[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we start talking about the director of Episode 8 who will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: Star_Wars_Episode_8.png (148 KB, 480x282) Image search: [Google]
Star_Wars_Episode_8.png
148 KB, 480x282
Can we start talking about the director of Episode 8 who will be Rian Johnson (director of Looper).

I don't feel fully comfortable with him directing and writing this movie also. JJ's FTA actually FELT like a Star Wars movie as he nailed the feeling and atmosphere really really well.

So do you have hope in Rian doing sincerely well?
>>
I have no idea who tha director is (i think i saw Looper but i don't remember it at all)

But i do know that the director of Episode 9 is the one that made Jurassic World and i have a really bad feeling about this
>>
>JJ's FTA actually FELT like a Star Wars movie as he nailed the feeling and atmosphere really really well
Is this a fucking joke? This has the same issue that plagued the Star Trek films: it feels less like a legitimate installment in the franchise and more like a generic action movie with a famous brand name slapped onto it.
>>
>>63837704
Looper was shit. JJ's movies are shit.

Fuck, SW is dead.
>>
>>63837785
I also read that Rian wrote the script for episode 9 as well. yikes!

Rian has been known to re-use movie ideas (Looper was a Terminator time travel film which was loosely based off a 2009 foreign film).

So Episode 9 = Empire strikes back rip off?
>>
>>63837811
>SW is dead
Official fanbase motto since 1983
>>
>>63837808
no I am 100% serious. apart from a few jokes here and there, FTA was full on Star Wars!

I will say that the end scene of the movie felt too bright or that lighting color grain of that scene with luke's reveal felt different compared to all the other scenes.
>>
>>63837704
For what we know about the movie based on articles and information:
Harrison Ford is listed as returning - obviously in a flashback since he is dead. Finn is also returning, my guess he will have some super equipment thing attached to his spine cos he got badly rekt by Kylo. Phasma too is returning thank god!
>>
>>63837704
Looper was a bit cerebral for a time travel sci fi, but the industry really liked it, and it succeeded at the bo, doing 176 on a budget of 30.

His standout work as a writer was Brick, which was a work of young genius and remains among the best of the look-back genre benders ever.

Given Lucas' tin ear for some of the clunkiest dialog ever written, hearing some actual character-developing, crafted human speech in the SW universe could only be a refreshing elevation. Like Kasdan's work on V Empire.
>>
>>63837704
Christopher Nolan or Zack Snyder should have been the director. Zack has some great comedy dialogue in the new Batman v Superman trailer
>>
Rian Johnson is a stellar fucking choice; he knows how to shoot in the old cinematic style on film. The Force Awakens was a decent movie but was shot in the modern style identical to JJ's Star Trek movies. If you look at the originals they were shot very statically; you can actually see what is happening on screen, none of this constant panning around bullshit.

Rian Johnson knows how to write good characters and how to shoot well on a budget. Hell, he even managed to get cunt bruce willis to act in his film; which is a miracle if you go by what Kevin Smith says.

The guy directing episode nine can get fucked though.
>>
>>63837704
>JJ's FTA actually FELT like a Star Wars movie as he nailed the feeling and atmosphere really really well.

Fucking kek anon.
>>
File: 1372672232120.png (96 KB, 332x333) Image search: [Google]
1372672232120.png
96 KB, 332x333
>>63837855
I just want to see something new in Episode VIII. Episode VII followed all the same story beats as Episode IV, and I don't want the whole trilogy to be a rehash of the OT. Love them or hate them, the prequels were oozing with creativity, and Episode VII was not.

Take us to new and exotic alien worlds. Not just repeats of Tattooine, Hoth and Yavin. Show us new vehicles and not just updated TIE Fighters and X-Wings. Let the First Order have a scheme that doesn't involve a giant space gun that blows up planets. Stop trying so hard to not be the prequels that you end up having the exact opposite problem that the prequels had.
>>
>>63837808
Agreed. This was a scrapbook of a film.
>>
>>63838743
Thank you.
>>
>>63837704
Well yeah, Looper wasn't amazing but it wasn't that bad either. But what's more important is that Johnson also directed the best Breaking Bad episodes: Ozymandias, Fifty-One, Fly

