[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are people getting so triggered that Rey is a Mary Sue?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: ReyHS-Fathead.png (351 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
ReyHS-Fathead.png
351 KB, 450x600
Why are people getting so triggered that Rey is a Mary Sue?
the entire final act literally proves she's a Mary Sue
>>
>>63885207
Its a children's movie. Who cares?
>>
>>63885319
Then why are there threads being left up about it if this is an 18+ site?
Or do you think blue board means you can post here?
>>
>>63885364
Manchild detected.
>>
>>63885410
So you admit you're the latter then?
>>
Why did she close her eyes there and knew how jedi mind tricks are done?
Maybe in some deleted scenes she tells Finn or Han the stories she heard about force stuff, still we dont see any of that.
No explanation for why Leia hug her (someone she's never met before) instead of fucking Chewbacca either.
>>
I keep hearing the term "Mary Sue" used to describe Rey, but this isn't correct. A "Mary Sue" is an author self-insert into a story. It's not a supposedly "perfect" character with whom the audience member identifies.

I brought this up the other day here, and I used Luke Skywalker as an example: Luke was the small-town farmboy who dreamed of going away into space and becoming a space-knight ---and eventually being trusted with a spaceship to blow up the Evil Ultimate Weapon and win the princess. Luke didn't make a lot of mistakes either, and showed a weird prescience for succeeding at whatever. He was no Mary Sue.

...And neither is Rey.
>>
>>63885410
You sound pretty childish desu. I don't even like star wars.
>>
>>63886012
actually its both, a Mary Sue is a self insert character but over the years the phrase turned into people who are perfect in every way and save the day through extraordinary abilities.
>>
>>63886012
also Luke isn't a good example of a Gary Sue, in the first movie he's in (IV) he fails to save his family, fails to save Ben, without Han or Wedge he wouldn't have blown up the death star. and this goes on for V and VI, infact in nearly every fight he fails to do a lot of things to the point where his own father saves him
>>
>>63886012
Are you retarded? Luke is fucking terrible at everything until the last movie. He learns over time through training and overcoming adversity.

Rey closes her eyes and instantly is a Jedi Master capable of taking down a Sith Apprentice who already has years of training.

At the moment, she's a terrible character. Hopefully she gets better in 8 and 9 because I do want to like her but she's so boring.
>>
>>63886012

Luke is constantly failing and has to rely on others to bail him out. It also took time for him to get powerful enough to confront Vader and EVEN THEN he would've been killed if not for a lasr minute change of heart.

Then you have Rey dont-even-hold-my-hand Stu here, who literally cannot do wrong in this movie and excels at everything even though she lived alone in the desert apparently.
>>
>>63886012
>I brought this up the other day here, and I used Luke Skywalker as an example:

Ok, let's look at Luke:

>spends the opening minutes whining to his aunt and uncle (while Leia is off being a badass)
>nearly gets killed by Sand People, saved by Obi-Wan
>nearly gets killed at the bar, saved by Obi-Wan
>is so useless that Obi-Wan tells him "stay here while I go off and save the day"
>nearly gets killed on the Death Star, saved by Leia
>is about to be killed in the final space battle, saved by Han
>is about to miss the final shot, Obi-Wan tells him to use the Force

And that's just in Episode IV! The only thing that Luke is any good at is flying, and that's because he's spent literally years practicing and dreams of becoming a pilot. If Rey was as incompetent as Luke, and was saved repeatedly by an old white man and a badass prince, people would be calling JJ Abrams a sexist for writing such a weak character.
>>
> le Rey stinks

TFA is edited too abruptly for the 1st view. 2nd view it makes more sense.

Anyone who doesn't realize the reason Rey knows the Falcon so well is because she worked to repair it for the guy who stole it is just a dunce.

If you pay attention to Ridley's acting in the prison, she is very unsure her mind trick will work. It's an act of desperation that, after Han confirming the old stories and her Force vision, she decides to try.

She'd be dead if not for Finn duelling Kylo after she FAILED to shoot him and got knocked out instead. Then? The saber chooses her over him. Kylo drives her back and she runs. She was LOSING and on the literal edge of death when she had her "Luke, use the Force" moment to turn the tide.

