[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>ran and yojimbo both dropped out of the imdb top 100 for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 13
File: 140945-004-EDDC502D.jpg (32 KB, 550x317) Image search: [Google]
140945-004-EDDC502D.jpg
32 KB, 550x317
>ran and yojimbo both dropped out of the imdb top 100 for literal dogshit like batman and guardians of the galaxy
WHY
>>
>baww muh 80s kung fu movies got kicked off the list in favour of films people actually enjoy
>>
>>>/a/
>>
>>63876432
>80s
>Kung-Fu

I
What?
>>
>>63876381
>yojimbo

How to spot people that only like something because is Japanese and not because of its quality
>>
>>63876432
>capeshit fans
>people

That remains to be proved
>>
>imdb rankings
>a basis for anything

555-COME-ON-NOW
>>
>>63876471
That movie invented modern action films. It was basically the blueprint for leone and eastwood's careers
>>
File: ran1.jpg (38 KB, 496x323) Image search: [Google]
ran1.jpg
38 KB, 496x323
>>63876432
>baww muh 80s kung fu movies
>tfw plebs
>>
>>63876533
>omg le japanese invented cinema!
>>
>>63876533
>come with rough idea
>other people actually turn it into a successfull formula
>omg it doesn't matter! GLORY TO JAPAN!
>>
>>63876381
It's the Kali Yuga what did you expect?
>>
>>63876514
10-15 years ago they were generally pretty decent. Sure, anything that came out within the past couple years would have an inflated score but that would always level out to a more realistic score.
>>
>The Seventh Seal is below the force awakens on imdb
>they pushed it even out of the top 100
>>
>>63876432
>>63876453
>>63876471
>>63876578
Sure is underage in here.
>>
>>63876700
Jesus dude
>>
>>63876432

Ran a Samurai epic based on King Lear by Shakespeare that also mirrors Kurosawa's own career
>80's kung fu movie

fucking millennials
>>
>metropolis was also dropped out of the top 100 for shit like batman and star wars the force awakens
>>
>>63876728
Look at this shit:
http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Web 2.0 was a mistake. The iphone was a mistake. They should never have advertised the internet this much to those plebians
>>
>>63876700
Now this is a problem, not Cuckosawa getting what he deserves
>>
>star wars TFA and the pixar movies are higher than citizien kane
>batman is higher up than citizien kane
what
>>
File: django.jpg (65 KB, 906x805) Image search: [Google]
django.jpg
65 KB, 906x805
>>
quick, lets get all our dads and grandpas to stop cutting fire wood and fixing their cars and log into imdb and vote for the movies they like!

imdb is for reddit tier kids and the lists reflect it.
>>
>>63877869
Bullshit. Bergman is the most overrated, pretentious, art fag director of all time. Kurosawa flicks are at least entertaining while being supreme works of art at the same time. Seventh Seal feels like a freshman philosophy student trying to be profound, while Seven Samurai is cinematic as fuck and rip roaring adventure.
>>
>>63878163
>django unchained
>being anywhere in a top 100 let alone 200
That's the greatest injustice so far
>>
>>63876381
Watched it on Netflix. Fucking amazing for what it was and when it was made. The Nips really do turn everything into an art project
>>
>>63879365
they got ran only made because george lucas funded it, thats the best thing
>>
File: ran kaede.jpg (448 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ran kaede.jpg
448 KB, 1920x1080
>>63879365
Ran was an incredible project. Kurosawa was well into his seventies, and used veteran filmcrew that had worked with him since the 50's. They built the castle that Hidetora staggers out of with authentic period carpentry, and only had one take to capture it on film as it burned to the ground (no cg back then).

By the time of Ran, Japan's film industry could no longer support such epics so it was financed by Europeans, similar to how George Lucas and Coppola came to the rescue and fronted Kurosawa the money to make Kagemusha in 1980.
>>
Nip cinema is overhyped by weabs. Koreans and HK make better films and flicks.
>>
>>63879899
I didn't know we are only allowed to like one country's films at a time.

