[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So now that the dust has settled, can we all agree that it was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 20
So now that the dust has settled, can we all agree that it was pretty good?

Not without some major flaws of course, but as a Star Wars movie I was pretty satisfied. It strikes a balance between being a sequel/reboot to the Original Trilogy while introducing enough new elements to make it a story of its own, one which I think will find its own feet in the next two instalments.
>>
>>63861210

The dust hasn't settled.

and the movie was shit.
>>
>everyone on that poster
le JUST face
>>
>>63861237
>forcing this meme already

keep trying, you just might get it
>>
It was "pretty good" just like capeshit is "pretty good".

ie, committee'd to fuck and boring, with no egregious mistakes.
>>
>>63861210

>So now that the dust has settled, can we all agree that it was pretty good?

In a vacuum it was a very good movie and I really enjoyed it, but I hope to god that they take more chances in the next installment.
>>
>>63861436

>no egregious mistakes

what is your definition of egregious?
>>
>>63861210

It felt like a Star Wars movie, which is all I could ask for coming off of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

But it also feels that way mainly because it's such a retread of A New Hope. I definitely enjoyed it, but that's just not a fact I can let go of so easily.
>>
>>63861472
Bad acting, bad dialogue, bad CG, etc...
>>
>>63861436

the prequels were comittee'd to fuck (what do women like? time for half the movies to have romance scenes, what do kids like? jar jar here weo come!) while this movie avoids comittee logic (death of a fan favorite character, no annoying little kid characters)

I invite you to fuck off back to IMDb if you dont like this movie but insist on using buzzwords you dont understand
>>
Talk about a mediocre fucking movie. The film shined when it wasn't completely copying A New Hope, but that's a very small amount of time.
>>
>>63861558

I would argue killing off old characters is pretty "in" since it creates a good hook to get classic fans invested.

BB-8 was probably considered marketable enough for the kids, he just also happened to be a good character.
>>
>>63861210
It took a while to warm up to but I liked it. Definitely similar plot points from ANH, but the characters and just the whole different angle of the universe we get to see makes up for it. The pacing seemed odd and the cgi kind of threw me off.
>>
>>63861621
>I would argue killing off old characters is pretty "in" since it creates a good hook to get classic fans invested.

how does that work? "dude you need to see the new movie, they kill off han" "sounds epic, I'm a huge star wars fan after all"
>>
It was surprisingly good, in the sense that I had pretty low expectations.
They got all the little details right.
Plot was predictable but interesting enough, although the mc is a Mary Sue at this point and the writers ruined good moments by putting in unnecessary jokes.
Movie was well paced until you got to the end and realized there was no time for anyone to actually have a conversation 99 percent of the movie.
Most other complaints are nitpicks.
>>
>>63861666
Just curious, what did you see that made it surprisingly good? All I saw were rehashed plots from the originals sprinkled in with some original action scenes.
>>
>>63861661

Massive shake up of most people's head canon that forces them to reinvest in the series?

Just a thought, I definitely see your point though.
>>
>>63861436
Nah I'm not a fan of most capeshit but I liked the new star wars. Why can't you except that?
>>
>>63861451
Yeah this.

I will be very surprised if they try to rehash ESB and ROTJ in the future movies as much as they did with ANH in this one. For this movie it makes sense from their point of view, not so much for the others unless they really are creatively bankrupt. But we'll just have to wait and see :)
>>
>>63861991

Given the obvious set up of Rey's relation to the Skywalkers and therefore Kylo Ren, ESB is looking to be rehashed pretty hard.
>>
>>63862070
You might be right, but I feel like the reason they made this movie into ANH 2.0 was to renew interest in the Star Wars franchise after the prequels sort of left everyone feeling unsatisfied. It seemed like the majority consensus was "Original Trilogy = true star wars" and so JJ Abrams tried to deliver that to fans. Now that they've successfully made that connection and won people over again, I feel like they have a lot of room to do whatever they want with the next two movies as long as they keep certain original trilogy elements. Plus the fact that there will be a different director for each film gives me some hope that there will be something different in future movies.
>>
>>63861210
I'm going to give a real review, not like these attention whoring recluses who get hard bitching.

The Good:
The movie was excellent. Great pacing, character development.
- Good balance of practical and special effects/cgi.
- Great range of action, comedy, drama. Simple without being too overwrought with dialogue.
- Serves its purpose as a first episode of a continuing saga introducing new characters but also re-establishing old ones. Doesn't give too much away, but doesn't drag.