So at least Episode 8 is probably going to be a masterpiece in terms of cinematography.
>>
>>63838743
>Lucas' prequels had so many new planets, vehicles, sets
yet everyone wishes they never existed
>>
>>63839059
Once it was fine to say it
>>
File: PrequelMiniatures.png (3 MB, 1708x1792) Image search: [Google]
PrequelMiniatures.png
3 MB, 1708x1792
>>63839195
fuck off hater
>>
>the pessimism and contrarian bullshit starting this far out.
It was just the other week when /tv/ was so sure that JJ would do horrible.
>>
>>63838743
Expect an even bigger death star, once the size of a galaxy!
>>
>>63839364
THAT'S A KEKAL
>>
>>63839364
nah even better: a rip in time due to the Empire working on a new powerful weapon which causes a portal to open where all the previous deceased villains and jedi jump out.
>>
I'm optimistic. He seems to genuinely like Star Wars, and Looper was pretty good.

He's also said that he thought the prequels had a beautiful aspect to them so I think his movie will be less of an OT ripoff
>>
>>63839276
What? I'm just telling him that it was ok to call the prequels shit once everyone else started doing it
>>
>>63839553
>He's also said that he thought the prequels had a beautiful aspect to them
YES! If he really said this then he is one of my favorite people now
>>
>>63839059
>>63839195
>>63839276
Just one of the prequels had more physical models and sets than all of the original trilogy combined. But no-one cares or appreciates it, because muh CG boogie man.
>>
>>63837704
I liked Looper. I'm guessing that's a bad thing?
>>
File: 8245686593567.png (317 KB, 630x327) Image search: [Google]
8245686593567.png
317 KB, 630x327
>>63839673
And you're right. Everyone I knew liked Episode 1 when it first came out. Then people started complaining about Jar Jar, and then Anakin, and then the CG, and then pretty much everything until there were angry video reviews longer than the movie itself. People hate on the prequels to fit in, and because it's the cool thing to do. You can instantly tell who these people are, because the first way they will praise episode VII is by bashing the prequels. They try so hard that by all appearances they hate the prequels more than they love the other movies.

Are the prequels as good as the OT? No. Are they terrible? Also no. They are fun, albeit flawed fantasy movies that have some cringey dialogue but lots of great visuals, action and adventure. In spite of all their problems they are still distinctly Star Wars. I will never jump on the prequel hating bandwagon because I made a decision a long time ago that I was not going to let other people tell me what movies I could and couldn't enjoy.
>>
Why is everyone focusing on Looper and ignoring that he has directed two 10/10 BB episodes - Fly and Ozymandias?
>>
I'm definitely optimistic about RJ

also:
>JJ's FTA actually FELT like a Star Wars movie as he nailed the feeling and atmosphere really really well.
what the fuck man
>>
What made it feel like star wars to you other than the fan service? It didn't have the same atmosphere at all to me. Hell, even the prequels had more of it.
>>
File: 1408117967880.png (316 KB, 629x464) Image search: [Google]
1408117967880.png
316 KB, 629x464
>>63837704
>I don't feel fully comfortable with him directing and writing this movie also. JJ's FTA actually FELT like a Star Wars movie as he nailed the feeling and atmosphere really really well.

Why do you keep worrying about shit when you know the people doing the actual directing are Lucasfilm and Disney executives?
>>
>>63840081

>hurr they had tie fighters and stuff and they did the lightsabre baddles dood
>>
He managed to make post Lucky Number Slevin - Bruce Willis act his ass off, which is a huge fucking accomplishment, so he's pretty cool in my books.
>>
>>63839746
"There was something really beautiful about the prequels," he said, before jokingly adding, "With these films, I am trying to harken back to the original Star Wars…. Christmas Special. We do have Jefferson Starship."
This is exactly what he said.
>>
>>63837704
I know what you mean bro! JJ's ST09 actually FELT like Star Trek too. When Vulcan blew up it took me back to familiar contemplative moments involving the Vulcans. JJ's like Stravinsky, he knows what tone to strike. Now where's my puke bucket.
>>
>Changing directors in the middle of a trilogy
FUCKING WHY
>>
>>63842650
cos OT did that too
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.