[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starkiller base
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 14
File: 32.jpg (162 KB, 1179x590) Image search: [Google]
32.jpg
162 KB, 1179x590
Can someone explain to me why this was a thing? In the OT it almost made sense for the then completely dominant Empire to throw a fortune into building some death stars, because they had galactic control and unlimited funds, and already had a massive space fleet and ground forces. The first order though doesn't seem to have jack shit other than an unnamed few systems under their control, and the last battle they faught on Jakku they got thier ass whipped.

Wouldn't it make infinitely more sense to throw all those resources into building a fleet? What are they planning on doing with the starkiller, blowing up every Republic planet? To what end? And why build it with yet another single weak point, after that worked out so well the first 2 times?

None of it makes sense to me.
>>
The starkiller base looks like Snokes head.
It's poetry and very dense
>>
Nobody knows what the deal with anything in this movie was. JJ wants just a remake of a new hope but BETTER but never explained anything.

So in new hope they had a space station the size of a moon that blows up planets right. What if we had space Station the size of a planet that blew up whole solar systems!!
>>
>>63872394
The first ordered is the shattered remnants of the empire and don't have the same support it once had. To regain their power and prove they are even greater than the empire ever was they build the Starkiller base.
It's just another nod to the empire/first order's being a space version of nazi germany. Hitler built lots of megaweapons that were pretty much useless and others that worked. Just to prove he was fucking awesome.
>>
If they blew up Coruscant, they were pretty successful already. Snoke didn't seem to care the planet is exploding anyway.
>>
>>63872394
They basically destroyed the New Republic anyways. Now there's nibody to fund the resistance anyways.
>>
File: sw.jpg (37 KB, 500x480) Image search: [Google]
sw.jpg
37 KB, 500x480
>use sun as an ammo
>It takes around 5 shots to use up the whole sun
>be out of ammo because another sun is light years away and starkiller base canĀ“t reach them
>>
>>63872607
You should know that even through the Starkiller base was destroyed in the end, they still blew up the entire Hosnian System and the Republican government and their fleet.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 240x376) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 240x376
I saw it like this, dunno. First order is like Neo-nazi, they imitate old regime that has nothing to do with them directly. So they blindly copy things using modern resources and technologies. A lot of decades passed since Death Star was planned out by trading federation. Luke nuclear weapons, given enough money even some shitskin scientist can make a dirty bomb nowadays, compare it with 1950s.

Maybe I am just not autistic enough to seek hard realism in sci-fi Disney movie.
>>
>>63872654
They didn't. They blew up the Hosnian system. And the current new Republic capital planet; Hosnian Prime. The Republic vote for capital planets every now and then so the entire republic is far from gone. Only most of the senate and high ranking politicians.
>>
>>63872757
Yes I know, but they vote for new capital planets every now and then, so most of the republic will probably be intact. And I don't suppose the entire fleet and everyone in the senate were in the Hosnian system at the same time.
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 231x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 231x250
Starkiller Base ruined TFA for me. If they'd had a proper space battle - Poe Dameron soloing a Star Destroyer or whatever like in the pc games - I would have walked out of the theater happy. Instead we got this shlock. I felt embarassed to be at the movie when they began to rehash the ANH pre-Death Star briefing.

Speculatively, I gotta lay the blame for this one at JJ's feet. I don't think this was something Disney forced down his throat.

I hope Looperbro tries harder than JJ did.
>>
>>63872740
>implying the planet can't move
>>
>>63872762
If the previous deathstars were fatman and littleboy, starkiller base is an ICBMIRV capable of hitting every target on a continent.

... Yea I meant that to sound stupid but it actually doesn't... at all..

._.
>>
>>63873078
How, there are no thrusters. It can only move by gravitation, and that is bound to the sun. Once the sun is depleted, what happens?
>>
>>63873174
they operate maintaining a minimum power level, charge the weapon with "power to move" as their zero point. When a star is depleted, they use their reserve to put the planet into hyperspace and drop it in another solar system.