The Bad:
- So many nods to episode 4 makes this film sometimes feel repetitive/predictable. However, I will admit that while watching I never felt that it took anything away.
- Han Solo fight in Millennium falcon felt awkward, could have been better executed and the cgi was unconvincing.
- cgi for snoke was unimpressive
- when the planets were destroyed they didn't feel well established enough to have a big impact
- I never understood what was so important about Maz Kanata, not enough was done to flesh that character out

Final thoughts:
I will watch it again in theaters and see if these negatives go away. I feel like I missed some stuff being caught in the moment and just one viewing. With that said, this really has me interested in a sequal, and getting to sea Luke and the Force come out full force. I feel like this movie served many purposes, and did so well, but still it is a first film that establishes much while also reacquainting us with old friends. It would be foolish of me to expect too much. However, I expect a lot of new stuff from the next movie regarding the Force and other elements of the Star Wars Galaxy.
>>
>>63862372

I see what you're saying.

Right now, I'm waiting for the next film. If they do go in a different direction, I'll probably look more favorably on the homages of this film and appreciate the foundation it sets. But right now I'm just worried I'm going for a retuned version of the same ride.
>>
>>63861210
Was that poster drawn deliberately to make everyone look fucking retarded?
>>
>>63862398
You seem extremely optimistic and naive, I'm going to assume you're pretty new to the series. If you're seriously interested in learning more about the deep parts of the lore/background then go play the old LucasArts games they put out on PC. Galactic Battlegrounds specifically.
>>
>>63862398
>I never understood what was so important about Maz Kanata, not enough was done to flesh that character out

She was able to take all 20 inches of Chewie's furry throbbing cock despite being like 2 feet tall. She's a champ.
>>
>>63861210
It was ok
>>
>>63861737
By surprisingly good, I mainly mean not terrible.
It was a cut and paste from the OT plot wise, yeah, but that made it better than the prequels in and of itself.
The new trilogy has potential.
>>
>>63862572

Believe it or not, I was around playing the old star wars games on snes, and nearly every PC game since then. It has nothing to do with my review or enjoyment of the series and the new movie.
>>
>>63861210
So mediocre. Was expecting much more.

Rian Johnson is patrician tier so I have high hopes for the next one. At least he'll give Luke some fucking lines to read.
>>
>>63862546
>thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

You literally just revealed your youth and naivety. Anime is incredibly repetitive and over the top. Very few have actually been good quality in writing and execution. This is coming from someone who ate up all anime for years until I woke up to reality. Looking back it all looks so formulaic and lazy, but when you're young and its new, it seams so cool and deep. Hopefully you wake up someday.
>>
Too much fan service. Too much SJW pandering. Just enough muh lazer fights. Not as bad as the prequels but was too similar to the original trilogy.
>>
>>63862546
5/10 future school shooter
>>
>>63861210

It was an inferior retread of A New Hope. Almost the exact same plot.
>>
No we can't all agree this was good. We can all agree that it was basically A New Hope done really shitty.

Desert planet? check
Droid carrying secret data? check
Raw Jedi living on desert planet? check
Escape in millennium falcon? Check
Cantina scene? check
Baddy in funky mask? check
Big baddy controlling it all? check
Death star? check
attack planet to sabotage death star? check
trench run? check
big explosion at the end? check
death of major character? check

the list goes on and on and on. This was one of the poorest excuses for a film I've ever seen and most of you who like it will not even remember it in a years time. So no, we don't all agree, some of us have minds of our own.
>>
New thread

>>>63862894
>>
File: 1450326586508.jpg (6 KB, 255x220) Image search: [Google]
1450326586508.jpg
6 KB, 255x220
>>63863926
It was really disappointing. God I had such high hopes. Even with the spoilers I went in. I loved the scenes. But afterwards as I synthesized what I'd just watched, it's all so cheap.

I feel like the film got fucked up in editing somehow. But JJ is a hack so who knows. Also what the fuck Kasdan. You can write better than this.
>>
File: 1449628245685.jpg (17 KB, 281x246) Image search: [Google]
1449628245685.jpg
17 KB, 281x246
>>63863937
>38 replies
>2 image replies
>NEW THREAD HURR
fuck off
>>
>>63863983
>I had such high hopes
fucking idiot
>>
The movie felt so small. We didn't learn anything about the state of the galaxy and it felt like nothing actually happened.
>>
>>63861558
>the prequels were comittee'd to fuck (what do women like...
You're wrong because it's clear George had near total control but correct because there are enough voices in his head to count as "committee thinking."
>>
>>63864046
Just like there is pretty much zero world building in the OT besides the basic Force/Jedi exposition.

Hopefully they scale it up though, we're probably going to be introduced to the Republic homeworlds and the overall conflict in 8.
>>
>>63864208
What conflict? The First Order must have put all their chips on this thing that's an order of magnitude larger than the Death Star. Now it's BTFO. All that's left is Nux and maybe Kylo and Snoke.

