[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This film single-handedly hereby renders >most of the books,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 5
File: NEyOidJtxV3MCz_2_b.jpg (83 KB, 600x316) Image search: [Google]
NEyOidJtxV3MCz_2_b.jpg
83 KB, 600x316
This film single-handedly hereby renders
>most of the books, including the Thrawn Trilogy
>most of the games, including the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight titles
>pretty much all of the comics
non-canon and obsolete.

How does it make you feel that Disney and JJ is telling you all the related merchandise and apocrypha you have bought over the years is now meaningless?
>>
Smart move. 90% of casual moviegoers (ie, the target audience) don't even know the books and games and shit even exist. Why further confuse them by referencing shit they'll never buy?
>>
>>63832720
ITT: Throw away characters that paander and baits the ethnic minority.
>>
boo fucking hoo, this was already known 2 years ago
>>
>>63832720
good
>>
File: 1427224521810.jpg (41 KB, 550x512) Image search: [Google]
1427224521810.jpg
41 KB, 550x512
>>63832720
>erased all of Star Trek except Enterprise.
>>
The EU was fucking horrible
>>
>>63834418
But that's not true. Star Trek is full of alternate universe time line shit. The "Prime" universe is untouched.
>>
>>63832720

Who cares? Its not like Disney sent out the SS to raid your homes and gather all books/comics/video games related to Star Wars and burn them in a giant pile. Nothing is stopping you from picking up your favorite EU story and enjoying it.
>>
Lucas made that decision when he sold to Disney. Smart move, too.
>>
Reminder this is canon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7hBZNsPnyg
>>
It would've been kind of nice if they at least kept the same characters, but completely retcon their actual stories. That way you can send a nod to the few people who liked the EU as well as render all that nonsense non-canon. There's already similarities TFA has with the EU anyway, just the names are changed.
>>
>>63832720
>How does it make you feel that Disney and JJ >is telling you all the related merchandise and apocrypha you have bought over the years is now meaningless?

protip: it was always meaningless, nerdlord
>>
>>63834496
And, that was pretty fucking cool; ignoring the fact that Maul's "brothers" name is Savage Opress.
>>
>>63834477
Canonicity matters.

>Nothing is stopping you from picking up your favorite EU story and enjoying it.
You could say the same thing about fanfics, too. Doesn't change the fact that fanfics have not and will never matter
>>
>>63832720
But how can they erase fan fiction?
>>
>>63834649
>who cares
>>
>>63834649

So I'm no longer allowed to play Jedi Knight and enjoy it again? Because Disney says so?
>>
>>63834649
it only matters if youre a big enough nerd to actually care about stuff like that. most aren't. youre trying to make a big deal out of something that really isn't big at all.
>>
>>63834433
you're fucking horrible
>>
>>63832720
>non-canon and obsolete

Nah. It just finally drew a line in the sand that separated Star Wars lore from SWCU lore. Standard / Legends / Extended / whatever you want to call it includes the games, books, comics, and most of the rest along with the first six movies.

The Cinematic Universe is just the movies and TV show. A couple of the comics too, if memory serves.

It doesn't bother me that Marvel has a separate universe for their movies either.
>>
>>63834477
This
couldn't say it better myself desu
>>
>>63832720
good because outside of KotOR, Republic Commando, Jedi Knight and a few other things the EU was shit
>>
>>63834714
Reading comprehension, friend.

I wasn't saying they're erasing fan fiction. I was saying that erasing EU from canon essentially renders it as fan fiction. Fan fiction has never mattered, whereas EU, to some degree, mattered.

>>63834736
Do what you want. I like those games too, but it sucks that Kyle's story no longer means anything. It's still possible to enjoy it, but no future official works even have the possibility of referencing them as part of the Star Wars chronology. That disappoints me, because it's not like they contradicted any of the established canon, and they were good games to boot.
>>
>Yuuzhan Vong removed from canon
Thank fucking God. 99% of that was pure, undiluted shit.
>>
>>63834931
>but it sucks that Kyle's story no longer means anything
it never meant anything
>>
>>63832720
I didn't care about any of that and 99% of it was garbage anyhow.
>>
>>63834818
It's not a "different universe" you nerd, it's non canon and canon. All that other shit isn't cannon, it's fan fic.
>>
>>63832720

>buying shitty merchandise and reading glorified fanfiction

They brought it on themselves, watch them still buy the new shit.
>>
>>63834931
it's all fiction faggot. It doesn't matter what's "canon". All that mattered to begin with is the movies, the EU never mattered besides a few token references, like George naming the capital Coruscant

even the new EU is just being branded "canon" for marketing purposes, Ahsoka Tano or Han's black ex-wife are never going to be seen in the movies
>>
dude everything in the star wars universe is non-canon. It's a fictional fucking fairy tale story. George Lucas and a bunch of other writers made it all up.
>>
>>63835635
>Han's black ex-wife

Excuse me?
>>
>>63832720
>How does it make you feel that Disney and JJ is telling you all the related merchandise and apocrypha you have bought over the years is now meaningless?

