[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could someone give me a primer on how Star Wars politics stand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 18
File: firstorder.jpg (96 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
firstorder.jpg
96 KB, 1280x720
Could someone give me a primer on how Star Wars politics stand now? How do the First Order, the Republic, and the Resistance fit together? How much power and influence does each have?

What about after the Republic capitol is destroyed?
>>
Republic is like Europe, First Order Russia and Resistance people from all around Europe who're fed up with Russias shit and want to put and end to it before anything even happens
>>
>>63855423
>New Republic formed after battle of Endor
>First Order forms from the remnants of the Empire
>New Republic doesn't see them as a threat so they leave them alone
>Leia sees them as a threat so she forms the Resistance to fight them
>New Republic supports the resistance under the table
>First Order gets revenge by glassing the Capital and declaring war on New Republic

that's it so far I think
>>
>>63855423
Empire was fractured after the OT, recently the pieces have banded together under the first order. Republic was re-established after OT as New Republic, and the Resitence continued to operate as it's own organization taking down the remaining empire fragments.
>>
Are the First Order and the Republic supposed to be comparable powers? Or is one much more influential than the other?
>>
>>63855551
>build deathstar 3.0
>lol theyre not a threat
>>
>>63855683
yeah well they paid the price for being retarded
>>
>>63855683
They didn't know the details of what that was before it was too late.
>>
>>63855715
It was a planet sized cannon

doesn't take a genius to figure out what the fuck it does

not to mention them casually sucking a sun. I'd get pretty worried at that point
>>
>>63855423

First Order is the Empire remnants
Resistance is fighting the 1st Order, presumably as a proxy for the Republic.
Republic was the new democratic government that was blown up by Starkiller base. So now it doesn't matter I guess?
>>
>>63855765
they built it in the unknown regions or some shit, they really should have explained things better in the movie
>>
>>63855765
The starkiller was almost certainly a project started by the Empire and picked up by the FO and mostly likely situated deep in some unknown region behind imperial space
>>
>>63855794

>unknown regions

Couldn't they just call it uncharted space?
>>
>>63855864
that's just what it's always been called in the EU for years and TCW made it canon
>>
How do you aim with a planet?
>>
>>63855979
You wait for it to rotate.
>>
>>63855979
you wait for the orbit to align
>>
>>63855979

Match orbital rotation, I suppose.
>>
>>63855864
Unknown Regions are specifically uncharted space within the galaxy far, far away
>>
Did starkiller base's weapon use hyperspace or are we just supposed to suspend disbelief with how fast it reached the Republic capital from out in space?
>>
>Finn has worked on Starkiller Base
>Finn escapes from First Order

>Finn's first inclination as soon as he has contact with the Resistance is to is not to warn them about Starkiller Base
>>
>>63856072
Relativity and other distance/speed effects relevant in space travel never really seemed to apply to Star Wars
>>
>>63855423
just how many planets are still under the control of the former empire aka the first order? surely not Coruscant, they openly celebrated when the second death star got destroyed in RotJ, thanks to Lucas' unnecessary bonus scenes in the "newer" cuts of the old movies.
>>
>>63856074

He was kinda busy trying not to die. And fuck Rey.
>>
>>63856139
but there has to be an autistic EU explanation for it like there is for everything else
>>
>>63855683
The New Republic is just effective as prequel Republic.
>>
>>63856182
I always liked to think that in the Star Wars universe, light is just much, much faster than it is here. So even distances on a galaxy scale weren't really relativistic, and "making the jump to lightspeed" could get you anywhere you needed to go in the galaxy in a short period of time. I doubt that's how it works in the EU, but I've been pretty satisfied with it
>>
>>63856146
The dude fucking sucks at his job, then.
>>
>>63856431
That was sort of the point
>>
>>63856368
It took 4 days to get from tatooine to alderaan
>>
The First Order is the remnant of the Empire
The Republic is what came after the victory at endor 30 years previously
The Resistance are republican funded terrorists and traitors
>>
>>63856368
>"making the jump to lightspeed" could get you anywhere you needed to go in the galaxy in a short period of time.

