[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it time for him to step down and let Michael Giacchino take
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: john-williams.jpg (60 KB, 694x419) Image search: [Google]
john-williams.jpg
60 KB, 694x419
Is it time for him to step down and let Michael Giacchino take the reigns?
>>
>>63905984
Rey's theme was the only thing that really stuck to me
>>
This is what most surprised me. I've never been let down by John Williams music before. I guess he is like literally like 85 though and should be long retired if not dead.

Overall the movie was pretty good, despite the soundtrack not being star wars amazing.
>>
It's sad that nothing in The Force Awakens is even as good as the new Star Trek main theme.
>>
>>63906651
Yep. Musicians, even the geniuses, only have so much in them before the well runs dry and mediocrity takes over. (see also: Paul McCartney)
>>
>>63906651
So we can confirm that they blew the ost in a fucking star wars flim flam? Wow
>>
>>63906651

It's only because it's new. It's a proven fact that people like music more the more familiar they are with it
>>
>>63905984
The thing is that Williams is used to working with Spielberg, and Lucas. JJ Abrams had no clue how to work with him, and barely any time. There is also a generation gap, and a little bitterness how the film is Di$ney-fied. The film was also not shot and cut the way it would work for a good JW score. So I would say it is not entirely his fault.
>>
>>63906026
>>63906758
Rey's theme was the only scene that was shot in the classic John Williams 'score' way, that's why it was effective. Everything else was rushed and hyper-edited, Williams had fuck all to work with.
>>
>>63906699
the new trek movies really did have great scores
>>
>>63905984
Its possible that the movie was uninspiring and he had little interest or time in scoring it. Considering almost no theme lasted for more than a minute and usually underneath talking while in PT and OT the music was at times all you heard
>>
>>63906758
that makes sense.
>>
>>63905984
They only worked on the OST for two months:
https://twitter.com/JohnBoyega/status/659471804805713920
>>
>>63906758

This. Disney or JJ either put more restraint on what his scores should sound like (no prequel-esq themes) or they just didn't know how to fully utilize him. JJ's pacing probably didn't help either.
>>
The soundtrack was serviceable, but nothing stuck out. Even the prequels had some notable songs.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.