[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Regardless of your general opinion of Star Wars, we're all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 6
Regardless of your general opinion of Star Wars, we're all in agreement that The Force Awakens is a.) better than all three prequels, and b.) as good as, if not better than Return of the Jedi, right?
>>
>>63897626
Almost as good as ROTJ.
>>
No its just as garbage as the prequels.

The same issue that plagued J.J. Abrams' Star Trek films plagues this one: it feels less like a legitimate installment in the franchise and more like a generic action movie with a famous brand name slapped onto it. Plus, it's essentially a remake of the 1977 original, with many plot elements from it (along with The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi) recycled practically verbatim. None of the new characters stand out as particularly memorable or capable of carrying this new trilogy, the action is glossy with X-wing/TIE fighter battles that are headache-inducing to follow, the humor and references are forced, and even John Williams' score is basically wallpaper most of the time.
>>
Yes.
>>
>>63897735
Spot on, but also to add:

It's a safely made, accessible product that was once an art form, Disneyfied manufactured for the masses. It only serves enough to entertain, not push any boundaries, and relies on surface Star Wars elements.
>>
>>63897626
This movie gave me ADD

>Alright raiding village
>Alright Now we're in a prison escape
>alright now we're in a crash landing
>We're in brawl in the middle of the street
>Now we're running from the empire
>Now we're flying a ship and attacking back
>Now the ship be breaking
>Now Kylo's being informed... No action lets make him have an autism attack

All of that within 25 minutes

And that's the entire fucking movie

I mean say what you want about the prequels but they had a theme and morals to them along with experimenting with the latest technologies during the day. It wasn't nonstop action it gave time for the characters to interact and grow.

This is a B movie wearing an A movies skin
>>
This movie has no ewoks, the romance between han solo and leia followed up better, both space fights were kind of meh and just blowing up the 2nd/3rd death star, but ROTJ had the better end fight sequence and death scene. I consider them tied.

What are the prequels people keep talking about?
>>
Not as good as any of the original trilogy. Easily better than I and II. On-par with III.
>>
>>63897626

Yes
ignore the memeing
>>
Hey guys what if when we see Snoke in person, it turns out he is Yoda's height?
>>
>>63897626
>better than jedi
no
>better than the prequels
yes, although that isn't hard to do
>>
It's an objective 6/10, so yes, on par with Return of the Jedi
>>
>>63897879
>What are the prequels people keep talking about?
The movies you were told to dislike in the early 2010s because of social media memes and how TBBT made it "cool" for children like you to think Star Wars was "good"
>>
>>63897626
Better than episodes 1 and 2. I'd put it on a similar level to 3, both are decent but have stupid shit in them.
>>
>>63897626
TFA is shit.

It can't even surpass the prequels let alone RoTJ.

It will rot in the trashbin of Star Wars history as derivative JJ drivel.
>>
Hell yes. My rank is.

>1. Empire Strikes Back
>2. Star Wars
>3. The Force Awakens
>4. Return of the Jedi
>5. Revenge of the Sith
>9000. Phantom Menace
>9001. Attack of the Clones
>>
File: 1357210741498.jpg (24 KB, 181x254) Image search: [Google]
1357210741498.jpg
24 KB, 181x254
Why is it good? Explain in great detail and show me you're not just some mongoloid that is on par with people that think movies like Trainwreck are good

I don't care for the prequels btw
>>
No. It was shit. Being better than the prequels is a god fucking awful argument and it's hilarious that TFA apologists are using that as a defense. It was the most formulaic, uninspired, boring piece of shit in a while. If it wasn't "Star Wars" it would be universally panned. Hell, Ep.I was a piece of shit, but at least it had Pod Racing, Darth Maul duel and Duel of the Fates. TFW didn't have anything remotely close to those two things.

>IV=V, VI=III. who gives a shit I, II or VII.

I like Star Wars movies. The fanbase, media hype and cult surrounding it makes it hard to talk about though so that sucks. I should work on separating all that shit and just enjoying them for what they are.
>>
Better than all 3 prequels, sure.

