[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OTfags will defend this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kp HK4YIwY4
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 13
File: 678568.jpg (33 KB, 843x469) Image search: [Google]
678568.jpg
33 KB, 843x469
OTfags will defend this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kpHK4YIwY4
>>
>Obi Wan is the first spinner we see in Star Wars

And it was a good trick
>>
>>63900504
>vader literally has the high ground from his point of view due to robot legs
>spinning cant beat the high ground point of view

Absolutely poetic
>>
>>63900504

so stiff and slow
>>
It's a lightsaber that actually means something. Not that fanservice-fest from the prequels
>>
How did they do the CGI without fancy computers?
>>
File: mifune.jpg (22 KB, 267x349) Image search: [Google]
mifune.jpg
22 KB, 267x349
Reminder that this badass motherfucker was originally supposed to be Obi Wan. Imagine how awesome that fight would have been.
>>
>>63901326
What the fuck is wrong with his hand?
>>
originaly the lightsabers were supposed to be wielded like heavy 2 handed swords
>>
File: 1449934824913.png (6 KB, 358x291) Image search: [Google]
1449934824913.png
6 KB, 358x291
>Fight like people who actually fight with swords
>Complain that it's boring
>>
>>63901362
He's reaching up through his robe. It was a common thing for dudes to walk around with their arms tucked in.
>>
>>63901310
Painted each frame of film individually. That's why they look so shakey and shit.
>>
>>63901558
Literally handpainted straight on the film?

I guess I don't fully understand how non digital effects work at all ,shits magic
>>
>>63901657
They modified the film frame by frame to add in the color effects, by hand yes. Photo editing has been a thing ever before digital media, but it was a much longer and more difficult process.
>>
>>63900504
It's good not because of the fight itself but, what it means. The final battle between Master and Apprentice.
>>
File: ohyou.jpg (33 KB, 400x295) Image search: [Google]
ohyou.jpg
33 KB, 400x295
>>63901809
>>
>>63900504
I don't see what's wrong...am I missing something?
>>
>>63900504

>Only a Master of evil, Darth

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>63902637
It's boring & totally calculated. But it doesn't bother me. Obi Wan is old as fuck, and so is Darth. Although later Darth does have better dueling skills in the two sequels against Luke.
>>
>>63900504
>Special Edition lightsabers
I will stick with my unofficial HD copies of the original unaltered trilogy, thank you.
>>
it was based on kendo
>>
>>63902881
Plus Vader is not in his prime while being stuck in a respirator suit and having to rely on cybernetics.
I think it was more about the meaning than the actual act of fighting, as I don't think Obi Wan had any intention of leaving the Death Star alive.
He wanted to prove something to Vader and Luke at the same time.
Vader wasn't really trying either.
>>
>>63900504
This was a great scene in OTs maybe the best for me.
>>
>>63900504
why does he disappear when hit with the lightsaber but now it seems it only scars you if you get hit?

>only a master of evil, Darth

prequel fags BTFO more like
>>
>>63901310
https://youtu.be/RIefj6dOhnM?t=4m35s
In IV, they were rotating rods with reflective tape. Set lights made them glow, and they added the color in post by inking over the physical film frames. For V and VI they stopped bothering with the rotating rods, since they were so fragile, and just did all the rotoscoping in post.

That's another part of the reason the IV fight is so slow. The rods were so fragile that they kept breaking, so the duel couldn't really have any hard hits
>>
>>63903203
not sure if they go over it but Alec Guinness came up with the name
>>
>>63902881
>Obi Wan is old as fuck
This is the stupidest excuse. I wonder, what would Lucas have said if Episodes I - III had duels like this, and Episodes IV - VI had prequel-style dueling?
>>
How the fuck did Anakin win anyway?

Seriously?

Obi kicked his ass before and suddenly Darth is stronger?

Going to the dark side doesn't make you stronger just more devious. Being old doesn't make you weaker in the force, either. If anything, it makes you more attuned to it.

If it's a straight one-on-one fight Obi should've won.

The prequels ruined everything.
>>
>>63901160
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kpHK4YIwY4
I can't believe how bad this was.
>>
>>63901657
No, just look up rotoscoping. They project each frame onto a small screen, draw over it, and then take a picture of the new frame.
>>
>>63903426
Obi got old.
Old age fucks everyone and it will fuck you too Anon.
>>
>>63903683
Yoda was old.

He didn't slow down at all when using the force. The force isn't supposed to be tied to physical ability, desu senpai.
>>
Star wars was originally more mystical than super powers. Much more beautiful that way. This scene isn't about the fight.
>>
looks fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>63900504
>that spin

Classy shit.
>>
>>63903426
He didn't lose.
>>
>>63904551
>die in a fight
>HEY GUYS IM WINNING!