I know this isn't explained in the movie or the setup comics (which JJ does because he can't write or balance story with ACKSHUN) but it is kinda basic logic. Or it could just be a fire and forget weapon. Which would fit with the abject insanity of the first order.
>>
>>63873306
JJ is a total hack isnt he? I enjoyed both trek movies, but I also didn't give a single shit about previous trek stuff. He was just as bad for that franchise too from a fans point of view I assume?
>>
>>63873531
Yes, everyone associated with lost has proven themselves to be nothing but total hacks with JJ making a career by being willing to let test marketing and committee make all decisions.
>>
>>63873531
Trek was worse. He retconned more than 500 hours of tv and movie content.
>>
>>63873694
and wiped his ass with anything he didn't retcon
>>
>>63873174
If it didn't have thrusters, how did it even aim?

Just hoping the system they want to blow up is in a straight line from the cannon at some point in its rotation?
>>
The First Order doesn't have their shit together, like at all. I think that's actually the point they're going for, but we'll see.

Snoke better end up being some supreme badass, cause all the other villains were fucking chumped out in TFA.
>>
>>63872394
Death Planet is the worst part of the film

the finale should have been Finn and Poe organising a rescue mission for Rey
She should have been held on the main star destroyer, way less fucking ridiculous than a big laser cannon on a planet

If we needed to have the battle in the snow, just have them bring down the destroyer from the inside (too well defended, most of the pilots are killed and Poe has to retreat, he promises to return with backup or maybe he refuses to leave showing how badass he is) and the thing crashlands on a nearby snow planet

there, same climax but less stupid base and more left for the sequels... although death planet really shouldn't exist in general.
>>
>>63874316
Would have paid much more money to see this instead.
>>
>>63874316
the movie's title crawl is all about finding Luke.

then the plot goes in two directions at once while the Death Planet plot is introduced and resolved at the same time as a Han gets killed. then R2D2 arbitrarily comes back online so the movie can end.

so basically the luke plotline is just so that the movie could avoid starting with a title crawl about how the NEW EMPIRE are building a NEW DEATH STAR, at which point even the people currently praising TFA would realize they're just there to give Disney money. it's trash.
>>
>>63874520
stop being contrarian, rlm btfo you redditors already and /TV/ loves TFA so much it already made a based meme from it
>>
>>63872394
Could you not have built 30 deathstars with all those materials

Would it not be more efficient to do this

would it not be easier to defend this as well

Why do they constantly put all of their eggs in a single fucking basket

Retards

>episode ix
>not 1 but 2 star killers
>ah ah ah
>not 50 death stars only 2 star killers ah ah ah
>>
>>63872594
That sounds like a 5 year old came up with the plan
>>
>>63872607
The Empire was based on a few different dictatorships and fascists governments, not just the Nazis. The uniforms are more akin to WWI german lancers, the structure of the government is more akin to the Roman Empire and the Rise of Caeser, Legions, Imperial Navy Etc...

This new hyper neo nazi seig heiling genocidal brainwashed empire by jew jew is fucking stupid and ruined the empire.

I'm not going to be surprised if we see death camps in ep. 8 to remind us of the 6 gorillion
>>
>>63872607
>The first ordered is the shattered remnants of the empire and don't have the same support it once had

And thats why the Starkiller Base was a retarded Idea to put in the movie when you really think about it.
The Empire in its prime build two smaller Deathstars in secret and needed an unbelievable maount of ressources and manpower to build them.
And here we the First Order, just as you said " shattered remnants " of the former Empire being able to build that thing out of a planet in like 20-30 years while the New Republic still exists, which on the other side either doenst know anything about that ( which is retarded ) or doesnt care ( also retarded )
>>
>>63872781
Its teh typical Shit Jew jew abrams started with Star Trek. every importnat planet can know be reached in minutes.
So we should believe that the capital planet of the New republic was just a day travel away from the biggest fucking weapon of the New order who build that shit out of their ass for 30 years and the republic didnt cared or knew at all.
>>
The briefing scene about Starkiller Base completely exposes the movie as being unoriginal and tired. Han's comment that it's just a bigger Death Star kills any interest in wanting to watch its destruction, because it plays out exactly as it did in ANH.

