[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>LOTR is still the greatest trilogy of all times Thank you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 16
File: swvslotr.jpg (195 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
swvslotr.jpg
195 KB, 900x506
>LOTR is still the greatest trilogy of all times

Thank you based Jackson for BTFOing all Star Shit kids
>>
The Hobbit shits all over both though.
>>
Star Wars is basically Lucas reading LOTR and thinking "I must do this... but in spaaace". Of course LOTR is better.
>>
Am I the only one that thought Han, Leia, and 3PO came off WAY WORSE and more cringe-worthy than all the new characters?

I would much rather see a movie exclusively about Finn or Rey than endure another moment of Han and Leia's endless fucking dialog.
>>
It's the pinnacle of good vs evil storytelling. It's the Citizen Kane of films.
>>
>>63881502
LOTR is greatest trilogy
has bad prequels but still better than Star Wars
only needs new Sequels
Movie is about a female wizard and a black dwarf getting chased by a nazgul lookalike turns out its sams son he kills sam then the female wizard finds the other half of a map that was written in dwarvish translated takes off on a boat that goes into the heavens then finds a man in a robe
offers him a Ring and Frodo takes off his hood
>>
What both Star Wars and LOTR do right is show you a strange, unknowable world, and then allow you to connect with the basic decency of its characters. You are grounded by the basic goodness of Luke and Frodo, it gives you an anchor and a good lens through which to adventure through the unknown.

I don't know of an other mainstream fantasy series that does it as well as Star Wars or LOTR. Star Trek is much more about social commentary than about Campbellian heroes.
>>
>>63881502
Silmarillion when?
>>
>>63881653
Pretty good should have been aragorns son though since he's half elf half human
>>
>>63881502
All 3 OT Star Wars films are great.
Two Towers is a piece of shit with one cool battle at the end.
>>
Lotr will never be beat because nobody besides Kiwis with nothing else to do would perfect their product as much as they did
>>
>>63881668
Silmarillion is the LOTR bible. It'd be really, really weird as a movie.
>>
>>63881653
>>63881668

I can conceive of a fantastic Silmarillion miniseries. 6-8 self contained stories that build upon one another.

They managed to get 3 films out of the Hobbit which has a fucking fraction of the storytelling meat of Silmarillion.
>>
>>63881668
Never, hopefuly. It really wouldn't translate well to film. At all.
>>
>>63881701
Extended Two Towers is probably my favorite LOTR film. Godlike pacing, really lets you soak in the world

It also has the most epic single line of dialog ever delivered:
>Until at last I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside
>>
File: before_sunrise__1995_-fanart.jpg (108 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
before_sunrise__1995_-fanart.jpg
108 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>63881502

>Not The Human Condition
>Not Bergman's Trilogy of Faith
>Not The Search For Truth trilogy by Luis Buñuel
>>
File: taco.png (14 KB, 241x264) Image search: [Google]
taco.png
14 KB, 241x264
>>63881701
>ignoring gollum and the entirity of Rohan

While i will agree it was the weakest of the 3, it was in no way bad.
>>
>>63881751
Just because you are too limited in your imagination to conceive of how it would translate, doesn't mean it's un-translateable.

What is strange about it is the structure, it is episodic in nature. But many of these episodes could be nurtured into complete, self contained stories with just a little filling in of the gaps.

Feanor's betrayal of his kin for example, is high fucking drama and the sort of thing I would LOVE to see done correctly in a film.

People who don't want to see it adapted are feeble minded fools who are too scared that it might be done badly. You have to take risks to achieve glory and Silmarillion could be glorious indeed.
>>
>>63881800
I do agree with that line, but Theoden's "Ride for ruin and the world's ending" is definetely second place.
>>
>>63881811
won't be a trilogy in another 7 years fella
but if midnight was the last film then it may well be one of the best trilogies. perhaps the most divisive because i don't have a favourite film because each of them have a lot of great things about them
>>
>>63881930
>I go to my fathers, in whose mighty company I shall not now feel ashamed.

Theoden had some truly great deliveries
>>
lotr soundtrack > star wars soundtrack
lotr special effects > star wars special effects
lotr acting > star wars acting
Lotr world > star wars universe

i will say this however, lotr as we know it now would not exist without what star wars did for big budget blockbusters. but lotr is better in virtually every way.

heck i can listen to the soundtrack alone and go through more emotions than i would during the entire star wars saga
>>
>>63881986
For me all three have their good qualities, but Sunset is leagues beyond the others. The writing is just absurdly brilliant, the way it tiptoes around what you know and want to find out, the way their fight builds and builds, and the subversion of that even though their time is even more limited than before, it all of a sudden stretches into forever in the final moments as she does the sexiest Nina Simone impression of all time.