Explain.
>>
>>63900504
jesus christ vader looks imposing as fuck, how he appears from fucking nowhere, p scary tbqh.
>>
>This scene isn't about the fight.
>Much more beautiful that way

holy fuck RLM shills need to kill themselves ASAP desu
>>
>>63904840
serious.
im tired of the rlm-parroting.
>>
File: ageing obi-wan statue.jpg (103 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
ageing obi-wan statue.jpg
103 KB, 900x600
Why is the character of Obi-Wan just so endearing? Even if you don't particularly like Star Wars, Obi-Wan is always that one character people love seeing/hearing about, be it through Ewan McGregor or Alec Guinness.
>>
>>63901160
It is 2 old men fighting and one is in a fucking robot suit that isnkeeping him alive. Not everything should be a flashy 20 minute fight over lava.
>>
>>63904647
Sorry, anon, you're weak with the force.
>>
>>63904551
>>63904647

He ascended. Became one with the force, the moment he realized the circle was closed, and his duty was done. He had to lose the fight, as that was the will of the force. He later appears with Qui Gon and Yoda. They all ascended to a higher existance.

Jesus Christ, anons.
>>
>>63905079
>the force is now predetermined destiny and not many possibilities

That would be THE gayest shit to yet happen to the SW universe.
>>
File: starrrworrrz.png (184 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
starrrworrrz.png
184 KB, 480x360
>>63904840
>>63904880
>Starars was originally more mystical than super powers
How is that point invalidated? Literally true.
>>
>>63905152
It is, anon. It is.
>>
>>63903426
>complains about prequels ruining everything
>declares that the dark side is not more powerful

Dark lords are more powerful, unlike the jedi where they have 300 weak minions, one is the master who holds all the power while the other sith learns and craves his power. Yoda was garbage against a sith, thus why he ran and hid.

>>63904998
>Force ghost strong
>Can only talk people to death
>>
>>63905335
Imagine being haunted by Yoda. That annoying speech pattern would just drive you to suicide eventually.
>>
Spins in his fight with Anakin in III, too.
OG Spinner
>>
>>63905155
Mystical is mysterious, spiritual, unexplained. "Super powers" or as it really is, beings more connected to the force, makes sense why some can use the force and why some are stronger in the force than others. You can still be a two year old and plug your ears and pretend everything is magic and that the force just chooses every outcome.
>>
>>63905335
That doesn't make sense.

Why would the force be shared and not deal entirely with the persons ability and experience?

Legacy SW had the Sith relationship (master/apprentice) only because of the trust issues a bunch of scheming dark jedi have. But I don't even know if that is canon anymore.
>>
>>63905489
I really enjoy that fight.
>>
>>63905408
Watch you masturbate I am
>>
>>63905544
A small penis, you have. Why you joined the dark side, it must be. Darth Vader, you'll never be. Too much of a whiny bitch, you are. Kill yourself, you ought to.
>>
I dunno if this thread is just trolling and shitposting or if the majority of /tv/eddit legitimately has 0 comprehension of anything
>>
>>63905694
You are new to this board aren't you
>>
>>63900504
>Now, I have become the master.
>Only a master of shitposting, OP
>>
>>63905518
>That doesn't make sense.

What doesn't make sense. It makes perfect sense, read Darth Bane series.

There is no "spreading of the force", A sith master is generations of knowledge passed downed, being honed over a millennia. When there was mass amounts of trainees, people fighting over power, it wasn't as focused or centralized. By eliminating all the sith, Darth Bane was able to take complete control of the sith order and unleash true power.

Think of it this way, taking the bureaucratic government and getting rid of everyone, turning it into a one man dictator ship. Shit gets done. Also the jedi are arrogant, this made them weak. Sidious literally was able to hid right in front of the jedi council, and they were blinded by the dark side.
>>
>>63905694
>comprehension
If we had that we'd be /lit/. On second thought /lit/ doesn't have much of that either.
>>
>>63903452
its also 40 years old, faggot
>>
>>63903203
>He keeps calling it a lasersword
Christ Lucas.
>>
>>63904935
he's a quiet man, knowledgeable, you can tell he will always try to do the right thing
>>
>>63905787
But knowledge doesn't work like command and control (which you should want centralized).

If I trained 14 special forces operative or one using the same curriculum I'd just have 14 of them instead of one. Not 14 mediocre ones and one unique badass.

