[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It wasn't better than IV or V. It wasn't worse than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 14
File: kylo-ren.png (380 KB, 728x489) Image search: [Google]
kylo-ren.png
380 KB, 728x489
It wasn't better than IV or V. It wasn't worse than I or II. But how does The Force Awakens fare when compared to RotS and RotJ?

My opinion: VI>III>VII
>>
Correct.
>>
We've already had this thread a million times. Most agree on
V > IV = VII > VI > III > I > II
or
V > IV > VII > VI > III > I > II
>>
>>63845458
anyone who recognizes I,II, or III as existing is autistic
>>
>defending anything from the prequels

Kylo blows the fuck out of what the prequels tried to do with Anikan's character, mostly because Adam can act and Hayden can't, so the full of rage character comes off as scary and a bit sympathetic rather than just cringy and silly
>>
>>63845458
I think it's basically as good as any of them, though Empire is probably the best.

Source: just watched TFA and rewatched the others.
>>
>>63845458
VII doesn't hold a candle to original trilogy. It's just better than Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. I don't believe that says much about its quality, though.
>>
>>63845652

>anikan

shut the fuck up
>>
>>63845592
This is good
>>
>>63845706
>VII doesn't hold a candle to original trilogy
You're retarded. In what way doesn't it "hold a candle?" Return of the Jedi is slow and full of teddy bears and ANH isn't flawless either.

This movie was great. It's almost as good as Empire.
>>
>>63845794

shill.
>>
File: legit keked.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
legit keked.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>63845794
>Calls someone on being retarded
>While saying retarded shit
>>
File: dsfds.gif (494 KB, 500x234) Image search: [Google]
dsfds.gif
494 KB, 500x234
the prequels still have GOAT saber battles, even if they looked over the top, they were satisfying as hell.
>>
>>63845706
It doesn't really give the vibe of a SW movie.
>>
>>63845907
I liked them as a kid, but they were just hitting each other's sticks.

Force Awakens had better fight choreography.
>>
File: gondolus memus.jpg (725 KB, 2240x1400) Image search: [Google]
gondolus memus.jpg
725 KB, 2240x1400
It's

V > IV > VI > III > VII > I > II

Can we please stop now?
>>
>>63845458
Remove SW from the title and you have a mediocre space movie. Putting it anything above the prequels it's just bait. Bad acting, like the prequels, no original story, embarassing fights. It was very disappointing.
>>
If you think ROTS is better than RotJ or TFA, you're a fucking retard. RotS is only good because of memes, it's a shitty movie that's made and directed like shit.

Say what you will about the direction JJ took the story, at least he can frame a fucking scene
>>
>>63846011
Yes, please. Thankyou. I partially disagree on the first three order but VII was fucking insulting
>>
>>63846012
>this
it was basically "Star wars: a new hope the SJW remake"
>>
I actually think Episode 3 is worse than Episode 1

My ranking is V > IV > VI = VII >>> I > II = III

3 suffers from terrible acting and dialogue, it's extremely campy and cheesy and cringeworthy dialogue, take the attack on the grievous(cringy name i thought wtf when reading the opening carwl, this has got to be a joke) ship.

It's just a lot of pointless action montages that we don't give a shit about, with terrible art direction.

Episode III was the only prequel trilogy film that i actually was disappointed coming right out of the theatre, with no redeeming qualities. Sure i was older than when i saw ep1 and 2, and i hate them both also, 2 is as bad as 3.

But Episode 1 feels the most star wars to me. It's shot on film, it has the tone right, the effects look pretty good since it uses tons of practical effects and actual sets compared to 2 and 3 that have terrible cg backdrops which makes all the scenes very non-dynamic since actors can't actually react or touch the sets, so they just walk in a hallway, they don't touch anything since it isn't there, they don't lean on stuff since it isn't there etc. Episode 1 had liam neeson who gave one of the more convincing performances out of the entire prequel trilogy, and it also had the best villain and the best music. It also had a shit ton of terrible stuff in it, but for me it's still the best of the prequels and it's still a piece of shit.
>>
>>63845458
TFA is on par with ANH and better than any prequel
>>
>>63846011
>Empire Strikes Back is best out of OT meme
Please:

IV > VI > V > III > VII > I > II
>>
>>63846146
Kill yourself pleb

TFA is on par with a bag of shit
>>
I is better than both II and III, I don't understand the meme that III is good at all. It's VI, VII, I in any case.
>>
File: 1450245899378.jpg (166 KB, 768x960) Image search: [Google]
1450245899378.jpg
166 KB, 768x960
VII could've been great if it wasn't for the copypasta plot.

the new cast wasn't as bad as I thought they were going to be.
>>
>>63846164
this

fucking sick of the TESB meme

also fucking sick of the "TFA is good" meme

I also don't like the I > II meme but then again I cba to discuss the prequels with plebs
>>
>>63846230
They were good acting wise.

