[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Find a flaw without resorting to racism. Protip: You can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 21
File: finn.jpg (246 KB, 1244x794) Image search: [Google]
finn.jpg
246 KB, 1244x794
Find a flaw without resorting to racism.

Protip: You can't
>>
The magic is gone. It's just powerlevels.
>>
he's comedic relief

we wuz kings and he shoulda been a jedi nigga
>>
File: Untitled.png (175 KB, 424x365) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
175 KB, 424x365
>>63862806
You're right.
>>
>>63862806
"racism" is now so elastic a term it's meaningless.

all i see is a dirty munky
>>
>>63862806
He didn't use his massive tree trunk thighs to tackle kylo.
>>
File: How About That, It Fits.jpg (125 KB, 945x1089) Image search: [Google]
How About That, It Fits.jpg
125 KB, 945x1089
>>
>>63862806

I liked the actor, but the development of his character was forced and not well paced.

I would have liked to see him fight through some battles and live as a stormtrooper for a while before eventually turning to the light side. You can't just break indoctrination as quickly as he did, it's not humanly possible.

>Muh force

JJ Abrams used the force for things he should not have as well, and used it as an excuse to do things that would have otherwise forced him to be creative.
>>
File: Luke-rotjpromo.jpg (31 KB, 400x550) Image search: [Google]
Luke-rotjpromo.jpg
31 KB, 400x550
>>63862838
Find a flaw.

You can't.
>>
should've been the main character and became a jedi
much more of an interesting story of a stormtrooper defying his brainwashing to become a jedi
>>
>>63862806
Honestly, he was vastly more compelling than Rey. He didn't feel like diversity bait.
>>
Janitor
>>
>>63862806
He's the outlet of the film's most out of place humor.
>>
>>63862882

>You can't just break indoctrination as quickly as he did, it's not humanly possible.

The way I interpreted it was that the village raid was the straw that broke the camels back. At least that's what it seemed to be from my point of view.
>>
>>63862966

Nope, he specifically said that it was his first combat mission ever.
>>
>>63862806
underbite
>>
>>63862806

How the hell is he able to fight with a lightsaber without seriously injuring himself?
>>
>>63863044
but before that he worked as a janitor, it's hard to be indoctrinated like a soldier if you're literally in deep shit
>>
>>63862806

Unless it's expounded upon in later films, his breaking indoctrination on his first ever missions is unlikely at best, impossible at worst.

His character is the type better suited to be a constant throughout the first movie THEN change sides in a later installment.

It's the same problem as Rey in that their character arcs are fine by themselves, but are just greatly accelerated.
>>
>>63863044

Just because it's specifically his first combat mission doesn't mean he doesn't overhear other storm troopers in the mess hall casually talking about murdering civilians and thinking that maybe that's a bit fucked up.
>>
>>63863106

>Hard to be indoctrinated

He was indoctrinated since childhood and somehow broke his meticulous programming in seconds.

It takes more time than that to accept that you're doing the wrong thing, you go through stages of denial and frustration before you eventually break out.

The Force isn't some plot device that automatically lets you do the right thing.
>>
He was better than I expected, but there was just something about his speech patterns that sticks out. It's almost like some movie where somebody from the modern day is transported to medieval times, where everybody speaks accurately to the time period.
>>
>>63862901
I agree.

Rey was terrible.
>>
>>63862806
He's completely useless at everything he does and only accidentally assists through dumb luck

He's C3PO in human form
>>
>>63862806
>Racism is evil, I'm a brainwashed faggot.
>>
>>63862806
He literally looks like an ape.
>>
>>63863173
I think he went through those stages when he was working as a janitor, they don't have to show us everything senpai, I hope they're gonna explain it though, his backstory is much more interesting than rey's
>>
>>63862898

He's force sensitive. It's implied when Ren noticed him at the beginning while the storm troopers were killing the villagers.

He sensed it.
>>
>>63862806
>cleans toilets for a living
>too much of a pussy for combat despite training literally his entire life for it
>gets scared of his female boss like a beta
>such a retard he has to get someone else to fly him out the base as he cant come up with another way himself even though that'd obviously get him in much more trouble
>lies about being a resistance fighter like a typical good for nothing n-.. .not honest person
>gets scared of a girl with a stick like a beta
>tries to take her by her hand and gets rejected twice
>tries to take cover from laser fire in a tent like a moron and tries to go for the worst looking ship there
>would have gotten caught lying if BB-8 didn't back him up
>would have gotten tentacle raped if a girl hadn't saved him
>tries to hitch a ride off the planet as soon as he can like a coward
>almost gets his ass beat by a dude with a baton even though he has a fucking lightsaber
>gets captured like a chump minutes later
>endangers the fate of the galaxy from lying about knowing how to blow up the new death star
>too much of a beta to take real revenge on Phasma and even lets her live so she can come back to fuck him up in the future movies
>doesnt even get to save the girl as she is more competent than him
>expecting her to kiss him for coming
>gets rejected for the third time
>continues to beta orbit her as always
>white knights her when Kylo shows up and gets his ass kicked even though his enemy took a powerful blaster shot to the stomach
>the last thing Rey, the girl he risked his life for several times, says to him, is that hes her FRIEND
>friendzoned so hard he even felt it in a coma