It's silly and outdated.
>>
>>63905694

Im not even really a star wars fan but reading all these star wars threads makes me cringe at the lack of comprehension most people have of the star wars movies
>>
Yo does anyone know how to watch a version of the OT without all the shit Lucas added in. Fuck that "despecialized edition where you need to download x file" is there a link somewhere.
>>
File: the neck.jpg (91 KB, 412x594) Image search: [Google]
the neck.jpg
91 KB, 412x594
>>63905844

Lucas has always done that, which to me is only more proof of how detached he is from the series and still clings to his own interpretations of Star Wars as HE thinks it should be.

Other notable mentions I've personally come across is Gungans as "Gungas", Ewoks as just "bears" and I remember him pronouncing Hoth with what I can only describe as a Greek O, so it's pronounced more like "Hoeth." If there's an actual name for what that is, I don't know it.
>>
>>63901160
It's supposed to be like a samurai duel. Go watch Kurosawa.
>>
File: 1435213983737.jpg (44 KB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
1435213983737.jpg
44 KB, 400x320
>OT discussion with /tv/
>can't tell what's genuine and what isn't
>>
>>63906282
60-40
>>
>>63901809

This, and they both know how the fight will end, its ceremony by this point.
>>
File: 1427854304198.jpg (69 KB, 616x526) Image search: [Google]
1427854304198.jpg
69 KB, 616x526
>>63904840
>website creates a film analysis that is incredibly accurate
>those observations are forever dubbed parroting despite how true or accurate they are
Definition of shitposting. Ignoring the actual intentions of the original film makers in some vain attempt to be a contrarian

Jedi's were meant to be space samurais. This was essentially a slow samurai duel. Prequel shills need to kill themselves
>>
>>63905978
>It's silly and outdated.

And yet the Jedi are weak and the sith were weak when they had hundreds. You don't understand how the sith work best, in the shadows and the least amount of competition. They HUNGER to be the most powerful, they are greedy, they are ruthless killers, they BACKSTAB each other all the time. Even under the rule of 2 they still backstab. You really think you can build a stronger sith army with tens of guys with these traits? No, you literally are just spouting out bullshit with no knowledge of SW. They build massive networks and wealth where they can get any information they need, hire any bounty hunter or service. It has been proving over that the Rule of Two produces the strongest sith, one to hold all the power and one to crave it.

Look how the council held anakin back because of politics, he became much more powerful once he joined sidious.
>>
File: 1441925281259.jpg (36 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
1441925281259.jpg
36 KB, 576x432
>RLM makes those reviews
>any attempts to call the prequels bad are called parroting
Is everyone on this board below the age of 18? I was 19 when the Phantom Menace came out and people were walking out during the movie. There was an outcry of how bad it was when it came out, way before those Plinkett reviews were even a thought

The idea that people hating those awful movies is some epic maymay is pure delusion
>>
>>63906420
>Jedi's were meant to be space samurais.
>being this delusional

You really can't get over the fact that SW evolved into a HUGE universe with untold amounts of stories and you want everything to be based of 3 fucking movies? Fuck off nigger.
>>
>>63906506
You gave an explanation for why the sith are weak but no reason it should apply to the jedi who are working together and pooling their knowledge.

So your argument is flawed. Furthermore, the sith KEEP LOSING. At some point you'd think they'd change up their tactics?

Maybe if Darth Vader had a competitor to Palpatine's throne the Empire wouldn't have fell apart so spectacularly when they both were dead?

Clearly something isn't work for all the great power the Sith keep concentrating...
>>
>>63906515

is it really that bad

it came out when i was 5 years old and havent watched it in years, but i remember liking it. but that might have been because i was a retarded babby that just liked lightsabers
>>
>>63906676
>havent watched it in years
Then maybe you should watch it again before coming into conversations about it. It really is bad. It commits the ultimate sin a movie can make, being boring.

My daughter doesn't even like it and she's 6
>>
>>63906629
I don't think the Sith care about their collective failure. They just care about individual victory and power.
>>
File: KananandVader.webm (1005 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
KananandVader.webm
1005 KB, 1280x720
>>63901160
I liked it in line with the rest of Star Wars just because they played it at how reserved both of them were. It's not like these 2 men are attempting and failing at acrobatics, they're just in a very traditional sword fight looking for an opening.

Later media with Vader tends to still show him just as clunky but with overwhelming power. Not something that out of line with that scene.
>>
>>63906629
Look FUCKING learn to read, your original comment that I was pointing out was wrong.

>Going to the dark side doesn't make you stronger just more devious.

