[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Light Side" is now canon Anyone else find this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: KotOR_Alignment.jpg (167 KB, 749x280) Image search: [Google]
KotOR_Alignment.jpg
167 KB, 749x280
>"Light Side" is now canon

Anyone else find this stupid and video-gamey? What if you're a Sith but you use healing powers to save an evil ally, or your protection powers to keep a powerful weapon from being destroyed?

What about telekinesis and jumping higher? Is that the "Neutral Side"?

It was better when there was just "the Force", and there was a "Dark Side of the Force".
>>
I agree with you. I thought the dark side of the force was like using the ring in LOTR.
The pathway to Hell is paved on good intentions, etc.
>>
Luke said "I can bring him back to the good side" in Jedi as if that's somehow better

who cares
>>
The difference between the light and dark sides are related to the fable of the sun and the wind.

Meaning neutrality really isn't possible.
>>
>>63879070
why are you complaing?

its star wars athiest mode, which i thought you would all like.
>>
But to have shadows, you gotta have light.
Or something.
>>
>>63879070
Yes, finally someone else sees it. The "lightside" doesn't exist, the Force is intrinsically good, unless it gets corrupted by the Darkside. That's why killing off the sith is "bringing balance to the force." The people running Star Wars now are hacks who don't even understand it half as well as most fans.
>>
>>63879070
ITS MAGIC DUDE ITS LIKE LIGHT MAGIC AND DARK MAGIC BAKA YOU DONT KNOW THIS SHIT?
>>
File: image.jpg (141 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141 KB, 2000x2000
>>63879070
The Force is yin and yang.
There's darkness in light and light in darkness.
>>
>>63879347
>Yin Yang

Muh western understanding of eastern mysticism. Yin Yang just means everything is one.
>>
>>63879070

The Dark Side is all about deriving power from negative emotions, eschewing positive relationships and motivations in favor of sheer power and ambition. It's powerful, but burns you out and ultimately proves self-destructive.

The Jedi before the original trilogy was all about power through dispassionate use of the Force to avoid falling into the emotional traps that the Dark Side uses, but in doing so the Order disregards emotional responses entirely and wind up being a bunch of sanctimonious cocks.

Grey Jedi 4 Life, motherfuckers.
>>
>>63879277
I took the Force to be inherently neutral. It's a tool, you can use it however you want. But then there's a darker side to it, where if you give into hatred and aggression it's a lot quicker and easier.

Something like fighting in real life. You can take the time to learn a martial art, or you can just be an angry ragemachine wrestling and punching someone to death.
>>
>>63879070
Which side of the force you are on depends on the emotions you use to draw your power. The Dark Side is more selfish and reckless. The Light Side is about generosity, kindness and selflessness. Although some powers are typical for one side of the force, it is the emotions you channel to reach this power that determine its nature.
>>
>>63879430
>not being a drunken grey sith
>>
>>63879424
As is the Force, the dark side and the light.
>>
>>63879522
Spice is expensive, nigga.
>>
File: ying yang twins.jpg (21 KB, 460x336) Image search: [Google]
ying yang twins.jpg
21 KB, 460x336
>>63879347
>The Force is yin and yang.
*ying and yang
>>
>>63879070
Have there been any Sith who are not complete assholes? The Sith code seems really human and neutral, there is nothing inherently evil within it. Does the Dark Side just inherently corrupt people regardless of their intentions?
>>
Personally, I ascribe to the beliefs of the Order of The Potentium. But that's just EU stuff now.
>>
>>63879070
I hate this EU shit

The force is something natural but dark side is something not natural, something evil, destructive, killing just for killing
>>
>>63879462
Well then youre an idiot for completely misunderstanding a children's movie
>>
>>63879070
>What if you're a Sith but you use healing powers to save an evil ally, or your protection powers to keep a powerful weapon from being destroyed?
Using the force in certain ways requires different disciplines. I can't imagine that someone who has trained himself to drain life from people is also good at pouring life into them.
>>
>>63879608
>Does the Dark Side just inherently corrupt people regardless of their intentions?
Absolutely. The dark path emphasizes self-centeredness, while the good path emphasizes altruism.
>>
>>63879608
That's how I see it. It's like playing with witchcraft or a Ouija board.
You don't have to be a dick to try it out, but it eventually corrupts you.
Also having unrestricted power would make the vast majority of people become dicks.
>>
File: Designs-should-have-balance[1].jpg (39 KB, 602x362) Image search: [Google]
Designs-should-have-balance[1].jpg
39 KB, 602x362
>>63879277
>That's why killing off the sith is "bringing balance to the force."
That's not balance.

The prophecy made sense. There were hundreds of jedi and 2 sith. At the end of the prequels there were 2 jedi (+ some trashy ones) and 2 sith (+ some inquisitors) left. Balance.
>>
I thought the were pretty careful to say just 'light' instead of 'light side'. I'm not sure why this is an important distinction, but I think they continued to use that phrasing in the movie.

When did they say 'light side'?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.