didn't it take them days, or at least hours to get to the remains of Alderaan from Tatooine with the Falcon in "a new hope"?
boy, they surely upgraded that technology in this movie, didn't they?
>>
>>63856537
Is took your mom 4 days to pass you
>>
>>63855861
How the fuck can there be unknown regions when they can literally warp out of the galaxy like at the end of ESB?
>>
>>63856537
>>63856579
Starkiller Base moves, doesn't it? Who's to say it wasn't pretty close to the Republic capitol by the end of the movie?
>>
>Prequels
>New Republic is composed of thousands of systems, with thousands more opposing them as the separatists

>OT
>Empire has absorbed all of the planets in the galaxy except for a handful of outer rim planets

>New trilogy
>New Republic is composed of 5 planets. First Order are shown to just be scraps from the Empire

This legitimately triggers me. So what the fuck happened to those thousands of systems, and hundreds of millions of soldiers fighting for either side?

>OT
>Imperial Navy are literally just paid personnel who wanted a job
>Sheev and Empire fell, what the fuck happened to these people?
>What the fuck happened to the thousands of warships that would have been under New Republic rule? They were all in dry dock in these 5 planets when they were blown up?

I really hate the new lore. It's so dumbed down and casual.
>>
>>63856690
they can literally see the beam moving across the sky on a planet lightyears away
>>
>>63856681
I think hyperspace is really dangerous to use if you don't know exactly what's between you and your destination; otherwise, you run into shit and die. I think that's what astromech droids like R2 are for-- doing the calculations that allow you to utilize Hyperspace. Getting to somewhere outside of the Galaxy would be relatively easy, because there isn't anything in your way. Inside the galaxy, though, you can only really travel to places that other people have mapped with sublight travel. The Unknown Regions are places that haven't been extensively mapped yet.
>>
>>63856681
because you can only warp into sectors which can still be HUGE but you can't travel at anything close to lightspeed to explorer
>>
>>63855683
Apparently the sun was only good for two fucking shots, so it's a pretty worthless weapon.
>>
>>63856738
Well that's my point, maybe light is really fast and that planet is just lightseconds away. It doesn't actually make any sense no matter how you look at it, but that's not new for star wars. This is just my headcanon.
>>
>>63856817
Makes sense.
>>
>>63856709
I think those planets that were destroyed were merely the capitol of the Republic, which represents many more worlds
>>
>>63856830
Then it moves to another system and eats that sun.
>>
>>63855423
despite being a small force of disgruntled Empire troops they can build a third Death Star that is not only complete and functional, but also like a hundred times the size of the last one that had direct funding.

just don't think too hard about it. there had to be a death star so it was there, if you start trying to figure out how the FUCK normal humans would even begin to build a sun-powered planetcracker that makes the last 2 Death Stars look like small-time, you'll just hit a dead end
>>
>>63857027
Sheev was all about superweapons, so I like to think it was an R&D project already in progress at the end of the OT, and it took 30 years to finish with the empire shattered. They didn't really have to build the whole thing anyway-- most of the structure is an existing planet.
>>
>>63857027
they just built a giant cannon into a planet, they didn't really completely build it like the Deathstar
>>
>>63856709
DONT OVERTHINK IT! IT'S A FUN MOVIE XD
>>
>>63856709
>Abrams had to pull the new republic homeworld out of his ass so the fans wouldn't eat him alive for destroying a whole planet they actually cared about.

seriously, it took probably about 2 minutes inbetween that planet being introduced to us, to it being completely obliterated with the rest of the system.
that's not how emotional impact works, Abrams!
>>
>>63857112
So, just like Alderaan?
>>
>>63855423

>All these people saying Starkiller blew up the New Republics capital

I thought the capital was Coruscant?
>>
File: 232666.png (153 KB, 220x299) Image search: [Google]
232666.png
153 KB, 220x299
Nobody really knows. Why?