I don't know why they made the movie itself acknowledge how stupid this was.
>>
>>63875740
You really do have to wonder what the original script was that obviously got cut to shreds for ACTION. No way this got green lit in its current state, nor would Hammil have been there for the reading.
>>
>>63876110
Don't get me started on that. This movie couldn't go 5 minutes without busting into an ACTION scene, where characters are frantically moving and nothing is really happening The only time this movie gets to breathe is when they arrive at Maz's place, but that too ends quickly.
>>
Since it was built into a planet, it was probably cheaper to build. They just had the technology to harness the power of the sun at the time.
>>
File: BIG BLACK STAFF.png (216 KB, 424x365) Image search: [Google]
BIG BLACK STAFF.png
216 KB, 424x365
>>63872394
So, the same megaweapon proves TFA is literally JUST the type of rehash I was expecting, it's nothing but a glib facsimile.

If Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the shit.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kids.
>>
>>63872594
BRAVO JJ HACKSON
>>
>>63872394
>Can someone explain to me why this was a thing?

So they could decapitate the Republic with one stroke from halfway across the galaxy.
>>
File: 45678654.png (2 MB, 1770x816) Image search: [Google]
45678654.png
2 MB, 1770x816
Ideal ending would have been all the X-wings flying away from Death Star 3 at the end and then -- nothing.

It doesn't blow up because someone competent on the inside pulled the plug out of the wall or something before it could overload.

First Order clearly in command. Better find Luke fast.
>>
>>63872394

This was full retard.

OK we get it the empire is evil and a military dictature. But they have engineers, work force, civilians, artists, obviously. They want to conquer not destroy. Why blow up the planets and economy. Make no sense
>>
The only explanation I heard that made some sense, and supposedly is based on the current EU canon too, is that Empire actually still exists as a superpower and that the First Order is just some kind of an offshoot army.

If that's true I suppose it's possible the Empire could have diverted funds into FO's use to have them build Starkiller. The rest would be explained by 30 years' technological advancement.

Doesn't change that having a third death star is narratively stupid.
>>
>>63878270
Literally they say it in ANH:

>Governor Tarkin: The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.

They can just intimidate systems to bend into their will by hanging the death star as a club over their heads.
>>
I honestly thought the whole space battle segment was disappointing for exactly this reason.

The infiltration scene? Good. The final battle? Good, but felt slightly forced. The whole space attack? I did not feel like cheering for them at all because I knew the conclusion, the only cool part was the last sequence with Poe blowing up that core thing. But hell looking back this felt really forced, like "Shit, we need some kind of big plot point, let's just tack this on".
>>
>>63872993
Star killer base was the point of which the movie became underwhelming/average/mediocre for me, rather than enjoyable despite its flaws. They couldn't leave a singe parallel with A New Hope out of the movie.

It verged on insulting tbqh.
>>
>>63878619
It felt like the only reason that Poe existed; to have someone we know in the final assault. That didn't need to exist anyway.

Otherwise they could have merged Finn and Poe into one and lost nothing from the plot.
>>
>>63872394
J.J. only cares how the script works in motion not afterthought, it's obvious he wanted to throw every memorable thing in the OT into this movie to give a nostalgic feeling so people would come out thinking "yeah this must be a Star Wars movie"
>>
>>63872394
These weapons decades to build. It was likely near completion when the empire fell.

Also, I think the SB makes more sense than the Death Star. The death star is too small and only limited to attacking one planet. The SB wipes otu entire systejs
>>
>>63878099

Dunno.
But I think it shouldn't have exploded, just disabled, botching the shot aimed at the resistance, with the planet maybe becoming unstable and volcanic because of the chain reaction fucking up the planet's core.

So now the EVUL EMPIRE lives on a dark, fiery planet.

SUCH POTTERY

Then they go and repair the weapon and proceed to fuck even more shit up
>>
>>63879291
>give a nostalgic feeling so people would come out thinking "yeah this must be a Star Wars movie"

This exactly. It's obnoxious for me to say, but I think a lot of people's estimations of the movie will come down in the next few months/years. The movie was a trick.
>>
>>63877442
>WATCH Akira
kill yourself pleb
>>
>>63876249
Don't think about it bro, turn your brain off!