biggest useless beta in cinema since Peeta in the Hunger Games
>>
>>63863171
This.

The problem with people today is that they need to be fucking spoonfed, because if something is implied it just flies over their fucking heads.
>>
>>63863370
No, you dolt. He sensed his hesitation and mixed emotions concerning his orders.
>>
>>63862806
>guy was literally casted because the director openly hates white people
>we're the racists
>>
>>63862806
Birthing hips
>>
File: 1432338718750.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1432338718750.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>>63863105
Are you fucking retarded? Go outside and swing a stick around. Did you hit yourself with the stick? No? Good job, you can swing a fucking lightsaber.

Jesus.
>>
>>63863748

You can feel the weight of a stick.
>>
His comedic relief for no reason was awful.

If they kept him an altruistic, genuine person instead of trying to write him as Jar Jar it would've been much better. Not to mention I don't think Boyega did particularly well.
>>
>>63863764
Make twirly motions and swing your hand around while visualizing a stick in it. Did you hit yourself with the imaginary stick? Congratulations, you can swing a lightsaber.
>>
>>63863823
I feel like people are missing the biggest flaw here. The comic relief was bad, yes. But him being a genuine, altruistic person is just as bad. He's been conditioned from birth to do nothing but slaughter people. You don't escape from that with a normal personality. He'd be a fucking psychopath.
>>
>>63862806
The movie seems to be pushing for him and Rey to hook up. Him and Poe make a much better couple.

>>63863530
>>the last thing Rey, the girl he risked his life for several times, says to him, is that hes her FRIEND
>>friendzoned so hard
God I hope so.
>>
File: gegtr.gif (971 KB, 430x232) Image search: [Google]
gegtr.gif
971 KB, 430x232
His casting was done because JJ is Jewish. For some fucking retarded reason, Jews want to wipe out white people (even though most Jews are white). One of the many ways that Jews try to wipe out whites is by promoting interracial relationships. They do this by having most of their movies feature black man/white women relationships. Take a look a Will Smith's latest movies. He fucks a blonde chick in every one.

The black guy in TFA was literally cast because he's black, not because he's any good as an actor.
>>
File: Hate8BlackDingusa.png (2 MB, 3200x1800) Image search: [Google]
Hate8BlackDingusa.png
2 MB, 3200x1800
>>63862806
It was great.

Black man was decent and didn't force people to blow him.
>>
>>63862806
The film should just have been about him and Poe. Rey was shit.
Also, why did the Empire build another Death Star? Wasn't it enough to know that the first 2 failed? How comes Kylo was such a little bitch? I mean seriously, people laughed when he revealed his face over here. Not to mention he got his ass kicked by a completely untrained person in lightsaber combat.
>>
He is ugly
>>
File: 1436374845937-0.jpg (216 KB, 500x530) Image search: [Google]
1436374845937-0.jpg
216 KB, 500x530
>>63863171
>Ebil space nazis will talk about killing space niggers, and space mudslimes with a smile on their faces like some kind of caricature.

EMPIRE BAD
REBELS GOOD
>>
>>63863877
Yes, that's probably my biggest gripe. Him getting through training at all is laughable, much less him somehow finding his way out. He should've been a fucking drone pilot or something. That would've made more sense.
>>
>>63862806

Where did the force ghosts go? Why didn't Anakin just tell his grandson he turned good at the end?
>>
>>63863530
They're just foreshadowing for Rey to come around and take the BBC in VIII or IX

This is Disney kikes we're talking about, anon
>>
>>63863958
So when is /tv/ going to stop pretending Tarantino isn't a mentally ill hack?
>>
File: no-moon-4ecbf76-intro.jpg (45 KB, 640x268) Image search: [Google]
no-moon-4ecbf76-intro.jpg
45 KB, 640x268
I was genuinely surprised how much I liked his character. They managed to make him a funny character without turning him into a walking joke.