A common prequel complaint I never bought into was the 'confusing" politics. People derailed it and JJ took it to heart, having 0 politics in this movie. Instead, he just figured the audience could get it on their own.
And that's fine and dandy, but in Episode 4 (which TFA is ultimately just a remake of) it was clear there was a big evil empire and a noble rebellion. THat wasn't the case here, which had a far more complicated political situation. But JJ, in insistence for his passive aggressive prequel hate, still didn't allow any explanation as to what was going on for fears that Plinkett would make a parody video of him snooring to "trade disputes".
The result was the only confusing star wars movie. The prequel stuff never confused me, even at 10 years old when I first saw TPM. But I had zero idea of what was going on here. What is the resistance and its relation to the Republic? What is the relationship between the First Order and Empire? Where is the New Republic Based? What were those planets Death Star 3 blew up? Why are notable rebel leaders such as Ackbar and Leia not involved with the republic anymore? Why isn't the Republic fighting the First Order? Why is the First Order called the First Order and not the Empire/Imperial Remnant? What's the status of Courascant?
The most common "explanation" is that the Republic pussied out and is content to let the empire hold territories at the edge of space, but is supporting an anti-imperial resistance in these areas. That'd make sense in the context of the movie, but it's just headcanon that fans have used to explain the lack of explanation JJ had.
As for the space battle at the ending being X-Wings vs TIE's and nothing else, this was a carbon copy of episode 4 and episode 4 didn't have any capital ships. Moreover "big space battles" is something people associate with the prequels, like Courascant (which abrams left out for some reason).
>>
>>63856709
I was really annoyed that the final battle had maybe 50 fighters altogether.
Where were the star destroyers or alliance command ships?
There weren't any tie bombers or b-wings or anything either.
>>
>>63857112
would people really have been pissed if it was coruscant?
I think that would have been neat
>>
>>63857147
I doubt Courscant will be in the new trilogy, people associate it with the prequels. Abrams certainly wouldn't have included it with this reason.

So they invented another space-capital, which the First Order blew up
>>
>>63857156
>The prequels were never confusing

Nigga I still don't really understand how the Clone Army got started. All of the Sifo-Diyas stuff fizzled into nothing.
>>
>>63857160
Silly fanboy, people only remember X-Wings and TIE fighters so that's all Abrams put in!
>>
>>63857112
>Tfw never even heard of the planets they mentioned, not even in the novels or any Star Wars strategy games

Should have made Naboo the new seat of the Republic. You'd care just enough to have an impact when seeing it destroyed, but wouldn't drop the entire new lore like if they destroyed Coruscant.

>Tfw watching it and I actually thought it was supposed to be Coruscant when you see it's a giant city planet
>Felt my blood pressure rise through my fucking eyes in anger
>Mate next to me sees my autism and just says "it's not Coruscant, don't worry"
>>
>>63857224
It was obviously Dooku acting as Sifo-Diyas, Jango Fett even says he was commissioned by "Tyrranus"
>>
>>63857142
Leia cared about Alderaan. Nobody even mentions the destruction of Capitol Planet after the fact, and it was apparently super important to the survival of the Resistance, unlike Alderaan to the Rebels.
>>
>>63857105
>>63857092
both previous death stars could comfortably fit into the barrel of the cannon, the size comparison was fuckin crazy
>>
>>63857279
not at all, on the hologram is was maybe 1/3 the size
does anyone have any screens of it?
>>
>>63857266
The canon explanation involves a real Jedi Master named Sifo-Dyas who wanted to build a clone army with a lot of information that never made it into the movie. It really feels like they just dropped that thread halfway through Attack of the Clones
>>
>>63857166
>Literally the only interesting planet ever shown in any Star Wars movie
>99% of the lore and books are based on shit from that planet
>"Let's destroy it :)"
>>
>>63857224
>After Naboo crisis the well-meaning Sifo-Diyas is manipulated by fellow Jedi Master Dooku into ordering the creation of a Clone Army on Kamino, an advanced but isolated planet. Dooku is working on orders of Palpatine in the movies, Plaugeis in the old EU. The army is funded by Palpatine, Dooku, and Plauegis who are all obscenely rich.
>order for clone army goes through, Dooku kills Sifo-Diyas and covers up the whole incident before leaving the Jedi Order

You can say that it is silly but it makes sense and is all explained
>>
>>63857397
Not in the movie, though. Much of that explanation, which is boiled down to its simplest elements, is EU.
>>
Why does Darth Vader's helmet still exist?
It was on the death star when it blew up. It would have been incinerated.
>>
>>63857480
No, Luke brought it to Endor and burned it
>>
>>63856072
Yes, the rebels I mean 'resistance' said that it was a hyperspace weapon. I don't know how they could fucking see it if that was the case, but who cares about continuity anyway?
>>
>>63857510
I thought he only brought Darth Vader's body, which had already had the helmet removed.
>>
>>63857480
Embarrassing.
>>
>>63857266
That's how I understood it.