The movie was good! Everyone else liked it.
>>
But if you kill a sun, haven't you already killed the planet?
>>
>>63881728

Yes. The weapon is completely absurd.
>>
>It's the Death Star but better

>Old Death Star could fire reliably once every 24 hours, Death Star II every few minutes with same level of fire power. Both had Hyperdrive capabilities, could easily move from planet to planet
>Even if it wouldn't happen in a matter of seconds, could easily wipe out an entire system of planets just as feasibly over the course of a week or even a day, and WITHOUT needing the power of a sun to do it, it just recharges on its own.

>Starkiller base was built into a planet with no hyper-drive, could not move at all
>Needed to drain an entire fucking STAR of power (don't even want to ask why that was necessary) to wipe out the entire system at once remotely
>But what the fuck do you do with it after you run out of stars? Hell, as I understand it, most systems only have ONE of those so, you have this massive fucking superweapon that only works once and boom, then it's a planet-sized paperweight you need to evacuate before you freeze to death with no nearby star

How in any goddamned way was Starkiller supposed to be better than the Death Star?
>>
>>63872394
>A FUCKING BIGGER GIANT DEATHSTAR
>>
>>63883120
>Starkiller base was built into a planet with no hyper-drive, could not move at all
source please?
>>
>>63883369
His ass. It would have to be able to travel. Its still a worse offense than Jar Jar ever was.
>>
>>63883369
I can find no online sources confirming that the Starkiller base has hyperdrives, nor is any mention of it ever made in the movie. I realize the absence of evidence is not necessarily the evidence of absence, but if there is nothing to support its existence I see no reason to assume it has them.

There is reason to assume it doesn't have them because, as stated, it is a goddamned fucking PLANET. Moving an entire freaking planet out of its system, with its own atmosphere and biosphere of life through normal space, much less an entire other dimension like hyperspace, sounds goddamned ridiculous, even for Star Wars.
>>
>>63883916
>Its still a worse offense than Jar Jar ever was.
>trying to be cool by saying VII is worse than the prequels
>>
>>63873853
>If it didn't have thrusters, how did it even aim?

The mechanism inside the planet rotated.
>>
>>63883994
>I realize the absence of evidence is not necessarily the evidence of absence
okay then shut up

> I see no reason to assume it has them.
You see it absorb two suns and both deathstars could move. So either it's in a binary system and they designed something that only fires twice or it moves. Really, which of those two is the simpler answer?

>Moving an entire freaking planet out of its system, with its own atmosphere and biosphere of life through normal space, much less an entire other dimension like hyperspace, sounds goddamned ridiculous, even for Star Wars.
So moving a moon is fine but 30 years of working on deathstar technology isn't enough to move a planet? It's not a hard science fiction movie, lightsabers, hyperdrives, and planet destroying lasers are fine but moving a planet is just too far?
>>
File: 64260779.jpg (190 KB, 500x395) Image search: [Google]
64260779.jpg
190 KB, 500x395
>>63884070
> pretend

Ewok adventure is a better movie than 7
>>
>>63872594

> blew up whole solar systems!!

I kinda got a boner for the MIRV aspect of the weapon.
>>
>>63883994
if it cannot move then all that for two shots. Then the planet gets intolerably frozen forever.
>>
>>63883994

I think the idea behind Starkiller is that it can destroy any planet in the Galaxy by shooting Plasma at hyperspace speeds (if Hyperspace ships can move everywhere plasma should as well) which would make Starkiller far more potent that either deathstar.

Fuck the constant escalation of threats but that at least makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the fact that it suddenly needs to eat the local star for dramatic effect when it just BTFU'd 5 others a day ago and would then be a useless ball with no fuel.

At this rate the Resistance... (a really shitty name for a armed group that apparently will not tolerate the empire anywhere and is therefore on the offensive) will be saving the entire Galaxy every other movie.
>>
>>63884518
so its literally a shitty galaxy gun
>>
>>63872394

>The first order though doesn't seem to have jack shit other than an unnamed few systems under their control

Where are you getting this from? From what we saw in the movies (and there was no real exposition stating otherwise) the Empire doesn't seem to have lost any of its strength and is still the big bad power in the area.