The politics in this movie was really dumb, they don't explain shit.
>>
Movie was spoiled for me ahead of time by assholes on the internet, watching it was a joyless mental checklist.

I bet it would have been great if I actually got to see it for the first time.
>>
>>63864208
>zero world building in the OT

lol?
>>
>>63864305
>watching it was a joyless mental checklist.
I'm sure writing it was very much the same kind of experience.
>>
>>63862546
> recommending SAO
> Aldnoah Zero is the shit

This is some fantasticly terrible taste, even for 4chan. Are you here because /a/ chased you off?
>>
The dust hasn't settled and the movie is garbage.

It is to A New Hope what Into Darkness was to Wrath of Khan.

Every single scene after the rathtars is a parody of an OT scene with a whole bunch of cynical humor and sarcastic "too cool for this shit" flippancy on Abrams' part. You could have called this movie Spaceballs 2: The Search For More Money and I honestly would have believed it.

The only scene that works at all is Han's death, and even in that scene Kylo Ren's lines constantly flip between decent and shit.

It's like seeing someone dance around in clothing stitched together from the flayed skin of an old friend. There might be some element of skill to the needlework on the seams, but that's not even the twentieth biggest problem with what you're seeing.
>>
File: 1435473603520.png (196 KB, 589x434) Image search: [Google]
1435473603520.png
196 KB, 589x434
7/10, it was entertaining as hell in some parts (I liked the Jakku stuff and many of the scenes with Kylo Ren), but way too much like A New Hope and Jedi's finales kind of blended as a rehash. Besides Han/Kylo and the lightsaber fights that's almost exactly what it fucking was. Imo it also totally dropped the ball trying to fill us in on what the fuck happened in the intervening 30 years. They answered so little and left me so fucking confused as to what/where/why with the setting.

>Why does a faction devoted to hunting down Skywalker need a superweapon that blows up planets? Why would they devote the resources to building that instead of you know, fucking combing the galaxy for their one intended purpose?
>Is the First Order officially part of the Empire or just a remnant of it?
>Does The Empire still exist? How could no one in the movie fucking clarify where it stands vs First Order existing?
>How powerful is First Order relative to the Resistance relative to the Republic?
>What the fuck is the point of "the resistance" against the First Order being a separate entity, rather than being you know, the fucking Republic itself, on business to hunt down the Empire remnants clearly out to start shit?

They didn't have to pull a Lucas and spend half the movie carefully reviewing what happened with the factions/aftermath of Jedi, but not even one fucking line clearly stating what is what and who is who in the galaxy in the movie's timeline, is just shit. Shit.
>>
File: kmfalk.jpg (23 KB, 100x80) Image search: [Google]
kmfalk.jpg
23 KB, 100x80
Seen the movie guys?
Seriously i'm going nuts or what.....
I remember when the firsts star wars 7 trailers came out on youtube there was a scene where you was seeing one guy (jedi or sith prabably) walking into a narrow path surrounded by 6-7 guys litting they're lightsabber to prevent the guy going further (seemed very powerfull)
I watched the movie today and it was not in the movie but I REALLY seen that scene many times I might be not the only one right?
And right now i'm not finding it anywhere.....
>>
>>63861210
Tumblr tier Mary Sue ruined everything, though.
>>
>>63864717

There were a lot of fake trailers.

The real teasers and trailers can be found on the Star Wars youtube channel. Anything else is fake.
>>
>>63864814
Yeah fuck Luke man what a stupid character
>>
>>63861237
Nice meme.
>>
>>63861210
No the movie is jew sjw propaganda to turn us all into mindless drones. For those who liked it, they sholud kill themselves, it is too late for them.

On a brighter note, I liked it. Acting and chemistry was good, action and humor also. Shure it is far form perfect, but if it is fun, if it feels like Star Wars should feel, who gives a shit. Im planning to see it at least two more times.
>>
>>63864611
>Why does a faction devoted to hunting down Skywalker need a superweapon that blows up planets? Why would they devote the resources to building that instead of you know, fucking combing the galaxy for their one intended purpose?
Hunting Skywalker was one small part of their operations. Making Empire stronk is another.
>>
>>63861210
yea
>>
7/10