I think generally it's on par with ROTJ, but the vader/Luke fight in ROTJ blows anything in TFA out of the water, and consequently I'd rate ROTJ slightly higher.
>>
>>63898098

> Pod Racing, Darth Maul duel and Duel of the Fates

Those first 2 weren't really that good.
>>
>>63898099
This. You got it. No scene in TFA comes close to the final Vader/Luke fight.
>>
Return of the Jedi has become my favorite of the original trilogy. So underrated. I don't get the hate for the ewoks, the confrontation between Luke and Darth is so emotional and even Leia isn't as annoying as in IV and V.
>>
>>63898238
Podracing had some good visuals and amazing audio design. You can't possibly deny that. Darth Maul duel was entertaining and better than the lightsbaber fights in TFA and at least it had the balls to kill of Qui-Gon. Fin gets his slice spined, but plot armor keeps him alive. It's bullshit. Literally no reason to have Finn and Kylo duel except to throw the audience off, but it was obvious as shit he was never a Jedi and Rey was.
>>
it is better than the prequels but then again I'd rather be kicked in the balls than watch the prequels since thats over faster and not as painful in the long run

not sure why people diss RotJ so much, the sequence with Hutt is badass and the ending is a classic, only bit that's lame is the ewoks need to fuck off
>>
No.

Anyone who actually thinks this had been fucking brainwashed by Disney shill reviews.
>>
>>63897626

Absolutely.

I really enjoyed it
>>
>>63897626
I can, agree yes.
Also Rey > Padme
>>63897825
>safely made
>Harrison Ford got injured on set
Oh wait you mean financially.
>>
>>63898489
Financially and creatively.
>>
>>63897999
Spot on
>>
No. An ambitious failure is better than a lazy winner.
>>
>>63897960

Get the fuck outta town, the prequels were always bad. They sucked when they came out and they continue to suck, for eternity.

Wait, you don't actually like those fucking movies right?

You do! You like the fucking prequels! Holy hot dicks from hell, man. How old are you?

Opinion discarded
>>
>>63897999

This is absolutely correct
>>
>>63898099
>>63898306

It's a bit of an unfair example considering that fight was a culmination of 3 movies worth of development and this is the first movie of a trilogy.
>>
>>63897999
Would that i could upvote good sir!
>>
File: 02 Flash Gordon Chapter 2.png (169 KB, 473x312) Image search: [Google]
02 Flash Gordon Chapter 2.png
169 KB, 473x312
>>63897858
Sounds like every Star Wars movie, dude. Lots of shit happens, they go all over the place.
>This is a B movie wearing an A movies skin
THAT IS THE EXACT PREMISE OF STAR WARS
>>
>>63898059
As expected
>>
A) yes, by far
B) no, but this is subjective and I can respect the opinions of others
>>
>>63898324

I don't get it either. How are they worse than any other SW aliens? People got mad about them beating stormtroopers. Well yeah, they had knowledge of the land and guerilla tactics and shit. Kinda like the ragtag American colonists whoopin' the British redcoats in the American Revolution. It's not hard to believe at all
>>
>$517m worldwide

>>
>>63897626
Yes.
>>
>>63897960

you have to be mad underage to think this

I knew the prequels were shit when I was 8 and saw TPM in cinemas and said "the only bit I liked was the fight at the end"
>>
File: yes.jpg (45 KB, 468x484) Image search: [Google]
yes.jpg
45 KB, 468x484
>>63898804
>>
No, the original trilogy is like a great band at their peak. They're making hits, feeling it. They fall away a bit at the end, trying too hard to sound like themselves, but it's what everyone remembers.

The prequels are like their weird period of experimenting with orchestras and world music and big concepts they can't quite keep contained in the realm of the pop song.

This is like a cover band made up of mediocre musicians playing their greatest hits competently but soullessly in an order that robs them of any context or meaning.
>>
>>63898882
The first two lines are astute.