>films and flicks
Why do I get the feeling people have already started taking this meme seriously?
>>
One person in this thread has been laughed at by an Asian grill he was trying to impress.
>>
File: ugetsu.jpg (104 KB, 765x577) Image search: [Google]
ugetsu.jpg
104 KB, 765x577
>>63879899
Sorry but no. Japanese cinema of it's Golden Age (50's-60's) has nothing to do with Japophiles and is simply great film.
>Mizoguchi
>Ozu
>Kurosawa
>Ichikawa

HK was alright back in the day, but still cheap thrills compared to Seven Samurai or Ran. Mizoguchi is venerated as a god by people like Godard, but his style is of an archaic majesty hard for contemporary rapid edit action fans to get.

Japanese cinema predates anime and weeaboo by ages. The first real "anime anime" was arguable Astroboy in the early 60s, while Kurosawa was working in the 40's and Mizoguchi started in film in 1920! Conflating this great cinema with those fags is absurd.
>>
>>63880497
I don't think anyone was conflating anything with Astro Boy, and Tezuka wasn't a fag just because he didn't make live action movies.
>>
>>63880804
Spirited Away
>>
because we live in literally reddit: the world. These fucks think TDK is a masterpiece.

>>63876432
Here's our case in point. Some mouthbreathing retard who probably hasn't even been to a state university, much less a real school.
>>
>>63879899
>Nip cinema is overhyped by weabs. Koreans and HK make better films and flicks.
Chinese made mostly shit movies. Like total dogshit, and I say that as an azn.
>>
>>63880497
Japanese film is a treasurehouse. I am astounded at the greatness of some of the Japanese films I have had the pleasure of seeing. Japanese film really geared up during the early 1950s, and then produced a lengthy string of fine films from many directors through the 70s. They've made some films worth watching since then, but they've experienced a truly fallow period, in my opinion.
>>
>>63880804
Hana-bi is pretty good. Kikujiro too.
>>
>>63878163
just hilarious

>>63878799
DU shouldn't be in the top 1000 of all time.
>>
>>63881011
> I say that as an azn
Why do so many Asians say this like being "Asian" made them experts on anything and everything "Asian"? If you're Vietnamese for example, then how does that mean you know anything about Chinese cinema?

>>63881015
Midnight Eye called it quits recently and it seems the primary reason was that Japanese cinema had stopped being interesting.
>>
File: hanabiUK.jpg (123 KB, 1417x1071) Image search: [Google]
hanabiUK.jpg
123 KB, 1417x1071
The 50s to 90s were the golden age of japanese cinema.
So many gems. And like really watchable movies, not just stuff where half of the time you have to cringe at the strange "lost in cultural context" shit from hong kong cinema.
>>
>>63879899
Daily reminder: Japanese created modern cinema and didn't took insipiration from anything, western cinema on the other hand is just shit and everything has been influenced by glorious Nippon
>>
Hulu plus subscription is worth it for all the great Japanese movies on there
>>
IMDB top 100 should have some sort of grace period for new films. They shouldn't count reviews for like the first three months after a new movie's release. Especially capeshit
>>
>>63881173
Welles BTFO any Asian movies, although I do like Ozu et al.
>>
>>63881104
>Why do so many Asians say this like being "Asian" made them experts on anything and everything "Asian"? If you're Vietnamese for example, then how does that mean you know anything about Chinese cinema?
I'm saying this that even though I'm asian I don't have any sentimentality towards asian cinema in specific.
I for example like early german cinema and french directors like jean pierre melville.
I also like japanese movies. But I loathe most hong kong cinema because large portions of it is just shit. Fedora tipping shit for idiots and neckbeards.
Stuff like city on fire, which gets praised a lot is borderline unwatchable shit. Tarantino might have ripped it off with reservoir dogs for example, but he elevated the material.
You have to remember that chinese cinema targets a population that is huge and theres an even bigger appeal to dumb things down than american popcorn cinema.
>>
>>63881173
>Daily reminder: Japanese created modern cinema and didn't took insipiration from anything, western cinema on the other hand is just shit and everything has been influenced by glorious Nippon
Actually germans did that.
M, Metropolis and Nosferatu are still amazing.
Too bad everything they made after WW2 shat the bed bigtime
>>
Why cant we have more threads like this were we talk about actual movies?
We need to split /tv/ into /capeshit/ /starwars/ and /tv-memes/ and /e-celebs/ so there can be a /movies/ board for FILM DISCUSSION
>>
>>63878163
ok now this is fucked
>>
>>63881378
>>63878799
>>63881078
The original django from the 60s is not even in the top 250.
>>
>>63881436
That's a great spaghetti western too, unlike Tarantino's bullshit aspie shoutouts to every obscure movie ever.
>>
>>63881501
There's so much wrong with film culture these days. Just look at /tv/ a few years ago we could even have movie discussions. Now it's all just cuckmemespam, memespam and star wars or capeshit
>>
>>63876381
I've taken a lot of shit fr defending Guardians of the Galaxy but DAMN that's fucked up. As for why, All I can think is that IMDB is decided by votes/popularity more than actual merit like most internet rankings.
>>
>>63881626
Because popular opinion is all that matters in the end. Stand for merit by all means, but understand that such a concept only matters on a personal level.
>>
>>63876381
Why would you, unless you are only a pretend cinephile, have any regard for a rating website that is based only on popular opinion and mainstream review aggregation? Any serious fan of the cinema knows that academic film reviews and analysis from respected journals like S&S and CdC are the only reliable sources for editorials about real films.
>>
>>63876381
>imdb top 100
Why do you care?
>>
File: pew-research-popular-media.png (28 KB, 493x300) Image search: [Google]
pew-research-popular-media.png
28 KB, 493x300
>>63881998
>>63882004
It reflects the degeneration of popular culture and is worth lamenting.
>>
>>63883026
IMDB was probably in the past used by more serious movie fans, but after the web got popular it was flooded by everyone and anyone.
>>
>>63881902