One of my all time favorite films
>>
>>63881668
Do you really want to see that after hobbit
>>
>>63882236
>the moment when Bilbo battles the spiders in mirkwood, and realizes how insane he just acted due to Ringlust, and clasps his hand over his mouth in horror / continued ringlust, and communicates this all through 0 dialog

There is, I think, a fucking masterpiece strewn across the 3 hobbit films. One 4 hour movie that is truly great. Too bad there's all the garbage in there as well.

I would never, ever turn down another opportunity to spend more time in Middle Earth though.
>>
File: 1434028573132.jpg (443 KB, 1300x959) Image search: [Google]
1434028573132.jpg
443 KB, 1300x959
>>63882366
Check out the Tolkien Edit online, it's only 4 and a half hours and is basically only stuff from the books. No Tauriel, Necromancer/Sauron/Radagast stuff, Azog is trimmed down significantly, Legolas has a cameo. And all the good emotional scenes are left in.
>>
>>63881701
>>63881869
>TTT
>weakest

>that intro with gandalf and the balrog
>gollum
>rohan
>"i will draw you, saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound"
>"where is my son"
>the last march of the treants
>helms deep
>"LEGOLAS, TAKE HIM DOWN"
>"where is the horse and the rider?"
>"what can man do against such wreckless hate"
>"THE HORN OF HELM HAMMERHAND SHALL SOUND IN THE DEEP. ONE LAST TIME."
>"there's some good in this world, mr frodo. and it's worth fighting for"
>"samwise the brave..."

and last but not least

>"WE AIN'T HAD NUFFIN BUT MAGGOTY BREAD FOR THREE STINKIN DAYS"
>"yeah, WHY CAN'T WE HAVE SOME MEAT?"
>>
File: Eowyn_with_sword.jpg (50 KB, 550x667) Image search: [Google]
Eowyn_with_sword.jpg
50 KB, 550x667
>>63881502
Daily reminder that this is how you make strong female character, not a fuckin Mary Sue, fuck off JJ
>>
>>63882580
>I know your face...Eowyn
>>
>>63882580
I really enjoyed her even though she got queened and you're right
>>
>>63882580
She was so pretty...
>>
>>63881502
Objectively right
>>
SW>LOTR

prove me wrong
>>
>>63884335
https://youtube.com/watch?v=sQ9NOV3KNpY

There you go
>>
>>63882511
Oh God is this really a thing
>>
>>63881502
absolutely correct
>>
>>63881502
This
>>
>>63884567
>not "concerning hobbits"
>>
File: 1450506840167.jpg (28 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1450506840167.jpg
28 KB, 320x240
>>63884335
That you?
>>
>>63881668
>>>63885046
>>
>>63885414
U alright lad?
>>
>>63881502
It's true.
All of it.
>>
File: Rohan.jpg (31 KB, 452x283) Image search: [Google]
Rohan.jpg
31 KB, 452x283
There is not single thing in sw that can compare to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxfaQrS1KIs
>>
>>63885337
what a strong argument
>>
>>63886020
Better than yours
>>
As an insomniac i love LOTR, it's one of the only movies/series of movies where i am guaranteed to fall asleep if it's put on.
>>
>>63881502
The Yuuzhan Vong look like orcs and trolls.
>>
>>63882511
Where do i click ?
>>
>>63885805
The Rohan theme (and LOTR music in general) is based, but some of the themes from Star Wars give it a run for its money imo.
>>
>>63886492
yes sw has some great tunes. But lotr is in whole new lvl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DPebk9YKco
>>
>>63886436
You have to be 18+ to post on this board
>>
>>63887945
They're 4 hours long and extremely dull.
>>
>>63888360
ADD:the post
>>
File: laughing cheetah.jpg (29 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
laughing cheetah.jpg
29 KB, 450x450
>>63881625
>It's the Citizen Kane of films.
>>
I love them both.
Fight me.
>>
>>63882524
But, menus?
>>
>>63881502
Hobbit movies>prequels
>>
>>63881578
Yes, you're the only one. Tell me what Finn and Rey's characters were or wanted?

Star Wars is about Han, Luke, and Leia (and Vader). Everything else is just fill-in characters supporting the big four's ultimate narrative.

The Prequels and the Sequels are just there to flesh out the big four's narrative. That's it.

Rey and Finn were certainly likable, but ultimately hollow. The real story is "where is Luke" and "why did Ben Solo go bad and kill Han."
>>
>>63882524
dont lump me in with that faggot, faggot.
two of the first 3 things directly copied what i said.
weakest=/=shit.
But on a rating scale I gotta put ttt under the other two. The fact that it was the bridge for the beginning and the ultimate climax slightly worked to its disadvantage
>>
>>63892499
Nope, Rey and Finn are unknown people placed in an unknown world who we can instantly relate to because of their instinct towards decency. They are basically decent people and it anchors us to the world, we recognize the universality of that even in a galaxy far far away.

