick thing so I'll try that.
>>
>>63911238
OBIWAN WAS WHISPERING ADVICES DURING THE WHOLE FUCKING MOVIE DID YOU EVEN PAY ATTENTION?
>>
File: spooky horror.gif (3 MB, 275x150) Image search: [Google]
spooky horror.gif
3 MB, 275x150
>>63918136
Snoke is a fucking Lich!
I knew it!
Get ready to rattle your bones!
>>
>>63918114
>she's not arrogant
Except she really is
>offered blaster
>>I can handle myself
>>
>>63917877
At least they qualified the 'best pilot in the Resistance' line.

Unlike Anakin, a legendary starfighter pilot who does fuck-all actual starfighting in the movies.

>>63917937
I thought it was hilarious. He's basically a Vader fanboy who dresses in black, shot up his school and hates his dad but who gets his ass kicked by a girl.
>>
Bigger question:
How did R2-D2 know when to do the Deus ex Machina map reveal right at the moment the Hyperdeath Star blew up?
Like, was he remote controlled by plot?
>>
A retarded jump in skill through the force is not a new concept in this series, and if it surprised you you're a newfag

Luke outpiloting Vader on his first real combat flight = Rey outcombatting Ren in her first lightsaber fight

suck it fags
>>
>>63918259
>scene where she needs to handle it
>can't even handle the fucking safety on the gun
gj girl!
>>
>>63918329
Luke didn't outpilot Vader though you fucking retard, watch the movie.
Han has to save his ass.
>>
>>63918317
Luke uploaded a copy of the script into his datacore before leaving.
>>
>>63911238
She tells Finn she's a pilot. Apparently she wasn't lying.

It's fucking MAGIC
>>
It really kind of makes me sad when I think about how there are some people so dead set on not liking this movie for such petty reasons. When was the last time you just enjoyed something and had fun?
>>
>>63918461
yeah but why did he activate right in time to wrap up the narrative?
What triggered him? Did he read the fucking script and just knew when to reward the protagonists with the prize for winning the movie?
>>
>>63911238
>Commercial ships in the Star Wars universe are easy to pilot as to accommodate the disparate species that will use them.
>She's a Skywalker
>>
>>63917940

The First Order have a planet sized, star system destroying machine and the ability to insert divisions of highly trained soldiers straight to the ground with heavy air support basically wherever and whenever they want.

The Resistance has 12 fighter ships hidden in hobbit holes on one planet, and a 70 year old smuggler acting as their best special ops agent.

None of which makes sense since there's ostensibly The New Republic, which should be fighting back against The First Order as much as the Resistance. Hell, The Resistance shouldn't even be a separate force, it should just be the New Republic Military. That's the biggest stretch they made to get TFA into line with ANH.
>>
File: 1447299143590.jpg (5 KB, 236x228) Image search: [Google]
1447299143590.jpg
5 KB, 236x228
>>63911238
Captain Falcon
>>
>>63911361
>t. jj abramosa
>>
>>63918617
Resistance =/= Republic
That's said in the movie
>>
>>63918317

I assumed Luke put him in semi shutdown until the time was right. Luke sensed Han Solo dying and sent an unlock signal to him because he realised shit's getting real and he needs to get back into the game.
>>
File: 1429693771140.jpg (24 KB, 488x488) Image search: [Google]
1429693771140.jpg
24 KB, 488x488
>>63911238
Luke was able to do the same shit. He was "A pretty good pilot himself" and yanked a lightsaber out of an ice block before ever meeting Yoda.

Deal with it faggot.
>>
>>63918666

I know it isn't, my point is that it should be, and there's no reason for it not to be other than a clunky attempt to set up a situation similar to the original trilogy.
>>
>>63914704
>>Luke leaving a child to fend for herself on a trash planet
Luke would be totally down with that. That's how he'd think Jedi kids have to be raised.

Orphan them all.
Let the Force sort them out.
>>
>>63918720
It just shows how hard it is to build a republic that doesn't have the exact same problems than the old Republic. Without that fact there cannot be another trilogy at all.
>>
>>63918692

A big part of the criticism centers around Rey fighting over it with a sith lord.

But yeah, Luke received remarkably little training, and whereas Rey received none, she had a far harsher, more demanding life than Luke did. You could also say whatever events between ANH and TPM helped him hone his powers, which was 3 years as opposed to Rey's hard life.
>>
>>63911298
>She had flown before. She said so herself.

"I''ve sailed a canoe before, let me pilot this barge!"