The idea of a run-of-the-mill Stormtrooper turning into a hero is really neat, too.

He was a much better protag than the cardboard box named Rei.
>>
>>63863877
>genuine, altruistic person
Man, he was thinking with his dick. Like a true beta, he became a loyal puppy to the first girl that didn't look at him with disgust.
>>
>>63864041

soldiers from all armies will boast about their kills to sound hard, /pol/ kiddo
>>
>>63862806

Uh, it's a remake of a new hope?

It had no iconic scenes or lines?

It's just a really workmanlike but ultimately forgettable film. It's nice that it was really well shot and had a good sword fight at the end but nobody will remember this movie in 5 years.
>>
File: 1371742197.jpg (116 KB, 625x409) Image search: [Google]
1371742197.jpg
116 KB, 625x409
>>63862806
He was a pretty shitty character
>>
File: 1440141795716.jpg (10 KB, 200x224) Image search: [Google]
1440141795716.jpg
10 KB, 200x224
>>63864191
>Le yer a /pol/lack meme
>Le dehumanizing people because it fits my worldview and stops me from thinking meme

Keep
Cryin'
Bitch
Nigga.
>>
He is useless character, they didnt develope his stormtrooper side at all. Resistance trusts him, he isnt brainwashed, he has no problems killing other stormtroopers.
>>
>I-I can't kill these people ;_;
10 minutes later
>MOWING DOWN MY FORMER FELLOW SOLDIERS WOOOOOH
Also, just like every other character in the movie, he gets to attached to the other characters right away for no reason.
>>
>>63862806

Finn was literally the best thing about the movie.
>>
>>63864238
>I say all sides of all conflicts do that
>youre just dehuminzing people you dont like!

you got me good there I'm really mad irl
>>
I can't even talk to my friends without one of them calking me a racist for criticizing Finn. John Boyega was a bad cast, he didn't really feel like he belonged in a lot of his scenes because he mad me feel so against what was happening despite his character trying to usher it along.

Like everyone else had this good pacing with what was happening and he kept disrupting it and felt like the movie was being stalled because of him like I'm trucking along in my car and someone cuts me off and is wreckless and all over the road speeding up and slowing down. Maybe i get where I'm going around the same time regardless but the drive was disrupted often so it was aggravating.

Someone put into better words what I'm trying to convey because that's what John boyegas acting did in a number of scenes.
>>
>>63864306
>Poe saves him from brainwashing and is the first person to show him respect

hmm why would he become attached to him hmmmmmm
>>
>>63864415
>he mad me feel so against what was happening

maybe you are a racist
>>
>>63863600
>Fin hearing the crys of
millions suddenly silenced.
yeah.
>>
File: 1347541108375.jpg (71 KB, 720x636) Image search: [Google]
1347541108375.jpg
71 KB, 720x636
>>63864405
Hey, don't listen to that guy, war is pretty bad, and anyone who holds a gun and needs to shoot at his fellow man is usually a bloodthirsty moron.

The rebels are the good guys because, well, they're not nazis, seriously, racists bigots will try anything to justfiy their narrow minded views.

I mean shit, it's 2015!
>>
>>63863836
oh come on you fucking faggot
>DURR DURR IM APPLYING THE LAWS OF REAL LIFE PHYSICS AND WHATNOT TO A FICTIONAL OBJECT THAT'S BEEN ESTABLISHED TO REQUIRE FORCE SENSITIVITY TO BE USED
>>
>>63864415
Boyega is one of the better actors on set, so when he's in a scene, he takes you out of the movie, because everyone is kinda bland.

His casting is also sorta shit, they were looking for big guys for the role, but the role is just poorly written.
>>
>>63864306
I disagree with the latter point, but agree with the former.

>>63864419
>>Poe saves him from brainwashing and is the first person to show him respect
Fucking what? Did you even see the movie? Poe didn't save him; he saved Poe.
>"Fuck this Empire shit; they crazy."
>"Hey, that guy we just captured 's supposed to be like, a super-pilot, right?"
>"Okay, I break him out, get him to a TIE Fighter, and he flies me away from this madhouse!"
>>
He don't

Know wut

Ta do
>>
>>63864415
He is a good actor. But his character is badly written.
>>
>>63863258
>look mum I'm on 4chan
>le politically incorrect opinion

>>/b/
>>
What is the word for subtle details? For example at the start with the vulture like creature trying to pick the brains of an android and later when a storm troopers gets shot by the crossbow you even hear the plastic crack and hit the floor
>>
>Finn was useless!

