[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I have been hearing good things about this one punch man show
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 17
File: images (17).jpg (42 KB, 510x288) Image search: [Google]
images (17).jpg
42 KB, 510x288
So I have been hearing good things about this one punch man show

would it be good for someone like me who doesn't really watch anime or is it one of those shonen nonsense that take 230 episodes before it supposedly gets good
>>
>>63879688
It's only 12 episodes long (just ended today) and you should watch it OP.
>>
>>63879688

You''re on the wrong board.

(But it's great, you should watch it)
>>
>12 episodes
>1 ova (2 more upcoming)
>pokes fun at shonen while simultaneously outdoing every shonen

It's worth checking out.
>>
I'm somewhat aware of the premise of this.

Why is the main character considered a pretty lousy superhero in-universe when he's also the most powerful being alive?
>>
>>63879808
Because in most shonen anime, the average person is a clueless moron.
>>
>>63879688
You can always watch vastly superior live action films instead of wasting your time on cartoons for manchildren.
>>
>>63879808
it's a parody, a satire of superheroes, i highly recommend it and i only watched about 10 or less animuhs series
>>
>>63879808

Because he's kind of an idiot and doesn't conform to the standards that the hero organization enforces. He's just in this to fight powerful motherfuckers to test himself.
>>
>>63879808
almost nobody in universe knows he's the most powerful being alive

only a couple people know his true power and everyone else thinks hes lying because nobody is around when he defeats the world ending threats.
>>
>>63879688
Like every japanese comedy the single premise is a stale joke that is outdrawn for an entire series.

People are expected to watch it and giggle like morons because he will always get away of every situation thanks to his gimmick and this for some reason is "funny"
>>
>>63880323
>I never watched the show or read the manga or read the webcomic but I'll pass judgement on it based on it's title
>>
>>63879688
>or is it one of those shonen nonsense that take 230 episodes before it supposedly gets good
You got it all wrong. Shonen is good at the beginning, not the other way around.

And one of One Punch Man's premises is that it mocks the shonen genre and some of its tropes.
>>
>>63880456
So you don't have anything to say and can only resort to greentext and bland accusations.
Nothing unexpected, this is the kind of people that watch these kind of shows.
>>
>>63880323
>every Japanese comedy is the same
Great meme, I like this one. Thumbs up.
>>
File: 1450637062877.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1450637062877.gif
2 MB, 400x225
Pretty fun show desu
>>
>>63880525
I don't need to say anything because if you watched the show you'd know that the comedy revolves around a lot more then "he beats the villains in one hit"
>>
Why don't you go ask all the other teens on /v/ instead?
>>
>>63880008
>it's a parody, a satire of superheroes
Its still very much a superhero series. The protagonist may be a goofball and more competent than the "real" heroes but the series still revolves around punching bad guys.

I wish you guys would stop selling this as more than it is, someone with no interest in shonen won't change their mind over this
>>
The Incredibles is better.
>>
>>63880762
It's not a shounen show.
>>
>>63880762
I don't think I've ever recommended this show to anyone on the basis of getting them into shonen.

I fucking hate shounen shit but I like this show, if I'm recommending it it's only for this show, not the genre.
>>
>/v/ trash thread
>all these tourists unironically responding to this

/tv/ is dead
>>
>>63880811
Split hairs over the label but you know what I meant. Its an anime about punching people.
>>
>>63879688
it's a show for teenagers that are too "cool" to like the other garbage like naruto and one piece

b-but it's satire! it's a deconstruction of the superhero genre!
>>
>>63880194
GOD FUCKING DAMN IT THAT PISSES ME OFF TO NO FUCKING END.

THAT FUCKING CUNT OF A CIVILIAN WITH HIS FUCKING RETARDED FACE THAT MADE PEOPLE THINK SAITAMA WAS A LIAR.

FUCK THAT FUCKING NIGGER.

FUCK.
>>
Just save your time and watch Unbreakable
>>
>>63880915
Yeah and that doesn't make it shounen. It's nominal target demographic is seinen and it airs in the middle of the night.