The enjoyment I had from those books didn't disappear from my memory when the announcement was made. Nothing will stop me from picking up the few I'm missing and enjoying those as well.

Do you think of silver age comics as "meaningless"?
>>
>>63832720
I don't buy EU shit so I'm alright
>>
File: 1405128099370.jpg (64 KB, 724x806) Image search: [Google]
1405128099370.jpg
64 KB, 724x806
>>63832720
>all of the EU destroyed

Pretty fucking swell
>>
Pretty good.

The EU got really big around the time the special editions and prequels were coming out, because they were so bad it created a huge demand for "star wars, but not shit." So now disney has an utterly massive pool of material to draw from in order to make their star wars cinematic universe not-shit.
>>
>>63834638
Hi 12-year old
>>
>>63832720
No one who wasn't autistic ever considered any of that stuff canon in the first place.
>>
I never got into the EU. I always considered in non-canon anyway, like most fans probably.
>>
>>63832720
The extended universe has always been non-canon, nerd
>>
>>63832720
feel bad for the Star wars fans who give a shit about that.

New Star Wars movie made by Jar Jar abrams is nothing more then a copy of Episode 4
>>
The EU was 10% good and 90% shit. I'm sure fan favorites like Katarn, Thrawn and Mara Jade may reappear one day.
>>
>/tv/ hates the EU

Was the EU really that bad? I mean, yeah, I can see how their could be a few lore inconsistencies with so many different writers, but it can't be as bad as you guys are making it out to be, right?
>>
>>63837510
Its just a landfill. Some good shit in there, a ton of plain shit. Basically identical to any fanfiction community, but fanfiction isn't sold at retail price.
>>
File: 1374262693136.jpg (45 KB, 279x305) Image search: [Google]
1374262693136.jpg
45 KB, 279x305
>>63832720

platinum feels, it's like they killed all my friends more than the Yuuzhan Vong did.

Most people hating on the EU are still just mad about the Vong btw

>>63835627

>instead I'll pay money to go see glorified fanfiction in theaters
>>
>>63837487

even if they do appear, they'll appear completely butchered.

Kylo Ren is a good indication of what any vague EU ideas will look like in the movies.

>>63837510

I'd say a good chunk of it is good. Post-ROTJ lore gets a little convoluted though.
>>
>>63832720
Hooray. Fuck the EU.
>>
>>63832720

The Thrawn Trilogy needs only one change to be canon-compliant again: rename Jacen as Ben. The simplest change would be to give Han and Leia only one kid instead of twins.

The rest of the EU, I don't even miss.
>>
>>63837510
>Was the EU really that bad?
No, lots of it was amazing. There needs to be a macro image detailing which books to read and which to skip over.
>>
>>63838292
/lit/ can probably cook one up. There should be a list for all Star Wars media, though. Which books/game/comics to read/play and avoid.
>>
>>63837892
That's assuming Disney owns the movie rights to the Thrawn trilogy...
>>
I liked poe, but why and how did he leave the planet?
>>
>Non-Goerge Lucas movie
>Canon

>Implying
>>
>>63839528
Deus ex machina
>>
Would they be a couple?
>>
>>63839528
Please look forward to a badly written book or comic about it
>>
>>63839661
Friendly reminder that the only movies Lucas directed were the first one and the universally reviled prequels.
>>
>>63832720
>How does it make you feel that Disney and JJ is telling you all the related merchandise and apocrypha you have bought over the years is now meaningless?
It tells me that their story and related merchandise is cheaper for it.
30 years from now, who knows what the state of SW will be? Everything Disney is doing might be rendered obsolete.