Please tell me Dooku = Sifo Dias and them being seperate people is just EU autists missing subtle hints
>>
File: 6auoHdz.jpg (144 KB, 1918x816) Image search: [Google]
6auoHdz.jpg
144 KB, 1918x816
>>63857480
why the fuck has everyone forgotten this scene already?
>>
>>63857142
at least with Alderaan we knew it was a planet Leia had a personal connection with, even if we only got told about that minutes before that.
literally nobody we knew or cared about died on that planet.

>>63857215
>>63857255
wasn't Coruscant one of those planets that had planetary shields in place, even way before the clone wars? I doubt whatever Starkiller Base had fired upon them would've made it all the way through.
>>
File: pyre01.jpg (34 KB, 720x330) Image search: [Google]
pyre01.jpg
34 KB, 720x330
>>63857541
>>
>>63857565
Sifo Dyas is a real Jedi in the movie; Obi Wan mentions he's been dead for a while, but the timeline still fits so that he was the guy talking to Kamino
>>
>>63857147
I think you mean Darth Insanius, anon
>>
>>63857581
Alderaan had shields too, and the Death Star blew it up. Starkiller Base shot half a star.
>>
>>63857674
I though it was just Dooku faking his death so he could run off and become a sith and count Dooku was a alias.
>>
>>63857719
No, everyone in the Jedi Order knew who Dooku was and remembered him as a Jedi who left the order. They just didn't believe he could be a Sith.
>>
>>63857572
>>63857627
Thanks famtachi. Looks like my memory was just off.
>>
>>63857381
>bespin
>not interesting
>>
>>63857266
seriously the complete avoidance of anything related to the prequels causes a lot of problems making movies in the future, yes they were bad but people aren't going to stop watching your movie because you bring back coruscant or mention a form of government. not /tv/ related but this is why the new battlefront is shit too, it has so little content when the older ones had tons because they used prequel locations and units and vehicles to beef up the game.
>>
>>63857987
DLC era. They'll give you that shit when you fork over the shekels, goyim.
>>
>>63858017
"So this is how gaming dies, not with a whimper but with the thunderous roar of accumulating shekels." - Wookie Lord Padme Palpatine.
>>
>>63857215
It might not be in the movies, but I'm pretty sure we'll see it at some point in the near future. It's basically the Star Wars galaxy's New York City.
>>
>>63855423
glib facsimile, First Order = Empire, Republic = only there to appease people who give a damn about the story and resistance = rebels
>>
>>63857757
>tfw weakest Sith character, yet still the classiest motherfucker you'll ever meet in the SW universe
>gets killed in the same movie that gave us the first official sith emo bitch
>now followed by 2015 version of semi-sith emo bitch
>tfw this is supposed to be the legacy of the ancient Sith order

somebody may want to check in on the tombs of Korriban. I think whatever was left of the old Sith lords is now rotating in their graves.
>>
>>63858242
>turnn on Revan's holocron
>he's just spinning
>>
>>63858242
>Korriban
why the fuck did they change the name in TCW?
>>
>>63858389
Because Lucas wanted it changed, and we all know how good Lucas is at coming up with good Star Wars names.
>>
>>63858242

that last line, I'm dying
>>
>>63858242

>So this is Darth Bane's legacy...

What did The Star Wars mean by this?
>>
>>63858467
TELL ME ABOUT A SHITTONNE OF SITH LORDS, WHY DID THEY WEAR THE MASKS?
>>
>>63858418
>Because Lucas wanted it changed
for what purpose?
>>
>>63855979
You no-scope 360 you fucking hardscoping noob
>>
>>63858389
I don't remember the Sith homeworld being mentioned in TCW. What did they change the name to? I thought it was always Korriban?
>>
>>63858766
they changed it to Moraband
>>
File: 05blofeld_zps1974ad62.jpg (9 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
05blofeld_zps1974ad62.jpg
9 KB, 320x240
>yfw Mon Mothma and Admiral Ackbar are probably dead in-universe
>>
>>63858891
Ackbar was in the resistance
>>
>>63858891
Was that not Ackbar in the resistance base with Leia?
>>
>>63858904
>>63858917

Or another of his species.
>>
>>63858904
>>63858917
That was obviously his son. You can tell because the jawline was different. : ^)
>>
>>63858904
>>63858917
There's no way that was Ackbar
>>
>>63859005
He's in the credits. Admiral Ackbar and Nien Nub are still in the Resistance
>>
>>63858904
>>63858917
I was genuinely surprised he never said "It's a trap!" then turned and winked at the camera with one of his giant fish eyes.
>>
>>63859080

I saw Nien in there. Tiny little Sullustian dude.
>>
>>63859096
I was expecting his only line in the movie to be a subdued "It might be a trap..."
>>
>>63858917
I thought it was.