I laid out why the were more powerful. If you watched the movies you would see the bureaucracy within the jedi council weakling them which you ignored. You also ignore the fact the Jedi were more peaceful, thus not in practice as much. Sitting around meditating does not make you more powerful. The reason the Jedi and Sith in knights of the old republic were so strong, literally fighting every fucking day. There were battle meditations for a whole fucking fleet. You do not get that by sitting in a room on a soft pillow, rubbing each other cocks.

>the sith KEEP LOSING

Are you picking certain period, because I would say the Sith Won for a time, they literally killed almost all the jedi and ruled the galaxy for a while. You HAVE ZERO KNOWLEDGE OF SW universe, shut the fuck up.

>Darth Vader had a competitor

And just like sidious, he had secret apprentices too.

>Clearly something isn't work for all the great power the Sith keep concentrating...

It actually works really great, one man took complete control of the galxay and eliminated almost all sith. Even after he was dethroned in episode 6, he came back even more powerful. Also the Empire continues to rule and dominate the galaxy through out the history of Star Wars. The sith rule for some time, the Jedi rule for some time.

If we go by your flawed logic, the jedi need to rethink their training because it does not work either. You literally contradicting yourself.
>>
>>63906870
Exactly
>>
>>63903003

They did nothing to the lightsabers, this is how it has always been.
>>
>>63906917
You know, Disney has made some questionable decisions since buying Star Wars, but one thing I do appreciate is all the time and effort they've put into rehabilitating Darth Vader after Lucas spent three movies turning him into a bitch.
>>
>>63906917
I think Rebels handled Vader pretty well. He still looks slow and stiff but still powerful and skilled.
>>
>>63906976
You seem mad, friend.

All I'm saying is that the sith continue to be proven to be weaker (obi killing maul, anakin killing doku, anakin killing palpatine, rey beating kylo, etc.).

These are facts.
>>
>>63900504
newfags won't get this
>>
>>63900504
Only little kids and ADD manchildren prefer flippy bullshit memes to an actual meaningful fight like this one.
>>
>>63907250
not the same poster but you are fucking retarded. The jedi lost to the sith in ROTS. How do the sith keep losing?

>obi killing maul
what about maul killing qui-gon?

>anakin killing palpatine
palpatine killed mace and other members of the counsel. He shit on yoda too

the movies always end with the jedi winning the conflict because it wraps up the movie. Who the fuck would want to see a movie where Luke gets to vader and sidious and dies immediately?
>>
>>63907091
Wrong. Lightsabers were changed in the movies in 1997, and then in 2004/2011. This scene didn't escape Lucas' revisionism.
>>
>>63907582
Whether or not you like it because MUH MOVIE PLOT it's still the reality of the SW universe.

The Jedi are stronger and keep winning. The Sith keep doing the same thing and expecting different results (scheming, conspiring, power hoarding, etc.).

Lightside always wins, m8.
>>
>>63907396
>meaningful fight like this one.
no.
>>
>>63907125

Disney Knows hoe to keep franchise alive comrade, sometimes by force alone
>>
File: 1447193008.gif (15 KB, 340x420) Image search: [Google]
1447193008.gif
15 KB, 340x420
This was a verbal duel with lightsabers thrown in. Not a Paul Greengrass shakycam fight with the same amount of emotional weight as an MTV music video.
>>
>>63900504

I mean, it was pretty terrible, but it was the fucking 70s dude.

The movie itself had more charm than all of the prequels combined.
>>
>>63907755
>charm
That's just a euphemism for kitsch.
>>
>>63907790

beep boop, I. am. a. perfect. logical. robot. with. no. unnecessary. human. emotion. beep boop.
>>
File: where do you think we are.png (651 KB, 1067x800) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we are.png
651 KB, 1067x800
>>63907833
>>
>>63901326
What. Really?
>>
>>63906917
Why did he throw him he could have chopped him in half
>>
>>63908872

can't show that on christian television
>>
>>63906917

>Dose simple motions to deflect his attack
>Dat raw strength as Vader picks him up and tosses him like a ragdoll

P fugn gud desu senpai. That's the clone wars cgi cartoon isn't it? Maybe I should check it out.
>>
>>63909123
It's Star Wars Rebels, which I've heard hardly compares to The Clone Wars, probably since it's TCW being regurgitated by Disney
>>
>>63905152
>the force is now predetermined destiny and not many possibilities
>That would be THE gayest shit to yet happen to the SW universe.

You'd love Knights of the Old Republic 2 then.
>>
>>63906204
George Lucas doesn't spend every waking hour thinking about all the details of Star Wars like nerds do. He lives his life.
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.