>Luke learned how to do the Jedi mind trick on his own too

After three films and training.
>>
>>63918969

Luke piloted a skyhopper (which wasn't a spaceship or really designed for combat) and a landspeer, and maybe a few other terrestrial vehicles, and had no trouble flying an X-Wing.

>After three films and training.

He was talking about something that happened in the very beginning of TPM (which occurred under extreme circumstances, kind of like Rey), and his training was a brief session with Obi-Wan and hints from his ghost.
>>
>>63918883

But Kylo is NOT a sith lord, he's just some asshole with a clumsily homebuilt lightsaber and some force training. He's basically the poorly equipped and not particularly well trained Sith version of a padawan at this point.

Not sure why everyone keeps noticing that Finn and Rey managed to fight him on equal footing but then assume that this means that Finn and Rey are talented fighters INSTEAD of assuming that Kylo is a crap fighter.
>>
>>63914822
nice
>>
>>63919082

Yeah, I didn't mean to say a sith lord, sorry. But it's pretty clear he was very powerful and adept in the force.
>>
>>63919082
Cos the movie has portrayed him as menacing and threatening throughout. His force powers were presented in a menacing way, he defeated almost al the heroes, Han explicitly states his power and its implied he killed Jedi. Its clear the movie wanted to his presence to create tension and stakes. If he is just some loser, then all tension is gone.
>>
>>63918883
Well we know he was a soldier so he spent that time training in both military tactics and the use of his force abilities through battles and other shit. Rey just went from zero to like half done to become a Jedi master within one day. It was like fan fiction, the kind of shit you'd laugh at if it was in an Extend Universe novel. I could buy her getting in a good lucky shot or a surprisingly powerful force push but she just fucking dominated and it was almost cringe worthy but the movie was so good you only really notice it when you look back on it.
>>
File: 1448461997618.jpg (144 KB, 2500x1645) Image search: [Google]
1448461997618.jpg
144 KB, 2500x1645
>>63911687

Except he force pulls the lightsaber to him on Hoth you fucking retard.
>>
>>63919281

You're overlooking what I said about Rey's life. She was an orphan who grew up largely on her own as a scavenger. She by most measures lived a very harsh life. Luke in contrast lived a pretty laid back one.
>>
>>63911238
Shez lukes and solos daughtet.
>>
>>63919328
Yea but that seemed more like a intuitive, minor ability, I wouldn't mind if Rey had overpowered Ren through some undirected use of force.
>>
>>63919209

Again, I thought it plays well into the character. Kylo Ren is *actively trying to be intimidating*. He stomps around, he wears a spooky mask that has a spooky voice modulator on it for no reason other than to look and sound scarier than he is. He has his vicious looking lightsaber that he smashes shit up with just to intimidate people around him. He's deliberately trying to invoke all the things that made Vader an intimidating character, except he has to *force* it because he's not actually a very intimidating man. What came naturally to Vader is an effort for Kylo.

As for his force powers, I have a theory about that. He's very much trying to be a dark side guy, and he's actually concerned that he's not dark side enough. He still has compassion and nice feelings and he "feels the pull of the light", as he confesses to the Vader helmet. He thinks that killing Solo damn it do I even have to spoiler this any more will free him from his last ties to the light, but it doesn't, it just throws him into turmoil and he's unfocussed. That's why he doesn't dodge the shot that wounds him.

In his final fight he's unfocussed and can't draw on the dark side, and doesn't WANT to draw on the light side, so his force powers are fucked up. Notice how he keeps punching himself in his wound; he's trying to hurt himself, fire himself up on the pain and get the dark side flowing again, but it's not working.

Fuck I love overthinking this shit.
>>
>>63919281
>Jedi Master
When?
Just because she beat Kylo? He just have a bit more training than her, and he was badly injured.
>>
.instead of vanishing Poe escapes with Finn, they have a bromance until they run into Rey where a love triangle starts ala Luke/Han/Leia in episode IV
.Poe pilots the millennium falcon while Rey keeps it in one piece and Finn guns, if female empowerment is an issue then put Rey in the SECOND gunner chair
. On the forest planet dramatic tension: they threaten to split because Poe wants to rejoin the resistance, Finn wants to run away and Rey wants to go home
.Rey gets captured and taken to the First Order Fleet who are planning an attack on Republic territory and are based around a snow planet
.they join with the Resistance who are planning an assault on the fleet but they need to get the planet energy shield down to assault command center on the ground... if you MUST have a super weapon then they graft a death star laser on a Super Star Destroyer
.Rey escapes not with mind tricks but by using basic force push/pull powers like Luke could use in Empire with little to no training

There I fixed the film
>>
>>63914822
>i dont need storytelling to tell stories cos i have the power of smug imaginatio
>>
>>63912387
You know there are people on 4chan right now that can't drive a manual transmission despite holding a valid license let alone a double clutch.
>>
>>63911238
I think it was sort of implied she could communicate with or 'hear' machines through the force. She might be able to hotwire the Falcon and get it off the ground due to her established ability to pilot that weird flying tractor and the rudimentary knowledge in mechanics she could have gained by being a scavenger her whole life.

