[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People who hate the prequels fall into one of three camps. 1.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 230
Thread images: 28
File: sebulba.jpg (85 KB, 632x760) Image search: [Google]
sebulba.jpg
85 KB, 632x760
People who hate the prequels fall into one of three camps.

1. Reddit teenagers who think "prequels suck" because the internet told them to think that. Their brains are literally not developed enough to form opinions outside of groupthink.

2. People who were edgelord teenagers when the prequels came out and "hated" them because they hated everything. Probably just unintelligent in most matters.

3. Baby boomers who won't accept anything but Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill.

The prequels are excellent science fiction movies. Objectively, there is no reason to dislike them.

>Jar Jar

A narrator for children. You might as well hate C3PO too.

>too much politics

Lucas was trying to explain his world and tell a story. If you're really just after POPCORN XD, there are plenty of other shitty franchises to watch.

>bad acting/dialogue

Star Wars always has had and always will have overwrought dialogue, because it is modeled as an epic. In fact, any dialogue involving the force is infinitely more ridiculous in the original trilogy.

>bad CG

It is much better than most films of the time.

The prequels are not bad movies. They are simply not STAR WARS as braindeads in the aforementioned groups understand it. Now Disney has catered to these, combined with the normie "fans" who don't know anything about Star Wars, and produced Avengers IV: Lightsabers, without an ounce of creativity.

This movie is truly bad. It is truly worse than any of the prequels. And it will truly ruin this franchise. Fuck whoever likes The Force Awakens.
>>
well said prequel hate is reddit meme tier
>>
ITT bantha poodoo
>>
>>63861878
but everything that happens with space politics makes no fucking sense at all

So if you pay attention you'll still hate it
>>
I think the sudden defense of the prequels is nothing but people who were kids when they were released and Jar Jar Binks caused a sexual awakening in them.
>>
TFA and ones opinion on the prequels divides the redditors from everyone else
>>
>>63861878
i'm not any of those. good job typing this up at 2:00 on a sunday morning lol twat
>>
>>63861878
SEBULBA
>>
>>63861878
People who like the prequels just don't know what makes a good movie, much less what makes a good Star Wars movie

g8b8m8
>>
Episode II was the only irredeemably bad film.
>>
The first one is toyetic as hell. There's very little in it that's relevant to Anakin's later life, the podrace is one long padding sequence that is awesome to look at but anticlimactic (we know this guy is going to become a Jedi eventually), and it has to resort to ass-pulls for things like introducing Threepio this early.

II/III have their place. A lot of people hate II but the damn military had to come from somewhere, and III was about as edgy as we'll ever get now that Disney owns the canon.
>>
>>63861878
Episode II was pretty bad senpai. Episode III was already better and had some quite good moments.
Episode I is imho still the only good one among the prequels.
>>
Last week I watched all 6 movies over the course of a day. I had never seen a Star Wars movie in its entirety before, and I enjoyed the prequels...well, e2 was pretty mediocre at SOME points, but I didn't dislike them or like them any more than the OT. I felt they all fit together really well...and the general changes in the Prequels was a nice little transition from RoTJ.

I was thoroughly satisfied with all 6. ESB definitely the best of them, though.
>>
>Butthurt millenials continue their campaign to defend their bad, nostalgia tainted taste by trying to retroactively rewrite history and say everybody loves the prequels until it became an internet meme to hate them
It's actually pathetic how viciously they attempt to defend these movies. The bulk of their arguments are just personally attacking the character of anybody who dislikes the movies.

The original star wars films were cultural icons at the time of release. TPM was a disappointment. AOTC was bad. RoTS was comparatively less bad.
>>
>>63861878
they're kind of like harry potter for me
not great but I always watch whenever they're on tv
>>
>>63861878
what the fuck is wrong with this board
>>
>>63861878
Kind of like how you rate the new movie because you hate everything?

Way to self own yourself.
>>
but I do hate C3PO

the best lines C3PO had were in TFA (because the dialogue wasn't C3PO-like at all)
>>
>>63862118
Who would win in a fight Obi or Voldemort
>>
You are an idiot.

The over all narrative for the prequels was good, and SOME of the action was well choreographed. That being said, the script, dialogue, acting, pacing, CG, and pretty much everything about the prequels was trash. It was like when you think of something in your head it sounds good but when you actually do it you realize how stupid it is.
>>
>>63862155
volde
>>
>>63861878

nice contrarian maymay but I knew the prequels were dogshit when I saw them in theaters when I was 8

I remember saying "the only bit I liked was the fight at the end" which is still my opinion to this day
>>
>>63862008
TPM was really more about Padme, Obi Wan and Qui Gon. I get why Lucas wanted to spend some time showing us little Anakin but he really contributed almost nothing.
>>
>>63861878
Too fat.
>>
>>63862007
Episode III was worse. I don't understand the meme about it being the "good" prequel at all.
>>
>>63862253
It's the Sheeviest movie of the bunch.
>>
>>63861878
Ep I is total crap, come on.
Ep II has its moments, I think is not bad, the battle of Geonosis is absurd tho.
Ep III is the best of the prequels IMO
>>
>>63862091
>>63861878
Just want to say that you both suck. OT and PT are both shit and so is Star Wars in general.
Really said to see people in their 20s and 30s foaming over such a bland franchise.
You both are literally holding shit in your hands, calling it gold and arguing about whose shit is nicer.
>>
>>63862008

One of the reasons I liked the first one was BECAUSE of how little it had to do with the Anakin story. It was just a fresh adventure in the SW universe, something the series lacked due to the overarching plot taking precedence.

Still a deeply flawed film, but I still liked it.
>>
File: 1447935307784.jpg (70 KB, 425x312) Image search: [Google]
1447935307784.jpg
70 KB, 425x312
>>
>>63862326

>EPII has its moments

The assassination plot line was pretty cool, but then it took a detour into fucking Anakin's pants and never left.
>>
>>63862182
Implying this isn't a Reddit post

Seriously you are all retards.
>>
>>63862135
Full of pedos and prequel lovers.
It's a fucking cesspit.
>>
>>63862326
> the battle of Geonosis is absurd tho

I loved it, though the droid sub-plot being shoved into it all really cornballed it up.

Really, a battle with over a dozen different lightsabers on-screen at once was pretty wild, let alone the addition of Early Stormtroopers showing up and acting as Jedi meat shields. And then you have R2 towing 3PO's head along the ground and he utters, "this is such a drag!" and you remember why people hate the prequels. Can't go too far without a corny moment.

