[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Things we enjoyed about The Force Awakens >based Oscar Isaac
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 11
File: PoeDameronHS-Fathead.png (506 KB, 576x768) Image search: [Google]
PoeDameronHS-Fathead.png
506 KB, 576x768
ITT: Things we enjoyed about The Force Awakens

>based Oscar Isaac
>>
I wanted to like him after his performance in Ex Machina but the film did absolutely nothing to make me care about him other than slap his face on a poster. Out of the three main characters only Fin succeeded in this regard.
>>
He was a cool guy when he was hanging around with Finn, but I think they went too deep in the GREATEST AND BEST PILOT EVER OF ALL TIME thing.
>>
>>63859185
best character
>>
Tray Tor
>>
>>63859234
yeah, we didn't see him do much
he's charismatic with the little time he gets so that's a good
Next movie I want to see him bro it up with Finn
>>
>>63859234
I didn't even realize Poe and that guy from ex machina were the same guy. My mind has just been blown.
>>
I think overall they did a good job casting. I liked most of the characters.
I also am beyond happy that we've returned to lightsaber duels that feel weighty and like the characters are actually fighting for their lives. The over choreographed kung fu shit from the prequels was the worst.
>>
Best character
>>
>>63859431
>charismatic
just because you want to fuck him does not mean he has charisma.
>>
>>63859329

Why? He didn't even do anything really. Kylo Ren was the best thing about TFA
>>
File: 1447830441334.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1447830441334.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>63859185
Hey anon! Good work today! Yer a good guy!

;_;
>>
What's the fuss with this actor? Is he a fresh meme or something I'm unaware of?
>>
>>63859652
just because you want to be a contrarian doesn't mean he's has no charisma
>>
>>63859467
literally about to post the same thing. it was the completely different haircut and shave
>>
The casting for everyone was solid. Nobody did a bad job or seemed out of place. The Han/Ben sequence was very well shot and provided one of the two well done call-backs to the OT. The other being C3PO because while it was in your face, it felt on purpose and provided a sensible chuckle. Kylo was better than expected. Han had a couple of good lines. The Luke reveal was pretty good.

Yeah that's everything good about it.
>>
>>63859185
>Everyone wants to fuck the Mexican
Not while Emperor Trump has a say in it.
>>
>>63859185

Finn was a lot of fun and I really want him and Poe teaming up more in the next movies.

Kylo Ren is a REALLY well done character. He's a villain that's meant to evoke pity more than intimidation and manages to be written effectively as "is a little bitch with an inferiority complex the size of Yavin IV" without making the scenes with him interminable to watch.
>>
[Spoiler]Finn and the injured Kylo Ren wailing away at each other[/spoiler]
>>
>>63859855
>Kylo Ren was the best thing about TFA
Kylo Ren fucking sucked. He was a man child pussy
>>
>>63859943
He was fantastic in Drive, A Most Violent Year, Ex Machina and especially Inside Llewyn Davis
>>
>>63860854
I've said this in other threads too - but I really like the lightsaber battles in this one. 4-6 were too clunky and 1-3 has this over-choreographed feel to it.
>>
>>63860955

I've said for awhile, the lightsaber first and foremost must reflect the underlying character conflicts that drive them. A duel is fucking PERSONAL and how it progresses should illustrate the respective personalities and aspects of people involved in the duel.

4-6 did that at its best. 1-3 went for whatever made for the biggest spectacle instead, and this movie returned to that framework.
>>
>>63860854
the fact that the stormtroopers are actual people and the one with the stun thing went ham on Finn for being a traitor
>>
That first person shot from inside the X-Wing's cockpit was goddamned fucking amazing.

I liked most of the movie though.
>>
>>63859185

BB-8 was a great R2 replacement.
>>
>Drive
>Robin Hood
>Sucker Punch
>Inside Llewyn Davis
>A Most Violent Year
>Ex Machina
>Star Wars

Dudes almost Gary Oldman level chameleon. a violent year is one of the most underrated from this year.
>>
>>63861144

He was fun.

>that thumbs up he shoots Finn

He just feels like he has less utility than R2-D2 though.
>>
File: Daisy-as-Rey.jpg (656 KB, 2040x1360) Image search: [Google]
Daisy-as-Rey.jpg
656 KB, 2040x1360
TFA: RAGE edition

>tfw just downvoted every SJW comment :^)

http://www.reddit.com/r/starwars/comments/3xgg4f/_/
>>
>>63859185
>great pilot: the character
When the movie has to remind you 7 times what the character should be known for, the movie is probably written by a retard.
>>
>>63861225

That's because he was a plot coupon for most of the film, rather than a plot coupon for the first 20 minutes and having to earn his keep the rest of the time.