>>63880924
A lot of people are really, really, really obsessed with designating all or some anime as being for teenagers and then dismissing it on that basis.
>>
>>63880194
Actually, one very specific person is almost always there when he does his thing.
Don't want to spoil who though, but it's magnificent. Read the manga.
Maybe you did of course, but just in case.
>>
>>63880525
Not that guy but
>stale joke
I can't think of another anime or manga that its premise is "the MC is so overpowered it is comical" then again I'm not an avid anime and manga guy
>People are expected to watch it and giggle like morons because he will always get away of every situation
Pretty sure people are expected to laugh at the mockery, not at the MC 'getting away of every situation'
>joke that is outdrawn for an entire series
Pretty much every comedy does this, not just weeb shit
>he will always get away of every situation thanks to his gimmick
Same as above. Rarely a main character of a show dies or doesn't get away with everything. And of course he takes care of everything with his gimmick, it's a gimmick, it's supposed to work that way
>>
>>63881035
yeah I read the webcomic and I'm all caught up but there's no reason to reveal that when answering a question from someone who hasn't seen the show.
>>
File: 1447207815910.webm (3 MB, 856x480) Image search: [Google]
1447207815910.webm
3 MB, 856x480
>>63879688
>>
Hey fuck face why is this garbage thread still up?
>>>/wsr/
>>>/wsr/1
>>
I used to like anime as a kid, hate it nowadays. I tried watching One Punch Man and got excited over it, expecting it to be an examination of the boredom of someone who is completely anhedonistic simply because he finds pleasure in being challenged but can't find a worthy opponent.

But a few episodes in it just turns into generic anime with some bad jokes.
>>
File: rIMSqo5.png (484 KB, 797x451) Image search: [Google]
rIMSqo5.png
484 KB, 797x451
>>63881071
>of course he takes care of everything with his gimmick

there are problems that cannot be solved by punching them
>>
its fucking funny

if you arent busting up after the first 3 episodes its not for you
>>
>>63881147
>generic
I.e. "I don't like this but can't explain why or don't even know why." This word has been stripped of all meaning.
>>
Its the Big Bang Theory of anime
>>
File: one punch 1.webm (3 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
one punch 1.webm
3 MB, 500x281
>>
File: zoinks.png (81 KB, 942x354) Image search: [Google]
zoinks.png
81 KB, 942x354
>>63881097
>still cant link it
Oops
Here it is
>>
>>63881071
>then again I'm not an avid anime and manga guy

Then your opinion is useless, stop wasting our time and just kill yourself.

>I am not qualified but hear me out!

Fuck off
>>
>>63881071
>I can't think of another anime or manga that its premise is "the MC is so overpowered it is comical" then again I'm not an avid anime and manga guy
You could argue if he counts as "the main character", but same can be said about Saitama, so here's an example:
Hellsing (Ultimate).
The protagonist is a vampire named Alucard (think about it) who is pretty much unstoppable.

If you're not into anime, I don't really recommend checking it out, but you might enjoy the TFS abridged series of it, if you're curious.
>>
>>63881285
>not a single example of another anime or manga that does the same
So I take you are not qualified yourself either? Nice rebuttal.
>>
>>63880008
>i only watched about 10 or less animuhs series
>only 10
lol
>>
>>63881243
That's also a generic answer among these parts.

Generic just means it shares the same characteristics that are common in its genre. And you know it does. There's nothing new in OPM except for the premise: he isn't an underdog growing in power, he is introduced as extremely powerful and more and more vulnerabilities are shown. But the anime still isn't an analysis of that character and his vulnerabilities, it's just, yes, GENERIC anime shit. Little fights, little monsters getting more and more powerful, bad humor.

>>63881258
A perfect description.

Watch if you're 14~18, skip if you've lived enough to develop criteria.
>>
File: latest.png (210 KB, 508x541) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
210 KB, 508x541
I WAS GOING TO MAKE A THREAD!!!

