[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did this piece of shit spawn a global phenomenon? The only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: star-wars-one-sheet-style-a.jpg (451 KB, 1600x2281) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-one-sheet-style-a.jpg
451 KB, 1600x2281
How did this piece of shit spawn a global phenomenon? The only memorable part was Leia's titties.
>>
>>63855328

The same reason capeshit works

It spawned a memorable experience that had a larger than life feel and literally crafted the formula for blockbusters, simple story, digestable in a way that allows everyone to take something from it and visuals.

This is in an age before anything quite like it got put on the big screen
>>
File: Star Wars 00 Ad Concept.jpg (239 KB, 1239x1600) Image search: [Google]
Star Wars 00 Ad Concept.jpg
239 KB, 1239x1600
>>63855328
Appeals to nostalgia, even when it was on the first iteration
>>
>>63855328
Why does the new movie posters suck so much?
I mean floating heads? no one could come up with anything more creative?
>>
>>63855405
>This is in an age before anything quite like it got put on the big screen
But it doesn't have a larger than life feel.

>>63855473
Is this a real poster?
Maybe nostalgia is why I don't get it.
Empire Strikes Back is actually good, but ANH isn't.
>>
>>63857184
>but ANH isn't
Kill yourself.
>>
John Williams made this entire series

that's it, that's the thing you never realized

John Williams. You're watching that shit for him and never even knew it.
>>
File: 1444809560239.gif (3 MB, 333x250) Image search: [Google]
1444809560239.gif
3 MB, 333x250
>>63857184
>but ANH isn't
objectively incorrect.
>>
>>63855328
it was amazing, new, and original for its time.
It set a formula for other movies to follow
it was a family film that kids and adults could enjoy
started a trend that soon became culture
it became part of American culture which was soon to be exploited by marketers and make sure it becomes a staple in cinema history so they could keep making more money in each iteration
It's pretty interesting when you look at the history of its success as a franchise
>>
>>63855328
You must be 17
>>
>>63855328
Because "Dune" didn't have the marketing hype of toys behind it...
>>
>>63857208
>>63857264
Episode 4 is not good, the actors did a great job, but the writing was crap and their talent couldn't salvage that.
>>
Im 42. I can answer your question young padwan.

No one had EVER seen anything like it before. 2001 had the best effects prior. It was silly space opera but it looked amazing. I remember going to a matinee with my Dad in '79 for the rerelease and its basicly my oldest memory. People stood in line for hours (no preselling of tickets lol), or as they showed in the 70s show drove for hours to see Star Wars. Its was a cultural phenomenon the likes of which you will never know or understand.

That help?
>>
>>63855405
> gen y typing detected
> wasnt there, has no fucking clue
>>
>>63857417
So it became a cultural phenomenon because it looked good?
>>
Special effects pretty much made this movie what it was. It was the Avatar of its generation, everyone had to see it because it was the latest thing.

Then Empire Strikes Back came out and changed everything. Developed the characters, added a shit ton of depth to the story, and established the trilogy. At that point the Star Wars universe was set, and everyone was eating that shit up. Then came all of the advertisements, toys, and all of the other shit, and people just kept buying it because they were fascinated by the universe. I think in part because the movie described very little, but the EU described much much more, and there was this mysterious feel to the whole thing. Nerds grabbed on to it, and the movies were well made so normies liked it as well. The rest is history.
>>
>>63857547
not him but yes,
the music, the props, the atmosphere, the simple story. It was all something big and refreshing for the general audience of the 70s
>>
>>63857590
>>63857602
Alright, these are really good answers.
Thank you.
>>
>>63857417
This. There were lots of dumb little kids like grampa here who liked the funny bear and the lazer sword. Then they grew up an infantilized our culture.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.