The jokes in TFA are, if not always funny, at least not actively bad. It goes a long way to help.
>>
>>63861986
Good movie: artistic expression, well paved, well acted, thought provoking theme
Good start wars movie: epic space fantasy, aliens, planets, space ships, mystery of the force

Seems to me the only legit reason people hate the PT is that they seem like a different fictional universe because of the technological leaps between the two and the artistic style. That said, I would much rather live in the PT universe. It is tits more interesting. And for the record, I grew up with the OT and loved it.
>>
>>63862008
The pod racing scene shows anakins insane abilities at such an insane age as well as expands the universe (cool they had space NASCAR)
>>
>>63862007
Episode 2's Kamino sequence was good.
The cantina hunt was pretty cool too.
The genosian battle was alright.
>>
>>63861878
OFFICIAL PT RANKINGS
I>>>III>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>II
>>
>>63861878
>Lightsabers, without an ounce of creativity.

But you just described Attack of the Clones
>>
STAR WARS on cassette was my first Star Wars movie, and I watched that shit when I was 5.

Episode 3 is my favorite if I have to pick one.
>>
>>63862008
>toyetic

Is this another one of your meme words?
>>
>>63863182
What? Attack of the Clones had an entirely new story, entirely new worlds, and entirely new species. Even if you disliked all of the above, it was hardly uncreative.
>>
>>63862091
the irony of this post.
>>
>>63863217
>entirely new story, entirely new worlds, and entirely new species

And they were utilized in exactly the most uncreative of ways.
>>
>>63863217
but it was a boring sterile snoozefest
>>
>>63863110

>Kamino

It was good stuff, but largely exposition and remembered for being the only time a Fett didn't job in combat. I'm a sucker for aquatic planets and rain sequences so I'm biased on this end.

>Cantina hunt

Not bad in the moment, but ruined by the changeling's inability to actually change shape and hide, and later ruined by Jango's inability to use a laser like everyone else and instead use an entirely traceable poison dart.

>Genosian battle

Loud as fuck, too much shit going on at once. Droids showing up AGAIN and the showdown with Dooku lacking all tension was disappointing.
>>
>>63863282
>inb4 at least they were there
>>
Can someone tell me what's so bad about the prequel acting? Do people not like it because it's different? There's nothing wrong with the acting, it's how the characters were written. Jedi are stoic, calm, and collected, just like they are portrayed.
>>
>>63861878
100% agree OP

The prequels had a lot of failings in their execution but they were a more sincere attempt at new SW films than TFA could ever be said to be

Trying something new and taking risks combined with needless action sequences is still a better move than shitty rehashing with needless action sequences
>>
File: rtx1gzco.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
rtx1gzco.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
I don't understand why people just QQ when you got a bonus trilogy , to understand the first one .

It's like , Lord of the ring is good , but the hobbit is shit...

I mean you got extra info / contents of the world of star wars and you're still whining like little bitch , yes the prequels are not perfect , so is the original.

How can you be upset with more contents/battles/story/characters... given to you to answer all the question you had from the orginal trilogy

Do not view them as different movies, but view them as ONE BIG ASS MOVIE.
>>
>>63861878
stupid meme. fuck off
>>
>>63862008
1 was only good for darth maul and obi wan. Rest of it was utter shit.

2 was a complete custerfuck and a terrible movie. The clone wars are boring as all fuck and the scenery looks disgusting. Not to mention the vehicles in it too are terribly designed. Count Dooku is a joke as well.

3 was great imo, good sense of direction, good characters and a great look into the decent of darth vader.
>>
Episode II and III were good. Episode III was actually great.

Episode I was just shitty, insulting storytelling.

>oh no this planet is in danger people are dying
>here's an hour of NASCAR in space
>>
>>63862135
This is /tv/'s actual downfall.
I would never have believed people here would so rabidly defend the worst follow-up trilogy ever made.
>>
>>63861878
If you sincerely believe the dialogue and acting in in prequels is comparable at all the episodes 4 - 6 then you're incompetent as an audience member, even less so as a critic. Same goes for the obnoxious factor concerning jar jar vs 3po.

>implying you're not just being contrarian as part of the natural ebb and flow of cultural taste
>implying your opinions are your own
>>
>>63863310
The actors had bad dialogue to work with, this is true. The bad acting is mostly on Hayden
>>
>>63864010
Liam Neeson, Hershlag, and even Ewan up until YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE phoned it in very fucking hard. I've seen better cold readings.
>>
>>63864106
Sure but the acting didn't need to be great. I'm not defending anyone's acting in the prequels, but Hayden's was the worst for sure
>>
>>63862344
It WAS gold before Disney retconned the entire EU

Lots of great backstory in the vidya, the comics, the novels etc, added a lot to the movies even though they stood well on their own.

Considering Star Wars is one of tthe big franchises everyone else tries to copy (the other being Star Trek) it's hard to call it "bland" with a straight face. If anything you'd only say that because of the fact that everything else is so derivative of it.
>>
>>63864148
Acting should always be at least good. Hell, if it can be great, it should be great. Doesn't matter what the movie is about; a good performance is never out of place.
>>
>>63864148
>acting didn't need to be great

That's fucking retarded.
>>
>>63864239
I mean that makes a lot of sense but Star Wars was great and there wasn't any great acting. Honestly a great performance in SW would be out of place. It sounds weird to say it, but some tour de force shit might actually be distracting.
>>
Fact: If hating the prequels = reddit then that means being reddit = smart

Fact: if you now unironically think the prequels are good then that means you have the taste and intellect of a retard
>>
>>63864263
Like I said here >>63864301
Any great performances in episodes 4 - 6? Nope. Great movies? Yes.
>>
>>63861878

>Lucas was trying to explain his world and tell a story.

>Talking on a couch
>Talking on a couch
>talking on a couch
>talking on a couch
>talking on a couch
>talking on a chouch
>the cinematography involved in
>talking on a couch

nice meme
>>
/tv/ is literally Contrarian - The Board. Whatever is popular is hated and whatever is unpopular is loved.

It's a widely accepted fact that the prequels had terrible CGI, horrendous dialogue, and a poorly written/executed plot. Now that people are liking TFA all these "I gotta be different" people are coming out of their holes to praise the prequels in an attempt to be some sort of high taste patrician who sees what us plebs are too blind to appreciate. Shit's pathetic.
>>
>>63861878
>You actually spent time typing this
Kill yourself
>>
>>63861878
Your life is empty.
>>
Embarrassing.
>>
>>63864301
>honestly a great performance in SW would be out of place
>some tour de force shit might actually be distracting

I can't believe this shit. Never have I heard such bullshit as a show of actual talent and ability bringing a movie down.

You people are beyond help. This shit is embarassing.
>>
File: star_wars_attack_of_the_clones.jpg (48 KB, 675x380) Image search: [Google]
star_wars_attack_of_the_clones.jpg
48 KB, 675x380
>>63861878
I like all the Star Wars movies, but the Reddit-tier prequel haters are really easy to spot. You can tell they are only hating on them because it's "the right opinion," since they way they will almost praise Episode VII is by first attacking the prequels. See Angry Joe's review for an example. It's a review of Episode VII but he has to preface it by talking about how bad the prequels suck, because to prove your Star Wars credentials among redditfags you must always demonstrate that you hate the correct movies first.