The worst offense this movie did to the continuing narrative is not redefining the relationship between the Empire and the rebellion.
>>
>>63872394
>ctrl-f al qaeda
Wow really no one's mentioned them yet?
>>
>>63884640
Which is great when you consider the galaxy gun is pretty shitty to start with.
>>
>>63877442
>you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

Star Wars was never supposed to be sophisticated. That's what made the prequels bad.
>>
>>63884640
Yup. We really need to accept that Star Wars will never have a logical plot.
>>
>>63872665
They killed one solar system not the republic (whatever that is supposed to be these days).
>>
>>63884704
http://www.starwars.com/databank/the-first-order

They have jack shit. They could have built a massive armada, or a fleet of death stars. Instead JJ gives us the shitty starkiller which can apparently fire from the unkown regions to central systems no problem, but was designed without redundancies for critical systems. It makes less sense than rasta aliens any way you look at it.
>>
>>63872394
You know what would make the Starkiller a LOT more threatening for me?

If the whole 'eating suns' thing was the system-killing aspect of it, rather than eating a sun just to use for a shitty 'hyperlight laser beam to blow up lots of planets at once'.

It makes the name a lot more meaningful. It travels from system to system, devouring entire suns from their systems leaving the planets that used to surround to freeze to death or fall out of orbit. A slow, painful, terrifying demise compared to the swift heat death of a simple beam.

Just... it'd be like freaking Star Wars Unicron. An ever-gluttonous monstrosity that didn't give planets the benefit of a swift death, but a long, slow, painful one as they watch the literal light of their lives being sucked in to power the Base's hyperdrives and basic systems. Everything you once knew and believed in reduced to dust and ice to feed a dark engine of power.

God, that would have been so much more terrifying.
>>
>>63872781
>And the current new Republic capital planet; Hosnian Prime. The Republic vote for capital planets every now and then so the entire republic is far from gone. Only most of the senate and high ranking politicians.
They really did throw away this shit into the books instead of the movie. Fucking why?
>>
I like the Starkiller Base. I don't like that they destroyed it.
>>
>>63885051
Looking more at this shit, and going by some of the toys... how much shit was cut from this movie? Who the fuck was constable zuvio... motherfucker has an action figure, but I certainly don't remember him. Same thing with the first order snowspeeder. Just... I think we're missing shitloads of film here somewhere.
>>
>>63885284
It's in the book(s), I guess
>>
>>63885246
>I like the Starkiller Base. I don't like that they destroyed it.

Don't worry. They'll bring back Starkiller Base 2 in episode 9.
>>
I bet you the Imperials are like
>>Okay, this base failed because it wasn't big enough. Therefore, I propose a Jupiter size Space Station that has a ring of Death Stars orbiting it!
>>
I really don't like this one, firing from several star systems away makes no sense, it being visible from spectating star systems is stupid as well.

Makes death stars feel reasonable, because they only fired at nearby things
>>
>>63872781
>republic capital gets fucked by beams everyone everywhere could see
>republic fleet doesn't bee-line to the obvious source for a fuckhuge battle
>>
>>63885376
Its sad that was my first thought leaving the theatre. I need to read the books because this movie didn't say shit about anything going on. Still weird as hell to have these things modeled out, then cut. Are any of the books decent so far? I havent even looked into them yet
>>
>>63885051

>The New Republicā€™s rise reduced the once-mighty Empire to a rump state hemmed in by strict disarmament treaties and punishing reparations.

Which is all great and good but none of this fluff is adequately explained in the film. The first shot was off a massive imperial battleship blotting out a planet. You call that a reduced threat?

The Empire seems completely unaffected by their supposed isolation as well (uniforms/armor are perfect) ships look new (no old relics from the old days or rough modifications from hard use) and their goal is galaxy wide conquest not survival.

Its fine to type this shit out on a website but when it is completely ignored in the movie how is it even relevant?
>>
>>63872394
The movie would have been significantly better without the Starkiller Base. It being there makes no fucking sense.
>>
>1,300,000 Earth size planets can fit in our sun
>somehow uses up suns energy

>The planet does not have a hyper drive
>How do you know that? Did you read the script?