WHO READY FOR TONIGHTS EP?
>>
>>63881366
>recommending an abridged series

what a dork
>>
>>63881243
The very point of OPM is being generic. It is all about flawlessly executed American superhero tropes highlighting how silly they can be deep down
>>
So I've gathered that anime/manga weebs hate this

How is this show for people with actual taste?
>>
>>63881398
The guy's obviously not into anime, so might aswell.
Abridged is litereally anime for people who don't like anime.

>>63881393
Already saw it.
No one is ready, I guarantee it. It's that good.Ending is a bit slow, but hey, it's the season/series finale.
>>
>>63881438
>people with taste
Its memecore garbage then
Unless you mean /v/edditors that think they have taste
>>
>>63879688
jokes are decent.
it's fast pacing.
fight scenes are ballers as fuck.
awesome quality of animation
main hero is very likable.

need anything more?
>>
>>63881475
I see from how you write that you are one of the angry weebs in this thread

Disregard my question, its not for you
>>
>>63881373
>Generic just means it shares the same characteristics that are common in its genre. And you know it does.
It doesn't.

>It's just, yes, GENERIC anime shit. Little fights, little monsters getting more and more powerful, bad humor.
Now how about those hundreds of shows that don't involve fighting monsters? And how is something as broad and vague as fighting monsters supposed to make something generic?

>>63881438
>taste
Meme alert.
>>
>>63881366
Alucard truly is a overpowered character but he's the opposite of comical.
Also didn't Alucard get his shit handled in one fight where he gets liquefied or some shit (eve though he ends up winning because of bloody mist or whatever) or was that other anime?
>>
>>63881466
abridged series are for weeaboos who love pop culture references and regurgitated internet memes.
>>
>>63881438
If anime weebs hate it, then it must be good.
>>
>>63881509
So you're the latter then because if you were someone with taste then its the first
>>
>>63881373
>There's nothing new in OPM except for the premise: he isn't an underdog growing in power, he is introduced as extremely powerful and more and more vulnerabilities are shown. But the anime still isn't an analysis of that character and his vulnerabilities, it's just, yes, GENERIC anime shit. Little fights, little monsters getting more and more powerful, bad humor.
I agree with this. I read the manga up until chapter ~50 when the top ten heroes were introduced and the aliens invade and lost interest. I like some of the humor and side characters but it follows an incredibly generic fighting series formula
>introduce bad guy
>the recognized heroes get beat
>will they/wont they win the fight?
>they don't
>saitama shows up late and unenthused to win in one punch
Its just not that fucking interesting, and so far no fan has been able to explain to me why it is. It's a satire on fighting anime for people who really like fighting anime, not the other way around
>>
>>63881593
I agree actually

Just wanted an opinion from non-weebs who dont spout "its reddit" (I dont even know what that means, I never go to reddit) at anything they dont like.

But I guess its sold, gonna start watching tonight
>>
>>63881506
"ballers as fuck"

Your age and how long you've been browsing /tv/
>>
>>63881593
but anime weebs love it, /a/ loves it
>>
File: original.png (144 KB, 599x443) Image search: [Google]
original.png
144 KB, 599x443
>>63881641
I get that, I know exactly what you mean, and yes the series is like that.

But it also isn't, and I currently don't know how to articulate why it isn't.
>>
>>63881438
>How is this show for people with actual taste?
The same as for weebs. If you think /a/ or weebs actually hate it you are out of your mind. They just pretend to not like it because it's mainstream and there's a contrarian status to maintain in the board.
Same happend with JoJo, Kill la Kill, Redline, the Me!Me!Me! video, TTGL, etc. Basically everything that goes mainstream gets the 'it's shit' treatment with the single exception being Evangelion.
>>
>>63881552
Well, I guess it depends on your sense of humour.
Also, Alucard kind of got his shit handed to him in most fights he was in. But that's the thing. Where Saitama is undefeatable because he's invulnerable and immensely powerful, Alucard is undefeatable because no matter how hard you kick his shit in, he will come back. And that is even before he gets specifically the power to be able to come back from anything at the end of the series.
>>
>>63881765
>But it also isn't, and I currently don't know how to articulate why it isn't.