It makes me far less interested in their attempt to saturate the market with SW.
>>
>>63832720
>non-canon and obsolete
Which is fine, because this movie is also non-canon to me as well.
>>
>>63839672
No

>>63839661
the prequels were horrible, george is horrible

>>63839670
wat
>>
why the fuck did Kylo Ren look like a pussy

I get they were going for an anakin hairstyle but at least they couldve gotten someone who looked intimidating with it

unless that was the very point? to show he was weaker with the dark side?
>>
>>63839877
i dont understand how many autists on this site cannot understand the fact that kylo ren is not anywhere near the same power level as vader in ANH if anything he was comparable to anakin in episode 2
>>
It's fucking great, I love watching fanboys sperg out just because their bullshit fanfictions are acknowledged as just that.
>>
>>63839972
well no shit he wasnt as powerful as vader, but he was pretty weak for a second in command
>>
>>63840045
and plagueis being suffocated by a pillow made him weak?
>>
>>63838292

I was already working on something for a friend, but it was gonna be a pastebin because I'm not sure how to edit an image the way I want it to. Any suggestions for him would be nice.

>>63838623

I'd suggest /co/ but they're too busy bowing down to Mickey Mouse these days.
>>
File: GeorgeRBinks.jpg (91 KB, 406x502) Image search: [Google]
GeorgeRBinks.jpg
91 KB, 406x502
is George R Binks still cannon?
>>
>>63832720
never heard of any of those
still loved the movie
>>
It was always meaningless. Star Wars is fiction. You do know that, right? But even disregarding that the movies were always most important. Even now they're most important, though Disney is aiming for a more coherent and controlled universe.

Most of the EU stuff is honestly either dull or outright bad anyway. Whether you think the new movies are better or worse will be up to you and you alone, but getting rid of the EU was the only sensible way of dealing with a sequel trilogy. Anything less than a total dismissal would be a clusterfuck for creators and the brand.

Canonicity is arbitrary. It only matter insofar as stories reference other stories. You can still enjoy the Thrawn books within their context.
>>
>>63834545
I what if preferred something along those lines as well. I understand there was no purpose to doing, say, a straight adoption of the Thrawn Trilogy, but re-imagining would have been appreciated versus completely erasing everything, Especially stuff that's really well established.
In the end, though, Disney probably wanted to avoid the confusion from using characters that already existed. That o. they just didn't want to pay the authors to use their characters.
>>
>>63837319
I'm 33 and I liked it.
>>
They announced this officially months ago retard
>>
Honestly, a lot of the EU content about the New Jedi Order and everything was pretty shit. I wish Disney had only erased the post RotJ stuff, and kept all of the Clone Wars, Old Republic era, and prequel stuff, as well as the stuff that took place during the time of the OT because most of that stuff was gold.
>>
>yfw you realize star bores is the new capeshit

Rest in peace
>>
No... they can't do that! They can't! I've invested my entire life in children's entertainment, they can't just take that away from me!
>>
>>63832720
the only good part of the eu is kotor, and it takes place so far in the past that i can still pretend it's canon
>>
>>63840598
>the only good part of the eu is kotor

casual detected
>>
>han solo's black wife.jpg
>>
One good thing about EA making the games is that they might be able to keep KOTOR canon since they own bioware.
>>
>>63837510
Depends. I saw a lot of the Old Republic shit is good, and a lot of the EU before the Vong is good.

Most people who say the EU are shit haven't read a book in their lives. There are hundreds of Star Wars books and comics. You can't make a sweeping generalization of the EU without having consumed a ton of it. Reading "Luuke Skywalker (clone)" on Wookieepedia isn't enough.
>>
>>63837162

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sana_Starros
>>
>>63840531
Anything not contradicted by the movies or explicitly mentioned I consider canon anyway.

Disney can always retcon the retcon when it comes to prequel and Old Republic stuff and just pick and chose what is and isn't canon
>>
>>63834638
If you think anything of the 3D Clone Wars cartoon is "cool", then you're a middle-schooler.
>>
>>63841371
Say what you will about the CGI Clone Wars, but the original 2D Clone Wars shorts were masterfully done
>>
>>63832720
a game is good regardless of whether its canon or not in some fictional setting.

i didn't buy the other shit. don't really care desu.
>>
>>63842114

I like both. I consider CG Clone Wars one of the last real old EU products, even if maybe not top-tier.
>>
>>63832720

I guess some people still didnt get the memo but they had an official statement about 18 months ago saying they were erasing the EU and all books videogames were being made non-canon and scrapped. Thrawn never existed, Revan never existed, etc.

The only things that are real and still canon are all six films and both animated clone wars. Everything else is scrapped. It's not a huge loss since 99% of the EU was an absolute shit-sandwich for sperg babies. I will miss Bastila though. Spoiled Jedi princess.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.