Once the First Order stopped looking for him, he was put in the background.
>>
>>63861193
>this year

it came out last year senpai
>>
The light saber battles felt like actual knights fighting rather than ninjas.

I really appreciated the heaviness of the swings as compared to the prequels.

It felt like knights fighting with broadswords rather than ninjas fighting with katanas which I thought was really cool.
>>
>>63861235
You're truly making a difference anon.

You totally don't come across as sad and pathetic.
>>
>>63861284
january 30th ww friendo
>>
>>63859185
The patronizing medic helping Chewie.
>>
>>63861274

Ah, good point. BB was cute, but that's about all he's got going for him.
>>
WHEN THE FUCKING X-WINGS COME IN LIKE A TIDAL WAVE HNNNNG BEST PART
>>
All the newbies were great. It's shocking how that worked out. And Kasden has a knack for making humor out of C-3PO being an annoying shit. I missed that.
>>
>>63861427
>All the newbies were great

I agree, after coming off of all the shit new characters the prequels gave us, actually liking every new character (even though I have misgivings about Rey and Kylo) was a treat.
>>
>>63861418
>mfw
>>
>>63861427

Honestly I really hope the next movies focus more on the new guys more exclusively. It was cool seeing Han being a salty old man, but I feel that Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo Ren are all likeable or well-rounded enough characters to drive development arcs and keep the plot going on their own.
>>
>>63859490
The fight between kylo and Finn, Rey was shit and you know it. They just flailed at each other like children. Kylo should have over skilled both of them. Trained Jedi and sith are expected to have elegant and acrobatic combat styles.
>>
>>63861427
Oh man, within five seconds of Threepio popping onto the screen I remembered how incredibly fucking annoying he is. It was a huge nostalgia rush.
>>
>>63861498
>trained sith
the guy just killed his father, was hit in the gut by a bolt that could one shot stormtroopers, is young, emotional and not fully trained yet while his base is getting blown up around him

he also wrecked Finn in seconds and was constantly pursuing Rey to the point where throughout almost the entire fight she was trying to get away from him
>>
>>63861067
No 4-6 looked fucking stupid. 1-3 were too over the top.
>>
>>63861498

>Trained Jedi and sith are expected to have elegant and acrobatic combat styles.

And it looks retarded when you go overboard. I don't have the gif of Anakin and Obi Wan swinging at air, but too much flair puts a damper on the combat.

The simplicity of two people actually trying to hit THE PERSON rather than THE BLADE was refreshing as fuck.
>>
>>63859490

>I also am beyond happy that we've returned to lightsaber duels that feel weighty and like the characters are actually fighting for their lives.

This x10
>>
>>63861357
I work in health care, nurses talk like this. They are trained to pretend they care about you
>>
>>63861555

That's why I said 4-6 AT THEIR BEST.

Like, the lightsaber battle between Vader and Luke in ESB.
>>
>>63861498
nah man it was pretty cool. or you can by all means go back and watch prequel shit. kylo was certainly more elegant, especially swinging his blade to put some momentum in his big strikes.
>>
>>63859185
>literally in the movie for 4 minutes
>is the best performance out of everyone
can he do no wrong?
>>
>>63861549
Yeah and he beat his injury to remind the audience that he's injured but for being Padawan of both Luke and the dark lord, he was severely plot sidelined. I let that slide because its gripes and you gotta suspend some belief but I'm just tried of people pretending the OT trilogy is the proper way to do fight scenes
>>
>>63861632

Why would you put momentum into a lightsaber?

What purpose does it serve?

The lightsaber will slice through what it touches whether you do a long sweeping arc, or just flick your wrist.
>>
>>63861565
Yes we all know. The entirety of the prequel fights weren't simple anakin and obi swinging their lightsabers in front of each other. I'd say that obi wan/ qui gon vs maul is easily the best light saber battle.

Go back and watch the OT and tell me obi wan and Darth Vader are trying to hit each other. Tell me kylo is trying to kill rey and Finn the way he does every nameless character before
>>
>>63861735
more force against the other person's lightsaber...
>>
>>63861427
isn't it weird how u can tell which parts were written by JJ and which ones were written by kasdan?
>>
>>63861735
goes back to the sabers being heavier like the OT.
>>
>>63861628
That was the only semi good fight. And Luke did acrobatics. Vader on the other hand looked like a slow robot
>>
>>63861632
Kylo did nice twirls and showed good mastery but when it came down to fighting, the plot just wouldn't allow him to employ his obvious better swords manship
>>
Kylo is /fa/ as fuck, though my fat ass could never pull that outfit off
>>
>>63861785

The OT was no better, I wasn't trying to imply it was.