That says a lot about the actual intelligence of the people that like this show/manga
>>
>>63881438
/a/ loves this pleb garbage. Why do you think these retards think they can post it here when the board that makes them insecure approves it too?
>>
>>63881285
>im going to ignore his other points and focus on him not being an all knowing anime autist

wow you sure showed him buddy

here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-Punch_Man

if you wish to hate the show properly at least read up on it a little
>>
>>63881835
No, it says alot about me and only me.
Don't lump me in with everyone if I don't stand for everyone.
>>
>>63881790
>Well, I guess it depends on your sense of humour.
Don't get me wrong. I mean compared to OPM.
Alucard's edgyness and cockyness IS fun. It's just that the show itself has a clearly defined dark and gritty tone to it that OPM doesn't have.
>>
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/survey/613/result

47.6% of all 18,213 voters voted OPM as the anime of the year. I like OPM well enough, but the hype train has gone off the rails. I guess a lot of it is that it's an action show that appeals to people who normally don't watch anime or don't watch much.
>>
File: HahaOhWow.jpg (39 KB, 562x437) Image search: [Google]
HahaOhWow.jpg
39 KB, 562x437
>>63881968
Yeah, that's true. It's more of a smug, cynical funny, than OPM's pic related funny.
>>
It constantly subverts traditional shonen storytelling and has clever and modern humor that pokes fun at japanese entertainment. It is probably the best thing anime has come up with ever.
>>
>>63882258
>this is the only parody I have ever seen!
>>
>>63882258
>It is one of the few anime I've seen, and it is probably the best thing anime has come up with ever.
This is probably closer to reality.
>>
>>63881393
>WHO READY FOR TONIGHTS EP?

nigga its already up
>>
>>63879688
its made for plebs family

its just as bad as naruto
>>
File: 9c6RcGl.jpg (24 KB, 318x317) Image search: [Google]
9c6RcGl.jpg
24 KB, 318x317
Post your face when Boro's heart beats just like Saitama's in his dream

Saitama knew was he was doing, he let Boros had the fight of his dream
>>
>>63881765
>But it also isn't, and I currently don't know how to articulate why it isn't.
Basically the core of the show is the same (the fights, the powerups, the allies and enemies, the tropes, blablabla) but the show is not the same because unlike the rest, it actively goes the other way around and makes fun of the genre instead of taking it seriously.
It's a "it's the same for the sake of satire" kind of thing.
>>
>>63882410
nope, i've watched several highly praised sol anime recommended by /a/ for their humor and characters and i found them all to be shit in terms of humor and character. opm makes fun of them and trumps them in every way possible.
>>
>>63882429
Naruto is a daytime show, this is late night.

>>63882554
OPM doesn't have anything to do with SoL anime.
>>
>>63882554
>highly praised sol anime recommended by /a/ for their humor and characters
That was your mistake. Not even kidding, don't listen to /a/.
>>
OP, what compelled you to post it here instead of /a/?
>>
>>63879688
This is exactly for you OP, it's a pretty simple and plain shonen story, with heroes, villains and power levels, BUT, the main character saitama is some kind of a outsider, he literally broke the rules of the shonen, and because of this is soo good and funny to watch.
>>
File: 1449770570886.jpg (75 KB, 440x660) Image search: [Google]
1449770570886.jpg
75 KB, 440x660
>>63882468
awwww, man.
poor dude saitama didn't get yet his fair fight even in the original webcomic.
>>
>>63882429
>i-i-i-it's popular! fuck it!
>>
>>63882554
So you really have no experience like we said, easily impressed uniformed retard
>>
>>63882591
>Naruto is a daytime show, this is late night.
keep telling yourself that you filthy pleb

nothing wrong with liking trash, lying to yourself to make you feel better is pathetic though
>>
>>63881660
chill your cranium, guy.
>>
>>63882628
It's not shounen.