too much like ANH with glaring flaws and some weak-ass characters but still enjoyable
>>
>>63861210
>Good:
Great characters, good pacing, genuinely funny.
>Bad:
Very unoriginal, meh plot
>>
>>63867427
>and some weak-ass characters
The characters were literally the best part of the movie. Finn and Poe were fucking great
>>
>>63861666
The backstory made zero sense
Its literally lol here is the not rebel alliance fighting against the not empire and here is not tatooine the not death star
Oh yeah and here is a random nigger and the bad guy is an emo
>>
>>63861237
>>63861237
>>63861237
>>
>>63867606
The backstory wasn't explained at all. We don't yet know how the rebel alliance became the resistance, or how the empire became the first order
>>
>>63867662
Exactly, thats why it made zero sense
>>
File: 1449955226300.gif (2 MB, 200x293) Image search: [Google]
1449955226300.gif
2 MB, 200x293
>>63861210
>the dust has settles
>anyone on the internet agreeing
you should post that on /r/funny
>>
>>63861210
The whole second act sucked for me and I can't give it too much credit for just hiding behind a New Hope.
Kylo Ren needs more screen time and Rey needs to develop something other than LET GO OF MY HAND/Millenium Falcon jokes for me to give a fuck.
One of the enemy forces needs to be menacing because Grandpa Han just fucked up Death Star x10 while telling jokes

Decent start but it needs to pay off next film.
Why Phasma didn't play that random stormtrooper that beat up Finn was confusing as fuck.
>>
>>63863926

>Desert planet?
EP 1234 and 6
>Droid carrying secret data?
Ep 4(6 if Luke's saber is a secret)
>Raw Jedi living on desert planet?
Alright I'll give you that one
(Unless you count 5 with Yoda)

>Escape in millennium falcon?
>Cantina scene?
2,4 and 6
>Baddy in funky mask?
Constantly in Star Wars
Though not necessarily the movies
>Big baddy controlling it all?
every movie
>Death star?
>attack planet to sabotage Death Star?
sure okay
>trench run?
4 and 6
>big explosion at the end?
124 and 6
>death of major character?
1Quigon
3fucking everyone
4 Old Ben
5han kinda
6emperor and Vader

These are things that make up Star Wars
>>
>>63867606
>lol here is the not rebel alliance fighting against the not empire and here is not tatooine the not death star
totally true

the whole thing did feel very star-wars like and I liked it, but the story is a joke.
>>
>>63861210
>So now that the dust has settled, can we all agree that it was pretty good?
It was pretty bad. It was Nostalgia: The Movie.

"Hey, do you remember the Millennium Falcon? WELL HERE IT IS. Hey, do you remember Han and Chewie? WELL HERE THEY ARE. Hey, do you remember Leia? WELL HERE SHE IS (NO, THAT'S NOT PALPATINE, THAT'S REALLY THE WOMAN YOU NERDS FAPPED TO). OH AND HE'S C3P0. Where's R2, you're asking? RIGHT HERE! But he doesn't work... OH WAIT HE DOES! AND NOW HERE'S LUKE!"

They even did it with Darth Vader and his mask.

They didn't squeeze in Lando, guess they're saving him for a sequel (although I'm sure Lando was originally supposed to be the owner of that hideout Han takes them to), but they did squeeze in his co-pilot for Return (and don't you say "it was a different guy, just the same alien race" because credits confirm it was the same dude).

It just fucking sucked. Han Solo was cool because he was this sly young dude who eventually fucks a princess. Nobody wants to see him as an old fart married to a woman who now looks like Emperor Palpatine. I get that the film needs a Kenobi like episode 4 had, a connection to the past, and Luke would have been perfect for that. The other characters should have just been references or cameos. Kinda hard for these new characters to have their own story when you got the old characters stealing the show from them.

Bear in mind: this is just one problem the film had.
>>
>>63861210
5>6>7>3>4>1>2
>>
>>63868634
>Thinking this is a valid criticism
Hahaha alright, I can't believe you spent all that time writing out shit that is objectively wrong. Gotta keep it relatively familiar, this movie felt more like Star Wars than any of the prequels ever did
>>
>>63868634
While I'm with you that it was nostalgia the movie, I don't think it was bad. Very average, but not bad. That they mamaged to make a movir where some 6 planets, one a superweapon, blow up and it still felt like nothing really happened was impressive though. It was just one long stage setting for all the movies to come... I hope.

I do think its the worst SW movie tp date, possibly counting the Ewok ones I dont much remember though
>>
>>63868076
A New Hope
0. Girl gets captured by Darth Vader and the Empire.
1. A droid carrying top secret data for the rebellion escapes being captured by the Empire and lands on a desert planet.
2. There, it is taken captured by little dudes, but then saved when a young man buys it.
3. The young man finds out about its secret mission and decides to help.
4. The old man leads them to a shady bar.
5. With the assistance of another man, they get off the planet on a Millennium Falcon, escaping the Empire.
6. The bad guys blow up a planet.
7. The Millennium Falcon gets captured by a bigger ship (the Death Star).
8. Good guys try to save a girl, but she winds up saving herself and them.
9. While escaping, the old character who was guiding the good guys dies before their eyes.
10. The good guys get away, though, and meet up with the rebellion.
11. The rebellion attacks the Death Star, racing against the clock as the Death Star is trying to destroy their planet.
12. Han Solo comes in with the assist, allowing the good guys to blow up the Death Star.
13. Good guys win. The end.
>>
>>63869074