The last line you drop the ball.
>>
>>63897626
It's better than episode 2 at least.
>>
>>63897626
no, it's mass produced disney shit. worse than episode III because at least episode III wasn't written off a list of check boxes provided by disney
>>
>>63898780
I don't remember that being an easy fight for the ewoks either, they had rebel help and they still got slaughtered en masse, I literally remember tons of the buggers getting tossed by blaster bolts, and countless more dying in explosions.
Not enough gungans died in The phantom (pain) menace in comparison
>>
>>63898975
If you believe this committee run sequel has soul then please do consider going back to whatever board it is you've come from for this movie.
>>
>>63899062
It has somewhat of a soul but is downgraded in quality thanks to Disneyfied manufacturing.
>>
>>63899034
I thought Lucas was still being used as an advisor for these films
>>
>>63897626
nice bait, now back to your middle class piece of shit life.
>>
>>63899110
Disney doesn't manufacture souls, it makes dreams, and it makes those dreams come true
>>
>>63897735
>>63897689
>>63897825
>>63897960
>>63897989
What's up Max Landis?
>>
>>63897735
This is how I long felt about his treatment to Trek and vowed, after ID, not to give any new Trek or Abrams, my money. I care about my happiness. Looks like I'm skipping this trilogy.
>>
>>63897626
I don't really know how to feel about it yet. And I've seen it twice now. I know it doesn't make me roll my eyes like the prequels do so I think they're better then them. I just can't decide how it stacks up against the originals

There were a lot of preemptive complaints about how the movie would end up feeling mass produced but so far for me the biggest problem is really that it feels too much like an Abrams movie.
>>
>>63897626
Went back to the original trilogy, and I honestly found 90% of the Ewok sections just unwatchable. Fuck Jedi.
>>
>>63897735
you have no idea what Star Trek is.
>>
>>63897626
Its a decent movie for the modern age. it moves way too fast, has very little character progression, has very little characterization, is a soft reboot of star wars, and is made for the children of today while also trying to appease the fans of the OT. Its very safe, its very predictable, and its very jumbled. The regular population will eat it up though because theyll all say lol better than the prequels. I for one think the humor was out of place, i didnt like the characters, the nostalgia pandering was too much, the acting was pretty bad, the characters became best friends way too quick, and it had a rushed ending. 8/10 for normies, 5/10 for people who give a shit about the franchise
>>
>>63897626
No
>>
NO WAY FORCE AWAKENS WAS HORRIBLE

i fucking hated it

in the theater people were applauding and wooping this terrible rehash cashgrab. I was visibly shaking and on verge of tears by the last 20 minutes of the film, i felt like screaming and pulling my hair out but i was just muttering "this is reddit, this is memes, this is videogames, this is memes" under my breath.
>>
>>63899390
Almost accurate but it was still a good film, it was just Disney's version of Star Wars.

Every movie from now on is going to be just good enough to sell tickets to the masses and continue to make money off of merchandise.
>>
>>63899479
>it's a good movie

If boring retread sequels that don't do anything new get panned than so should TFA. It's not an awful, unwatchable movie, but it is a bad movie.
>>
>>63897626
V>IV>VI>III>VII>1>2
>>
File: 1446011283174-1.png (358 KB, 1920x815) Image search: [Google]
1446011283174-1.png
358 KB, 1920x815
>>63897735
For you
>>
>>63899447
its funny absolutely no one in my theater clapped or applauded the film. the only sound i heard from the audience was this dude near me going ohhh at certain parts
>>
Did John Williams even try? I don't remember a single piece of music.

Ep. I had this, https://youtu.be/qzVBqBosf5w

Ep. II had this https://youtu.be/9nk_WHHTQtY

Ep. III had this https://youtu.be/awgAzxysyu0

One of the few things I was actually hyped about was the music and it couldn't deliver on that.
>>
TFA is a reddit movie. At best it is on par with the worst of the prequels.
>>
>>63899904

Rey's Theme is memorable.

Uh, I mean, John Williams is a washed up hack who should be put in a home.
>>
>>63897735
>None of the new characters stand out as particularly memorable or capable of carrying this new trilogy
Nah I disagree with this. Poe is written so strongly I was pretty sure they had actually killed him off just because of how much he outshines every other character.

Rey needs a little bit of tweeking but as of the end of the movie I consider her to have as much character a Luke had at the end of New Hope

I don't really hate Finn but he needs work.
>>
nope, infact it's worse than any of the previous star wars movies

thanks for forcing the same opinion again though, +10 cents

>G-GUYS COME OOOOOOOONNNNN JUST SAY ITS BETTER THAN THE P-P-PREQUELS HAHA THOSE PESKY PREQUELS

literally reddit tier
>>
I wish I would have bet somebody money when I kept saying that /tv/ would be saying the prequels were better than VII a year ago when they hadn't even released a trailer.

Somebody please give me money for my average foresight.
>>
>I didn't like the movie because it was too safe.

Can someone who has this opinion elaborate on what that means, specifically? I legitimately don't understand what this means.