Having a improvement on the death star makes sense realistically. You have the technology why not use it. Destroying the enemies resources (Planets) also makes perfect sense. If you can't see why your a fucking moron.

That being said having another planet destroyer is very uncreative at this point and kind of disappointing to have in the story.
>>
>>63874520
Yeah.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and say that Luke sensed SOMETHING (Rey's awakening, Han's death, or something) and decided to use the Force to activate R2 remotely. In a "it is time" type thing.
>>
>>63885849
This. New characters alone could carry a movie, and the mere existence of first order would be enough threat
>>
>>63885891
>You have the technology why not use it.

They should not have the technology but muh escalation.
>>
>>63875417
That evil general dude was clearly wearing one of those WW2 imperial Japanese hats when he fired up the death star against the Republic
>>
How long does it take them to build these superweapons? The Starkiller must've been less than 30 years, yet it took them 20 years to build the original Death Star which was a fraction of the size
>>
>>63885099
That's actually a pretty good idea....
>>
>>63885798
And see this is a big issue I have with the film. Theres no reason for the first order to be so powerful story wise after RotJ plus what little new cannon Ive seen since then. JJ just didnt seem to fucking care. A kylo/snoke film where theyre building power would be great. ANH remixed is just nonsense pandering.
>>
>>63886032
The only sane explanation is that this is one of Sheevs very first projects, possibly even Plagueis, and the first order just took it over and continued on. Maybe if Snoke is the latter it would make a small bit more sense.
>>
>>63885992
Right because technology does not advance as time goes on.
>>
>>63885099
Folks would just evacuate the planets
>>
>>63886210
So you're saying Sheev had all 7 movies planned out from the start?
>>
>>63884704
I want to see it again because maybe there's a throw away line about where the Resistance ships are coming from. Searching for the New Republic, The First Order, and The Resistance on http://www.starwars.com/databank gives you some info.

Basically the OT was WWI
>empire heavily sanctioned and de-armed, most territory is returned to original governments
>the third reich starts to rise, i mean the first order
>new republic more interested in appeasement than another war
>some senators secretly fund the resistance aka the french resistance
It doesn't line up exactly but it's basically the same
>>
>>63875551
Who says the Starkiller Base was built entirely by the first order ?
The 2nd death star was under constrution by the empire well before the first was complete.
The Starkiller base could have been well on its way , and the first order had 30 years to complete it , even with their lesser resources.
>>
>>63886304
Its a pretty big fucking jump m8, akin to the difference in tech in a grenade vs the latest icbm. Its a retrofitted planet that somehow drains suns, not just a fake moon with a big turbolaser.
>>
>>63886062
my biggest problem is that critics and fans are so overlooking of things like this

I had to look around when ridiculous shit like 5 planets being blown up with little to no mention of them afterwards happened

I dont even know a single name of any person on any of those planets who died.
>>
>>63886414
Well I have to agree with you there. There was not a whole lot of time between 6 and 7.
>>
File: 1425596135474.gif (52 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1425596135474.gif
52 KB, 320x240
>>63877442
>He watches anime as an adult
>He expects people to take his opinions seriously
>>
File: 8765456789.jpg (25 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
8765456789.jpg
25 KB, 300x225
Alright, here's how the official novelization explains it:
Having been gathered in stages by an immense array of coupled collectors located on the other side of the planet, a tremendously compact volume of a type of dark energy known as quintessence had been accumulated at the center of the planet. Held in place inside a roiling molten metal core by the frozen worldā€™s powerful magnetic field, augmented by the weapons systemā€™s own containment field, it grew until there was nothing like itā€”nothing natural like itā€”in this corner of the galaxy. Penetrating to within a predetermined distance of the containment field, an immense hollow cylinder permitted a way out while ensuring that when the weapon was unleashed, gigantic groundquakes would not roil the worldā€™s fragile surface. When the weapons engineers fired the device, a breach was induced in the containment field. At incredible velocity and accelerating exponentially, the concentrated volume of quintessence escaped, transforming as it did so into a state known as phantom energy and following the artificial line of egress that had been provided. Assuming that the rotation and inclination of the planet had been taken into account, the released blast of concentrated phantom energy would travel along a perfectly linear path, punching a small Big Rip through hyperspace itself until it left the galaxyā€”

ā€”or encountered something in its path that was of sufficient mass to intercept it.