The Force Awakens
1. A droid carrying top secret data for the [RESISTANCE] escapes being captured by the [FIRST ORDER] on a desert planet.
2. There, it is taken captured by [ONE] little dude, but then saved when a young [WOMAN] [SAYS SWIPER NO SWIPING].
3. The young [WOMAN] finds out about its secret mission and decides to help.
5. With the assistance of another man, they get off the planet on a Millennium Falcon, escaping the [FIRST ORDER].
7. The Millennium Falcon gets captured by a bigger ship (the Death Star).
4. The old man leads them to a shady bar.
6. The bad guys blow up [FIVE PLANETS].
10. The good guys [FIGHT THE FIRST ORDER] [AND] meet up with the [RESISTANCE].
0. Girl gets captured by [KYLO REN] and the [FIRST ORDER].
8. Good guys try to save the girl, but she winds up saving herself and them.
11. The rebellion attacks the [STARKILLER BASE], racing against the clock as the [STAR KILLER BASE] is trying to destroy their planet.
12. Han Solo comes in with the assist, allowing the good guys to blow up the [STARKILLER BASE].
9. While [SETTING CHARGES], the old character who was guiding the good guys dies before their eyes.
13. Good guys win. The end.

Some of the stuff gets shuffled around, some of the stuff is just renamed, but it's essentially the exact same movie. Phantom Menace at least tried something new.
>>
>>63868916
There's a big difference between "keeping it familiar" and "shoving references down your throat." The movie does a good job in the first twenty minutes or so of keeping it familiar. Once it introduces the Millennium Falcon, it becomes a constant barrage of "HEY HERE'S A THING YOU LIKED FROM THE OLD TRILOGY THAT WAS A GOOD ONE HUH" and the new characters get lost in the callbacks. Han Solo completely overshadows Finn and Rey, and Poe barely gets any screen time.

Leia should have been, like, just a reference. We really didn't need to see her (especially considering how she looks now).
>>
>>63869105
Outside of R2D2 and C3PO phantom menace is a good movie and is much better written and or edited than force awakens.
>>
>>63869195

fucking hell yeah dude I loved jar jar binks and the 10 minute long pod racing sequence and darth vader turning out to have been an obnoxious little kiddy, good movie, only redditors hate it!
>>
>>63869253
Nothing wrong with pod racing or kid Anakin, especially since all Georges movies ended up as Anakins full story. Jar Jar, while I get the hate, never bothered me. A rasta moron alien is just as believable as any other.
>>
File: C3P0 Jedi Knight.jpg (79 KB, 604x483) Image search: [Google]
C3P0 Jedi Knight.jpg
79 KB, 604x483
>>63869195
Phantom Menace had a lot of problems. None of them were being a direct ripoff of A New Hope. Even the callbacks were done better there (despite the stupidity of Anakin making C3P0, which makes C3P0 Luke and Leia's brother if you think about it).

>when yoda said "there is another" he was talking about c3p0
>>
>>63869253
pod racing and final fight were the only saving graces.
>>
File: ANIKAN-SABER-LULZ.gif (779 KB, 720x306) Image search: [Google]
ANIKAN-SABER-LULZ.gif
779 KB, 720x306
>>63869337
>the lightsaber fights in the prequels were good

No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw

That's one thing about these new ones: the saber fights were fucking good. Hopefully, they don't become like the prequel fights.
>>
>>63869336
The only other really dumb thing beyond the droids was midiclorians and space jesus... but whatever. I can roll with too. That force awakens was largely anh remixed, but worse was a huge letdown though... even if it still wasnt outright bad. Did we even know what planets they blew up? Seemed liked they skimmed over so much shit just to cram more references in.
>>
>>63869448
>Did we even know what planets they blew up?
I looked it up.

It was A Planet We've Never Heard Or Seen Before Plus Four Others. Like, nobody knows what those four others were except they're in the same system.
>>
>>63861210
It was very disappointing I feel no connection to it.