>That shitty pirouette Obi Wan does in his fight with Vader in ANH

Light saber duels either lacked impact or were overly flashy. Light saber combat that's actually GOOD is worth praise.
>>
>>63861735

Why would you put momentum into a sword?

What purpose does it serve?

The sword will slice through what it touches whether you do a long sweeping arc, or you just flick your wrist?
>>
>>63861819

Shitty props and the Vader costume completely fucking the actor's vision will do that.
>>
The opening shot didn't have quite the mental implication of A New Hope, but a Star Destroyer blocking out a planet was quite the visual, and Kylo Ren's intro was awesome. The turn and freeze of a blaster shot was great, and when his ship was coming down you knew it was an "oh shit" moment.

Who was Max von Sydow? Some kind of acolyte of Luke?
>>
>>63860877
Yeah no fucking shit retard, no fucking shit. That's the thing about his character. Retard
>>
>>63861979
>The opening shot didn't have quite the mental implication of A New Hope, but a Star Destroyer blocking out a planet was quite the visual.

No kidding, I was expecting a big ass ship to come out into the shot, but I was NOT expecting that to happen and it was a really creative riff on the traditional opening.
>>
>>63859490
Agreed.

Fuck the hates TFA was great. I am going to see it again because I was sitting to close to the front and the 3D was to much.

I am not going to rank it against 456 yet, i still need to digest it a bit.
>>
>>63861890
And that TFA didn't really have that. Great lightsaber combat would be some middle ground between PT (especially obi wan, quii gon, and maul) and the OT grittiness (particularly ROTJ Luke vs Vader and TFA's homage style).
>>
>>63861939
It is what it is.
>>
>>63861875
>hoodies being /fa/

i don't think so champ
>>
>>63861916
except there is no momentum in a light saber swing. They are weightless.
>>
>>63862017

My initial impression is to put it on par with, or slightly above, Episode IV. It doesn't have the same emotional weight behind its dramatic scenes as V or VI yet because the most important protagonists haven't gotten the time to develop like Luke, Leia and Han did over the trilogy.
>>
>>63859185
I liked /pol/ getting BTFO.
>>
>>63862098

It's a product of its time is all I'm saying. It doesn't hold up, I agree.
>>
>>63859185
For all the complaining I heard about Rey beforehand, I didn't see a problem with her.
And I don't think she's a Mary Sue either.
>>
>>63859185
They should have made him the main character tbqh family.
>>
>>63862439
Nah, Finn was better.
>>
>>63859467
you earned this upvote
>>
>>63861489
Fisher and Ford were literally noticeably the worst actors in the movie, which is funny.
>>
>>63859467
General Hux is the other guy, too
>>
>>63862768
It's a fanservice callback to Return of the Jedi where they were the worst actors there too.
>>
>>63861851
its because he was shot
>>
File: 0047 - i50AZzg.png (32 KB, 381x339) Image search: [Google]
0047 - i50AZzg.png
32 KB, 381x339
TR8 TOR is best guy.

I need a side story with him and his Stormtrooper crew like an 08th MS Team or something.
>>
I like him but his character is kind of a cardboard cutout.

Hopefully he gets more screentime.
>>
>>63862768

Fisher was boring but I genuinely loved Ford portraying a Han Solo that is above all else, entirely too old for this shit.
>>
>we'll do it somehow...we'll use the force!

>[bewildered look] that's not how it works at all
>>
A love triangle between Finn, Poe, and Rey in the next film would be fun to watch
>>
>>63863510

*Cackles gleefully*

*Bursts into applause*
>>
>>63863526

With Finn and Rey both going after Poe, I hope.
>>
>>63859185
Poe going hard as fuck in his X-Wing and chain killing TIE fighters as Finn watched from the ground was great.

Poe is the GOAT pilot.
>>
>>63862768
Ford was OK.
Fisher was terrible, she played like it was some 80s tv show.
Its a shame she didnt die instead of han.
But i guess you cannot kill strong woman characters anymore.
>>
>>63859185
His eyes are not remotely symmetrical. Somehow this makes him even more attractive.

What a based mofugga
>>
>>63861979
>s Max von Sydow? Some kind of acolyte of Luke?
I took him to be a surviving Alderan general.
>>
Do you guys think Rey is a virgin? There weren't any Chads on Jakku, just dusty impoverished sand-men who didn't have any money.