If Finn was actually a character and Rey wasn't Mary Sue, it would've been pretty solid.
>>
>>63845721

Sorry for not having Asperger's and knowing how to spell a fictional name.
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 443x332
>>63845458
Spot on OP, my same ranking
>>
>>63845458
Yeah, you're right.
>>
File: FU0NIW6I8FR85EN.LARGE.jpg (40 KB, 492x492) Image search: [Google]
FU0NIW6I8FR85EN.LARGE.jpg
40 KB, 492x492
>>63845458
It was JUST what I expected, this rehash is nothing but a glib facsimile.

If Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the shit.
>>
File: why.jpg (51 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
51 KB, 600x600
>Thinking that III is better than VII
When is the last time you actually saw it?
>>
>>63845652
I don't agree at all. So far Kylo has been nothing more than an emo-kid, with zero development or background.

He was really just cringy and silly, with no background to really justify that silliness.
>>
File: IMG_1182.png (306 KB, 593x540) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1182.png
306 KB, 593x540
>>63846393
It goes without saying that Kill la Kill and Attack on Titan are the go-to action shows for introductionary fans but if you're a fan of something slower then maybe something like Clannad Afterstory (IF YOU'RE OKAY WITH EPIC FEELS THAT IS). The point I'm trying to make is that there's an anime for everybody :P
>>
Force Awakens is Jurassic World of Star Wars.
>>
>>63846273

out of the 3 Rey is the one that needs more work.
>>
>>63846480
The left one is basically Abram's Kirk that stranded from Star Trek universe.

We multiverse now.

Is he even supposed to be part of main cast?
>>
File: 1434342705175.jpg (1 MB, 2030x3374) Image search: [Google]
1434342705175.jpg
1 MB, 2030x3374
>>63846439

JW had best waifu
>>
File: 1435630584955.jpg (162 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1435630584955.jpg
162 KB, 1920x1080
V > IV > III > VII > VI > I > II
you know it to be true
>>
>>63846256
omg i say meme xd

do you get punched in the face often irl bro?
>>
>>63846580
Wasn't she just corporate slut?
>>
Thinking Sith is better than TFA is shit-your-pants stupidity.

A character goes from reluctantly intervening in a confused confrontation with Samuel L to unquestioningly committing multiple counts of child murder, in the most stone cold fox in the hen house manner.

Padme on deathbed backtracking for redemption "there is good in him still" uh huh.

When Sheev becomes monster mash, comical monster growls are dubbed over Ian McDiarmids audible breathing.

Get the fuck out of here...
>>
>>63846393
LMFAO
>>
>>63846675
F U C K I N G T H I S
>>
>>63846675

The "anti-cheese" edit of ROTS on YouTube is better than JJ's hollow marketing video.
>>
>>63846438
Clannad is fucking horrible you pleb.

'I-I C-CAN'T LIFT MY ARMS TO PLAY B-BASKETBALL'
>>
>>63846780
It might be better than ROTS, but that doesn't make ROTS better. It still exists, and it's still a steaming pile of shit.
>>
Slightly better than Jedi, and much better than Sith
>>
>>63845458
III>VII>VI
>>
File: Trigger_00.jpg (7 KB, 190x200) Image search: [Google]
Trigger_00.jpg
7 KB, 190x200
>>63846854
>>
File: ass backwards.jpg (37 KB, 361x400) Image search: [Google]
ass backwards.jpg
37 KB, 361x400
>>63846854
>>
It's easily better than Sith.

Comparing to Jedi is harder, because Jedi makes a lot of the same mistakes TFA does (Death Star reuse being the most obvious), but in addition feels more dated - but also it has the incredibly strong final showdown between Luke, Vader and the Emperor.

I don't think I'm forming a final opinion on this for a long time, but I consider Jedi slightly better for now.
>>
>>63846675
Sith was better than TFA.

Maybe even the Phantom Menace.
>>
7 is pop action trash pretending to be star wars you cancerous imdb apes.

Fuck off back to your home boards already
>>
I'll have to rewatch VI and VII again to decide.

I like both better than III for sure.
>>
>>63845592
>Most agree
Kek, nobody thinks this film was on par with any of the original trilogy.
>>
>>63846230
My thoughts exactly. I didn't totally mind the A New Hope reskinned so much until they went to another fucking cantina bar and the third act being shitty.
>>
>>63845721
>your spelling is wrong so your point is invalid

Shut up, you fucking dork.
>>
>>63846597
you're a walking, living breathing meme. I could probably beat you up irl desu
>>
>>63845652
this
>>63846422
he couldn't even fall to the dark side properly. no dark side abilities, no weird-as-fuck orange-yellow dark side eyes, just constant whining to the crushed helmet of his grandpa and Snoke, who's already fucking done with his shit by the end of the movie.
>>
>>63845592
Exactly. Hey /tv is acually agreeing on something
>>
>>63845592
I disagree.
>>
>>63846146
How is it on par when it actually is a glib facsimile?
>>
>>63847120
I'm genuinely curious as to what you think the original star wars was if not pop action trash?
>>
The prequels are full of retarded shit but at least they were trying to show different things. Seeing the "empire" getting beating the same way a third time was fucking insulting.