Starwars is dead
>>
>>63865070
I hope this is bait
>>
>>63869336
The sequels/prequels are just a tired embarrassing parade of "I am your father." This is why I only have enough space on my shelf for just two of these films.
>>
Could have done a with a different heroine tbqh lads. Nothing super wrong with Rey but the extent to which she was Padme Amidala made it feel beyond tired and lazy.
>>
>>63868076
Go back to sleep JJ, you're still drunk
>>
>>63861558
>he
>>
File: 1446970244357.png (144 KB, 400x322) Image search: [Google]
1446970244357.png
144 KB, 400x322
>>63868753
>>
I'm not a fan of Jar Jar Abrams, but I thought this movie was brilliant. Maybe that's my inner Star Wars fanboy kicking in, but I saw it today.
>cried in like 5 different scenes from the appearances of OT characters.
>>
>>63870143
Sounds like you're a little bitch desu senpai
>>
>>63861210
It was fine. There was a little to much humor directed at kids (thanks Disney). It worked, I just could have done without it. But overall, while there was nothing new, it was fun movie.
>>
Am I the only one who the the dialogue as a whole was really bad and cringey? Every time Ren opened his mouth I felt like punching him or telling him to shut up.

Also this movie makes what happens in the OT completely irrelevant by just restarting everything they worked hard to accomplish.
>m-mug soft reboot
Nigger it's not a reboot when the setting is just the exact same as it was in ANH
>>
>>63870991
Nah. There was a lot of off dialouge.
>>
>>63861210
>can we all agree
Has there ever been, in the entire history of 4chan, a thread where "can we all agree" has resulted in people all actually agreeing?
>>
>>63861539
but TFA had all of those anon
>>
File: 1439880902131.png (19 KB, 275x380) Image search: [Google]
1439880902131.png
19 KB, 275x380
>>63861210
>>
File: 8768769786781.gif (27 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
8768769786781.gif
27 KB, 200x200
>>63861237
>the movie was shit.

Cool meme Kylo
>>
The movie was utter shit. The label says star wars, there are characters from star wars, but it doesn't feel like star wars at all.
It feels like a fan of star wars had a lot of cash and decided to make a fan movie but getting everything about star wars wrong. then he figured out this and he had to riddle the movie with references to remind you that "hey, remember that this is star wars, you like star wars right".
>>
>>63861383
>>63864909
>Y-y-you're just being contrarian.
>P-p-pls just like the movie.

Everything is a meme at this point
>>
>>63861210
>it was pretty good
Can somebody explain this meme to me?
The movie was passable at best, it was nowhere near "good" territory.
The dialogue was shit, the protagonist was a mary sue with no flaws, many characters weren't developed enough, the lightsaber fights were terrible, and the casting was average at best. Leia and Han in particular didn't seem to give a fuck.
>>
>>63870991
Too much JJ snark.
>>
>>63871897
Han and Chewie were the only believable bit of acting in the whole thing, to the point they literally steal the show from any of the new characters. They really should have just been a cameo like Leia.
>>
>>63871897
I don't understand either. It was a mediocre movie in a lot of aspects, why does this have to be a contrarian opinion out of spite? I thought it was bait at the very beginning but i'm less sure every hour.
>>
>>63871897
fuck off back to reddit kid
>>
>>63861210
noting new and goes nowhere. Its a once and done flick. You can literally watch E4 twice in the saga now and not skip a beat.
>>
>>63872241
>likes star wars movies
>accuses others of being kids
>>
>>63862372
making a rehash did the opposite for me. It's a very stupid thing to do.
>>
>>63862398
>Serves its purpose as a first episode of a continuing saga
this makes no sense.
>>
>>63868076
so lets do again, these fucking hacks.
>>
File: 1450291277974.jpg (188 KB, 1280x622) Image search: [Google]
1450291277974.jpg
188 KB, 1280x622
>>63861210
The dust has not settled, The studio is still shilling the fuck out of this piece of shit. Nostalgia is in over drive. I have seen it twice, not on my dime. I would not pay to see this abomination. I can confirm it gets worse the more you watch it. The poor writing become more apparent and the absolute disregard of cannon. Yes it is flashy, crap goes boom a lot. Just a word to the wise "The more flashy crap, the weaker the plot" .
>>
>>63869253
Ren as a fucking otaku so go fuck yourself. At least Anikin was a little kid.
>>
>>63871850
Thank you, you fucking nailed it. It also reminds me of something some neck beard living in mommies basement wrote. Utter trash. Casual faggots gobble this shit up. Any thing Star Wars they jump on the bandwagon.
>>
File: 1424980973241.png (3 KB, 203x212) Image search: [Google]
1424980973241.png
3 KB, 203x212
This didn't really feel like a Star Wars movie to me. This didn't have the classic cinematography that we've all come to know and appreciate.

It had all the things that make Star Wars, except the unique charm you get when watching the movie. Even the prequels did this, despite their inherent flaws, it still felt like I was watching a grand space opera.