I swear that as I was walking out of the theatre, I saw
>Admiral Ackbar
in the credits.
>>
>>63858891
talking about old guys in the resistance, did we ever get the name of that old fart Kylo Ren slaughtered at the very beginning of the movie? and why did he seem to know literally everything about him?
>>
>>63859148
Lor San Tekka. He's a part of a cult that worships the Force and highly respects Luke and Leia.
>>
>>63859148
That's a story for another time senpai :^)
>>
>>63859148

Kyle Katarn?
>>
>>63858797
Moraband? Seriously? When was this mentioned? THat name is kinda dumb.
>>
>>63859184
is that common knowledge? did I miss a part of the movie somehow?

>>63859195
don't even joke about that. He deserves so much better. as did Han.
>>
>>63859317
Yoda calls Moraband the Sith homeworld and he literally lands in the valley of the dark lords from KOTOR

this was all in TCW by the way
>>
>>63859354
It's part of the visual dictionary that was released the same day as the film. I haven't read it yet, but it's making its way onto Wookiepedia. I looked him up yesterday because I love Sydow.
>>
>>63857441
No, It's pretty clear Dooku+Sheev were responsible for the creation of the clone army in the movie, and it can be assumed that Plaugeis was behind Sheev unless he had killed him already.
>>
>>63859354

Kyle is Rey's dad.

Screencap this for justice.
>>
>>63859362
I thought they changed it from Moraband to Korriban and then later went with a "it was just known by many names, okay?" explanation?
>>
>>63859454
nah the name Korriban is never mentioned in the new canon so for now it's just Moraband
>>
>>63859421
You can assume a general explanation for the creation of the clone army, but a real series of events is not forthcoming even though that's supposed to be the focus of Obi Wan's plotline in the movie. Everything would have been much less confusing if they never mentioned Master Sifo-Dyas.
>>
>>63859454

Moraband, Korriban, Weddingband, Alakazam, Whambamthankyamaam.
>>
>>63859484
I do remember Dave Filoni mentioning on Twitter that its name USED to be Korriban but it got changed at a later date.

He did this basically to cover his ass from his boss making yet another dumb decision that pissed the fanboys off.
>>
>>63859508
MIDICHLORIANS
>>
>>63859362
Must have missed that somehow. I only saw the movie never watched the show.
>>
>>63859626
it was in the last episode of the show I think
>>
>>63859626
Many of the episodes are much better than the movie
>>
>>63858242
>weakest sith
>not maul
Nigga what
>>
>>63855979
It has propulsion.
>>
>>63859096
Me too, but luckily the guy sitting in front of me did this for me! Along with numerous other epic quips
>>
>>63859674
Dooku was a master with the lightsaber.
>weakest sith
Sheev killed his master while he slept, i vote for that guy.
>>
>>63859931
idk, Sheev mastered the spin allowing him to always have the high ground.
>>
>>63859931
I dunno, Plagueis could resurrect people.
>>
>>63859968

Including himself? If not, the most useless power ever.
>>
>>63860008
Who knows, maybe he is alive and well?
>>
I think one way to explain the increasing power of the weapons is that we usually only see them when they are at or near completion.

It makes sense that, considering how large the galaxy is, the construction of such weapons are hidden and may only be detected when at or near completion.

Bigger weapons take longer to make, so thirty years doesn't sound unreasonable. Also, for all we know there could be even more powerful weapons currently in development that no one will hear about until later.
>>
>>63860036

>Plaguies decides to rename himself Snoke because Sheev couldn't keep his shit together.
>>
>>63860155
Sith name is never related to their real name.