So is "quintessence" the new midichlorians?
>>
File: chokes on you.jpg (1 MB, 1632x816) Image search: [Google]
chokes on you.jpg
1 MB, 1632x816
>>63885431

>Maybe we should fix the core weakness first instead of constantly increasing the scale...?
>>
>>63886630
>official novelization
no m8, that is not how to make a movie you fucking son of a bitch
>>
>>63886425
>I dont even know a single name of any person on any of those planets who died.
yeah just like Alderaan

>>63886062
get off your phone
>>
They never say that the first order built it

Also it's inferior to the Death Star in many ways from a strategical standpoint. It's pretty hard to defend an entire planet

But I agree that it's kind of fucked up that the Republic didn't know about it
>>
>>63886630
Further:
ā€œTell us, and let our technical people be the judge of your words.ā€

Taking a deep breath, he gestured at the image of the base. ā€œAs you already know, I was assigned there. In the course of performing my duties, I was rotated to multiple locations around the planet. One is on the side opposite from where the weapon is discharged.ā€

An incredulous Statura cut him off. ā€œThe weapon system is situated on both sides of the planet?ā€

Finn looked at the admiral. ā€œNot only is it located on both sides, the system actually runs through the planetary core.ā€

Murmurs of disbelief rose from those gathered around the projection console.

ā€œAs near as I understand it,ā€ Finn continued, ā€œenormous arrays of specially designed collectors use the power of a sun to attract and send dark energy to a containment unit at the core of the planet, where it is held and built up inside that containment unit until the weapon is ready to fire.ā€

ā€œImpossible,ā€ Ackbar insisted. ā€œAlthough we know there is more dark energy in the universe than anything else, and that it exists everywhere around us, it is so diffuse that it can barely be detected. Let alone concentrated.ā€

Finn persisted, despite the discomfort he felt at disagreeing with someone of Ackbarā€™s rank and experience. ā€œIt can be, and it is,ā€ he responded with certainty.

Statura, at least, seemed ready to believe. ā€œIf the engineering could be worked out,ā€ he observed, ā€œone would have access to an almost literally infinite source of energy.ā€

Finn nodded. ā€œGeneral Hux told us itā€™s the most powerful weapon ever built. He said that it can reach halfway across the galaxy.ā€ Fresh murmurs of disbelief greeted this latest assertion. ā€œAnd in real time. Because it doesnā€™t reach across the galaxy; it reaches through it.ā€ He shook his head, which was starting to hurt from the effort of trying to explain what he had overheard but did not understand.
>>
Because it's much harder to write a somewhat believable plot for destroying a fleet than a single structure, Starkiller Base is just a bigger Deathstar, so no thought had to go into writing it.
>>
>>63874613
Hagahagaga
>>
>>63886783
>technobabble from a janitor
Did he take classes from Jordy in his spare time?
>>
File: hero.png (127 KB, 466x266) Image search: [Google]
hero.png
127 KB, 466x266
So who will be the unsung hero who will sink the Ultra Mega Super Star Destroyer in episode 9?
>>
>>63887164
Poe
>>
>>63887164

>UMSSD

Boring. Unless its galaxy sized death star I aint going to the theater.
>>
>>63875551
>w different dictatorships and fascis
so it has been there for over 30 years and nobody was able to find out about it?

how the fuck can you hide a planet?
>>
>>63887369
What if Snoke is a death star himself?
>>
I think this movie had to happen and episode 8 will offer more fresh ideas and let go of the old star wars tropes.
They had to bring in some new story lines for that and dust of some old ones to reel in "violated" fans. I can't think of any other reason as to why this starkiller base excists. If they had a good explanation for this in the movie for this, no problem. But they don't.
>>
>>63887369
no it's going to be of the size of a solar system and able to destroy a galaxy
>>
Is Snoke a giant?
>>
>>63887513
He's a giant death star rogue AI
>>
>>63887402
the galaxy is a pretty big place anon
>>
>>63887555