This movie felt dumbed down and rehashed, and without the novelty. I won't even get into the acting, which is another subject completely.
>>
>>63870143
Go see it again, I know you SW faggots love to watch the SW movies over and over again. Once the nostalgia wears off its a total turd of a film.
>>
The movies story was a bit to predictable. I get that they wanted to have a slow introduction to the new series of films, but literally having deathstar 3.0 with some major weakness to blow up was kinda cheap. The thing is that the movie had so much going on for it and didn't really set it's focus on that surrounding storyline and more on the characters (like the OT) so that it still worked pretty well. I was really surprised at the solid acting, Kylo, Rey and Finn were are way better than i expected and Harrison Ford caught me complete off guard with a great performance since i was expecting him either having almost no screentime or deliver a horrible performance like in the new indiana jones. The pacing was great, so was middleground they found in the lightsaber battles, them not being some choreographed dance, but still having them somewhat more "advanced" than in the OT.
Movie was funny at some parts and the action sequences were great, like i guess most people expected.
I don't think they could have done this movie a whole lot better. Don't get me wrong, it's a far from perfect film, but people seem to forget that at the end of the day stars wars just is a cheesy action flick. A very very well done one, but not really comparabel to say the godfather or whatever, since it's just something else. TFA mirrored this very well imo
>>
File: image.jpg (8 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
8 KB, 125x125
>>63861237
Nice meme faggot, fucking kill yourself, dumb nugger probably never even seen starwars. Go back to being a no friend faggot and just end it will take? Fuck you and everyone who looks like you.
>>
>>63872851
Apart from carrie fischer the acting was fucking fine. It's funny, you can bash the story, the nostalgia pandering all you want, but most people agree that the acting was extremely solid for this kind of movie from the entire cast, even Ford
>>
>>63861210
it was a cheap rehash and nothing more
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 873x692) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 873x692
>>63862546
I don't even think killing yourself will solve anything with this level of autism, I hope Isis goes fucking chimp over everything you love.
>>
Ok now where's the stream?
>>
>>63862398
You got dropped on you head as a baby, I can tell. the movie sucks worse than the shitty prequels. WTF is wrong with your fucking brain. Don't worry faggot Disney is gonna keep making them. They are 4 billion dollors in the hole. They will make so many of them that SW will be like toy story, and Ironman and the many other IPs that Disney beat to death. They will make Star Wars meaningless. Enjoy.....
>>
File: 1445118530006.jpg (44 KB, 468x336) Image search: [Google]
1445118530006.jpg
44 KB, 468x336
>>63861737
This guy has down syndrome.
>>
>>63873353
> implying TFA alone won't clear 4b in merch and sales

Besides, EA probably already paid them a solid 500m minimum for the videogame rights alone.
>>
We can agree that it was a gilb fascimile.
>>
>>63873494
Absolutely
>>
>>63861210
Read IMDB reviews, first page already only has 50% positive reviews, after that it's all 0 -> 5 / 10.
Movie was slightly entertaining but overall shit.Y
Thinking otherwise = being a moron with no tastes, just get ready for the next transformers/marvel/star trek whatever, and stay quiet.
>>
File: image.jpg (5 KB, 125x109) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5 KB, 125x109
>>63873353
Another faggot who hasn't seen ANY of the films. Quit your autistic act and go kills yourself by telling iOS where you are so I can watch them murder you on a poorly shot Internet video. Fucking pleb.
>>
>>63861210
it was good but not great. Somewhere in between the originals and the prequels
>>
>>63871783
Its not a meme you fucking sperg
>>
File: 1442860007154.jpg (13 KB, 242x255) Image search: [Google]
1442860007154.jpg
13 KB, 242x255
In a few years it will be just as hated as the prequels are now. Mark my words.
>>
>>63861210
Hole Lee Fucking Shut

The artist could have literally drawn a gorilla in clothes and it would not look any different. Sweet Jesus.
>>
>>63874742
Almost for sure worse than them, as its by far the worst to date. The comment I've best seen sum it up is "You think EA Battlefront has no content, wait til you see the movie"
>>
>>63874742
A few years? try next year especially if Rogue One ends up being more than just a piece of shit "homage"
>>
File: The Force Awakens.webm (2 MB, 400x226) Image search: [Google]
The Force Awakens.webm
2 MB, 400x226
>>63874742

I give it three months.

And I think it will be MORE hated.

Abrams has managed to take a franchise historically known for being incredibly imaginative, a franchise that drew from almost all of film history to take the familiar and make it new and original, and he has used it to make a movie that does absolutely nothing new and only ever uses other Star Wars material for its inspiration. Every single idea in this movie was ripped from either an existing movie or a Legends EU work.

If TFA was any more inbred, it would be a Targaryen. The fanfiction.net tier of writing that pervades this movie -- especially Abrams' obvious self-insert Mary Sue character, Rey -- is more pointlessly incestuous than a gay clone trooper orgy.

