[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which was the best saber fight in the star wars series, and why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: Ihavethehighgroundanakin.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Ihavethehighgroundanakin.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
Which was the best saber fight in the star wars series, and why was it this one?

Also, am i the only one that wants to see a Epi. III anakin just literally tear the shit out of kylo ren???
>>
>>63831430
Luke vs Vader in Jedi was by far the best. Of all the fights, it felt the most "real" you can see Luke's emotion when he starts hacking away at Vader.

That fight looked way too choreographed, as if the characters themselves were performing a fight that they had practiced.
>>
>>63831563
>Of all the fights, it felt the most "real" you can see Luke's emotion when he starts hacking away at Vader

Oh please, it's boring and uninspiring as shit. Typical of old film fights.

Not saying prequel dancing around in fire doing flips and shit was better either, but the OT has boring as shit fights by today's standards.
>>
What makes a lightsaber fight good? The prequel ones go on for too long and are unrealistic. The OT ones are very slow paced, but usually have emotion and plot in them.
>>
>>63831563
I think you see much more emotion in Anakin/Obi, despite the visual effects. There are three things that highlight this for me in the fight:

1. Anakin crossing sabers and nearly forcing it down on obi-wan (look at his face when he does it)

2. When the two attempt to 'force push' eachother at the same time. What i love here is obi-wans reaction as he realises that he is practically fucked (despite that not actually happening)

3. at some point in the fight, obi-wan lifts up his saber to strike, and anakin basically goes 'fuck this' and slaps him, and then goes for another blow. Its just small things like this which i think are done to show how anakin is fuelled with anger etc...
>>
>>63831430
>4 posts in and no one has posted the gif of the saber twirling contest
>>
Any torrents with okayish quality yet ?
>>
>>63831767
I don't care what people think, I absolutely love that shit.
>>
>>63831430
>God tier
Qui Gon and Obi Wan vs Darth Maul
Obi Wan vs Vader ROTS
Luke vs Vader ROTJ
>Good tier
Anakin vs Dooku part 2
Yoda vs Sidious
>Meh tier
Windu vs the senate
Anything on Geonosis
Luke vs Vader ESB
>Shit tier
Obi Wan vs Vader ANH
>>
>>63831730
This. Despite all the choreography in Obi Wan vs Anakin, there WAS emotion and tension involved way more so than anything in the OT.

Whoever is suggesting the OT had more emotional fights is trying to hard to be patrician.
>>
>Episode 8
>Kylo Ren is going slowly insane
>Starts having force visions like Rey had with the lightsaber
>Hayden fucking Christensen in his duel on mustafar appearance
>"Let me show you the power of the darkside"
>Transforms into Darth Vader while saying this
>Hallucination Vader beats the absolute shit out of Kylo
>>
>>63831868
Except this won't happen. Vader was redeemed at the end.
>>
>>63831909
It doesn't have to be a force ghost, it can just be in Kylo's Mind
The scene could end with him sitting in his chambers and they're fucking torn to shreds with lightsaber marks
>>
File: 1447640911545.gif (2 MB, 517x349) Image search: [Google]
1447640911545.gif
2 MB, 517x349
>>63831767
>>
palpatine's clone and luke on byss
>>
Luke vs. Darth Vader in episode VI

It was super emotional and intense without being a ballet
>>
>>63831430
Honestly, choreography was not the thing that made Force Awakens duel shitty. It was actually pretty fucking great, because in prequels they were just hitting each others' sticks, like, weren't even trying to penetrate or get their stick inside of other man.
>>
if you do not care about how well acted they are and only like to see two dudes dancing around in fire then you are probably a little kid
>>
>>63832213
>a little kid
God forbid the target demographic for Star Wars like Star Wars.
>>
>>63831794
>Luke vs Vader ESB that low
What is wrong with you?
>>
>>63832213
It's like you forgot that Star Wars was orignaly a kid friendly movie
>>
The only PT saber fight enjoy is the Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon vs Maul battle. And that's because of the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzVBqBosf5w

All of the others were dance shows. Watched Episode 3 yesterday and still don't get why people like the end fight. All fights involving Palpatine were shite as well.

Dooku vs Anakin was okay I guess.
>>
>>63831430
>surfing on droids
>best lightsaber duel
>>
>>63831794
He is memeposter AAAGHAAAAAAAA!
>>
>>63831430

I want to see ANYONE tear the shit out of shitty kylo ren.
>>
episode 3 >literal dog shit>literally getting AIDS>episode 7
>>
>>63831430

The fight between Kenobi/Quigon/Darth Maul is still probably my personal favorite.
>>
File: 1447307981158.gif (1 MB, 223x200) Image search: [Google]
1447307981158.gif
1 MB, 223x200
>>63832512
>>
>>63831631

throwing as much acrobatics you can into something doesn't make it "modern"
>>
>>63831794
>Yoda vs Sidious

literally the best fight in the entire movie series
>>
>>63832793
I specifically said the prequel acrobatic fights aren't great either, retard.
>>
>>63832878

Yet you implied that the OT fights are bad for not having them since it's the only stated gauge of quality.
>>
>>63832959
No, they're boring because the swordplay itself was so sterile. VII actually had good duels that didn't involve acrobatics.
>>
>>63831563
>too choreographed

I will never understand this complaint. This isn't an old man vs a young inexperienced young adult nor is it an old man vs an old man or a inexperienced apprentice vs a janitor and some girl who never wielded lightsaber. This fight was between some of the greatest duelists the universe has seen in their primes who have sparred and trained with each other for a dozen years. Both of these men have fought side by side and know each other fighting style like the back of their hand and know each other moves.
>>
>>63831430

>Best coreography
Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon x Darth Maul hand down.