If they actually had a real opinion, they would not have to put down another movie in order to explain why they think Episode VII is good. Either they are just trying desperately to fit in with all the other prequel haters, or they legitimately hate the prequels more than they love the original trilogy. In either case, they should probably not be discussing Star Wars at all.
>>
>>63861878
>Star Wars always has had and always will have overwrought dialogue, because it is modeled as an epic. In fact, any dialogue involving the force is infinitely more ridiculous in the original trilogy.
You're fucking fooling yourself if you think this is true. The OT doesn't have amazing dialogue, but it's leaps and bounds better than the PT. The acting is distractingly bad too. Hamill was never great, but he's leagues better than Christiensen or Portman in the prequels. Lucas seems to be not great with actors who aren't incredibly naturalistic, like McGregor or Ford, and he needed to coach way better performances out of his leads. (Who have proven themselves to be decent actors outside the franchise, so it isn't a matter of a total lack of talent.) And even though the CGI was good for it's time, (groundbreaking, actually) it's aged very poorly, and there's nothing more immersion breaking than bad CGI.

The prequels definitely aren't bad movies, though. The broad storytelling in them is actually remarkable, and the way Lucas structures them in relation to the originals is so much more intricate than most people realize. There were enough flaws in the execution that they're not great movies either, but to totally dismiss them is stupid. I didn't hate TFA, but it was an assembly product with no real vision behind it, and honestly, Star Wars deserves better.
>>
>>63864301
That's ridiculous, anon. At worst some tour de force shit would be a more memorable scene and a powerful moment. If it were distracting, then the movie apparently required some distraction to be better.
>>
I guess it's time for a new list.

III > V > IV > I > II > VI > VII
>>
>>63864393
I feel like you're being purposefully obtuse here. Nobody goes to see Star Wars for Oscar nod performances. If one person went full Daniel Day and the rest continued to phone it in with passable at best acting it would be strange. Please don't think I'm defending the acting in the sequels, it was bad. The movies would have been better with better acting. But the movies aren't proper platforms for great acting; even if you took away the shit dialogue.
>>
>>63861878

Well you see, the problem is they don't make any kind of sense at all. Please see the Plinkett reviews.
>>
>>63864428

The action scenes are good if you watch them as random action scenes in a random action movie desu

To actually try and tie them in as anything to do with the plot is retarded

The prequels are pointless if you try to analyse it as a real cinematic plot driven experience becuase they aren't

They're trashy action films bred for one purpose, and that is money. Like bats for war. its like poetry
>>
File: 1423840337465.png (362 KB, 660x545) Image search: [Google]
1423840337465.png
362 KB, 660x545
"the prequels were actually good" is my favorite /tv/ meme
>>
>>63864486
Consider Key Largo; basically an action movie where Humphrey Bogart gets a bunch of people out of a hostage situation. Another poor platform for particularly powerful acting.
Despite this Claire Trevor plays the fuck out of her role as an alcoholic getting fucked with and denied a drink. She didn't have to, but she did anyway, and it ended up getting her an oscar.

It didn't distract from the overall movie in the slightest.
>>
>>63864330
>directly quotes ebic RLM meme reviews full of nitpicking
>says nice meme

P O T T E R Y
O
T
T
E
R
Y
>>
>>63861878
From my point of view the original trilogy has the high ground.
>>
"How Star Wars Conquered the Universe" is required reading if you want to debate how good or how bad the prequel trilogy is compared to the originals. They're all problem movies in one way or another but what was going on behind the scenes will really surprise you.

Also do any of you assholes think you have a chance in hell of swaying anyone else with your opinions? The die-hard prequel lovers have to have a near religious belief in how not-shit those movies are, and the people who adore to bash them have popular opinion edging them on so they aren't going to suddenly change sides.
>>
>>63864482
V > IV > VI > III > I > II > VII

prove me wrong fuccbois
>>
>>63864781
Put VII in the middle and a power gap on each side of it and you're gold.
>>
>>63864486
There's a difference between showy, Oscar-friendly performances and good, solid acting. Christiensen and Portman were laughably, distractingly bad in huge parts of those movies. Way worse than anyone in the original trilogy. Compare that to McGregor who honestly knocks it out of the park in all three movies without being showy about it. He's believable in everything he does; it's actually a little embarrassing watching him act circles around everyone he interacts with in those movies except maybe Christopher Lee.
>>
>>63864841
Even Christopher Lee was corny as fuck.
I cringed a little during one of his monologues when he said "Darth...Sidious" in the same way on more than one occasion, like he was saying it for the first time every time.
>>
>>63864769
it's not necessary to be opinionated. it's totally reasonable to regard them as terrible films that are nevertheless personal and filled with interesting concepts and themes. they also have very, very rare moments that would be great in the OT.
>>
BIG
>>
>>63864627
They weren't actually good as films, they had a lot of failings

But they were still a more honest attempt at providing backstory than TFA is at continuing the story

TFA is just a lazy re-imagining of things put forward in the EU anyway. Kylo is a cheap imitation of Jacen Solo/Caedus, Rey is Jaina with different parents, the First Order is just a mash-up of the various post-RotJ imperial factions and the Resistance only exists because the New Republic is arbitrarily destroyed by blowing up a couple planets in a five-minute scene at the beginning

All the nuance of the EU has been removed so that it can more easily follow the template of ANH
>>
BANTHA
>>
>>63864769
Not to mention personal opinion.
No amount of angry sperging is going to convince me that I didn't watch three very bad movies.
>>
>>63864659
I haven't seen that, but it sounds like a much more accessible means of great acting than Star Wars. Star Wars is a fantasy epic set in space. The planets, the technology, the universe itself plays a role in the story telling. All are appealing and can and should be fleshed out to bring out the story. There's already a lot of moving parts that need to be managed. The prequels set out to expand that even further. Zooming way out to bring together the far reaches of the Galaxy, with numerous characters, planets, organizations, religions, all that good fantasy world building shit while maintaining intricate drama is difficult to do in a film. At that point the characters are really just there to do their jobs to move the story along. This isn't a biopic. In a book you can have your cake and eat it too, but when youre trying to fit it all into a single film, something has to get cut, and at that point the acting doesn't -need- to be great to make a great film.
>>
POODOO
>>
>>63861878
>because the internet told them to think that

Im convinced this alone influences more than half the earth's population. Hiveminds are real. Its the only logical explanation for such irrational thinking.
>>
>>63864998
>maintaining intricate drama is difficult to do in a film.

