[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So there's a fine line between a movie paying homage and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_nyfqxtOZX81ufh20so1_1280.jpg (55 KB, 1080x818) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nyfqxtOZX81ufh20so1_1280.jpg
55 KB, 1080x818
So there's a fine line between a movie paying homage and having callbacks, to just straight up ripping it off. I think The Force Awakens is firmly in the latter, and I fully expected it because of his hamfisted attempts at appeasing trekkies with reference fanservice.

Off the top of my head the "references" I can think of are: (cont)
>>
Star Wars has been doing callbacks and parallels since fucking Return of the Jedi. The prequel trilogy was full of it.
>>
Kylo Ren was an obvious pathetic attempt at creating another Vader. Black clothes, red sword, a mask? Seriously? Maybe if they spent a little less time counting their shekels and more coming up with original characters we wouldn't have these problems. You could tell they tried to make him seem powerful and intimidating but Driver just couldn't pull it off, is he even an actor? I could see clearly he was nervous and doubted himself, really bad performance
>>
>>63855215
does his sword burn the air? the fucking embers trigger my autism
>>
>opening shor using an unusual angle of an imperial ship to imply the tone of the state of the galaxy
>opening laser battle between rebbels and imperials
>droid has data that both sides want for war purposes
>protagonist grows up on desert planet in relatively meager surroundings
>adventure instigated by droid accidentally meeting the protagonist
>the falcon
>"14 parsecs"
>tractor beams disabling the ship
>hiding in the floor of the falcon when in the tractor beam
>leia leads the resistance
>have to visit a bar to secure transport
>protagonist inherits lightsabre of renowned jedi
(Cont)
>>
>>63855362

apparently not because he held it right next to her face/neck at one point.
>>
>>63855350
Are people serious about this. I am not even a star wars dick sucker, but for real, that was the point of the character. He's trying to force himself into a role that he does not want to do. Snoke is the controller here.

Hopefully we will see a more sinister Kylo in the sequel, as he is off to 'complete his training.'
>>
>>63855350
Kylo is supposed to be an insecure Vader expy. That's literally the point of his character - he abandons his light-side parents (Han and Leia) and turns to the dark side, but has doubts and is being set up to eventually be redeemed.
>>
Kylo Ren is obsessed with Darth Vader. He's also afraid he'll never be the way he was. That's why he's dressed the way he is.
>>
>>63855418
>war meetings
>deathstar destroys planets
>interrogations
>Kylo Ren's helmet being exactly the same as Vader, with the mask part different
>the trench run
>mentor character to the protagonist is murdered by the main antagonist
>in full view of the protagonist in a way where they can do nothing
>exploding deathstars
>protagonist seeks out next mentor character
>>
>>63855350
If you had actually watched the movie you would know that that's the whole point
>>
>>63855215
I thought this is what Star Wars is about?
>>
>>63855215
Eh, it was pretty similar to epIV but it wasn't terrible.

Jokes were bit refreshing and Finn wasn't as bad as I thought he would be. Trying to force another Darth Vader is a bad idea though. Would've liked some info on how kylo Ren went evil.
>>
The same issue that plagued J.J. Abrams' Star Trek films plagues this one: it feels less like a legitimate installment in the franchise and more like a generic action movie with a famous brand name slapped onto it. Plus, it's essentially a remake of the 1977 original, with many plot elements from it (along with The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi) recycled practically verbatim. None of the new characters stand out as particularly memorable or capable of carrying this new trilogy, the action is glossy with X-wing/TIE fighter battles that are headache-inducing to follow, the humor and references are forced, and even John Williams' score is basically wallpaper most of the time.

I set realistic expectations for myself. I knew that no movie could ever live up to 30+ years of waiting, so I spent the last year or so avoiding all the hype and excitement, and treated this like it was just any other movie. I was still disappointed. I wanted to like it and was hoping it'd be good, but instead it was just a really expensive and mediocre committee-film.
>>
>>63855215
>No one cared who I was until I put on the mask.
>>
>>63855847
I dont think its a bad movie, the only major flaw I can find is that it borrows so heavily from the prior installments. If you take it as its own self contained movie its a solid 8-9/10 action adventure movie.
>>
>>63856006
It is no different than the average post Cap: First Avenger Marvel movie as "self contained movie"
>>
>>63856006
>If you take it as its own self contained movie its a solid 8-9/10 action adventure movie.
your standards sure are low
>>
>>63855847

Star Wars is a generic action movie though, the purest form of the wishfullfillment "you're secretly special" heroes journey in western culture.
>>
How old are Kylo and Rey?
>>
>>63855350
>Black clothes, red sword, a mask?
>what's a sith
>what is star wars
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.