You are now aware that Finn was the only character in the entire movie that did not miss his intended target a single time with a blaster.
>>
>>63864584
>He is a good actor.

in what?
>>
>>63864648
Yeah. I thought it was pretty impressive after the bar raid how he picked up a blaster on the ground, and shot a guy in the chest without even really having to aim at all. It was immediate.

The only better shot was Han; who in the same scene didn't even have to look to get off a perfect shot.
>>
>>63864665

attack the block is well good innit bruv
>>
>>63862806
he's too sweaty in every image of him ever
>>
>>63864229
carlos you hoe
>>
>>63863173
It wasn't about right and wrong. It was about dying. He didn't really care about the rebels, people assumed he did because he was the main pov character but he started selfish and just tried to escape dying as some nameless goon in a battle. Its his crush/admiration for Rey, Poe, and Han (why are all the main characters' name three letters) that turned him to their side. Like, he even says during the finale "I'm not here to turn off the shield, I just want to save Rey"
>>
>>63864524
>Phasma: report for reconditioning
>*Finn looks scared*
>*awhile later*
>Poe: why are you helping me?
>Finn: it's... the right thing to do!
>Poe: you need a pilot don't you
>*Finn gives guilty look*

you infer from his reaction he needs Poe's help as well, sorry you have aspergers and cant read facial expressions, one day there will be a cure
>>
>shitty acting
>only there for plot development
>>
>>63864746

Why the fuck did he give a shit about Rey?

It's too difficult to grasp the motives of these characters. Especially Rey, who just seems to follow everyone around.
>>
Pretty useless in the movie
>>
>>63864793
>Why the fuck did he give a shit about Rey?
Because he fell in love with her. Why did I need to tell you that?
>>
>>63864761
Isn't that what I said?

Yes it was just to save himself, but Finn is still the one who saved Poe in the first place.
>>
>is set up to have grown up as a trooper his whole life
>first time he sees combat he freaks out, okay he's a coward and did not like the idea of killing innocents
>was totally okay with working on a planet capable of destroying trillions of people
>decides over the course of an hour to desert the first order because he does not want to kill anyone
>starts killing fellow troopers with no freaking remorse and cheering. These were his comrades
>Has a hatred for phasma when she really did not do anything at all to him, in fact she was very lax with him
>becomes jar jar levels of annoying 50% of the way in
>gets sliced by a saber across the spine, gets put into a ship and travels back to home planet for triage. (in OT it took a long ass time to get from planet to planet, in this new one like in the trek reboots it takes seconds i guess)
>Still one of the only good characters in this movie.
>>
>>63862806

He was great Better than I expected. The girl couldn't act at all though
>>
>>63863764
lightsaber hilts are weighted too

The blade not having any weight means that its perfectly balanced. A fine weapon for a more elegant age.
>>
File: 1364477756116.jpg (166 KB, 669x667) Image search: [Google]
1364477756116.jpg
166 KB, 669x667
>>63864862
>>
Finn was okay. He was a comic relief character and he did well at that role.
My problem is the excessive amount of comic relief, which is a problem from Disney in general. Think of the scene in which Ha, Chewie and Finn enter the enemy base and the capture Finn's former commander, and Finn is like "Who's the boss now!". The whole thing felt out of place.

Another thing I didn't like was that Finn and Rey's deep friendship came out of nowhere. They met each other for a few weeks and now they're best buds?

Kylo Ren was a terrible character. There was absolutely nothing good about his character, unless you like edge for the sake of edge.

Things like Rey knowing how to use the Force proficiently pissed me off, but this aspect may be explained in the next movies.

I hope there's a good explanation for Luke going into hiding, rather than fighting along the Rebels, because he's an important and necessary force against the Dark Side.

The orange character that talked to Rey about her destiny seemed all sorts of silly. This character, as far as a I remember, has never been particularly established, and there she was, acting like some big oracle.

Anyhow, this one isn't a complaint, but I remember reading that Boyega was asked to use an American accent in the film. which he delivered. However, Ridley's accent was clearly British. I found it funny she wasn't asked to Americanse her accent.
>>
File: 1444564971014.gif (9 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1444564971014.gif
9 KB, 645x773
>>63864954
>>
>>63864954
>Finn keeps trying to take her hand
>Han can tell hes hot for her and warns him that your woman can always tell when you're lying
>expects her to kiss him when he comes to save her
>but you're autistic if you think hes in love with her

ok autie freak
>>
>>63864975
when a movie isn't working on a story level, just adding lots of jokes is the best way to hide it (think how little plot comedies can get away with).