And yet George attempted to create intricate drama regardless (this is, after all, the tale of a great hero falling from grace at its core), and failed miserably. George was in way over his head and forbade anyone from covering for his weaknesses. In the end the prequels were not great films. They were monumentally wasted potential by an auteur who refused the help he needed. The prequels only serve as a lesson in the dangers of hubris and pride, and the value of teamwork and constructive criticism.
>>
>>63865088
Sure. I agree with that
>>63865085
The Internet has been a catalyst for this. There's always been memes and fads and shifts in social and cultural opinions, often to extreme degrees but globalization has boasted it to a new scale, and with exponential speed as well
>>
>>63864334
>Terrible CGI.
Literally set the bar for like 10 years, advanced CGI by like 10 years. Nigga pls
>>
the prequels were fucking garbage and nothing you say about 'reddit tier opinions' or 'baby boomers' can change that

these things go beyond opinion when the storyline or characters just stop making any sense at all. there were so many examples of things in the prequels that just did not make the most rudimentary bit of sense, from the characters, to the boring but simple political bullshit. that isn't building a world, george it's just floundering around like a blind retard
>>
>>63865289
You're thinking of Jurassic Park

But seriously the cgi wasn't that bad at all people are tripping
>>
>>63865289
TPM and AOTC haven't aged well at all. ROTS looks pretty good. It was revolutionary CGI and the work ILM did absolutely raised the industry standard, but that doesn't matter when it ages like milk. The technology hadn't quite caught up with Lucas's vision until his trilogy was all but done.
>>
>>63865316
Ewoks destroying imperials made sense right?
Dark lord of the sith allowing himself to be lifted by Darth Vader with no resistance made sense
Darth Vader turning good over the course of 5 mins made sense
A master of the force being contested by a boy who's training spanked like a month in total made sense
Giant fucking slow moving walkers functioning on snow where their mass isn't spread out to keep them from sinking into the ground made sense
Take the nostalgia goggles off
>>
>>63865419
Lol no. Jurassic park deserves credit as well but it wasn't nearly as ambitious. It did set the previous bar
>>
>>63865491
Unfortunately its likely only a matter of time before episode 3 looks outdated. And it isn't as if parts of the OT don't look cringy
>>
>>63865622
Almost nothing in the OT is distractingly bad. Outdated practical effects will never be as immersion breaking as outdated CGI.
>>
>>63861878

epic bait

but the star wars movies are truly bad from a cinematic standpoint - lucas was an effects innovator in his time but the during the prequels technology was way ahead of his expertise and he relied on the works of thousands of technicians more skilled than himself. He was the most useless person on the set, just spewing ideas at the people who could make it happen.

It's pretty obvious that lucas hates cinema and loves money
>>
I miss Lucas
>>
>>63865718
Oh please some of those dolls are fucking horrendous. Makes me wonder how people even took that shit seriously back in the day. Even yoda looks like a muppet
>>
>>63865732
>It's pretty obvious that lucas hates cinema and loves money
This is such an unbelievably shitty opinion. Not liking the prequels is one thing, but to act as though they were soulless money grabs is disingenuous at best and wilfully ignorant at worst. Much of the execution was tremendously misjudged, but Lucas was absolutely doing them for the right reasons.
>>
>Look at the Rebel Alliance in Star Wars, really look at them, and try to see anything like a radically democratic revolution against tyranny. What is the class composition of these rebels? Of the ones we know, there’s one member of a hereditary royal family, one petty criminal, one former ruler of a privately owned city, and one adopted child of rural landowners (and, possibly, slaveholders) who is also the scion to an ancient religious order of aristocratic knights.

>At the start of A New Hope, we hear that the Alliance has growing support within the Imperial Senate, and Imperial Senates aren’t usually very fond of proper revolutionaries. Consider the Alliance’s tactics. Every time we meet the rebels, they have built themselves a base on some deserted planet, where they’re stockpiling heavy arms.

>As any good student of Mao knows, a revolutionary movement can only succeed if it wins the trust of the people; holding territory is a game played by the State, not those trying to overthrow it. We never see the rebels being sheltered from Stormtroopers by grateful peasants (while they do ally with the Ewoks, it’s with a fully colonial sense of entitlement); we never see Alliance propaganda being passed around in secret by the oppressed; we never see any indication that this armed faction has any kind of popular mandate whatsoever. It’s not just infantile bourgeois ultraleftism — Blanquism in space.
>>
>>63865864
This. Say what you will but Lucas was going to make the movies he wanted, nosyalgia fags wanting rehashes be damned
>>
>>63865864

Idk man, I think lucas' harrowing experience with the original trilogy turned him into an asshole. Although I do think he poured a lot of himself into the movies and was truly hurt by the reception.

I think it's naive to say he didn't become greedy. Starwars is probably the most widely merchandised film franchise ever.
>>
>All this is perfectly demonstrated in the sadly underappreciated Star Wars prequels. Here we’re shown the real truth of the situation in the original trilogy. The Jedi — a rich, powerful, aristocratic military order, unaccountable to any democratic oversight and pompously decked out in peasant robes — are shown marching into battle alongside the armies of proto-Stormtroopers as they wage a war of extermination against some poorly defined separatists, whose view that the Republic is essentially evil turns out to be absolutely correct. The Yodas and Obi-Wans and Skywalkers of the world are politically aligned with a nihilistic and omnicidal power from beyond the galaxy: they always were.

>Nerds hated the prequel trilogy; their great worry about the new Star Wars film is that it would be another Phantom Menace. Which misses the point: it was always going to be another Phantom Menace, from the moment of its conception. Never mind what George Lucas says. A prequel only gains its meaning from the fact that it’s viewed after and in relation to the original.

>The Phantom Menace already describes what takes place immediately after the events of The Return of the Jedi. There’s no Death Star, but the evil remains, and the designated good guys are in the thick of it.
>>
File: kek.png (2 MB, 1341x665) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
2 MB, 1341x665
>>63865864
>>
>>63865864

Shooting an entire film on green screen is fucking stupid. Anti-cinema in my opinion. Lucas isn't an animator. He's supposed to be a director I guess but he's not great at that either.

He contributed the worst parts to prequels and somehow gets credit for all of the amazing work other people did on the film. Watching the making of the prequels really kind of disgusted me. I used to love Lucas but he is so obviously a hack.
>>
>>63865864
This
Sure, Lucas cared more about going "KEKEKEKEKEKE CGI" than sewing up plot holes and shit, but that doesn't mean it was a soulless money grab.
I believe he was doing them for the right reasons too, they were just not really well executed
>>
>>63866013
You're an idiot. No director does an entire movie themselves. That's why you see credits full of people at the end of movies
>>
>>63862253
>I don't understand the meme about it being the "good" prequel at all.

It's treason then.
>>
>>63866013
>Shooting an entire film on green screen is fucking stupid

Which is why the prequels used a lot of practical sets.

The RLM reviews aren't funny, but they're not exactly the most rigorous.
>>
>>63866066
In this case you saw credits full of asskissers.
>>
File: 4OKGdsW.jpg (169 KB, 1042x487) Image search: [Google]
4OKGdsW.jpg
169 KB, 1042x487
>>63866013
>Shooting an entire film on green screen is fucking stupid.