>>63882674
http://randomc.net/2015/09/28/fall-2015-schedule/
>>
>>63882698
it doesnt matter what time it comes on, its the same shit as naruto
>>
File: 1441294183159.gif (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1441294183159.gif
3 MB, 640x360
/a/ here, kill yourselves.
>>
>>63882797
Daytime and late night anime are two very different markets, and Naruto and OPM aren't even similar shows.
>>
File: 1407829885974.jpg (79 KB, 571x1200) Image search: [Google]
1407829885974.jpg
79 KB, 571x1200
I've read Onepunch Man ONE and watched the anime because I liked the manga.
It's a good read/watch for people who grew up or are growing up on watching fighting anime. I sure loved DB and other similar shows as a kid.
Its not the most interesting plot out there but it does a really good job at making fun at a whole genre. Every other hero and villain in the manga takes every fight very seriously while Saitama just breezes through them. He on the other hand has different fights. Fights against boredom and the hardship of being a no name pleb.
>>
>>63882948
it's only interesting for people that grew up watching shounen and nothing more
even as a parody of standard japanese tropes there are way better shows
but I don't expect people that started watching anime in 2007 to understand
>>
>>63882698
I know it's not shonen, because of saitama, but if you remove his character from the equation, you have a classic, plain and canonic shonen. This is why saitama is soo good, whit his mere existence and his "power" he completely broke the shonen rules making the show something different, capisc'?
>>
>>63883019
I've never watched these shounen shows and didn't even really get into anime until my mid-twenties.

>>63883061
Shounen is a demographic, not a genre, and even if we think of it as a genre OPM still isn't a shounen show.
>>
File: 1450390093774.gif (2 MB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1450390093774.gif
2 MB, 350x350
>>63882948
D A Y U M
A_____ U
Y_____ Y
U_____A
M U Y A D
>>
>>63883019
Yeah I agree its for a younger generation. All the old weebs I know have said the same thing. I very rarely watch anime though. Most good stories are still in mangas when it comes to new shit.
>>
>>63879688

It's absolute crap. If you don't like anime already, there is no way you can even appreciate the "parody" that opm brings to the table.
>>
>>63883129
dude you sure have some problem of understanding, i'm the first telling OPM it's not a shonen
>>
>>63883891
Then why did you start arguing back when I told someone that it's not a shounen show?
>>
>>63884051
I didn't do that
>>
>>63884672
Right here: >>63883061
>>
>>63884880
sorry dude, thread is dead, and I don't wanna bother explaining something soo simple, cya
>>
>>63885159
What the hell are you talking about?
>>
Anime nerds hate it because its popular and has a plot that doesnt involve 13 year old girls going to school and being cute.
>>
>>63885734
Yes some people hate it or claim to hate it because it's popular, but it has nothing to do with it not being a SoL show.
>>
File: cap.png (86 KB, 209x208) Image search: [Google]
cap.png
86 KB, 209x208
>its a satire
>it pokes fun at the genre
>its really good even if you dont like anime
>>
It's a satire on capeshit, and it's good. There are only two types of people who dislike it:
>/a/ betas who don't like it when one of their shows reaches mainstream popularity.
>capeshit shills
>>
>>63882639

this

I fucking hate this boards nerd hipster shit
>>
>>63882639
you're literally stuttering in text

how old are you seriously?
>>
>>63881370
keep crying weaboo
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QImBolnTVH8
>>
>>63879808

Superheroes are like celebrities in his world (the "most powerful" one is a ridiculously handsome guy who spends most of his time doing tv and music than anything hero related). Saitama, the main character, doesn't give a fuck about attention or publicity, he just shows up to be a hero and is even willing to let others take credit for what he did.
>>
File: le behkuh merchant.jpg (57 KB, 356x308) Image search: [Google]
le behkuh merchant.jpg
57 KB, 356x308
>>63879688
i feel like this is just an attempt to get traffic to that site.

im on to you merchant
>>
The best anime I've seen in a long time.
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.