they knew the story wasn't focused enough and tried to be as ingratiating as possible to make up for it.
>>
>>63862806
His change of heart was extremely sudden. They can say that it happened over time but without any visual representation he just seems like some dude who randomly decided to change sides.
>>
File: dave+lister+1[1].jpg (25 KB, 420x325) Image search: [Google]
dave+lister+1[1].jpg
25 KB, 420x325
>>63865049
it was a missed opportunity to do something original.

instead of tackling all the issues that would have arisen from treating one of the Stormtroopers as a protagonist, even temporarily, they effectively just started with him being a Rebel who got drafted.

he didn't even try to maintain his neutrality and avoid being drawn back into the conflict later. there was the most minimal "arc" possible. they even made sure to specify that he was barely a combat trooper by making him a janitor.

honestly it was less compelling than if Dave Lister from Red Dwarf had been a Stormtrooper.
>>
>>63863370

>being this retarded
>>
>>63862806

Abrams/Disney resorted to racism by casting him. It's not racist to point out racism in other people's actions.

The flaw is racism.
>>
>>63864793
Because she was like the first girl he saw and he thought he could be a hero by beating up some randos who were mugging her. So he had sudden and powerful oneitis.
>>
I haven't read anything on this site for the last couple days Star Wars has been out but I saw it tonight.

Anyways, Carrie Fisher's performance was terrible. Her horrid acting stopped the movie in its' tracks. She was noticeably bad. That's my whole take from the entire movie.
>>
>>63865064

I'd see the movie 10 times if Lister was a storm trooper
>>
I called this.

Everyone was pissed about the black guy and ignored that a fucking girl was the main character.

I knew he would be good or at least not a problem.
>>
>>63862839
pol tier
>>
>>63865144

Pretty sure Brienne of Tarth was the first girl he saw.
>>
>>63862806
original planet of the apes was better
>>
>>63865144
I honestly hope he and Poe end up being gay

>>63865259
>girl
>>
>>63865259

Shes going to be the new Boba Fett isn't she? Fan favorite who never actually does anything
>>
>"Because its the right thing to do"

Best Star Wars character
>>
File: ThatsNoMoonMan.gif (168 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
ThatsNoMoonMan.gif
168 KB, 300x300
>>63862806
he was a traitor
>>
>>63864793
I have autism and I need george lucas to explain me how humans behave and interact, I love the prequels too
>>
>>63862806
>"I'm not a killer"
Kills troopers with ship lazors.

>"Order can't be defeated. I've seen some shit."
Runs away after first mission. Never left base before.
>>
>>63864221
what movie?
>>
>>63865340
Because he has seen the weapon that they are building
>>
>>63865307
Fett was actually good and respected. She just got her shit wrecked
>>
>>63865307
That is their hope. Although this time it is calculated.

But I think it didn't work.
Traiter-stormtrooper filled that role.
>>
>>63865340
killing is bad, unless you have the moral highground, then everything it's ok :)

like killing racists & bigots
>>
>>63864975
oh I thought her using the force was a result of mind reading Kylo, which she understood how to do when he was doing it to her and since she was also force sensitive I understood it as being somewhat of a two-way street. That's not a great rationale, even if its what they were going for they didn't establish it, but the force doesn't seem to have a ton of concrete rules. Like, Vader can choke fools from a huge distance away, why not just set up a camera and show Vader the screen, mission accomplished.

I also think they treated the force a little differently. In the originals it felt like a martial art, in the prequels it seemed to be a genetic superpower that just made you better at everything, but here it feels a bit like bending in Avater The Last Airbender, where sometimes the force manifests itself due to the user's emotions with like 0 training.

I also think Rey isn't challenged as much because she isn't the main character, Fin is, and she's filling the Han Solo role of classic wish fulfillment scifi hero character type character. Where Poe is the principled rebel fighter of Leia who gets captured.
>>
>>63865259
more specifically, first girl his age who wasn't a brainwashed space nazi.
>>
>>63862806
>Find a flaw

TRAITOR
>>
>>63862806
shoots his former comrades -- who he grew up with and trained with since childhood -- without any hesitation.
>>
>>63865499
You take that back, Phasma wasn't brainwashed
>>
File: boyigga.png (512 KB, 618x753) Image search: [Google]
boyigga.png
512 KB, 618x753
Finn is basically a lying selfish scum bag. Here is why:

>Toilet cleaning Stormtrooper, somehow gets sent to combat
>is terrified immediately of combat
>helps Poe break out only because he needs a pilot
>lies to Poe about his intentions saying "it was the right thing to do"
>blasts a ton of non-combat personnel in the control room
>uses Rey by lying to her saying he's in the Resistance
>looks like he probably smells like poo
>cowardly tries to kill with a poisonous gas booby trap
>tries to flee to the outer reaches, clearly only cares for himself
>decides to stay for a chance to get up in some white booty
>gets beat up by a stormtrooper with a baton while he has a lightsaber
>completely makes up a bullshit battle plan to the Resistance generals just so he can attempt to save Rey
>absolutely no concern for the botched operation and countless lives lost by him lying

This guy was really a piece of shit
>>
>>63865691
Finndu nuffin
>>
>>63863877
>He's been conditioned from birth to do nothing but slaughter people.
The guy was put on fucking clean up duty. It's clear he wasn't conditioned all too well.

