[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Criterion on Hulu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: 1448035639455.jpg (539 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
1448035639455.jpg
539 KB, 1000x1500
What do you faggots watch from the Criterion Collection on Hulu. I have access to an account and want to watch some top shelf cinema commercial free. What should I watch? This board is full of patrician cinephiles so this thread should be full of knowledgeable posts by people who have a genuine love of the cinema.
>>
watch everything by Kieslowski Da God
>>
>>63892627
I've seen Three Colors and Veronique, and The Decalogue, should I watch A short film about love if i've already seen the condensed version from the Decalogue?
>>
File: dr-zaius2a.jpg (42 KB, 250x333) Image search: [Google]
dr-zaius2a.jpg
42 KB, 250x333
>>63892688
I don't know
>>
File: rome-open-city.jpg (13 KB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
rome-open-city.jpg
13 KB, 448x252
>>63892963
>I don't know
I appreciate the honesty, if not the usefulness of the reply.
I decided to watch Kwaidan (1965) by Masaki Kobayashi. Have you seen that or his other films like Hara Kiri or the Human Condition Trilogy? Both of those were excellent.
>>
Bump for discussion unrelated to star wars
>>
Polite bump because it's not /sw/, yet.
>>
Reported for not being Star Wars
>>
>>63892688
Watch everything by Kieslowski, especially the movies he made in Poland.
>>
>>63892563
good film
>>
A Man Escaped
Bed and Board
Shoot the Piano Player
Sisters
L'Avventura
Solaris
Branded to Kill
La jetée
>>
File: 1448037961142.jpg (123 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
1448037961142.jpg
123 KB, 480x720
>>63894790
>A man escaped
Seen it
>Bed and board
Haven't, will see it.
>Shoot the Piano Player
>Haven't, will see it.
>Sisters
>Haven't will see it.
>L'avventura
>Solaris
>Branded to Kill
>La Jetée
Seen all these, loved La Jetée. Loved the Tarkovsky refrence in San Soliel. Solaris is deserving of a rewatch but I just watched Nostalghia so I'm resting Tarkovsky a bit.
>>
>>63894790
Can someone explain to me what's the appeal of Tarkovsky? (I've seen all of his movies, BTW).
>>
>>63895079
Tarkovsky to me is the epitome of an artist making the most of his medium. He knew visual language of cinema so well he could do more than just speak the language: he could express himself poetically. He was a master of mise en scene. His tight control over everything in his frame makes his work stand apart from others because of the sheer beauty of his images. His philosophical dialog could be, well, it could have been more lively but he was a poet of visual imagery, not the best at writing punchy talking scenes.
>>
File: 4102A8XWBEL.jpg (27 KB, 335x475) Image search: [Google]
4102A8XWBEL.jpg
27 KB, 335x475
The Leopard.

It's long and very slow throughout most of it, but it's one of the movies that you don't think much of when it ends, but it sticks with you and you'll still remember it years later.
>>
>>63895395
I guess I'l have to rewatch. I enjoyed his work and his movies have stayed with me, so I guess he left some trace.
>>
File: Russiantroops_1477253c.jpg (35 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
Russiantroops_1477253c.jpg
35 KB, 460x288
>>63895481
Thanks for the recommendation, comrade.
>>
>>63895536
Yeah his films are just so pretty to look at they are worth giving a second look. If I were you I would look into the visual traditions that exist in painting and photography to get a sense of the elements that Tarkovsky is playing around with in him images. When you understand the building blocks and then see how he was able to mix them together into new ways of expressing ideas, his impact filmmaking become more clear. He is talked about here quite frequently so you'll hear a lot of haters say some things, but his work isn't "overrated" in any way.
>>
They have the entire collection on Hulu?
>>
>>63896908
About 900 films from the collection, so not complete but fairly substantial selection.
>>
>>63895079
I think Tarkovsky utilized an aesthetic that can be compared to the poetic movement of Imagism. He certainly disliked the semiotic conceptual approach to visual theory, focusing more on the surface itself - a sentiment shared by his idol Bresson. Only the pictures that were captured and projected were the primary means of expression, without any "deeper" meaning attached to them, and they were rendered with painstakingly minimalist techniques. Thus all that remained on screen, be it the shot of the throbbing temple of the soldier-instructor in The Mirror or the mysterious and exhausting pool crossing in Nostalghia, was the image - pure, poetic and transcendentally powerful.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.