[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me /tv/, why does he wear the mask? No, seriously, why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: APS4504.jpg (102 KB, 427x400) Image search: [Google]
APS4504.jpg
102 KB, 427x400
Tell me /tv/, why does he wear the mask? No, seriously, why? It serves no fucking purpose
>>
Just to be edgy
>>
Because he wants to be Vader 2.0
>>
To sell toys
>>
>>63839045
Yeah that's the vibe got from him too. He just felt like those kids that shoot up schools, "Star War Edition"
>>
In the encyclopedia it says that when he created the Knights of Ren, he didn't want to be recognized by the jedi at the temple that he was going to kill, so he donned the mask to be less "personal". He doesn't give a shit I the movie because that was 15 years in the past.
>>
File: inymWtd.gif (990 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
inymWtd.gif
990 KB, 500x300
>>63839029
That's sort of the point. They mention it in the movie. He wants to be vader really badly but vader wore a mask for a reason. Kylo's just a tryhard who's doing it because he thinks it looks cool. Hell, he's not even truly darkside- Snoke has to remind him not to get tempted by the light that's his natural inclination.

They did a pretty good job with his characterization.
>>
>>63839029
It's a marketing tactic from Disney executives to sell more merchandise.
>>
>>63839160
>make Snoke look like a dumbass who can't find a decent apprentice
>do a decent job with his characterization

I get why they thought the concept was clever but it actually hurts the whole series. Kylo turning to the light side earlier than Vader is also bad. If he doesn't turn, it's still worse than if he'd been kept intimidating from the start

See the problem?
>>
REAL ANSWER:

Because it's tradition in the star wars universe.

Pretty much the reason.

This doesn't have to be very complicated, people.
>>
He's trying his hardest to be like his grandpa.
>>
>>63839396
But they didn't do that in the Prequels. And their have been plenty of Sith Lords without this in the EU. It just seems a bit of a waste, espically if they're just going to show his face right off the bat. That was stupid.
>>
You wouldn't wear a mask to hide all those spots?

But seriously, why not. It's like wear sunglasses that have an LCD display in them.
>>
Think about all of the star troopers of the First Order. Think of what they constantly wear on their head. Then think about who Kylo Ren is and what he does, and also who Darth Vader was and what he did.

You're literally asking "why does the police chief wear a police cap and a uniform?".
>>
>>63839029
No one would take him seriously if they saw he was just an ugly, edgy teenager.
>>
>>63839045
>Just to be edgy

Basically this.
>>
>>63839955
That's the only good excuse I've seen so far. But so many Sith Lords besides Vader have shown their faces, it just seems dumb to me
>>
>>63839045
I guess edginess skips a generation
>>
File: 1463784923.jpg (21 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1463784923.jpg
21 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>63839029
It's a tribute to his grandfather.
>>
>no-one cared who Finn was until he took off the mask
>no-one cared who Kylo was after he took off the task
It's like pottery
>>
>>63839069

But the mask isn't even very interesting, visually. And the rest of his costume is boring.
>>
why do the stormpoopers wear a mask?

why do captain phasma wear a mask
>>
>>63840133
Yes, but being a Sith Lord doesn't make you part of the military. Maybe it's headcanon on my part, but I feel like Vader and Kylo were more ingrained in the military apparatus, whereas the other Sith lords were more like one-man special forces.
>>
>>63839312
No, it sounds like you're a fucking twat who doesn't understand circumstances.

>grandson of most midichlorians
>jedi apprentice
>easily seduced

It's not like snoke had much of a choice, twat munch
>>
>>63839826
There's no sunglasses in star wars, Jackass
>>
GLIB
>>
>>63839029
hack symbolism
>>
>>63840436
I definitely buy this. Vader was 100% a lackey of the Empire, he didn't get up to much sith stuff by himself. In fact I don't think the idea of the sith even existed in the OT, he was just a fallen jedi. But sith basically means evil jedi so whatever.
>>
>>63839029
To make him feel like less of a pussy
>>
>>63840526
What a funny review, what a funny guy he was, lol glib facsimile what a guy, what a great post he made. He really is a super star, greatness. Yeah, that glib guy is so great. He really captured essence of that. Bottled up star wars vii in two words. Incredible. Sheesh, breath taking. Really funny too. Yeah, reviewer of the year. Yeah.
>>
>>63839029
The movie explains what helmets have to do with identity when Phasma asks Finn who told him he could take off his helmet.

Then you find out Kylo is a Vader fanboy. Then you learn he's struggling with the light inside him. Then you really get the message about struggling with the Han scene.
>>
>>63839396
>tradition

It's to sell merchandise, as TFA is pretty much a remake of IV. ANyway, since Ben is a Vader fanboy, he did it to seem like him.
>>
>>63839029

Merchandise and le ominous villain.
>>
>>63840343
>But the mask isn't even very interesting, visually.

it reminds people of Vader and was in the trailer

that's all that matters. people who buy merchandise are morons.
>>
>>63840436
Alright, I guess I can work with that. I was just under the impression that the soldiers actually needed the masks for "protection" and force users didn't need them due to the ability to deflect lasers and catch them. But I guess that's a good answer
>>
To me i assumed he wears the mask because he doesn't like showing his face, he doesn't like being reminded of who he is, or who he was.

He explicitly says in the movie "your son is dead, i killed him" because he doesn't want to be ben solo, he sees himself, or atleast wants to see himself completely as kylo ren. He wears the mask to reaffirm that, to hide the reminder of him being ben solo.
>>
>>63839029
Han Solo said "take the mask off, you don't need it" implying that he wears it just to look like Vader. I don't mind, it's pretty cool and it makes him sound badass when he talks.
>>
>>63839029
I was glad he wore it and was hoping he never took it off. Seriously, the man looks like some guy who would start a mass shooting in school.
>>
>>63839029
Because if the stormtroopers knew what he looked like they wouldn't be taken seriously
>>
>>63839312

He's super strong with the force though, I've never seen someone stop a blaster laser in mid air or extract thoughts from someone's mind before.
>>
>>63841685
Imagine how strong will Luke's daughter will be.
One can hope this episode won't end so good, but it will
>>
cuz itz intimidatingz. duhhhhh

I liked him. Cool character, weak, little man. Trying so hard to step into Vader's shoes.
>>
He wears that mask because he took it (and the name) from the guy he killed in the Knights of Ren (initially as revenge for them killing all the jedi in training) thus initializing his fall to the dark side.
>>
>>63839157
>15 years in the past

How old was he when he killed all the Jedi?
>>
>>63839029

If you look at the visor as the mouth and the faceplate as a pharoah beard...
>>
File: jacensoolo.png (85 KB, 249x233) Image search: [Google]
jacensoolo.png
85 KB, 249x233
>>63839029
fax
>>
File: nzmllpZe3H1upfq0ro.jpg (284 KB, 650x948) Image search: [Google]
nzmllpZe3H1upfq0ro.jpg
284 KB, 650x948
>>
[Mask Hisses and Kylo Groans]
>>
because he's a goofy looking kid trying to be vader, i'm sure the casting of his weird looking actor was very deliberate
>>
>>63840436
Dooku was 100% ingrained in the military. He was the main general
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.