Maybe she fucked some wealthy or high-status off-worlders who came to visit or something.
>>
>>63863630
Probably traded it for rations.
>>
>>63863630
probably fucked that alien behind the scavenger redemption station for an extra 1/2 of a meal
>>
>>63863668
I wanna see some rule 34 of this shit
>>
>>63863668
>>63863659

But the whole point of her character is that's she's a flawless strong independent woman who needs no man? She earns her rations with her hard work and cunning, not her cunny.
>>
File: Untitled.png (216 KB, 424x365) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
216 KB, 424x365
>>63863630
>virgin
>>
>>63863608
Ford was great, and looked like he was having fun, probably because he finally got his wish to kill Han.

Fisher was a fucking trainwreck, holy god damn shit.
>>
>>63859185
>be at theater watching TFA
> a bunch of fat, balding neckbeards sitting in front of me
> won't shut the fuck up
> I shush them, they say "oh im sorry"
> all of a sudden, Oscar Issac
> been in a closted homo crush with Issac since Inside Lewynn Davis
> I want to be inside Oscar Issac
> start masturbating furiously
> neckbeards to enthralled with lens flare
> one is bald, his head kinda looks like an ass
> a real man's ass
> an ass that could only beling to Oscar Issac
> start singing folk songs while I cum buckets all over the neckebeards head
> neckbeard turns around and is like "hey man, wtf"
> I say
It was my privledge
>>
>>63859901
What the fuck is that?
>>
Probably the first Star Wars movie that was driven mainly by performances. Ridley was just okay, but Boyega, Issac, Gleeson and Driver all knocked it out of the park, and Ford looked more present than he's been in decades.
>>
>>63864040
I don't know, but it gave me a total boner
>>
>>63864040
Typical Australian shitposting
>>
>>63859901
This is some weird fucking shit. Source?
>>
>>63863630

she got gang raped every day, that's why she had to learn to defend herself with that staff and why she'll turn to the dark side in the next movie

>that's [whatever his name was], he doesn't have any respect for anyone else

that little manlet had even had a go
>>
>>63861329
December 31st, 2014 actually

Don't be a wide release pleb. Those are almost as bad as festival release plebs.
>>
Chewie and Han were probably the best actors in the entire film. Everyone else either said too little and were just there too stand around and look good, just like Rei
>>
>>63863659
this is why she didn't want Finn to hold her hand, hand holding costs at least half a ration.
>>
>>63861785
dude are you serious? during that fight they do fucking ridiculously impractical dance moves and spins and crap like that, in what world of sword fighting is that viable?

the series should just stick to fencing.
>>
>>63859185
he was great tßh
>>
>>63859185

Why did he leave Jakku without finding the droid?
>>
>>63864358
let the nigger and the woman do it, show up 3/4 later
>>
>>63859185
BB8 was cute... and thats it.
>>
>>63864372

It doesn't fit his character at all. He went to Jakku solely to find the droid and because the ship blows up he gives up and gets the next ticket out of there? I just didn't get it
>>
>>63862307
she's the fucking definition of mary sue.

She virtually defeats a trained sith in her first lightsaber duel.

Fucking Luke was the greatest Jedi ever and even he had to spend years practicing. Rey is a Mary Sue because Lucas is pandering to SJWs. That's fucking it.

The only morsel of information about Rey is that her parents were taken/killed by the Empire/1st Order. And all she did was follow some halucinations to an unlocked closet and found a lightsaber that belonged to the most notorious Jedi in history, and for some unknown reason a fucking alien that works at the cantina happened to have it.

Complete trash writing. Rey is as much as a defined character as a fucking toaster. You put bread in a fucking toaster, toast comes out. Rey is the proverbial bread in this trilogy, except we didn't even get the privelege of seeing her character develop.

If this is how the last two movies are going to be then american cinema is fucking doomed.
>>
>>63864358

probably found out about the attack on that trading post and figured he was either blown up or captured by the enemy
>>
>>63864358
because the Millenium falcon fucking whooped his ass
>>
>>63864441

stop right there shitlord, Kylo had taken a powerful blaster to the stomach so of course he was not fighting at full ability
>>
>>63864441
Who cares. Oscar Issac is hot a fuark
>>
Rey had some delicious armpit shots
>>
>>63864441
I saw a theory on here that Rey was one of the children trained in Luke's academy before Kylo Ren betrayed them all, and that she had her memories altered but that they came back to her when she found Luke's lightsaber. I'm not entirely convinced it's going to turn out that way, but it's plausible.
>>
File: 1444773992937.jpg (179 KB, 1024x708) Image search: [Google]
1444773992937.jpg
179 KB, 1024x708
the banter was great af

also the "GUARDS!" scene
>>
>>63860877

4chan contrarians hating characters that remind them of themselves.
>>
>>63859185
QT asian X-wing pilot for me.
>>
>>63859185
>Ren is excellently-written
>Finn wasn't at all as bad as people expected
>bro-tier relationship between Poe and Finn
>rivalry between Ren and Hux
>Stormtroopers have personality
>>
>>63859234
>main character

but he isn't
>>
>>63861498
>Trained Jedi and sith are expected to have elegant and acrobatic combat styles.