>being this pleb

Do you have no standards, Anon?
>>
>>63881316

people have wanted /tv/ and /film/ for a long time
/tv/ would be memes, shitposts, flavor of the month, waifus, etc.. and /film/ would be more serious discussion, /film/ wouldn't necessarily have to be 100% dead serious but not the current memetic faggotry that is /tv/ either
>>
>>63883465
A film board is a colossally stupid idea which would never solve any problem its champions purport that it'll solve. The real problem with /tv/ is and has always been fresh content. New content is what should be given its own isolation area so that fans of the latest flicks, TV shows, podcasts, radio plays, and so on can shitpost and meme around to their heart's delight.

The cutoff should probably be 1 year, but 6 months would do wonders. All new-issue Television & Film should be contained to its own retard zone so that the rest of us can post in peace. A film board is a stupid idea and doesn't solve anything no matter how many times the meme is regurgitated by thoughtless assholes. Thanks for reading, I'm right and my argument is flawless.
>>
>>63883026
It's only a symptom. Besides, wasn't the mass/popular culture always kind of shit?

>>63883465
>>63883637
The hell you want?
Split this board like /v/ was split not so long ago (v/vg)? Memes and shitpost didn't disappear, though.
>>
>>63884163

I don't play much games so I don't go to /v/ often and to /vg/ even less so. But is there rampant memes and shitposts on /vg/? Because the idea of splitting /tv/ isn't to get rid of the shitposting but to contain it as much as possible.
>>
>>63884340
/v/ is full of whatever used to be a reason for the split sans "generals" and those are different flavour of circle jerking cancer that basically forbids any sort of on-level discussion. The only good thing that came out of the split is that you have now a fast moving board (/v/) and a slow moving one (/vg/) alas both of them are full of shit.
A simple board split ain't fixing shit. However, I am unsure of how to do it anyway. Maybe if mods worked better? But how would they determine if a thread is good or not? Star Trek generals, for example, are pretty solid IMO, but they do suffer from memesters as well.
>>
>>63883182
this
>>
>>63884163
>Split this board like /v/ was split not so long ago (v/vg)? Memes and shitpost didn't disappear, though.
This. /vr/ and /vg/ are really good. /v/ is just a cesspool of shit
>>
>>63885273
/vr/ has been slipping lately, no doubt due to /v/ermin infestations. And the janitors are the worst I've seen if we exclude janitors who simply don't do anything.
>>
>>63881173

Kurosawa's biggest influence and idol was John Ford, buddy.
>>
>>63883637

Reminder, TDKR was three years ago, there is still Baneposting.
>>
>>63886278
It really is

the bane of our existence.
>>
>>63876432
you rused people, whats the next step in your master plan?
>>
>>63886626

Crashing this thread with no survivors.
>>
>>63880497
Weeb.
>>
>>63883373
Do you even understand what I just said?
>>
>>63886824
That word doesn't mean what you think it does.
>>
>>63887154

Do you?
>>
>>63887487
It means exactly what I think it does.