This is EXACTLY why we gave a shit about Luke/Leia/Han in the first place. When Rey choses not to sell the droid for a fuckload of rations, that is a real fucking Star Wars moment with all the heart and soul of the OT.
>>
>>63892849
Again, you missed my point and didn't answer my question.

We knew what Luke, Han, and Leia wanted in the first movie. We knew who they were.

Rey and (to a much lesser extent) Finn may be decent people...but that doesn't make them good characters or even interesting.
>>
File: Autism.gif (537 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Autism.gif
537 KB, 480x270
All the shit JJ added into the Hobbit
>>
>>63893158
>Again
It's my first post in the thread but okay.

>We knew what Luke, Han, and Leia wanted
Oh, what do Finn/Rey want? To do the right thing, to be special, to find their place in the world. Literally to be decent in a world that doesn't necessarily encourage or reward it.

On a more practical level, in any given scene you know EXACTLY what the characters are pursing. Finn wants to escape the First Order, but is conflicted because he has a chance to maybe be part of something better than that. Rey is more mysterious, we know she wants to deliver the droid and get back to Jakku but we're not sure what exactly went down with her family and shit or what her being Kylo Ren's cousin has to do with it. But to accuse her of just being a directionless character seems ridiculous to me.
>>
>>63893393
>to do the right thing

Wow, how revolutionary?! Well, that makes up for everything then. How silly was I to want something original, something thrilling, something indelible even? Character arcs are so last century. Just drop a couple decent people in the room and everything takes care of itself.

Finn's character is the most absurd. He can't seem to kill for the First Order...but has literally no problem slaughtering his fellow ex-coworkers. Most of them, just poor kids caught up in a silly ideology like he was.
>>
>>63893857
Can you explain why "revolutionary" or "original" is something you want, or should aspire to achieve, in a Star Wars film? Can you name ANY examples of this post-Greek tragedy or Shakespeare?

It IS silly for you to want to see something "original". Even the arty shit like Only God Forgives is just a recapitulation of themes as old as Oedipus Rex. You should hope for effective portrayals of classic archetypes, particularly in fucking STAR WARS.

And frankly your nitpick that gunning down people who are actively shooting at you and trying to kill you is the same as executing innocent villagers is beyond ridiculous.
>>
LOTR is fucking absolute garbage

Grow the fuck up you manchildren
>>
Rush Hour is way better.
>>
>>63881502

Fast and Furious will surpass them all.
>>
File: 1445388452639 copy.jpg (40 KB, 524x869) Image search: [Google]
1445388452639 copy.jpg
40 KB, 524x869
>Green CGI shit all over the screen saves the day at the end of Return of the King
>>
>>63893857
>Just drop a couple decent people in the room and everything takes care of itself.
It's the juxtaposition of familiar character traits against a strange and dangerous world that is effective. Like Frodo venturing out into Middle Earth.

And no, it is not ENOUGH to simply have a couple nice people, you have to portray and contextualize it properly. Which I would be happy to debate with you. But your idea that Finn/Rey's motivation is completely absent or poorly defined compared to Luke/Han/Leia is just you looking for a reason to justify your dislike of the film. You have plenty of good reasons for disliking it but this isn't one of them.
>>
>>63894319
The undead army? They help win a single battle 2/3 through the film.
>>
File: 1441272641609.jpg (13 KB, 323x241) Image search: [Google]
1441272641609.jpg
13 KB, 323x241
>>63881502
>mfw Aragorn would absolutely destroy any of the shitters in Star Wars
>>
>>63894895

>mfw when 12 year olds compare fictional characters in completely different realities
>>
>>63893299
>JJ

?
>>
>>63894895
It is a weird comparison since Aragorn is not a magic user. His powers come solely from his lineage and certain destiny-bound things that come with that (redeeming the undead army's oath).

Beyond that he of course has the Will to get shit done, and I think that if you dropped him into the SWU he would get by just fine because in the star wars universe, like in LOTR, people are rewarded for being steadfast and good. But he couldn't take on Vader any more than he could have taken on Sauron (or the Witch King, or...)
>>
File: GoodBadUgly_060Pyxurz.jpg (129 KB, 1600x795) Image search: [Google]
GoodBadUgly_060Pyxurz.jpg
129 KB, 1600x795
>>63895094
Jackson. I mean't Jackson.
>>
>>63894895
>>63895100
Isnt Aragorn basically a demigod(in the likeness of Hercules and etc)?
Pretty sure that even the strongest jedis and siths or whatever in SW are just average humans in the end of the day.
Aragorn is OP
>>
>>63894895
not Rey though
she's a girl :)
>>
>>63895094
>you now realize that JJ has produced every major franchise in the past 20 years
>he actually made the prequel trilogy and all the marvel films, and TDK
>>
>>63895253
no, he still dies of old age
>>
>>63895253
How the fuck is aragorn going to bypass the force and a sword made out of plasma?