It's not an homage -- that would imply some level of respect for the original material. It's not even a remake -- that would imply some level of understanding of why and how the original material worked as well as it did. It's grim parody. It's not just that the plot's a retread, it's that every story beat is totally disconnected from every other, seemingly happening only because "this is what the OT did but we're going to do it with a sly, knowing wink to the audience to let them know we're in on the joke" rather than for any coherent reason in-universe. You could have told me after the credits rolled that I actually watched Spaceballs 2: The Search For More Money, and I'd have believed it -- and believed that Mel Brooks has lost much of his wit and ALL of his charm.

This is the eighth Star Wars movie to see theatrical release, following the OT, the PT, and the pilot film for The Clone Wars, and it is by far the absolute worst of them all. Even Star Wars: The Clone Wars: the movie is better than this pile of garbage.
>>
>>63861210

I didn't like it for the following reasons:

1) Tryharding to play the nostalgia card. That can go right - the new Bond did an admirable job at doing it, despite its manifold flaws. In case of Ep. VII it didn't. This leads to....

2)...it being a rehash of ep. IV. A new hope started the phenomenon, you can't just do it again but with a different cast, that is doomed to fail. The new death star in particular was an outrageous offender. Not only is it like ten times bigger than the original, it becomes a planet-killing shotgun. That was cringeworthy.

3) Rey was a complete and utter Mary Sue as you can find here in the dictionary. That can happen in crappy fan fiction, but not in fucking Star Wars. Plus, the whole "female protagonist" /tv/ had a fit about in fear of their golden cow becoming SJW heaven got inverted when shoehorning a woman into a man's role and being basically perfect at everything.

4) The first order dropping the slightest trace of subtlety and jumping the nazi chic train without looking behind. Come on, man. Making your evil faction a clone of the third Reich is the fart joke of writing.

5) The entire space opera vibe got lost. Soundtrack was insignificant, action scenes were way too modern, just like previously on JJ's Star Trek reboots. Just like when watching these I felt like sitting in the cinema for a Marvel movie.

6) Pacing was off, the movie took its time in the first hour and then got cramped at the end.

7) A lesser point of criticism, the 3D effects were godawful.

That's what I could come up with from the top of my head. It's a 4/10 for me.

I really liked Boyega and BB8, to be fair.
>>
>>63875195
>historically known for being incredibly imaginative,
stopped reading there

if you weren't a retard you would realize that Star Wars is literally a pastiche of some of the most well known tropes, going back as far as ancient myths and legends. retard.
>>
>>63862546
>if you know anime like i do
pls be bait
>>
>>63875260
Not anon you are responding to, but let's be real. Star Wars Episode IV is more universally known than most myths at this point (and yes it borrowed from many myths). I mean look at Game of Thrones, it copies plenty of myths, and many of them people aren't familiar with.

Episode VII copied Episode IV, and especially seeing as the public decided to appropriate nerd culture (thanks Big Bang), now most people are very familiar with ALL of Star Wars. Most kids I know have already been shown the OT.

I find it funny that the "fans" (used extremely loosely because we are all now fans with only episode 1-6 being cannon, and only fucking rose-tinted glasses fags defending this garbage) are defending this movie by claiming it was A) Fun B) "Everyone else takes this movie way too seriously...."

Sorry buds, fact is Star Wars is serious. The story elements (Settings/characters) can be corny, but the character development/dialogue isn't. Everyone was fucking pissed about Jar Jar mainly because he was a fucking clown. Watch OT, and even the prequels (- Jar Jar, Lloyd, Hayden Christensen, dialogue in II, first half of III) where you can clearly see the serious feel.

In this movie Poe = no character development. Finn = character development, yet ends up being useless. Rey = Mary Sue (oh wait she is complicated childhood past and poverty).

They wrote this whole movie to defend itself from criticism, and because it wasn't noticeably garbage all the fanboys are going crazy. The movie, especially when taking into account the resources they hard, was complete and total shit, because of the fact they did play it safe, and took no chances.

This movie was a shit nostalgia trip interspersed with plastic Disney ideologies. The "bro" friendships formed (Poe + Finn), awkward but cute love story (Finn + Rey), Kumbaya all is forgiven lovers (Han + Leia), and let's not forget a chrome trooper that does fucking nothing, and also a giant hologram leper.

Sick of these "fans."
>>
>>63875260

Yeah, but it took all those old familiar tropes, myths, and legends, and put some actual EFFORT into reworking them to make them new.

Star Wars draws on so many sources throughout the history of film and literature and then synthesizes everything into something original. Lucas drew inspiration from all kinds of places, most notably Kurosawa films and Flash Gordon serials but also just about everything else out there, and brought it all together.

Abrams' only source of inspiration or ideas is Star Wars itself. It's a closed system, and can only collapse into entropy. Star Wars is pastiche, but TFA is parody.
Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.