That duel is fun as fuck.

>Most Emotional
Luke x Darth Vader II

Anakin x Obiwan( Episode III ) is waaaay longer than it should be. Also, it lacks dialogue. It needed more shit like the "i failed you" in the end.

The fights on the new movie are okay. Rey and Kylo are still pretty green. Their duels should be upgraded on the next movies.
>>
>>63832534
ooh that one and the one in OPs pic are really hard to choose from. Both are very good.
>>
>mfw people actually think Ben vs Vader is the worst one
>mfw not understanding the meaning
>mfw no face

All the duels in the OT are god tier compared to the dances in the prequels. Darth Maul is excepted because Duel of the Fates
>>
>>63833812
I hated how silent and stupid the duel was, like the part where they both took cover from the falling rocks they should have been talking.

This battle had nowhere near the emotional impact it could have.
>>
>>63834014

Pretty much this.
>>
>>63831430
this fight make obi wan character more unsymphatetic. I wish anakin got wounded in war and then he became progressively more machine as he progressed in the dark side and the empire rank. Coming back together from each battle more corrupted and with more machinery attached to fix him.
>>
>>63831430
I refuse to understand why anybody likes this fight?

I mean it's pretty good for the first part but once the lava goes all crazy, it's not a fight anymore, it's just a fucking spectacle for CGI
>>
>>63831794
>Good
>Yoda vs Sidious
No
>>
>>63831563
First post thread over. Luke Vader in Jedi may not have been the flashiest but it had the most weight. It was highly evocative seeing Luke wailing on a crippled Vader. You can't deny the power of that scene.
>>
>God Tier
Luke vs Vader ROTJ
Luke vs Vader ESB
>Good Tier
Ben vs Vader
Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul
Rey vs. Kylo Ren
>Meh Tier
Obi-wan vs Anakin ROTS
>Shit Tier
Obi-wan/Anakin vs Dooku (AOTC and ROTS)
Obi-wan vs Grevious
>>
>>63833984

I feel like in the fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin Lucas tried too hard to beat himself at his own game. It's part of the problem with ROTS, Lucas wanted to go all out with it and even was saying around the time of production that Episode 3 would be the most saber heavy. I feel like the Anakin and Kenobi battle could have been just as good if not better had Lucas known when to tone it down.

The battle in TPM lacks the emotional intensity of ROTS' fight as the latter is two best friends fighting to the death. But TPM has this "majestic" quality to it that really epitomizes the atmosphere of the film as a whole and definitely gives you a sense "this is how Jedi and Sith used to fight in their heydays" Sure, Maul and the Jedi have no emotional connections with one another, but that impersonal aspect to the fight adds something unique to it I think. As you watch Qui Gon and his apprentice fight this Sith Lord, you can almost picture similar battles taking place across millenia in the Star Wars universe, especially if you are already familiar with the Expanded Universe stories like the Tales of the Jedi series in particular (which inspired the inclusion of a double bladed lightsaber) and this is enhanced by the Duel of the Fates piece with its chorus in a language most of us don't understand and which gives this "antiquated" feel to the whole scene. The TPM choreography also avoids some of the extremities of the ROTS fight, which again are the result of Lucas trying too hard to top himself.

I definitely understand why people might not like the more fanciful choreography of either fight, but such fanciful choreography pretty standard in a lot of martial arts entertainment. I don't see why the prequel's fights should be treated so harshly for that, when the films like Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Donnie Yen and others get away with it all the time and are praised for it.
>>
>>63832213
lol, if you actually pay to see Star Wars, you are probably a little kid.
>>
>>63831563
>Luke vs Vader
>Good
>Luke throwing around the saber as if it has weight when hacking at Vader
>Good
Fuck off, normie scum.
>>
>>63831430
>tfw prequelfags are taking over
>>
>>63831430
>It's rivalry then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2B7nNblzRY
>>
>mfw the Prequels Renaissance

Good, good.
>>
>>63834831
Kershner treated the sabers as weightless. Marquand said that they're heavy and didn't want Vader to wield his saber onehanded. Why Luke swings his around like it's made of magnets and its attracted to anything except Vader's blade is anyone's guess. Lets blame that one on Lucas. He can take the heat.
>>
>>63834604
>Sith Lord

Maul isn't a Sith lord.
>>
>>63836687

technically he is, he's just apprentice to another more powerful Sith Lord.
>>
File: Kirk can't stand it.png (1 MB, 1101x963) Image search: [Google]
Kirk can't stand it.png
1 MB, 1101x963
>>63831794
So much wrong holy shit
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.