Weeb =/= someone who likes anime, that's an otaku. A weeb is anyone who has interest in Japanese culture, liking their movies means liking their culture, as their movies express their culture.

The negative connotation it brings is on you, weeb. You're a weeb, I am a weeb, deal with it. You are afraid to express yourself on the god dam internet with an 'Anonymous' tag. You are proper pathetic.
>>
>>63888101
>A weeb is anyone
Weebs can only be white.
>>
>>63876381

>2015
>IMDB mattering

It's literally a ghost site now
>>
>>63888101
>Weeb =/= someone who likes anime, that's an otaku.
Someone who likes anime isn't necessarily an otaku. Someone could also be an otaku without having much interest in anime.

>A weeb is anyone who has interest in Japanese culture, liking their movies means liking their culture, as their movies express their culture.
Not what weeaboo means.

>The negative connotation it brings is on you, weeb. You're a weeb, I am a weeb, deal with it. You are afraid to express yourself on the god dam internet with an 'Anonymous' tag. You are proper pathetic.
What the hell are you talking about?
>>
File: Words.jpg (36 KB, 259x400) Image search: [Google]
Words.jpg
36 KB, 259x400
>>63888268
>Not what weeaboo means.
Yes, yes it does. You can be a weeb without liking anime, that's the fucking point.

>Someone who likes anime isn't necessarily an otaku. Someone could also be an otaku without having much interest in anime.
No, see you are mixing up these terms now. That's where you are going wrong. You probably don't watch any anime, so you don't know what you are saying. Japanese people themselves use this term (INSIDE ANIME) to seperate people who explicity obsess about anime and mango, they aren't called weabo's they are called Otaku's.

>What the hell are you talking about?
Read a book, specifically pic related, being a weeb is only a bad thing if you think it's a bad thing. There is literally nothing wrong with being a weeb especially since the Japanese have influneced movies world wide.

You're a fucking pleb, and a weeb.
>>
>>63888456
>Yes, yes it does. You can be a weeb without liking anime, that's the fucking point.
Weeaboo is synonymous with wapanese, which means wannabe Japanese. Someone who is interested in Japanese media and culture is not automatically wannabe Japanese.

>No, see you are mixing up these terms now. That's where you are going wrong. You probably don't watch any anime, so you don't know what you are saying. Japanese people themselves use this term (INSIDE ANIME) to seperate people who explicity obsess about anime and mango, they aren't called weabo's they are called Otaku's.
Not only do I watch anime, but I own several books related to the topic of otaku and have read papers on the subject as well.

An otaku is broadly speaking someone who is a hardcore fan of anime, manga, games (particularly garuge and eroge) and doujinshi and so on. It doesn't require being an anime fan.

>Read a book, specifically pic related, being a weeb is only a bad thing if you think it's a bad thing.
>You're a fucking pleb, and a weeb.
Again, you don't know what weeaboo means.
>>
>>63888685
>Again, you don't know what weeaboo means.
No, I know exactly what it means. It is you who is looking too deeply into an fictional term, just so you can properly identify yourself as someone who likes Japanese culture, but you are certainly not a weeb. becasue being a weeb has some sort of negative connotation attached to it.

The mental gymnastics you are doing is astounding, I am done with this circle jerk, you need to read a book.

>Not only do I watch anime, but I own several books related to the topic of otaku and have read papers on the subject as well.
2/10, made me reply I guess.
>>
>>63879664
This bitch.
>>
I don't mind Yojimbo leaving that much. It's a historically significant movie for sure but without that context, it's not that great on its own. Ran on the other hand is fucking amazing.
>>
>>63888784
Read a book? About a term that was used on 4chan as a world filter for wapanese? Even if someone had written a book about it, why the fuck are you expecting people to have read it?