Supreme Chancellor Palpatine = Darth Sidious
Supreme Leader Snoke = Darth Plagueis
>>
>>63855683
>Germany Builds massive army of panzer tanks
>Kills millions of people

>USA

LOL not a threat yet
>>
>>63855423
Caring about these questions is what gave us the Prequels.
Let go of your autism.
>>
>>63857581
Shields were for traditional bombardment.
>>
>>63860349
but not caring about them and letting them do whatever they want gave us the Star Wars Christmas Special.
>>
File: harrison-ford.jpg (51 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
harrison-ford.jpg
51 KB, 1000x666
>Vader's armor is made of Durasteel and Plasteel
>Both of which can withstand temperatures of over 1000 degrees
>His helmet somehow melted and warped in a bonfire

I said it once and I'll say it again, the new lore isn't for actual fans, it's for casuals who want LE EBIN IMAGERY.
>>
>>63860384
just like your mom.
>>
>>63857160
>All that hype for the new cruisers they'd have in there
>Promises of A wings and B wings, with crazy new Z wings and shit
>Entire movie is just shitty old X-wings fighting Tie Fighters

I guess all those Tie Advanced and Tie Interceptors just vanished? I mean shit, talk about dumbing the lore down.
>>
File: yourearetard.png (14 KB, 554x134) Image search: [Google]
yourearetard.png
14 KB, 554x134
>>63860476

here's your reply
>>
>>63860476
>the new lore isn't for actual fans
It's for fans, just not for autists.
>Vader's armor is made of Durasteel and Plasteel
That's EU bs.
>>
>>63860650
If there was more ships you'd be bitching about them trying to sell more toys.
>>
>>63855466

Chris Christie pls go to bed
>>
>>63855979
How do you get the energy to split at the exact moment to hit four separate planets?
>>
>>63856143
Didn't it say in the opening scrawl the first order are confined to the outer rim now? So basically no important planets
>>
>>63861290
Finn wants to escape to the outer rim to avoid th First Order, so no
>>
>>63857160
The last Star Destroyer was destroyed in the battle of Jakku.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Jakku
>>
>>63861398
What about the star destroyer in the first shot? Pretty sure Ren was even on board.
>>
File: 1443815426030.gif (979 KB, 400x316) Image search: [Google]
1443815426030.gif
979 KB, 400x316
>>63855423
>Star Wars politics as of post-Endor before TFA
"Shit dude we finally knocked over the Empire. Palpatine is still alive (sorta etc etc) and the Imperial Remnant/etc are still a thing, but we'll eventually grind them down and make peace.

>Star Wars politics as of now.
"Yeah we're the ones who toppled the Empire and re-established the Galactic Republic but we're actually just a little proxy shitbox space-IRA that barely has twenty X-Wings."

JJ "JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP" Abrams has done it again.
>>
>>63861471
Shit, I didn't watch the movie, I've just reading the wiki
>>
>>63861563
There was a single star destroyer in the entire movie.
No idea why the first order wouldn't make more considering how powerful they are. And "Couldn't afford it" isn't an excuse considering their giant death ray.
>>
>>63861665
They spent everything on the giant death ray.
>>
>>63861722
Who needs power projection when you can just destroy everything instead?
>>
>>63861665
Maybe they decided blowing up 5 planets at once was more important than star destroyers?

Just don't question it.
>>
>>63856830
Doesn't just destroy the planets it shoots. Without the star all the other planets in that system die too, they just don't explode.
>>
>>63861760
If you use the giant death ray, then yes, you can blow up 5 planets at once, but you lose the ability to rob those planets of resources and manpower. You can't be an empire if you have no subjects.
>>
I don't understand how they thought they could get away with not explain any of this. I mean, it's kind of important, right?

The stupid Death Planet destroys a bunch of planets that we've never seen before and we're supposed to care?
>>
>>63861917
It's power projection. You destroy 5 planets, 50 join you. Same principle as burning Carthage and salting the earth, or destroying the Bugger's home world. Destroy your enemies so completely that no one will even think of opposing you, then, just take what you want.
>>
>>63861954
You think people gave a fuck in 1977 when the Death Star blew up Alderaan? Jesus Christ this place is filled with autism.
>>
>>63862032

We got to see Leia's reaction to it and it was already introduced as Luke and Obi-wan's destination.
>>
>>63855683