Physical attributes count for shit when you can be choked the fuck out from a 100 meters away
>>
>>63895253
It is never implied that he has supernatural strength.

His sole superhuman characteristic is that he has unnatural longevity, but that's true of basically all pure-stock humans from middle earth at this point. It's one of those vaguely classist British things, where the royalty are actually genetically superior instead of vastly inferior.
>>
>>63895253
>demigod
No, but his physical ability is abnormal.
>>
>>63895464
It's safe to assume he did. He went through the entire battle of pelloner fields without incurring a single scratch

Skill can only take you so far
>>
File: 1441825980341.jpg (57 KB, 666x630) Image search: [Google]
1441825980341.jpg
57 KB, 666x630
>there will never be a trilogy that reaches the same amount of comfy as LOTR
>>
>>63881502
not really if you look at the shit hobbit movies
>>
>>63895464
>stamina
Ran for days on end with little food and water

>Strength
ploughed through the snows of caradharas to make a path.
Fought countless orcs/ uruks without tiring.

>>63895921
A silmarillion cinematic attempt has the potential to be the comfiest thing in cinema
>>
>>63896045
Chilldren of Hurin *
>>
>>63881524
Good bait, but the Hobbit shouldn't have been a trilogy to begin with.

Also; RL > CGI
>>
>>63896118
Too depressing to be comfy imo, the last scene of morwen with hurin...
>>
>>63896045

There are not enough actors in Hollywood to fill a proper Silmarillion movie. If it must be done (it shouldn't, they'd fuck it up) then you would want to do it like a Game of Thrones style episodic series.
>>
>>63896637
There are issues with making it a tv show

1. There would be too much filler in a tv show. The silmarillion is an incomplete work and so much of the material is interpreted subjectively by the reader, it's why people still argue about different aspects of the stories.

2. There would never be a decent budget to do the scale of silmarillion justice, a single major battle alone would be enough to dry up the budget

3. The story telling aspect would not be linear and would be difficult to get into. Lotr book fags claim they have trouble reading the silmarillion, a tv show will bewilder normies
>>
File: red-tie.png (46 KB, 344x517) Image search: [Google]
red-tie.png
46 KB, 344x517
>>63881502
As much as a Star Wars fanboy I am, I have to agree. ROTJ was a weak film and although Fellowship is the strongest of the LoTR trilogy, Two Towers and RoTK are still superb movies
>>
>>63881668
I'd much prefer it if they turned the Silmarillion into a TV show like GOT and the like.....an in-depth series, over 50 hours of content, it'd be too dope.
>>
File: 1437169556883.jpg (157 KB, 630x360) Image search: [Google]
1437169556883.jpg
157 KB, 630x360
>LOTR is better than Star Wars
>>
>>63897301
I would ONLY agree to this if it was handled by HBO
MAYBE netflix, but HBO still beats them in quality. Netflix hasn't touched anything close to GoT, True Detectives (first season), and Band of Brothers
>>
>>63897309
You seen to be lost bud, don't worry, reddit is just around the corner :^)
>>
>>63897361
>HBO presents: The Silmarillion

jesus, i gave myself a boner
>>
>>63897218
This made me curious. Do you have any site where i can download siilma?
>>
>>63894353
Wrong again. I liked the movie. I saw it twice. I'm not looking for reasons not to like it...you're reaching for justifications for why you did.

Luke, Leia, Han > Finn, Rey. And you can't debate this.

I still don't know why I should care about Finn going forward. Rey at least has the mysterious back story and force sensitivity (and future Luke training in Ireland). To me, Finn's story is over.
>>
>>63898230
No, sorry. You can buy the book for peanuts from eBay

I wouldn't recommend you jump in head first into the silmarillion, it really is a difficult book to read like I said, even people who have read the lotr find it difficult to read. Its more or less a history of middle-earth and can leave you in a head spin

It's also by far one of the best books you will read. Period.
>>
>>63885414
While I hate the fact that this is a thing, I must admit I kind of understand why Chris Tolkien is vehemently against a Silmarillion movie. The man basically grew up in Middle Earth. One can only imagine how emotionally involved he is with it and why he can't bear to see anything short of perfection done to it.
>>
>>63882580
Literally the perfect strong female character
>>
>>63894895
Based Aragorn, still one of my favorite fantasy heroes
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.