>2/10, made me reply I guess.
Those books exist and people buy them. Clearly you're not one of them, so maybe it's time to stop pretending like you're some expert on the topic.
>>
>>63888888
WITNESSED
>>
>>63888888
Oh shit these gets
>>
File: 1321140144135.png (92 KB, 242x216) Image search: [Google]
1321140144135.png
92 KB, 242x216
>>63888888
goddamn fuckin shit
>>
>I like japanese movies because it makes me feel more sophisticated than people liking movies from western countries!
>>
>>63888888
yojimbo BTFO

RAN GOAT

Confirmed!!!
>>
File: 1449151095931.jpg (42 KB, 544x499) Image search: [Google]
1449151095931.jpg
42 KB, 544x499
>>63888888

Impressive, nice.
>>
File: 89HANHg.gif (693 KB, 339x279) Image search: [Google]
89HANHg.gif
693 KB, 339x279
>>63876432
>>
>>63888952
No I mean the fact that you are so heavily interested in Japanese culture but you refuse to identify with the term which explicity means someone who is interested in Japaense culture, because of the negative connotation attached to it, which you give it. This place is anonymous, I don't give a fuck if you're a weeb, neither does anyone else, it's simply a meme used to jimmy people. Like yourself.

>Read a book? About a term that was used on 4chan as a world filter for wapanese?
That book will teach you how to properly express yourself, as you have no fucking idea what you are saying. It's got nothing to do with Japanese culture, it's got to do with semantics.

You're a weeb, deal with it.
>>
>>63889079
Weeaboo, again, is synonymous with wapanese which is synonymous with wannabe Japanese. Someone who is really into Japan could be called a Japanophile, but that's different from being wannabe Japanese. I'm not wannabe Japanese.

>That book will teach you how to properly express yourself, as you have no fucking idea what you are saying. It's got nothing to do with Japanese culture, it's got to do with semantics.
What book has been written about the word weeaboo?
>>
>>63876381
For the same reason rick and morty is ahead of senfeild in the TV top list. IMDB is garbage.
>>
>>63889366
>Weeaboo, again, is synonymous with wapanese which is synonymous with wannabe Japanese. Someone who is really into Japan could be called a Japanophile, but that's different from being wannabe Japanese. I'm not wannabe Japanese.
Holy shit, I was joking about your mental gymnastics before, this is just next level.
>all those made up terms to try to keep control of your ego
>all those urban dictionary terms to try to express a simpl term such as weeb
>being this wrong
Not even once. Urban dictionary is not a valid source.

>What book has been written about the word weeaboo?
I am starting to think English is not your first language. You need some more conversation lessons before you try to argue in English. I'm actually done now. Have a good day, Czech scum.
>>
>>63889575
>Holy shit, I was joking about your mental gymnastics before, this is just next level.
It has nothing to do with mental gymnastics. Weeaboo originally meant literally nothing, but then 4chan started using it as a word filter for wapanese. It thus became a synonym for wapanese. That's the origin of the word whether you like it or not.

>all those made up terms to try to keep control of your ego
What made up terms? How am I trying to "keep control of my ego"?

>all those urban dictionary terms to try to express a simpl term such as weeb
I never referenced UD.

>I am starting to think English is not your first language. You need some more conversation lessons before you try to argue in English. I'm actually done now. Have a good day, Czech scum.
Why can't you answer such a simple question? If you're saying there's a book about the topic then surely you can name it.
>>
>>63889733
*facepalm*
>>
>>63876432
he did it
>>
>>63876381
>imdb is an internet site
>millenials dont have the time/sense/culture to see the greats
>only newer films get the ratings as population increases
>halfway decent newer films will be pushed up with blanket 10's

Its not an ideal system, but you have to understand how it works. A lot more people went to see star wars than kurosawa films.
>>
>>63881173

This might be the "weab" opinion, but it's completely true. Japanese care so much more about their art, it would be impossible to make a Kurosawa film in Hollywood.
>>
>>63876432
b8 achieved
>>
>>63891909
That's a dumb opinion. You can make any kind of film you want in America, and it's easier than ever now. No, the top studios who churn out exclusively commercial movies won't fund you, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to make. You're a dumb guy.
>>
>>63892064

That's why I said Hollywood, perceptive one. You can get a Welles or Lynch who insists on his vision, but nothing of any substance from studios.
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.