This really only came to exist with the prequels, so it's understandable that they'd move away from it. I know it's not cool to enjoy RLM's reviews of these movies anymore, but one of them makes a really cogent point about the fights in the OT being more captivating because of tension in the story rather than "dazzling" fight choreography like the prequels offer. I think the fight at the end of this movie had more emotional undercurrent and showed us more about the characters than the flashy fights in the prequels did.
>>
>>63866213
>>bro-tier relationship between Poe and Finn
if they had homo-sex later on down the road, that would be sooo hot.
>>
>>63864441
>Luke was the greatest Jedi ever
That doesn't really work when the prequels exist.
A fucking youngling could wreck RotJ Luke.
>>
>>63859185
THAT'S ONE HELL OF A PILOT
>>
File: wot m8.jpg (6 KB, 267x323) Image search: [Google]
wot m8.jpg
6 KB, 267x323
>>63863980
>63861979
>>
>>63868566
Because Oscar Isaac is likable as fuck in every movie he's in.
>>
>>63859185
The Resistance Theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3KMfBQWRVs
>>
Hux was great. So much scenery chewing.
>>
>>63859185
Odda the Younger from The Last Kingdom was this space Irish gangster.

The space Irish and space Asians were a riot.
>>
>>63861247
Have you ever actually met a combat pilot? A big part of their personality is the bravado of being a pilot. See: Top Gun
>>
>>63861979
I was hoping Max was Kanan Jarrus, from SW: Rebels, but I think he was just another Rebel from the Galactic Civil War days, who knew the Solo/Skywalker/Organa family
>>
>>63864955
It's true it's not a theory.

Luke and leia was separated for the same reason. Rey was separated to protect her from Kylo.

Even if she wasn't at a academy, she is still Kylo's sister because fuckall they made her and Ford seem obviously alike.
>>
Captain Phasma. Sure she didn't do shit, but I found her to be pretty cute.
>>
>stormtroopers actually hit someone in the first scenes
>>
>>63859185
Him and Boyega made the movie for me. I hope to god the next movie has more scenes of them doing hero shit while miss perfect learns about the force from her dad.

Oh yeah I liked how my homeboys from The Raid showed up in a cameo. That was cool
>>
>>63872535
Oscar and Boyega partner detectives in sequel when?
>>
>>63865096
the only scene that made me laugh.
the other jokes we're okay though, better than Marvel banter.
>>
I asolutely loved Poe and hated how little screen time he got. He was just like a positive, friendly guy, you know? Like a genuinely good person and pilot.
>>
>>63861274
>>63861274
he had the fucking map for finding Luke how is not that important you dumbfucks
>>
>>63859855
>>He didn't even do anything really
>Made sure the fragment didn't get to the 1st order
>Didn't spill out when interrogated until he was literally forced to tell
>Escaped with Finn
>Fucking destroys half the tie fighters put against him when flying an xwing
>Finished the job of destroying the starkiller with ridiculous piloting finesse
>>
>>63872934
He also always wanted to fly a TIE Fighter so you know that he has top tier taste.
>>
>>63872688
>>
>>63859185
Its a shame we got so little with him. I loved every scene with him in it. He also had really good chemistry with Finn so I am hoping we got more of that in the next film.
>>
File: homosex when.jpg (31 KB, 615x377) Image search: [Google]
homosex when.jpg
31 KB, 615x377
>What about your jacket, man?
>No, no. You keep it, you look good with it on.

>tfw no bff moe Poe to go on space adventures with
>>
>>63874331
Never
>>
File: 1447866600776.jpg (24 KB, 231x231) Image search: [Google]
1447866600776.jpg
24 KB, 231x231
>>63859185
I enjoyed how it was used as a media distraction to cover for the US being stripped of the fourth amendment.
>>
File: 1369618115498.gif (1009 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
1369618115498.gif
1009 KB, 500x280
>Poe will never be you wingman
>>
>>63859431
Same, the Luke-Han friendship they showed every now and again was one of the things I liked most
>>
>>63860877
>He was a man child pussy
It reverberated well with /pol/ kek
>>
>>63859185
BB-8, bants, Poe, lightsaber duels, an actual Anakin Skywalker
>>
>>63874794
Patriot act killed that a long time ago
Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.