>deathstar 3.0
>reich 3.0

POETRY
O
T
T
E
R
Y
>>
File: 1431470656308.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1431470656308.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Was the planet Starkiller base blew up Coruscant? I hope not. That would mean JJ destroyed a planet with so much potential to add in future films. Why does he have such a boner for destroying whole planets anyway?
>>
>>63862535
No, it was some other planet that nobody has ever heard of before.
Something-or-other prime.
>>
Here's my reasoned guess:

The New Republic, much like the Old Republic, considers a standing army very undesirable. After neutering the Empire enough that they retreated and started fighting among themselves (after the battle of Jakku) they disarmed the majority of their fleet and began nation building. Out of nowhere, the remnants of the Empire were united under a man named Snoke, and in order to stop the growth of something that wasn't ultimately an existential threat, but was worth fighting, the Republic sponsored a military force (that wasn't at the end of the day their own military, but did pull almost exclusively from their officers and men). Like Colonial Companies in the imperial age, or some other example that is probably better but I can't think of.
>>
>>63861510
>Palpatine is still alive
>>
>>63862614
Well thats good. They didnt really explain that point in the movie enough which is my only gripe about it. Here's hoping VIII has some scenes in the underbelly of Coruscant because I'd like to see it done right in the films.
>>
>>63855551
This, but with the slight addition that the New Republic and the First Order are in a state of war.

Ask me anything, I got some time. I enjoyed wrecking a whole thread of haters with their supposed plot holes that turned out all to be explained or implied in the movies,so go ahead.
>>
>>63855423
First Order = remnants of the empire, unified and strengthened by their leadership
Republic = liberated portions of the former empire
Resistance = ongoing armed resistance to imperial rule in territories controlled by the First Order, supported by the Republic
>>
>>63863036
Even better and more succinct.
>>
>>63861510
>little proxy shitbox space-IRA

SPACE FENIANS
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2353x1849) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2353x1849
Is it true that the Republic was allying with criminals as far back as ROTJ? What was the vetting process like?

I forget whether Dash Rendar was a mercenary convict or not.
>>
>>63863379

>space-IRA

So that means space-Troubles, which means space-Bono trying to get everyone to hug it out.
>>
>>63863421
What do you mean allying?

It's all politics. Huts for example ran their own sectors.
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48xdSG3Rhdg
>"George Lucas doesn't know about how politics works."

lol shocker
>>
File: image.jpg (144 KB, 800x434) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
144 KB, 800x434
>>63863454
Busting criminals out of prisons and working with nearly anyone. It seems like it would be easy to plant a few moles in that type of situation. I thought that might be how the Republic receded so quickly.
>>
>>63862997
I don't mind what they did but I felt like they mimic'd ANH way too much. I mean how many of these movies is there going to be a throw back to the Death Star getting turned inside out..

We had it in ANH, we had it in Ep 1, and now we have it in TFA
>>
>>63863602
Well, I would have to go to the not canon EU for that,not many examples in Disney canon.

But basically, in a Galaxy spanning political entity and 1 trillion people living on Coruscant alone... stuff like that would be normal and seep through the cracks.

The Republic was corrupted, but it fell mainly due to Palpatine working from the inside against it for hundreds of years. Basically Sheev-posting all day long from the inside.

>>63863667
True, but look at it as an introduction to Star Wars for a generation that never watched the OT. JJ played it safe and used the same ANH points basically.

Hopefully, we get unique stuff in 8 and 9.
>>
>>63863756
>Sheev-posting all day long from the inside.

lel
>>
Am I the only one who thought the Resistance theme music sounded more like something you'd hear in an Indiana Jones movie for when the Nazis showed up?
>>
>>63863820
I can't remember ANY of the music that wasn't an established theme from the OT.
>>
>>63863820
Yes! When the X-Wing were coming over the water.
>>
>>63863844
Here's the Resistance theme from the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfrCLcjvDbk

Here's a track from The Last Crusade. Nazi music starts around 0:50:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwhgmgTmbT4
>>
>>63863545
It sounds like the delegates are just stymied by political disinterest on their various planets. Democracy collapses during the prequels, but even by by the time of the OT, the Rebellion is just a tiny group on Bespin no one can find.

The Jedi represent an intergalactic trusteeship, and by democratic consent, are allowed to form a political intermediary group. This might be analogous to the origins of the Pythagoreans and Druids. They assign certain beliefs to maths, history, lore, spirituality, but they don't go off the deep end with it. They're there to teach and assist.

