[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
7.5/10 Would have been a 9/10 if not for the lead actor being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9
File: the-revenant-fn01.jpg (123 KB, 851x478) Image search: [Google]
the-revenant-fn01.jpg
123 KB, 851x478
7.5/10
Would have been a 9/10 if not for the lead actor being poor
Hardy carries the film
>>
meme movie.
only worth watching to see Leo getting his ass raped by a bear,
>>
thanks for saving me the time and money
>>
Really? I've seen the trailer and it looked great.
>>
>>63871682
It wont be surprising if Tom Hardy wins best supporting actor

Leo didn't do much to get an Oscar
>>
>>63871682
so like the every other leo movies
>>
File: 1429091942942.jpg (8 KB, 200x193) Image search: [Google]
1429091942942.jpg
8 KB, 200x193
>This
>The Grey
What are some more movies like this?
>>
>>63871814
Almost.
Inarritu does try to rip off Malick as well throwing in quick frames, but he does a good job.

I hated Birdman so Im not licking Inarritu asshole here
>>
File: leonardo cantactio.gif (485 KB, 245x200) Image search: [Google]
leonardo cantactio.gif
485 KB, 245x200
> Hardy gets the Oscar
> Leo gets clucked again
>>
Movie of the decade that won't get the appreciation it deserves until 15-20 years later when it will be on any worthy critics top 5 of all time lists.

see you fags in a decade in a half
>>
>>63871853
tree of life.

this movies is the exact same type of tree of life.

it's a pretensions piece of shit.
>>
>>63872359
hellooooo reddit!
>>
>>63872359
Lol, what? Tree of Life is unwatchable and this is a pretty straightforward revenge movie with plenty of great action scenes. I get that you're trolling but still...
>>
File: rt-manchild-critics.png (229 KB, 744x1700) Image search: [Google]
rt-manchild-critics.png
229 KB, 744x1700
this movie sucks, it's just a extravagant dad speech about macho revenge shit, i mean come on it's nearly 2016 and this film didn't even have a strong female lead or a strong black lead.

You're better of watching the Hatefull Eight or the force awakens.
>>
>>63871682
>GRRRR LOOK AT MY ACTING FACE!
>I ALMOST GOT HYPOTHERMIA AND I LIVED LIKE A BUM! THIS MAKES ME A GOOD ACTOR!
>>
>>63872423

hello edgy kid, insecure about his spiritually and intellectuality that pretends to have understood a deeper meaning in a pretentious piece of shit movie, but is only spewing what the reviews said we should think about it.
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 452x339) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 452x339
>best sex I ever had
-T. Bear

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>63872547
I understand TTOL but how is the Revenant pretentious you melt
>>
>>63872564

leo looks like the type of guy to eat ass on the first date
>>
>>63872518

>amazing cinematography
>somewhat disconnected continuity
>no character development
>no suspense
>no drama
>boring as shit

Revenant could have been a great movie, but it was turned into a pretentious pseudo artistic piece of shit instead of a based action/drama/suspense manly movie about overcoming and revenge.
>>
>>63872666
>muh revenge
Hey reddit!

Good trips tho, faggot
>>
>>63872639
I heard he can't bear not to eat ass
>>
who /watching the oscars just to see leo's face/ here
>>
>>63872000
>December movie
>Oscar
Hahaha
>>
I didnt even get the main conflict of the movie from the trailer

So Leo gets hurt by a bear, and Hardy doesnt want to carry him, but the others tell him to stop being a whiny baby, then he kills Leo in secret, then changes his mind halfway through burying him?
>>
>>63872666

Indians added to the suspense. The whole scene where he is trying to hide from them and riding the current was suspenseful as fuck. The scenery stopped it from being boring for me.