>inb4 they would have detected his desire to leave
They state in the movie that he passed his evaluation fine meaning their evaluation methods are fucking trash.

Also, he still remembered being taken as a child. It's not like he fell in love with the people who kidnapped him.
>>
>>63862806
Irrelevant throw away character.
he could have been a chewie and there would be no difference.
>>
>>63865565
No she was his scary boss who worked for the first order cause she is a merc in it for the money
>>
File: 1423007279576.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1423007279576.gif
2 MB, 300x225
>>63862806
JJ is a retarded SJW with a boner for unnecessary 'diversity' but I don't get the hate for Boyega, he was pretty based imo and his chemistry with Isaac made some of the best scenes of the entire movie.

Try to see it from Boyega's perspective. It's pretty clear from his interviews he doesn't have any sort of 'agenda', he's just a naive 23 year-old fanboy who's been astoundingly un-butthurt about the stormfags. Would you decline the role of a lifetime just because your director was a cuck?
>>
>>63862806
His character development is too fragmented and unexplained. There is context to his betrayal of the empire, and no good reason.
>>
>people complaining about Finn killing

Finn only killed when it came to saving his own ass, and he only objected to killing when it was a village on innocents.

Finn made it clear many times he wasn't against using a blaster, he just didn't enjoy doing it and would prefer to just disappear and do shit work in the middle of nowhere.

He's basically a coward who only stopped being a coward because he got a boner for a girl. If you think you were supposed to love his character most of the time then you don't understand writing in the slightest, and probably failed high school lit.
>>
>>63866192
Meant no context
>>
>Get hit by blaster
>Blood
I don't get it. The heat from the shot should instantly cauterize the wound.
>>
>>63865526
This could have been bad but the delivery of the line was perfect. I like that scene.
>>
>>63866203
Freeing a prisoner and running away from the empire is kind of brave. I don't think it was just cowardice, it probably would be safer for him to have continued killing civilians for the empire. He probably had some moral, personal reasons for leaving that hasn't been properly presented yet.
>>
>>63862806
Darth Swe'At
>>
>>63866192
1. Most of the character development is that way because 70% of the movie was jerking off the audience of fans with throwbacks to the original trilogy. This had to be done to get the audience on board, and judging by the reaction it worked

2. The guy was taken as a child by space nazis, thrown on toilet duty, and finally told to murder a village of people. Finn didn't immediately side with the "good guys" he just didn't want to be a space nazi anymore.
>>
>>63866289
He did it to save his own ass. He wasn't a coward in that he was too afraid to pick up a gun, he was a coward in that most of his reason for helping out the rebellion was to get out of the war, and he only kept staying because of his love for Rey.
>>
>>63866314
The question is why is he different from the rest.
>>
>>63862882
Exactly this. He honestly didn't act too bad, it was just that his character was really shallow and felt forced. He was supposed to be trained and indoctrinated from childhood and all of a sudden he's like 'AW HELL NAW SHAWDY' which felt really weak. And if Poe just encountered Rei after the fleeing from the skirmish then Finna could have been cut out completely.
>>
>>63866409
I think the word coward is too harsh, even Rey didn't really want to help the rebellion. The problem is that we have no idea of what he experienced in the Empire, what caused him to become so different, it seems cowardly only because we have insufficient development so far.
>>
File: 1450185284928.jpg (1 MB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
1450185284928.jpg
1 MB, 2880x1800
>>63862806
Finn's character was fine. My ONLY real complaint with him is that he was pretty useless and didn't get that much to do often

To fix the movie Rey should have done less and Finn be more useful. I know Rey was supposed to be stronk womyn but fuck man give her some flaws. She kind of eclipses Finn in usefulness the entire fucking movie when Finn should have had a more Han Solo-esque use to him
>>
>>63866463
To be fair Rey kind of eclipses everyone.
>>
>>63862806
he was a good character. Much better than Lando or Windu (meme characters)

and I'm a racist who hates that there is no clear cut fully white male protagonist
>>
>>63862806
TRAITOR !!!!
>>
>>63866486
True

Even Han Solo kind of came off as a useless bumbling moron so that Rey had to do more
>>
>>63866417
Why did most people who were drafted decades ago willingly stay?

