[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So did John Williams just give up?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: latest.jpg (785 KB, 1144x1400) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
785 KB, 1144x1400
He did great scores for the prequels, what happened with TFA?
>>
>>63871917

Disney and Abrams are not Lucas.
>>
The score wasn't his best

The only songs that will probably be memorable is the attack on jakku and the resistance theme, both of which are very influenced by other songs
>>
>>63871917

Lucas helped feed him the inspiration to give sweeping pieces to help give Lucas his vision, right or wrongly.

Soulless corporations do not feed inspirations. They feed bottom lines. same reason disney let a bunch of people go from their parks and brought in a bunch of foreigners. They're the same free trade bloodsuckers they've always been. Walmart of the entertainment industry.
>>
>>63871917
He knows a hack job when he sees one.

Lucas was an often-shitty auteur, but he was at least an auteur.

I'd imagine it's hard for an octogenarian JW to get too excited about cranking out a killer score for the Disney suits' latest marketing exercise, nor is it likely that he was too thrilled to be working with that hack JJ.

Lucas was a misguided visionary at times, but at least the guy had vision
>>
>>63871917
they want him to do it one every year.
>>
>>63872022
good analogy.
>>
>>63871917
He didn't write the TFA music he just conducted it
>>
>>63871917
>>63872003
>>63871959

The score was actually pretty good if you listen to the Disney released soundtrack. It's implementation in the film was fucking terrible and underwhelming though. Abrams was too much after "muh realism" and "muh practical effects" that he put the music in the backdrop for most of the film.
>>
>>63872046
>he was at least an auteur

auteur, more like autist

kek
>>
>>63872274
Why would those things make him subdue the music? The original movies were all practical effects.

Maybe Abrams is just a director who doesn't care about music.
>>
>>63872303

you enjoy laughing at your own jokes, you're that guy.
>>
>>63872398
it was funny senpai
>>
>>63872303

not much of a difference tbqh familia
>>
Since it's a trilogy, it's possible they're taking a Wagnerian approach to the score, letting the themes whisper in the background in the first movie, develop in the second and explode in their full potential in the third.

I haven't seen the film, so I have no idea how the score was, but why not.
>>
>>63872329

Because he didn't want a choreographed prequel-styled sword fight with epic music. He wanted a shitty fencing duel with no music. Fuck Abrams
>>
He's like 90 or some shit, your brain deteriorates as you get older. They should have just had someone else do it.

It's like having a wise old man be the main hero of the new trilogy, like the new trilogy being about 70 year old Luke learning about the Force and shit. It doesn't make sense. He should have passed the baton to someone else, younger with a brain that is still capable of creating shit.

Not trying to insult him, he's done great work, but he's just old now. I hope someone else takes over for the next movies.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTmP0iBQUkA

this is was so magical, the entire scene reminds me of the start of Nausicaa of the valley of the winds
>>
>>63872573
The music is not reminding me of NausicaƤ, but it sounds pretty good.
>>
>>63872763
the scene where the music is played I mean
it really reminds me of Nausicaa when she finds an ohmu shell
>>
>>63872497
>He's like 90 or some shit, your brain deteriorates as you get older.

He's 83

>Not trying to insult him, he's done great work, but he's just old now.

I don't see how him being old has to do with anything. Ennio Morricone is 87 years old and is still active and composing.
>>
>>63872573

You're not the only one. Rey reminds me a lot of Nausicaa. And her theme is quite beautiful, even if it doesn't have the usual brassy bombast of Star Wars music.
>>
>>63871959
/thread
>>
File: 1443285136930.jpg (52 KB, 454x453) Image search: [Google]
1443285136930.jpg
52 KB, 454x453
>>63872274
>he put the music in the backdrop for most of the film

Unforgiveable
>>
I wouldn't say he gave up, I'd say he was given such intense creative restrictions that rather than just re-write the original score, note for note, he just had a lackey remix it in fruityloops.
>>
>>63874180

Smells like soulless corporation
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.