Sorry for the Reddit picture, but here
>>
The prequels were ok but I think Lucas went too far in a few places.
>>
>>63866069
>le nobody hated the prequels till RLM meme

They were preaching to the fucking choir. It's why they got popular in the first place. People like being agreed with.
>>
File: ZZ6EF765CA.jpg (37 KB, 792x449) Image search: [Google]
ZZ6EF765CA.jpg
37 KB, 792x449
>>63866117
>>
>>63866066

What I'm saying is Lucas wrote a half baked script, set up some really uncreative shots which he used repeatedly and gave his cast very vague direction. That was his contribution to the movies.

Everything else was a vastly more talented production team.
>>
5 > 4 > 7 > 3 > 6 > 2 > 1

OFFICIAL SW RATING INC
>>
First was well made, but had a dogshit script.
What was the fucking point starting with Anakin so young and seeing him accidentally Gary Stu a podrace and a space battle other than pacify a toddler audience that already fell asleep during the trade federation talks?

Second is just dogshit. Switching to digital in 200andfucking2 where the technology was worse than what you can buy now for cheep at Wallmart just helps the 90% of the flat greenscreen sequences in it age like milk, and some of the set pieces like that factory sequence should be used as teaching material for directors and CGI artists in how not to do things if you want to keep the audience engaged trough a sense of actual reality and danger.

Third one was almost there, but the ill will Lucas created with the previous films resulted in no one but those who were toddlers or mouth breathers at the time taking them seriously. Furthermore, it was the only movie of the three that felt necessary, and he should have started at the fucking Clone Wars.
>>
File: ZZ66708660.jpg (89 KB, 635x428) Image search: [Google]
ZZ66708660.jpg
89 KB, 635x428
>>63866139
And it provided nerds with new criticisms. Now people try to explain that people simply "couldn't articulate" these criticisms until RLM before, but that's pretty damning. Nerds just aren't good at criticism, so they employ memes to explain their dissatisfaction, like "no practical sets", which is patently false.
>>
>>63866033

win or lose he was walking away with a shitload of money, as opposed to the OT where his life was pretty much on the line.
>>
File: mustafar-BTS.jpg (48 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
mustafar-BTS.jpg
48 KB, 500x332
>>63866218
Nerds can't actually tell what's CGI and what's not
>>
>>63866218

The action scenes are fine on green screen. But I think it must be pretty detrimental for the actors during scenes that are supposed to be dramatic and organic. I think it was another element to the poor performance. Bad script, bad direction, standing around in a big green room talking to stand ins.
>>
File: Sw_e7dd6a_5541103.jpg (24 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
Sw_e7dd6a_5541103.jpg
24 KB, 500x332
>>63866194
Yeah look at this 90% greenscreen bullshit
>>
>>63866177
Spot on, my man
>>
>>63866218
Most of the criticisms explored in the Plinkett reviews are due to Mike being a huge Star Wars fanboy that was just as disillusioned as most fans were back then, exploring and gathering examinations that had already been made by the people that obsess about this stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4TX6x2WLgk
>>
File: thenandnow.jpg (127 KB, 582x460) Image search: [Google]
thenandnow.jpg
127 KB, 582x460
>>63866218
RLM didn't start the "no practical sets" shit either.

Lucas going on record saying shit like "You could have done this in CG" to Martin Scorsese and pic related both predate the Plinkett reviews. It was a very common jab for quite a long time.

Also the actually valid criticisms from before RLM still stand and were still fatal flaws in all three movies.
Phoned in and/or legitimately bad performances, godawful dialogue that can't even be compared to the worst of the OT, lazy, shoddy direction, and an unnecessary emphasis on worldbuilding over actual storytelling were all verbal and rightful criticisms years before RLM decided to have the last word on the subject.
>>
wasn't Lucas a huge asshole on the set of empire and ROTJ, showing up drunk and fucking around and other people has to come in and save the films, writing the script behind his back and directing scenes in his place.

Is this true? At least one of you nerds knows
>>
File: Sw_bccca8_5541103.jpg (37 KB, 454x640) Image search: [Google]
Sw_bccca8_5541103.jpg
37 KB, 454x640
>>63866383
The prequels use practical sets extensively. Also practical effects.

Like Mustafar. It's mostly a miniature.
>>
>>63866426
I'm well aware of this. I was just emphasizing that the "no practical sets" argument predated the Plinkett reviews.
>>
>>63866117

yeah but ewan is fucking talking to nobody in this scene.
>>
File: 6_seville.jpg (119 KB, 680x451) Image search: [Google]
6_seville.jpg
119 KB, 680x451
>>63866426
Fucking greenscreen CGI
>>
>>63866468
>>63866426
>>63866356
>>63866286
>>63866218
>people actually think this "shocking" revelation magically makes the movies good
>>
>>63866426
>extensively
The sets were built mainly for the CGI crew to have something to physically examine in order to get their shots in. They were built, but they were rarely there, and when they were they were miniatures at best for wide shots and not stuff where a sense of space and scale could have benefited the actors, who had to make due with flat greenscreeen backdrops while they interacted with cartoons that weren't there.
>>
>>63866465
Ewan rehearsed the scene with the real actor of Dexter tho
>>
File: Sw_b29242_5541103.jpg (36 KB, 640x472) Image search: [Google]
Sw_b29242_5541103.jpg
36 KB, 640x472
>>63866468
Again, more fucking greenscreen. Why did they have to fuck up a practical set with greenscreen? Why didn't they go to space for location shooting. Lucas is a lazy hack.
>>
>>63866383
There are valid criticisms of three PT. To be fair the OT wasn't by any means without its flaws. Both succeed for different reasons. PT succeeds in fleshing out a fantastic galaxy of aliens, robots, machines, spaceships, Jedi and sith.
>>
>>63863572
who fucking cares about getting new content when it's poorly handled and the movies are technically a fucking mess
>>
>>63862344
The movies are all pretty mediocre.
The universe is pretty great.
Until Disney came along.
Gladly I can just completely disregard anything Disney ever says about the Star Wars universe
>>
File: 1450557941589.gif (6 KB, 250x299) Image search: [Google]
1450557941589.gif
6 KB, 250x299
>>63866524
>PT succeeds in
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>63866524
>PT succeeds in fleshing out a fantastic galaxy of aliens, robots, machines, spaceships, Jedi and sith.
Which is great if that was the point Lucas was trying to make.
He was actually trying to tell a story, however, and completely fucked up in that regard.

These movies are not good. They do not hold up.
Like them if you'd like, but understand that these do not define as examples of good filmmaking.
>>
>>63861878
I legitimately think Attack of the Clones is one of the worst movies in existence. There's not a single redeeming thing in that movie.
>>
>>63866465
How do you know there wasn't an actor there?
>>
>>63866524
>To be fair the OT wasn't by any means without its flaws

And to be equally fair, they weren't nearly as glaring or crippling as the flaws of the PT, and no I am not talking about the sets or the special effects.
>>
People who hate the PT never got into the Star Wars universe outside of the movies and maybe...maybe a couple games....