There has always existed the small percentage of soldiers who make an attempt to leave.
>>
>>63866530
Being raised your whole life to a singular cause is different from being drafted. It seems like it would take a special reason for him to leave.
>>
>>63866463
oh that's just it, I thought that while she had a different 'profession' she was supposed to be the Han style wish fulfilment character
>>
>>63866566
He remembers being taken well enough for him to have had to have been at least 5-6 when it happened.

He was most likely one of the few who never took to the cause. Now take this asshole who has only ever known the washbucket and doesn't care for the cause and tell him to invade a village, and murder the inhabitants.

Finn didn't need a special reason. He was a poor soldier who when the time came to go big or go home, went home.
>>
>>63862828
He's going to be a jedi. Literally all of the marketing and merchandise has him holding a lightsaber and he has no other defining skills.
>>
I actually liked the idea of having a character who isn't some god of piloting or fighting or whatever. His character works but has a bunch of problems, mostly having to do with how fast the character changes and moves. The characters decisions seem to be made on the spot without much development beforehand; first he is scared of fighting, then he decides to commit treason and try to run away with a prisoner, then he starts killing his coworkers. There just seems to be too big of a jump between those things, especially considering it all happens within the span of a couple minutes. Likewise, his relationships with characters are built too quickly - they're not really developed, but he just instantly becomes good friends with Poe and Rey. Some of this stuff might be excusable but the movie just does a really poor job of creating a reasonable character arc from coward to hero.

Rey is far worse IMO. I guess her character arc for the movie would be moving on from the past and looking towards the future, as it's the only real conflict she faces - deciding whether to stay on Jakku or not. But it's all poorly done and her internal conflict doesn't really end up having to be overcome to beat Kylo Ren and save the day, where at least Finn's was relevant.

Finn's character might be a 5/10 on the character scale but Rey gets a 2/10 at best.
>>
>>63866709
That he abandoned the empire just because he randomly didn't take to the cause seems like it would make his character far less compelling, and frankly too shallow to be a good main hero, which makes me doubt they would go this route.
>>
>>63864508
You need force sensitivity to be good but Finn just makes like 8-9 shitty blocks/slashes for a whole cumulative minute throughout the movie. There is literally no reason why simply swinging around a Saber would require sensitivity.
>>
>>63866845
The oddest thing about Finn is he becomes pals with Poe immediately and doesn't want to kill, yet supposedly has zero friends within the storm troopers that he hesitates to fight.

What a missed oppitunity it was not having him be close friends with another storm trooper or phasma who remains loyal to the order and have to confront them
>>
>>63864975
>Another thing I didn't like was that Finn and Rey's deep friendship came out of nowhere. They met each other for a few weeks and now they're best buds?
Going through a life and deaths situation like that brings people a lot closer to each other than you'd think. Maybe not BFFs close, but closer than you're thinking.

You probably wouldn't know of anything like that from the safety of your own bedroom, though.
>>
>>63866999
>You probably wouldn't know of anything like that from the safety of your own bedroom, though.

In how many life and death situations have you been then big shot?
>>
>>63864508
Where or when has it been established you NEED to be force sensitive to use a lightsaber? Go a head and tell me.

All they ever say is it's "the weapon of a Jedi" or "tool of a Jedi". It makes sense no one else uses them since they couldn't use the force to help blocking incoming fire (and force uses could just force push them away), but there has never been anything stop people from swinging them around.
>>
>>63863764
You can see the lightsaber you fucking tard.
>>
>>63866952
Yeah, at least with Episode IV most of the characters didn't really like each other to start out. Luke and Han don't like each other at first, Han doesn't like Ben, Leia doesn't really like Luke and really doesn't like Han. But the characters grow over the course of the movie and start to become more comfortable with each other. The whole thing is way less organic in VII. There's only the slightest inkling of it with Rey and Finn and lasts all of 10 seconds.

The entirety of the plot just feels so contrived. Everyone is in the right place at the right time and they make friends and mentors instantly. It doesn't feel like the plot has a coherent cause-effect sequence to it.
>>
Why was he somehow the only stormtrooper to give a shit?
>>
>>63867130
The whole thing is contrived sadly.

What's interesting is we are seeing sub par Star Wars movies, but in a very different way to the prequels.