It's a real shame because the movie had a very good start. I hope the next one will have something interesting to show past the first half.
>>
>>63847007
Good post.

I feel in time, this movie will fall greatly in people's estimations.
>>
>>63847707

the next movie will be a rehash of Empire with Luke taking Yoda's place
>>
>>63845592
fuck off with your lies
TFA has nothing on the original trilogy. You'll see it when the hype dies down.
>>
>>63847836
Possibly, but I've already seen this movie twice - and I enjoyed it as much on the second viewing as the first one, and kept noticing things I missed the first time.

All the prequels I was already getting bored out of my mind of on the second viewing.

Time will tell if this will have the staying power of the OT but I'm already convinced it's leagues ahead of any of the PT.
>>
>>63847707
Jakku is easily the strongest point of the movie. It has the least amount of pandering and the direction and cinematography is more in line with how the movie should have been done.

Then they leave Jakku and the film nosedives in every way. The level of respect Disney has for the audience becomes apparent. Disney are proved right too by the reaction to the film.
>>
>>63848050
Was the pacing as bad for you on the second watch?
>>
>>63845592
>VII better than VI

LOL JJ get out pls
>>
>>63848121
VI isn't a great movie but it completely trumps VII as it actually has some memorable scenes.

Not a single moment of VII was as good as the speeder chase on Endor, let alone Luke's confrontation with Sheev.
>>
>>63847880
Will Rey lose a hand? Will Ren reveal to her that they are related? Rey's friends will be captured by the First Order?

Because all of those things sound totally plausible.
>>
>>63845652
>I need you to help me
>;_;
>Thank you for helping me
>kills father
The scene where Kylo became much better than Anakin.
>>
>>63848065
honestly I think the film nosedives after Rey and Finn meet up, by coincidence naturally. from then on the random action and coincidences start and they never stop.
>>
>>63845995
They were also Jedi masters with super enhanced muscles and reflexes. It makes sense for Luke and co. to not be super skilled with a lightsaber without a fighting teacher.
>>
>>63848522
i don't think the film goes bad there, but I felt it was weaker after Rey has that weird vision with the lightsaber.

As for OP: VI > VII > III

I still think III ain't that bad and that IV and V are by far the best. VII was still good overall despite literally being IV again.
>>
>>63846011
>III is better than VII
Pffffffffftttttttt
>>
>>63848116
The pacing was fine to me both times.

Biggest problems to me are:
-Reuse of ideas and story structure
-Maz Kanata, while not straight up annoying is still a pointless CG character that gets too much screen time for all she does
-The most boring soundtrack in all of the series, but I actually started warming up to it the second time, having more time to notice its subtleties
-The political situation behind the story is poorly explained if at all. But I'd be the first to say Star Wars is more about the characters than about politics but man it's pretty bad when you don't know who are the dominant guys and who's supposed to be the underdogs. Or are the Resistance and First Order supposed to be equally strong? Where does the Republic fit in all this? In the OT it was simple enough that it didn't need to be explained, but here it just feels like they're leaving out crucial information.
>>
>>63846011
Fuck off lll
>>
>>63848738
Oh and I forgot: The scene where they show the starkiller beam hitting the planets in the republic system and every planet is shown on the screen at the same time.

I know it's just space fairy tales but I care too much about astronomy to not cringe when I see 4-5 earthlikes in close orbiting distance of each other like that.
>>
>>63849194
Don't they show the planet blowing up from the perspective of Han and the gang? It gave me the impression that they blew up multiple systems if they could see different lasers. I know it's space fantasy but that confused me. Though I could be remembering it wrong.
>>
>>63849450
There's also an "in-space" shot continuing from the shot where Kylo watches the beam from a Star Destroyer's bridge (that part is strong and partially redeems the sequence for me)
After this the beam splits and hits a bunch of planets in a sequence and they seem to be unnaturally close to each other.
>>
>>63845592
No, this is what most people agree on:

V>IV>VI>VII>III>I>II

or

V>IV>VII>IV>III>I>II
>>
IV > V > VII > VI > III > I > II

We can stop with the ROTS meme now.
>>
>>63848738
I think there's a lot of scenes that were either deleted or shuffled to later movies.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.