At some point these groups would have splintered off into a radical theocratic group known as the Sith. Apparently they believe many of the same things that the Jedi do, but they view history differently. They evidently aim to supplant the trusteeship of the Jedi, as well as the political power of the delegates. They must be stringing quite a few would-be tyrants from aristocratic families along (like Dooku).

Is that right? I haven't read the books, but it seems like what Lucas was hinting at.
>>
>>63864089
Weakest music of all movies.
>>
>>63857278

They did though. The first thing they call starkiller base is the superweapon that destroyed the Hosnian System
>>
>>63855979
How do you see the light from a projectile that's coming at you at FTL speeds?
>>
>>63864980
It was not coming at FTL speeds senpai. It traveled through hyperspace to its destination (which we don't see), but exited to real space before it hit (which we see).
>>
>>63865046
That whole series of events felt like they came up with it in an hour and decided to run with it
>>
>>63865066
It lacked exposition for some reason. Maybe Disney put its foot down with "think for the children!!! must not be too dark!!!"
>>
>>63855423
Abrams has said that he wanted the First Order to feel like what would happen if the Nazis met up in Argentina after WWII. While he nailed the Nazi part, it seems like rehashing ANH was a more important task. and he hates white people
>>
>Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens 2015 720p - LEGi0N
>Uploaded Today 10:44, Size 704.3 MiB,
>>
>>63862997
How did yellow yoda get her hands on Anakin's lightsaber when it feel into a gas giant in episode 4?
>>
>>63865808
It will be revealed in a novel is the current rumor.

I can give you a thousand plausible explanations.

There was a deep mining platform beneath Bespin station and it landed on one of its roofs/intakes/whatever.

There you go.
>>
File: bfg3[1].jpg (11 KB, 352x323) Image search: [Google]
bfg3[1].jpg
11 KB, 352x323
Um, guys?

Guys?
>>
File: 148373736242.gif (52 KB, 266x199) Image search: [Google]
148373736242.gif
52 KB, 266x199
Why am I hearing so little criticism about how The First Order are blatantly supposed to be the Third Reich? Is this what considered good writing these days? It's literally the biggest cop-out I've ever seen in my life, rather than making the audience dislike them based on their ideology and behaviour, you have to draw blatant comparisons with the Nazi's so that the dumb fucks in the audience know they're the bad guys. Fucking hell he even made the Stormtroopers seig heil, what was JJ thinking? I swear the reason he is popular among mass audiences is that he is so good at dumbing down concepts to their most digestible level. Forget villains having actual motivations and depth, they are just pure evil, here is a Nazi comparison to solidify that notion for you mouth-breathing fucks.

I swear if Snoke ends up taking his own life leaving the First Order to crumble under the order of Kylo Ren, I will probably end up taking my own life too.
>>
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 852x480
>>63866959
...???
>>
>>63866959

The Empire was always based off of the Nazis you mouthbreather. Their basic footsoldiers are called Stormtroopers for fucks sake.
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 200x228) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 200x228
>>63865912
>>
>>63866959
do you even star wars?
it's not even a jewish conspiracy that the empire was based off of nazi germamy
>>
>>63863756

I think episode 8 will have an easyier job, since it will ve a sequel to 7 while 7 was a sequel to a 30 year old classic that everyone puts on a pedestal and is impossible to replicate
>>
>>63855466
It's also prophetic because Russia will nuke Europe.

Putin is Kylo Ren. He wears Stalin's clothes and idolises him without understanding what he really stood for.
>>
>>63855423
the republic governs some systems, the empire govern some other, the resistance is from the planets the empire is governing, who the fuck cares about the specific details (like how many planets do they have each)
>>
File: 1450287228094.jpg (57 KB, 734x721) Image search: [Google]
1450287228094.jpg
57 KB, 734x721
>>63855466
>>63867615
>pic related
>you two
>>
>>63855551
thats just stupid.

They had the opportunity to make something different like change the roles (Republic rules the galaxy and the Empire being in the underground) but no they just made a rehash of Episode 4
>>
>>63861835
This is a good point actually.
>>
>The First Order is a fascist military power
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Order_%28Star_Wars%29

What did wikipedia mean by this?
>>
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 631x401) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 631x401
>>63867615
Russia's still part Euro, and it's not like they're mindless killers or anything... Right guys?
Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.