When a movie is part of a series, the audience has certain expectations based on what has already happened in the series. I don't get how it's a bad thing when a movie attempts to follow through on those expectations. That's not pandering, it's not a cash grab, and it's not the movie being lazy. That's the movie doing it's fucking job. Why would you expect the movie to do anything different?
>>
>>63897626
a.) maybe, Ewan McDonald and Ian mcdrimant still make 3 fairly watchable
B.) not even close, and I actually enjoyed TFA
>>
>>63899904
Yeah this. Imagine if it was actually memorable, it would make the film even better, I'd actually consider it to be better or equal to ROTJ.
>>
>>63897626
About as good as ROTJ
>>
>>63899904
Music was pretty bland, i was expecting a rehashed imperial march but didnt get it. only good part of the OST was Snokes theme too bad they stole that from episode three and pretty much said snoke is plagueis
>>
>>63900152
>Can someone who has this opinion elaborate on what that means, specifically?
It basically means there was too much rehashing in it.

People wanted the same thing, just new. This is very hard to do. Either you fuck up and you make something new that no one really likes (prequels) or you fuck up and make something very similar but no one likes it since it's so similar (TFA).
You have to balance it. Give them what they want, yet at the same time give them what they never knew they wanted.
>>
>>63898610
>>63898840
stay triggered, hes right and probably describing you
>>
>>63900040
Tell that to Kanjiklub
>>
>>63899904
The ony songs that are memorable or stand out in the movie are the rehashed ones, which is a shame. every movie had something really good or memorable, but not this one.
>>
>>63897626
>a.
No. Revenge of the Sith is better.
>b.
No. Return of the Jedi is better.

It's better than I and II, at least, but it's still not a good film.
>>
This was a middle of the road movie that everyone wants to love. I'm seeing a lot of the same self convincing going on that I witnessed with the prequels.
>>
File: Darth_Maul.png (135 KB, 275x367) Image search: [Google]
Darth_Maul.png
135 KB, 275x367
>>63897999

As someone who grew up liking these movies, can someone tell me why the episode 1 gets so much hate? Without the le annoying jar jar argument
>>
>>63898581
>>63898644
>>63898687

EAT SHIT AND DIE SAMING FAGGOT
>>
>>63897626

No
>>
>>63900547
>grew up liking these movies
underage b8
>>
>>63897999
Hello, I am also from reddit. How do I upvote you?
>>
>>63897735
Worderino Famillino
>>
>>63898882
Good analogy gonna steal it
>>
>>63897735
This is exactly what it felt like.

I just saw the movie and I was disappointed when it finished. It felt like any other action movie and was predictable as fuck.

Call the prequels shit if you want, but at least they felt like Star Wars movies.
>>
>>63900547

time to familiarise yourself with the plinkett argument, most of /tv/ blindly agree with him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI
>>
>>63898694
Underrated post
>>
no, not better than 6
>>
>>63900590
>A movie that came out 16 years ago
>underage

Sure
>>
>>63900547
It has no protagonist. It relies too heavily on CGI. The acting was terrible from most of the actors. The pod racing looked stupid. And there was too much talking and barely any action. The only good action sequence was the Maul fight.
>>
>>63901837
What the hell do people have against Return of the Jedi? Everyone seems to rank The Force Awakens and even Revenge of the Sith higher. What's wrong with it? Was it the ewoks?
>>
>>63902267
whoops i meant to say not better than 3 (ROTS) 6 is dog shit m8 (ROTJ). Every scene is torture. Jabbas palace, the Ewoks, the fucking dancing scene at the end holy shit its just bad barely a step above 1 and 2
>>
>>63898694
Pretty much
>>
>>63897735
nice meme
>>
>>63897626
Actually, yes.
>>
>>63897626
no
>>
>>63897825
>The OT "pushed" boundaries

There is a Japanese director rolling in his grave.
>>
>>63897626

Yeah, this is pretty accurate.
>>
>>63897626
Nope.
>>
>>63897626
Episode 2 was beetter, especially given the added depth and context of the clone wars series.
>>
>>63897626
>better than all three prequels
Yes
>as good as, if not better than Return of the Jedi
No
>>
>>63900547
>pod racing
>immaculate mary sue (aka anakin)
>generator plot device
jar jar binks

I'm probably forgetting alot of other shit but I last watched it 16 years ago.
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.