However, the prodigal displays of both piloting and ship repair skills are a bit over the top. It would've been nice if they hinted that she does this stuff intuitively rather than just being that good for no apparent reason. Or at least hit a few obstacles while flying and further fuck up the ship.

The films never established how trained a person has to be to use a certain force power. Maybe some force users have an affinity for a certain trick and learn and use it a lot more easily than others. There are a few plausible explanations, like touching the lightsaber triggered her powers or something, and it is very likely this will be somehow adressed in the next movies.

My personal interpretation is that she is insanely strong in the force, as demonstrated in her scene with Kylo where she is able to resist his mindrape and read his thoughts even though she never trained to do those things either.
>>
>>63916331
The owner on jakku made modifications to it that she knows about.
Presumably she was one of the people who worked the modifications
>>
>>63919462
But I think the film makers wanted Ren to be a legitimate threat, yes he is emotionally unstable and ahs severe character defects. But this doesn't mean he also can't be strong and dangerous. If the heroes are to be sufficiently challenged and their fate held in suspense, then the villain must be intimidating.

My complain is that if Ren is such a weakling, then I'm worried that all tension is gone. Rey is just too strong for the villains. She is a prodigy and is good at almost everything, the villians so far, Snoke, Phasma, Ren all seem trivial.

Also I agree, Ren is a very interesting and deep hero, but that's because of his faults and defects which look large enough to take 3 movies to resolve. I think that's in contrast to Rey who resolves her internal conflict in this movie, and is so prodigious that the scope of development seem shallow in comparison.
>>
>how does shooting wamp rats in a desert give luke the ability to expertly pilot a starfighter as well as make an impossible shot without guidance

>how does a little slave boy have expert piloting skills and can also fly a starfighter with no training whatsoever

It's almost like there is some mystical energy that exists in this universe that some people are sensitive to, and it aids them...weird...
>>
>>63919620
>fixing shit that isn't broken

why
>>
>>63915458
Just tourists from other boards and sites. But theres plenty of authentic /tv/ autism driving it.
>>
>>63918877
But a lack of military was the exact reason the old republic failed
>>
>>63917050
Oh please, people were a hundred times more vicious to little ani. Hall even jake lloyd got shit for all that crap.
>>
>>63919462

Plot twist Rei is potentially better at dark side than Ren

She would have stabbed his prone body if they hadn't been separated
>>
>>63919774

If that's your view then why are you in this thread? The fact that Rey can skillfully pilot a freighter with little experience and use pretty high level force powers is broken. And in my view the idea the remnants of the empire could build Star Killer base is ridiculous.
>>
>>63919734

Ren *is* a legitimate threat. There's only a single person in the entire film who poses anything resembling a threat to him, and that's Rey, and even then she needed the macguffin weapon and for Ren to be both injured, emotionally fucked, and tired after another fight to even push him back to a draw. Everyone else is terrified of him, and for good reason.

I understand the underlying point, though. Rey is too good at everything, to the point of parody in some cases. I don't really mind it (the entire series is literally about magical chosen ones being the best in the universe at doing what they do, after all), but I think the final fight should've ended in a more equal draw, rather than Rey being in the stronger position when the ground cracked open.

I look forward to how Ren and Rey are going to develop. I have to imagine that Snoke is gonna supercharge Ren, who's also gonna be super pissed off and embarassed about getting his ass kicked by a girl, so in the second film he's gonna wreck some shit.
>>
>>63919909
And that's partially why the Resistance exists.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
>>
Am I the only who think that if the Earth didn't split, she would have killed Kylo Ren and probably turned to the dark side?
>>
>>63912402

Thank you. I thought this was fucking obvious.

She literally fought back against Ren's mind rape and turned that shit around on him. Of course she'd figure out how to do it again. Notice it took her 3 tries.

The people who need to have everything spoonfed to them and aren't capable of figuring it out on their own are probably the same people defending the Prequels.
>>
It was Anakin Skywalker, all of it ever since she touched his ligthsaber. He passed on to her the knowledge of the force. Many people did not notice this but Hayden Christiensen(?) was seen in a few frames while she fought Kylo.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.