I bet most of them cant even tell me why its called ROTS
>>
>>63865978
Underrated post.
>>
>>63866151
>Lucas wrote a half baked script
Lucas can't write dialogue to save his life, but those scripts are not half baked. Pay attention to the ways he repeats, recalls and inverts elements of the original trilogy, especially with regards to the chiastic structure of the entire saga. I personally think a great deal of plot elements were severely misjudged, but to act as though there isn't an incredible amount of craft behind Lucas's storytelling is just incorrect.
>set up some really uncreative shots which he used repeatedly
Repetition was intentional, it was one of the ways he drew parallels between the two trilogies and, indeed, one of the ways he chose to visually and narratively handle the progression of characters throughout the PT, and his use of visual metaphors are actually quite apt. Calling the shots 'uncreative' is about as subjective as you can get, but for what it's worth, I do not agree.
>gave his cast very vague direction
This one is absolutely true, the entire cast apart from McGregor gave performances way below their calibre.

Ultimately, I don't think the prequels are great movies, but to deny Lucas's grasp of his craft just demonstrates your own lack of understanding of film.
>>
>>63866659
>people who hate the PT probably also hate the EU

I agree. They're called people with taste.
>>
>>63865978
What the fuck is that thing on the right corner?
>>
>>63866701
That is a Jar Jar's tongue lollipop.

there wasn't a padme one
>>
>>63866493
The actual "shocking revelation" that makes the movies is good is that every nerd criticism is already addressed by the movies. Bad performance? Every character is a dysfunctional weirdo. Bad dialogue? It's a cheesy space opera, see also previous point. Characters are idiots? Obviously, that's why evil wins, because good is dumb. Ruins the SW mythos? Yes, it is an attack on the contradictions of the universe.

>All this is perfectly demonstrated in the sadly underappreciated Star Wars prequels. Here we’re shown the real truth of the situation in the original trilogy. The Jedi — a rich, powerful, aristocratic military order, unaccountable to any democratic oversight and pompously decked out in peasant robes — are shown marching into battle alongside the armies of proto-Stormtroopers as they wage a war of extermination against some poorly defined separatists, whose view that the Republic is essentially evil turns out to be absolutely correct. The Yodas and Obi-Wans and Skywalkers of the world are politically aligned with a nihilistic and omnicidal power from beyond the galaxy: they always were.
>>
File: caxL4Ik.png (615 KB, 597x647) Image search: [Google]
caxL4Ik.png
615 KB, 597x647
>>63866712
>he's actually deluded himself into thinking George was just pretending to be retarded
>>
File: George-Lucas-Laughing.jpg (60 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
George-Lucas-Laughing.jpg
60 KB, 500x370
>>63866712
>they're good because he made them shitty on purpose
>>
>>63866578
>but but Lucas wasn't trying to succeed
He was first of all. He was trying to create his original vision. He succeeded in the visual part and failed in the writing part.
They are excellent example of filmmaking. Not just anyone could have pulled it off. It's not great in the story driven elements but film can be used to create visual masterpieces and if you want to sit there and deny their impact not just on film but sci fi and video games, you're lying to yourself.
>>
File: geonisisjedifight.jpg (182 KB, 1600x869) Image search: [Google]
geonisisjedifight.jpg
182 KB, 1600x869
>>63866518
Fucking greenscreen CGI! Why didn't Jorge go location shooting for a giant arena hewn from stone and a giant insectoid army?
>>
>>63866695
If the only thing you like about Star Wars is the OT go find another fictional universe instead of hanging around this one acting like an autist

I like how you failed to answer my question
>>
>>63866792
Where did I say he wasn't trying to succeed?
I said he tried like a motherfucker to tell a story and build a universe at the same time, and fucking failed.

>Not just anyone could have pulled it off.

And he didn't. That's my point. He tried and fell on his face so hard that the repercussions of his failure are being felt to this day.
>>
>>63866659
The EU is such an incredibly mixed bag, though. Some of it is pretty good, but even more of it isn't.
>>
>>63866813
>it's autistic to like one good thing in an otherwise shitty franchise
>you have to like absolutely everything because I say so

You're hilarious.
>>
>>63866748
>>63866788
The prequels are pretty obviously satirical. George Lucas, for example, clarified that the "trade negotiations" in TPM would have involved the Jedi dividing Naboo up like mobsters.
>>
>>63866880
Source?

Actually though, because that sounds interesting.
>>
File: dumbass.jpg (173 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
dumbass.jpg
173 KB, 1252x1252
>>63866880
Yeah. And The Room was a black comedy from the start.
>>
File: aXm2485xjU.jpg (195 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
aXm2485xjU.jpg
195 KB, 650x650
>>63866838
>tfw Force Awakens would never have happened if the prequels didn't suck
>tfw George would still own star wars and we would probably have had a superior sequel trilogy
>if only the prequels weren't so fucking awful
>>
The original three were more of an adventure of a hero inspired by old mythology, folklore, and the like. By making the prequels more political it goes away from what the older movies were thus not true to them.

With that said The Phantom Menace was probably the best out of the three prequels since it at least had some semblance of risk and adventure. Episode 2 was bad to the point that I didn't even see Episode 3 in the theaters and waited until it aired on TV. Even then I didn't see all of it.
>>
>>63866838
Yes he failed to please you and every other nostalgiafag who probably wanted more square space ships, more empire, more of the same basically. I'm glad he choose to do what he wanted. JJ Abrams TFA is the movie his fans wanted. They can't stand that movies set years before their beloved universe actually look more advanced.
You act as if your camp of opinion is the only one that exists when the PT led to thousands of spin off books, shows, video games, toys, and other media which has no shortage of demand. It was a resounding success.
>>
>>63867023
Contradiction Award of the Year goes to this anon
>>
>>63866960
Can't find it now, unfortunately.

>>63866961
It's not satire in the sense of being purely comical, it's satire in that it attacks the SW mythos.

For example, Plinkett criticises the movie for having the Jedi pull out lightsabres on a diplomatic mission because they hear an explosion. According to nerds this is a plothole because the Jedi should be peaceful and diplomatic. But consider that this "plot hole" isn't actually a plot hole? Why are people assuming that the Jedi are really the good guys? They've always combined mysticism with extreme violence. What if the Jedi pulling out lightsabres at any chance they get is actually characterisation?

Reading the prequels as satirical is actually much more straight-forward than reading them as "failures".
>>
>>63861878
Only a Sith deals in absolutes.
>>
People who hate the prequels fall into one camps.

1. They say TFA and now think it's cool to like the prequels, and will like TFA when Ep. 8 is released.
>>
I wonder if the collective hate Lucas receives has had an effect on his health
>>
>>63861878
But you're wrong faggot. See The plot and story of the prequels is actually fine. There's only two real issues most people have that can be summed up as to why they are bad.

1) Too much fucking slapstick comedy bullshit. Sure Star Wars has jokes and humor but the prequels took it way over the fucking top.

2) Bad acting. Yeah Sci Fi movies and fantasy movies don;t have the best acting and Star Wars is no different but the acting in the prequels ranged from decent to fucking atrocious.