Where the prequels really needed someone to step in and tighten things up, give them focus and trim the fat, this movie is too formulaic and really needed some heart and soul in the writing and ideas department. It's so obviously made for money it's sad.
>>
Who was his friend who died?
>>
The first time Finn met with Poe, I said to my friend "you're a little too black to be a stormtrooper"

My buddy laughed so hard people in the aisle across from us started staring at us
>>
Character makes no sense . We're expected to believe this lifelong soldier whose primary purpose should be soldiering cannot kill innocents and has a completely normal personality and moral compass. People making comparisons to the US army are ignoring that the First Order is an evil Sith junta.
>>
he acted like a typical american nigger straight out of Buffy.

So i have no idea whether he is a good actor or not, but he was absolutely atrocious in this film.
>>
>>63862806
yeah i really liked his character
wasnt expecting to at all
>>
>>63864508
What are you talking about? Lots of non Jedi/Sith have used lightsabers in the past. Why would you need force sensitivity to use it? That doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>63868557
>without resorting to racism.
>>
>>63862806
the only flaw is that they killed him
>>
File: Star_Tours_poster.jpg (31 KB, 258x387) Image search: [Google]
Star_Tours_poster.jpg
31 KB, 258x387
>>63862806
- so derivative that a third Death Star having a biosphere may have already happened in the Star Tours theme ride.
>>
No foreshadowing why he rebelled.

Acted like some street kid for the remainder of the movie.

Absolutely no sense he was a stormtrooper in any fashion

Full of joss whedon style jokes that belong in buffy or Guardians of the galaxy

His moment of crisis of running away from First Order vs helping Rey felt fucking retarded since the whole point was that he risked everything to help ANYONE in need.

Never ever felt like he had a realistic inner turmoil since he breaks out in quips in between running for his life.
>>
Reminder that BB8 is only one character different from another acronym
>>
>>63864992
I think he was meaning that post for >>63864793

He was explaining why someone would need to spell that out for him.
>>
>>63865340
Please be aware of the difference between fighting against soldiers and shooting at civilians.
>>
>>63864975
>Another thing I didn't like was that Finn and Rey's deep friendship came out of nowhere. They met each other for a few weeks and now they're best buds?
That's how real human being interact you autistic fuckwad. My best friend today is a fat dude I randomly met during a new year's party.

Jesus fuck arguing on 4chan is like trying to explain quantum mechanics to kindergarten children.
>>
His personality and backstory didn't match. At all. It's like JJA combined 2 completely different characters into a weird one.

The guy was basically brainwashed into becoming an Anon Soldier, yet he's all friendly-go-lucky with a song in his heart, a quip on his tongue, and completely at ease with socialisation.
>>
>>63866245
Should it?
>>
>>63867598
Wow nice humble brag you fucking idiot. It wasn't very funny at all
>>
>tfw when TR80 caught on for the Stormtrooper that fucked up Finn with the stun baton but BG4U never did
Goddamn
>>
>>63869373
A good storyteller will make you see that friendship developing/happening.

This isn't real life, it's creative fiction.

The problem with JJA is that he doesn't let the character breathe. A 30 second scene of 2 character talking without an explosion or them running for their life can make a great difference.
>>
>>63869260
there is no difference, don't be hypocrite
>>
>>63869653
It's all about the situation. Rey is a nice scavenger girl and Finn literally fell in love with her.
He desperately wants to be with her and she has no reason to reject his friendship. It's really that simple, plus there's great chemistry between the characters even if FinnxPoe felt gay.
>>
>>63862806
if you breathe hard and sweat it means your character is rejecting a lifetime of brainwashing.
>>
>>63862806
Jar Jar Bunks except it's an actual black man
>>
>>63862806
a glib facsimile
>>
>>63864761
or he watched with subs
>>
>>63867050
I'm a veteran.
>>
>>63862806
I can't, because he's great
>>
>>63869494
So seem to be most troopers. Like the two troopers talking about the new Tie Fighters or whatever it was in the end.
>>
I didn't expect to, but I liked him

His ultra negroid features only made him more endearing
>>
>>63862806
His character arc - defecting, befriending people - was rushed.
>>
>>63863105
how fucking retarded and weak are you lol
>>
BIG BIRTHING HIPS
>>
>>63870461
a dick sucking veteran
>>
>>63862806
With Boyega? Well, for one, he can't act.

Character-wise, he's a goofy, clumsy coward who falls in love with a strange woman upon the moment he meets her, a woman he totally lies to (and, when she finds this out, she has no reaction because the entire movie is rushed and she doesn't have time to be upset with him) and she completely friendzones him. His character is just shit and should have been replaced with Poe.
Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.