That's it. You whiners got your panties wadded up because you're closet MRAs. Calling Rey a full blown Mary Sue instead of just a typical Skywalker is a thin fleece of words drawn over a too-fragile ego.
>>
The only skill that I can buy that Rey has that doesn't really need to be explained, is here knack for ships and maintenence. I mean she's been stripping parts from a destroyer and likely other ships I can buy her being able to get the hang of that stuff quickly. Her knowing more about the MF then Han and Chewie though, Fuck that shit. Her being able to best a fucking Sith Apprentice by closing her eyes, Fuck that shit.
>>
Hating Finn has worn out, it's Rey's turn now. Next week it'll move on to Poe or Kylo.
>>
>>63885207

I think she was okay. People who are getting triggered by her Sueness are just as bad as those tumblrites who froth over muh equality. Also, Finn is a fucking waste of space.
>>
>>63886725
>this again
you do know that a character can be a Mary Sue and still be a good character? example James Bond. you're the problem with this whole thing
>>
>>63886766

Rey knows the Falcon because she worked on it on Jakku. It's obvious from everything she knows about it.

> compressor on the line

She criticized it as a design decision, then reminded Han when it created problems, then bypassed it. How? She installed it.

> "gunner station's down there"

How did she know? She'd been on that ship and knew it well.

> "It's garbage"

How did she know? She'd been on it before to work on it.

If you really can't see these things without a blatant, overbearing line of dialog saying it exactly, well, I pity you.
>>
>>63886285
Rey fails to save Finn from Kylo, without Han she'd basically just go back to Jakku, and Kylo is able to take her prisoner when he isn't shot.
>>
>>63886725
>Anyone who doesn't realize the reason Rey knows the Falcon so well is because she worked to repair it for the guy who stole it is just a dunce.

Oh really? When did it every establish that she was anything more then a scavenger. All they had to do was have a scene of her doing a job for the guy then I could by this but that's where good writing comes into play.

>If you pay attention to Ridley's acting in the prison, she is very unsure her mind trick will work. It's an act of desperation that, after Han confirming the old stories and her Force vision, she decides to try.

It shouldn't have worked in the first place. It's been established in the OT that it takes years of training to master the force. Someone that literally just found out about the force 12 hours ago should not be able to pull that off. It's plot armor. A better resolution would have been to utilize her mechanical knowledge to escape.

>She'd be dead if not for Finn duelling Kylo after she FAILED to shoot him and got knocked out instead. Then? The saber chooses her over him. Kylo drives her back and she runs. She was LOSING and on the literal edge of death when she had her "Luke, use the Force" moment to turn the tide.

The Saber choosing her over Ren, I can buy, especially since it's Luke's saber and since she's force sensitive I can see that working. The fact that she's able to best Kylo even at 60% strength is pretty stupid. I can agree with her being able to admirable defend herself but the fact that she just closes her eyes for ten seconds and all of a sudden is a fucking swordmaster is stupid and a cop out by the writers.
>>
>>63887172
My problem isn't that. My problem is that it isn't ever mentioned that she's anything more then a scavenger. It's similar to TDKR when Batman is able to just get back into Gotham with no explanation at all. You just need one line of dialogue and it improves everything.

Especially with what you just said. It makes the subtle dialogue work.
>>
CAN SOMEONE FUCKING TELL ME

Why is Leia's and Han's son FUCKING BRITISH?

>Come home son
>>Bloody ell I ant doin it. I'm a bloody sith and it's been too many bongs for me to go back now isn't it?
>>
File: 1438710391806.png (44 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1438710391806.png
44 KB, 240x240
Tfw Rey was the one who slaughtered Luke's Padawans
>>
>>63886870
"Mary sue" only means "competent female"
The movie is amazing and all of you are just being contrarians as usual. God forbid there is a positive role model for girls out there, we can't have that, oh fuck no!
>>
>>63888282

>Sarah Connor
>Ripley

Good characters have flaws, which help us relate to them. Luke was a good character because he wasn't perfect and you could see his character progression throughout the 3 movies.
>>
>>63888282
>God forbid there is a positive role model for girls
>looking to a sci-fi movie for a "positive role model"

Go back to watching Frozen and let the adults talk
>>
>>63885799
>No explanation for why Leia hug her (someone she's never met before) instead of fucking Chewbacca either.

Your sentence structure makes it sound like Leia should have jumped on Chewbacca's dick rather than hug Rey.
>>
>>63887815
God I hope so. That would be incredible and ballsy as fuck.
>>
>>63888282
How is Rey being literally flawless a positive role model for girls though? Isn't it better that you have a female that isn't a cookie cutter character that overcomes her shortcomings a better character for young girls to identify with?
>>
>>63888282
>God forbid
angry (fat) woman detected
>>
>Mary Sue

Jesus christ. Just give it up already. I have never heard this term until star wars crybabies started to use it in the past few days
>>
>>63891689
Youre probably just new here

People have been using it for years
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.