Take out the slapstick comedy crap and replace the actors that portrayed Anakin and you got a decent set of films.
>>
>>63865864
m8, you have to realize anyone calling lucas a cash grabber is literally just reversing what this current one is and applying to the prequeuls
>>
>>63867123
The criticism of the Jedi is pretty clear if you actual watch the prequels. Mace Windu in particularly is portrayed as extremely arrogant and short-sighted.
>>
>>63866857
I only like OT, Ive never even explored most of the EU

But Im still gonna sit here and tell everyone why it's shit

Yeah thats autism

Its like telling people HBO GoT is better than the books even though youve never read them
>>
>>63867123
Plinkett never did anything but watch the movies either.

Since the founding of the order the Jedi have been genocidal and violent
>>
>>63867100
No. He fucking failed in making a good movie for the reasons listed.

Any other movie decides to have dialog that would make HP Lovecraft say "I can outdo that" and you'd gladly shit all over it, and rightfully so.

Just because rabid collectors and overprotective fanboys decided to continue buying merchandise doesn't suddenly make these movies good. I'm not judging these movies by their financial gain. That's like saying the Transformers movies were masterpieces because they made billions and still sell toys.

The bottom line is that the prequels were subpar in many ways. Not small ways either, like in the OT. Big ways that permeated large amounts of screentime. There's no excuse for acting of this awful caliber, nor is there any excuse for such unpolished dialogue. Those two flaws alone have ruined many movies, and that's not even talking about other stated valid flaws. Sure, the universe was big and well developed, but people simply found his execution and performances in that universe dismal. And the sad truth is it was dismal.

He didn't just fail to please me. He failed to please millions. That's a pretty fucking heavy failure considering the enduring popularity of the franchise up to that point. George felt this too. He saw himself as a laughingstock. Hell, he was a laughingstock, and had been years before RLM even started. He ended up being so miserable that he sold the franchise. That ended up leading to episode VII, and cementing the notion that this ride will now never end.
>>
>>63867357
But the books spawned the series, not the other way around. That's a dumb counter.
>>
>>63867320
But he was called a cash grabber long before TFA.
That argument is absolute shit.
Also, just because TFA is a soulless lazy cashgrab doesn't mean the prequels weren't.
>>
>>63867252
>decent
When?
Seriously when? At YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE?
That's the only time I actually unironically liked what I was watching.
>>
>>63867121
How? Lucas sold the franchise because he couldn't do it and nobody wanted him to.
If the prequels were actually good, people wouldn't have wanted him to sell it, and he probably wouldn't have. That means no Disney Star Wars. That means no JJ.
>>
I pretend to hate the prequels because it's far more fun to tear something apart with people than it is to circlejerk over it like reddit does

of course RLM ruined that because now people just quote the popular memes instead of coming up with their own complaints
>>
>>63867715
Except a lot of people came up with their own complaints.
>>
>>63867604
removing the Gungans and replacing Anakin would get rid of at least 50% of the PT problems.
>>
Oh for fucks sake. The prequels are shit because
>they're soulless, it's a big computer generated shitfest, I don't care if it advanced CGI or not, it looked like shit
>bland and unbelieveable main character with pants on head retarded motives
>entry level politics plot
>full of plotholes, like people not noticing Sheev is THE Dark Lord of the Sith
>lightsaber fights lacking any sort of emotion, in the OT every lightsaber fight had that emotional depth instead of Jedi clashing with monster of the week Sith Lords
>Anakin and Obi-Wan are greatest BFFs in the galaxy right? Why are they at eachothers fucking throats all the time?

I never go to Star Wars marathons because I'd have to sit through them all. And I really, really love the OT.
>>
File: Erotic Lovecraft.png (40 KB, 633x230) Image search: [Google]
Erotic Lovecraft.png
40 KB, 633x230
>>63867412
>HP Lovecraft
I would have loved to see his Star Wars.
>>
>>63867796
Only extensive editing of each screenplay by people who actually know how to write screenplays would get rid of the majority of PT's problems.
>>
>>63867831
Yes. Because his Star Wars would've been about one man seeing horrifying wonders. He wouldn't have attempted an adventure story or about a fallen hero. He would've done what George should have done and focused wholly and unapologetically on the universe he was creating. It would have felt like a documentary, like a really good version of The Future is Wild or Man After Man.
It would also have been largely dialogue free aside from the occasional monologue or narration. Lovecraft knew what he was bad at, and avoided it as much as he could.
>>
>>63861878

You know, this line is often said on 4chan, but I sincerely mean it. I hope you get cancer and die. Something like you should not inhabit the same planet as me. Defending the prequels is the most retarded shit ever. Sure, you don't have to like TFA, but claiming the prequels are "excellent science fiction" movies is about as idiotic as it gets. There are so many stupid decisions plot wise, that I'm having a hard time comprehending that you actually exist and are not a troll. I could watch Episode 1 with you together and stop every 30 seconds to tell you why this scene was full of shit. The only good things that came from the prequels were Darth Maul, the music, Ewans Obi-Wan and Amidalas nipples.

Really, some nasty cancer I wish you, eating you away for the next decade and when you think "fuck, live is actually getting better for me now", then your metastasis-rotten body will get diagnosed with some inoperable tumor and you have only a few weeks left.
>>
>>63867412
>can't judge a movies merits by popularity
>proceedes to appeal to popular disappointment as a valid point
Acting was subpar. No one denies this. The films were still revolutionary works of space fantasy
>>
>>63861878
this bait is too much of a cheap shot. quit it retard
>>
File: Mexican.jpg (70 KB, 528x646) Image search: [Google]
Mexican.jpg
70 KB, 528x646
>>63867904
It would have been a Malick like examination of the Star Wars universe, if Malick were a misanthropic Atheist, and about equally racist as it already is.
>>
So, after years of sucking RLM's dick because of le epic Prequel reviews, now /tv/ yet again goes full retard with their praising revisionism of the prequel theory. Pathetic.
>>
>>63867976

>it spawned the CGI shitfest, and even managed to do so while using practical effects and sets

Oh joy. What a masterpiece.
>>
>>63867996
>Malick is the theist Lovecraft

Holy fuck, anon, I never thought of that.
You just reminded me that there are actually good movies out there.
>>
>>63867812
Shh. We're trying to pretend RLM said it first so we can trick ourselves into liking this awful shit.
>>
>>63868091
>coruscant wasn't mind blowing
>kamino wasn't mind blowing
>naboo wasn't mind horribly beautiful in a kincadian way
>geonosian arena wasn't cool in its organic insect style Gothic originality
>namodian home planet wasn't interesting as fuck
>kashykk tree House wasn't cool as fuck
>sink hole society of utupau wasn't unique as fuck
>massive space battle over coruscant wasn't mind blowing
>feluscia wasn't mind blowing
Stay stubborn
>>
>>63865908
>possibly, slaveholders
We know from the prequels that the Lars homestead used slaves at some point
>>
>>63861878
The only thing I liked about the prequels were the battles and saber duels
>>
>>63861878
Thanks for sharing.
>>
>>63861878
>Obi Wan riding the Varactyl
>General Grievous
>Seizure inducing action scenes
>needless attempts at comedy.
>Force use overload.

