[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Holy shit, this film was fucking great and comfy as fuck. Opinions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: GBH.jpg (12 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
GBH.jpg
12 KB, 225x225
Holy shit, this film was fucking great and comfy as fuck. Opinions and other movies like it?
>>
>>63852156
it's good. check out some of the stuff that influenced it, such as Jean Renoir's The Grand Illusion and Rules of the Game
>>
>>63852156
Wes Anderson's movies are mostly like that. If you liked the framing in that, check some of Buster Keaton's stuff.

https://youtu.be/UWEjxkkB8Xs
>>
>>63852156
I liked it but I wish there weren't so many cameos. Edward Norton and Adrien Brody in particular just take me out of the movie.
>>
File: DaFoeck.gif (2 MB, 350x300) Image search: [Google]
DaFoeck.gif
2 MB, 350x300
>>63852281
>mfw Owen Wilson, Willem DaFoe, Jeff Goldblum, Adrian Brody, F Murray Abraham, Jude Law, and Bill Murray
>>
>>63852281
I like movies that are overloaded like that. Like "Hail Caesar" looks great.
>>
a film filmed on film by a film master with master film techniques.

cant get more patrician than that.
>>
>>63852156
pleb
you probably enjoy the movies of Wes Anderson
>>
File: cool_guy_zone.jpg (198 KB, 700x395) Image search: [Google]
cool_guy_zone.jpg
198 KB, 700x395
>>63852728
Does this mean I can call people plebs now?
>>
"I thought you said I was a faggot?"

"You are. But you're bisexual!"
>>
>>63852862
The skiing and lobby shoot out were great scenes.
>>
The most prevalent criticism of Wes Anderson's oeuvre is that he puts more effort into the his intricate dioramas than writing, plot, characters, etc. I don't find that to be an accurate criticism of his other movies, but it definitely fits here. All the sets are very ordered and detailed, to an absurd and frankly off-putting level. There's next to no character development in the movie; characters are whisked in and out before we get to know anything about them really. Kovacs has a cat and he's a lawyer. Agatha is a pastry-chef and has a Mexico-shaped birthmark. So what? Why should we care? The characters we do get any sort of real characterization of are either one-note baddies or one-note dandies (i.e. M. Gustave). Everyone is a complete caricature. It's almost funny that Anderson's two previous movies had much more rounded characters, and they starred animated foxes and children, respectively. The script is absolutely atrocious, flitting between sickening sentimentality and sudden-vulgarity-is-funny-right-guys?. It's also, tellingly, the first script written entirely by Anderson.

Perhaps most infuriating was Wes Anderson's use of emotional manipulation in the movie . He uses such things as the hotel being oppressed by the SS - sorry the "ZZ" - and Agatha being killed by the "Prussian grippe" as cheap methods of sympathy while also using them as stupid jokes. "ZZ" stands for "zig-zag," a joke that seems very characteristic of his sense of humour, but one that is totally inappropriate, especially given that the hotel isn't persecuted for any reason other than Nazis are mean and do bad things and are short-hand for bad guy. The tone-deaf preciousness is echoed in the "Prussian grippe" name; it's funny because the Spanish flu killed 50 million people? This sort of thing is practically unprecedented in Wes Anderson's movies, but then again there hasn't been one so hollow thus far so either.
>>
>>63852281
Cameos? Wouldnt you just call them cast? If anything, the other hotel cunts like Bill Murray and Owen Wilson were more cameos, even though they are also in the Wes Anderson group
>>
>>63852931
The infuriatingness of his quasi-ideology doesn't end there either. I found M. Gustave to be a pretty terrible character, and yet the movie doesn't really try to satirize him so much as it lionizes him as a noble spirit from a bygone age or some such bs. He talks about treasuring things like "civilization" and the way things are supposed to be and Romantic poetry and "purity" in women which just makes me want to throw up. It just kind of encapsulates all the shitty things about the way Wes Anderson thinks into one truly unlikeable character.

Honestly, this movie was so bad I'm having paranoid thoughts that I don't actually like the rest of his movies. Is The Royal Tenenbaums actually any good? If I rewatch Rushmore will it seem just as bad?

1/5
>>
>>63852156

What does "comfy" mean?

You mean comfortable? A movie is comfortable like a couch or a sofa chair?
>>
>>63853025
>A movie is comfortable like a couch or a sofa chair?

yeah, literally. all people who arent autists can experiment feelings of comfort with cultural artifacts. unlike the perpetual anxiety state of the lesser beings.
>>
>>63852275
That was pretty good, thanks anon
>>
You know, it was pretty goddamn good because of the casting being spot-on, the pacing and the excellent visuals.

But if you take just the action out, it's pretty much like every other Wes Anderson movie.
If you've seen this movie, you've seen em all except much better done with this.

4/5, but if you're already bored of his other movies, 2/5
>>
>>63853267
All his videos are pretty damn insightful.

>>63853025
Basically means something that might enhance the experience of being comfortable, preferably in the winter time.
>>
>>63853025
You can watch it wrapped in your blanket while it snows and drink hot chocolate
>>
>>63853025
Nothing at all. Its just a meme manchildren without a sense of measured judgement/critique came up with to cover up for their plebness
>>
>>63853625
Quentin, please go
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.