So it's all the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo?!
>>
>>63886783
>as you know

literally a cardinal sin of writing.
>>
If they found out how to harness the power of a sun they would have limitless energy. At the end of the day it's a pretty cool location for the final battle so who gives a shit
>>
>>63887513

he's a big guy
>>
>>63887868
> limitless energy
> 2 shots

Pick one
>>
>>63885284
were there even snowtroopers in the movie?
>>
>>63888087
Theres stills and action figures, but no I dont think so.
>>
>>63888087
They showed up for 10 seconds on the Starkiller base bridge iirc
>>
>>63888187
This wasnt a scene... right?
>>
>>63888086

Using it as ammo is ridiculously wasteful. If they turned it into productive energy you could have limitless resources for an extremely long time
>>
>>63885005
They hit the system when the majority of the New Republic Fleet and Leadership were there, it was a big enough blow to give them time to solidify their position as the First Order.
>>
>>63888302
Ye
>>
File: 1441844904524s.jpg (7 KB, 249x243) Image search: [Google]
1441844904524s.jpg
7 KB, 249x243
>>63885458
I don't even know what was blown up. Was it supposed to be just one system? Was it supposed to be multiple planets in different systems? There was literally no explanation whatsoever in the movie.

The "people on the negress-Yoda's planet can see the other planets getting rekd as if they're right next door" bit also really pissed me off. Is the space negress's planet in the same system as the one that gets blown up? In which case, then why does a supposed space pirate haven share the same system as the Republic capital?

And if they're supposed to be seeing a red death beam thats thousands of lightyears away look like an airplane contrail, and other systems that are supposed to be halfway across the galaxy hanging in the sky like a goddamn full moon, then fuck you. Fuck you to hell JJ, and I hope you get stomach cancer for insulting the audience and the Star Wars narrative like that.

Seriously, I hope that Lucas calls in a hit on this hack. It needs to end. Now.
>>
>>63885174
Watch the movie again and pay attention this time. They refer to the system several times as the Hosnian system.
>>
did jarjar just have a bunch of leftover effects from 2009 star trek... from destroying planets
>>
>Bulletkiller Gun
>>
The speech scene and the firing of the weapon scene were the best parts of the movie, but the starkiller base really exposed this movie as a remake of A New Hope. Act 3 should have been something else.
>>
>>63877442
Love anime too, this film disappointed me alot
>>
>>63888599
Its thousands of lightyears, just like in his star trek reboot
>>
>>63888599
JJ can't into scale.
>>
>>63888599
Same thing happened with the deathstar.
>>
>>63877442
>>63877442
literally the 6th time I see this copypasta... please don't make this a thing
>>
>>63873174
How did the Death Star move?
>>
>>63889877
What? The deathstar was seen from the planet below both times. Hows that the same
>>
Starkiller base was the only bad thing about the movie, desu.

That and that Rey was over-powered but I suspect there's going to be some explanation as to how she already knows a bunch of force stuff, probably had her mind wiped Revan style.
>>
>>63889350
I was fine with Starkiller base existing but they shouldn't have destroyed it in the first movie.
>>
File: 4534084-death_star_ii2.jpg (62 KB, 850x364) Image search: [Google]
4534084-death_star_ii2.jpg
62 KB, 850x364
>>63889877
The death star blew up planets by hyperspace-ing into their systems to BTFO them.

And the only time it could be seen in the sky of ANY planet, was when it was in friggin LOW ORBIT over the forest moon.

Pic related.
>>
>>63890730
maybe they are gonna explain her situation in the next movie but i dont think she was that overpowered.
>>
They built the Starkiller to get rid of the Republic, then resistance to their rule is gone. And it was far less resource intensive than the Death Stars because they just built a big gun in a planet, they didn't build the whole fucking planet.
>>
>>63891994
Nigga it takes up more surface area than a deathstar with the trench alone, plus it goes all the way through the core and out the other side. Its far more work than just building another.
>>
>>63877442
I know this copypasta! Well memed goy
>>
>>63888634
Whrere did they say they vote on systems though?
Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.