There's plenty of things wrong with the prequels, but I wouldn't say I hate them. It tried way too hard to be better than the OT, but ran off course from the feeling of the OT. Trying to make everything funny and for the kids ruined the prequels.
>>
File: star_wars_kenner.jpg (198 KB, 1023x673) Image search: [Google]
star_wars_kenner.jpg
198 KB, 1023x673
>>63865978
>>63866667
>>63866701
>implying Star Wars didn't always have toys out the ass from day one
>>
File: image.gif (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1 MB, 640x360
>>63862999
>well acted

You're so...beautiful.
Only because I'm so in love.
No..no..because I am so in love with you!

>OP is defending this
>>
I agree, I totally like prequels except for Phantom Menace, that one was a total piece of shit.
>>
>>63861878
>A narrator for children. You might as well hate C3PO too.

But I do.

>Star Wars always has had and always will have overwrought dialogue, because it is modeled as an epic. In fact, any dialogue involving the force is infinitely more ridiculous in the original trilogy.

You're wrong.

>It is much better than most films of the time.

Stop baiting please.
>>
I remember really loving OT as a kind and being massively disappointing after I got to watch Phantom. I thought I didn't understand it or something, but it bored me and I thought the story was confusing. EP II and III I actually enjoyed in cinema though, the bad by today's standards CGI was goat at the time. There was no magic of the originals but I didn't hate on them.
>>
>>63868227
>coruscant wasn't mind blowing
Sure it was pretty. Boring fucking place, though.
>kamino wasn't mind blowing
Not really. Just some domes, rain, and endless exposition.
>naboo wasn't mind horribly beautiful in a
kincadian way
Sure, it was pretty. What about this makes the movie a masterpiece?
>geonosian arena wasn't cool in its organic insect style Gothic originality
Again, you're only pointing out design.
>namodian home planet wasn't interesting as fuck
Ok, pretty sure that's EU shit.
>kashykk tree House wasn't cool as fuck
Again, sure, it was pretty.
>sink hole society of utupau wasn't unique as fuck
Sure, it was as unique as it was forgettable.
>massive space battle over coruscant wasn't mind blowing
It had zero tension. It looked pretty but that was it.
>feluscia wasn't mind blowing
It was pretty, sure

Your entire argument is these awful movies changed cinema for the better solely because they looked pretty. You also ignored my point.

Again. CGI shitfests are what happened in response to the prequels. Are you gonna tell me that CGI shitfests are generally good?
>>
>>63861878
patrician tier post
>>
File: 1445061931703.gif (35 KB, 445x445) Image search: [Google]
1445061931703.gif
35 KB, 445x445
>>63866177
>>63866364
>7
>better than anything

Disney pls go
>>
>>63862008
>we know this guy is going to become a Jedi eventually

So what you are saying is that the Prequels would have sucked no matter how they were written?

Thanks for validating OP
>>
>>63868435
Coruscant was anything but boring.
Kamino's clone factories looked advanced even for star wars and the kaminoans were disturbingly calm, sophisticated and their eyes looked like you were starting into a universe. Very unsettling and all together impression leaving.
Namodian home world appears in ep. 3, plo noon gets btfo during order 66 in his sexy as fuck blue and white striped delta 7
I'm sorry you forgot about it. I didn't

My point as it has always been is that it was a visual master piece.
Also yes, like it or not CGI shit fests work because people long to see fantastic works of human imagination brought to life. I have a love for well written, well acted, story driven films. There is room for both.
>>
People who like the prequels fall into one of three camps.

1. Reddit teenagers who think "prequels dont suck" because your mum told them to think that. Their brains are literally not developed enough to form opinions outside of groupthink.

2. People who were mentally handicapped when the prequels came out and "liked" them because they like everything. Probably just unintelligent in most matters.

3. Pedofaggs who won't accept anything but litle Anakin and jar-jar

The prequels are a useless piece of crap. Objectively, there are a bulk of reason to dislike them.
>>
>>63866659
>I bet most of them cant even tell me why its called ROTS

Because the ancient Sith got their shit pushed in by the Old Republic thousands of years before the prequels
>>
my favourite prequel moment is when everyone thinks yoda is some sort of green super weak bitch ass creature and he pulls out a lightsaber and starts tearing shit up

i used to be a star wars autist back then so I knew yoda is a grand master 800 year old stone cold motherfucker but everyone at the theater was gasping and laughing
>>
>>63866383
There's gotta be some kind of irony in somebody taking a photo of Lucas from Tunisia or whatever and photoshopping a green screen behind him.
>>
>>63866495
Carrie Fisher bitched about acting at nothing back in the 80s. This isn't some new thing Lucas implemented in the prequels.
>>
I AM HAUNTED BY THE KISS THAT YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE GIVEN ME

I DONT LIKE SAND. ITS COURSE AND ROUGH AND IT GETS EVERYWHERE. UNLIKE YOU, YOU'RE SOFT.

WAAAAH
>>
Anakin's fall to the dark side is the saddest and best written moment in the entire star wars canon.
>>
>>63870862
Bitching about a few blue screen scenes =/= acting on blue/green screens for 90% of the prequels.
Also, Carrie Fisher bitches about everything. I mean, can you imagine, they actually asked her to loose weight for the new movie! :O
>>
>>63870862
>>63871593
Also, it's not the greenscreens themselves that were the problem, but how they were implemented and the fact little to nothing was done to actually aid the actors in visualizing where they were and what was going on so they could incorporate that into their performance. Instead, Lucas just told them what to do like they were robots if the behind the scenes footage is to be believed.
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 600x255) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 600x255
>>63866117
I thought Dex smelled bad on the outside!

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/best-sets-of-the-pt.50013780/page-2
>>
Really like the part where the cgi animal farted
>>
>>63873514
I really, really, really liked it too.
>>
>>63861878
The prequals are an unfocused mess.
They could have made a whole movie about a poor/slave kid winning his way out of Tattoine through Pod racing and maybe even getting the girl.
They could have told a story about the two different peoples of a single planet coming together to defeat a single enemy like with the Naboo and the Gungans.
They could have told a story about a padwan beating a great challenge and proving himself worthy of the title of Jedi even in the face of the death of his master.
They could have told a story about trade disputes and intergalatic politics and all out galatical war.

They decided to tell of those stories and at the same time none at all. It'as fucking filled with useless garbage that serve no purpose to the overall story.

And that not even getting into the way the prequal handled Dooku and Greivous, seemingly top fucking villains that have important to the plot but get each a minute of the movies time before we are supposed to just assume they are evil and go with it.
Thread replies: 230
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.