At least they didn't try to pretend that native americans dindu nuffin.
>>
>>63872804

Gets fucked up, two stay behind to wait for him to die and bury him out of honor? Hardy gets tired of waiting, "kills" him and buries him alive. Other things will spoil I guess. More of a survival movie, survival for the sake of revenge.
>>
>>63872804
Main conflicts
>Leo - muh son
>Hardy - muh pelts
>Gleeson - muh honor
>>
>>63872595

because it is not a drama/action/suspense based movie about overcoming and revenge.

instead it was turned into the directors special personal project of what he thinks is art, with cinematography getting in the way of the flow of the story and pace of the movie, making it very boring most of the time.

we think the tone of the movie is going to be like the first 20 minutes ,when the Indians attack,

but noooo, it's just leo crawling, grunting, eating dirt and cutting carcasses blended with great nature photography, and spiritual flashbacks for 2 hours, when finally, in the last confrontation to movie returns to what it was suppose to be manly drama/action/suspense....
>>
File: 1448180575937.png (467 KB, 529x462) Image search: [Google]
1448180575937.png
467 KB, 529x462
>>63872921
>>
>>63872921
bit unfair. its good up until 70 minute mark, goes poor, and then pulls itself back for the last 20 minutes

it gets poor because it focuses on Leos character who were suppose to be rooting for...couldn't see how though
>>
>>63872747
awardbait is almost always released in december. Limited premier on december 31st exactly, so it's losses won't count in the holiday season.
>>
>>63871796
Hardy did a really excellent job carrying the movie for as long as he is on screen. I don't understand how they thought Leo with his whiny voice and scrawny body could sell everything that happened to his character and live.

The setup to the bear attack was terrible too, he's just walking through the woods and a ninja 1500lb grizzly mother walking-dead-zombie-appears out of nowhere and charges his ass. You're supposed to believe that an experienced woodsman would not spot the signs of bear activity and be on the lookout? Then he's basically superman for the rest of the movie. I understand if you cast some rugged tough looking guy, and then show him struggle, but I thought Leo's performance was garbage. He's not a physical actor, and he isn't some rugged back country badass.

The fact he had a son to make his 'revenge' seem more complete barely even registers. Seems like they added that in there to make his character seem more sympathetic to the audience.

Meanwhile the 'bad' guy Hardy, just wants to get paid for his hard work. Even though we are never shown his backstory, his retelling how he got his scars is more interesting and compelling than the 30+ minutes of useless cliche flashbacks of leo cradling his son as his village burns. Yeah we get it, his wife was killed. Oh you're showing it again, from another angle..

Watch Seraphim Falls if you want to see two excellent character studies, a tale of survival and revenge.

The only interesting bits of The Revenant are the bear attack, which is taken to comedic levels of extreme violence and will make you queasy (except the bear doesn't touch his face or fingers, how convenient), and like I said Tom Hardy's performance.
>>
>>63871682
>Would have been a 9/10 if not for the lead actor being poor
>Hardy carries the film
I don't know if this is a meme or not but it's actually true.

Leo was uninspired and lackluster. Hardy was pretty good though.
>>
File: thank you.gif (2 MB, 350x194) Image search: [Google]
thank you.gif
2 MB, 350x194
>>63873034
>>
>>63873034

Oh boy another Tom Hardy fan boy. Keep sucking his dick for mediocre acting. His whole character was pretty much a greedy merc who tries to talk like Jeff Bridges.
>>
>>63873034
Can you recommend more man vs nature survival movies or documentaries please
>>
>>63873141
Mad Max: Fury Road.
>>
>>63873120
>hardy was mediocre
idiots are not welcome in this thread
>>
>>63871682
screenplay is shit
while Hardy performance is good his character is just a bad guy for the sake of being a bad guy
his character feels so fucking unnatural it hurts
and that's why I didn't give a fuck about muh revenge and the whole final act is shit
>>
>>63873034
>The fact he had a son to make his 'revenge' seem more complete barely even registers.
Good job on not understanding his motivations, idiot.
>>
Just finished watching this and i'm thinking the ones clamming this as "boring" are probably underaged manchildren frustrated about the lack of capes, robots, explosions or pokemons.

>>63872151
I agree, this is one of those rare timeless classics the likes of which come once every decade.

>>63871853
While the subject of the movie is not similar, i think The Road has similarities with both of those.
>>
If you want to watch this done well, check out Jeremiah Johnson
>>
Hugh Glass never killed Fitzgerald.
>>
File: 1397757664312.jpg (763 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
1397757664312.jpg
763 KB, 1280x850
>/tv/ sucks Disney cock in 35 threads at once
>/tv/ doesn't like The Revenant
That's it, I'm leaving this board until Star Wars hype dies down and underaged Reddit tourists go home
>>
What was good about Hardy's performance? His accent was so over the top it was Jeff Bridges' Rooster Cogburn all over again.

>>63873439
Yeah and Captain Henry wasn't killed and scalped by Fitzgerald.
>>
>Budget $135 million[2]
This is going to bankrupt the producers, isn't it?
>>
>>63873473
Id guarantee that reddit will eat the revenant on toast
theres only a few calling it shit in here. Im OP and it would have been a great film if not for dicaprio
>>
>>63873141

Black Robe (indians)
Deliverance (hillbillies)
Jeremiah Johnson (indians)
Apocalypto (mayans)
Pathfinder (1987) (eskimos)
The 13th Warrior (vikings)
Valhalla Rising (vikings)
Black Water (crocodile, outback)
Rogue (crocodile, outback)

Documentary:
Alone in the Wilderness
Alive
Touching the Void
anything with Ray Mears

On my to watch list:
127 Hours
Everest
The Edge
Quest for Fire
Dersu Uzala
Death Hunt
Nordfor sola
Siberia, Monamour
>>
>>63873141
All is Lost
>>
>>63873795
>>63873874
Based anons
>>
>>63873890
Eat a dick, faggot
>>
>>63873319
The original person who the story is based on was just mauled by a bear and left for dead by two of his party who were supposed to watch him die and bury him. He then dragged himself for many miles unable to walk until he happened upon some Indians which tended to his wounds and gave him a horse. He then tracked and found the two men who wronged him.

The writers felt being left for dead wasn't a good enough hook for revenge, so they added the son (only to kill him) and the dead wife backstory to make the character even more justified in taking revenge.

He doesn't have motivations, he is an unrelatable unrealistic character who makes bad decisions and then goes on to have the world's greatest luck streak.

Imagine what this movie could have been if Leo's character was actually morally ambiguous. Maybe he's a bad guy and that's why they want to leave him behind, do you still root for him as an audience.

The fact he has to say "I have nothing left to lose" after they fucking showed you that for 2 hours shows how poorly written his character was.

Let's not forget the completely needless addition of the muh tolerant of indian culture and race-mixing white man angle. Did that add anything to his character?

What was the point of the rapist evil Frenchmen? Ooo the French are so bad.

A movie with no balls.
>>
It's a movie about DiCaprio walking around in snow, swimming in rivers, eating raw meat and making weird faces, while some indian chick whispers things.
Still the best movie of the year.
>>
File: 1235436458.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1235436458.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
It's literally unwatchable.

Wait for a bluray rip to come out. Pic related.
>>
That's some trash quality.

Why not just wait for the actual good rips?
>>
>>63874387
You just laid out why the Hugh Glass character has more motivations for revenge than the real life person.

>who makes bad decisions and then goes on to have the world's greatest luck streak.
Like what?

>Let's not forget the completely needless addition of the muh tolerant of indian culture and race-mixing white man angle. Did that add anything to his character?
You seem to have forgotten that the Indians were just as brutal as everyone else. And him knowing the culture and language of the Indians was the reason why he survived.

>What was the point of the rapist evil Frenchmen? Ooo the French are so bad.
What was the point of the comically evil Fitzgerald? Ooh, a slack jawed Irishman is bad?
What was the point of the barbaric Ree killing so many people just to get their woman back? Ooh, the Indians are so bad?
>>
>>63874387
>unrelatable unrealistic character
he's a character from a period that doesn't any more, what do you expect

>muh race-mixing white man
tons of trappers and mountain men took natives as wives

his original motivation is pretty much muh stuff, he wants his rifle and the other shit Fitzgerald took from him, back. fucking, COMPELLING

Return to your sw stroke-a-thon
>>
>all these gay ass Hardy fanboys

Hey what's that movie where Tom Hardy plays a grouchy, violent psychopath with a weird voice who barely says a thing?

Oh yeah it's only every movie he's ever been in since fucking Bronson.
>>
>>63873473

Wait until the movie hits the theater and Reddit is cumming all over it. Then you will see /tv/'s hatred set to max.
>>
>>63874579
The version I just watched is fine you faggot. Looks better than your shitty screencap
>>
>>63875272
what is locke faggot
>>
>>63871682
LEOFAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>>63872864
Three stay behind, one DeOscario's son. Twink never intended to wait more than a few hours and was WITNESSED by Injunboy, who he then kills in front of DeOscario.
>>
>>63875467

I was trying to give him a quick spoiler-free synopsis of the beginning faggot.
>>
>>63871682
MOTY even with mediocre Leo
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.