[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1) At what point in film history did american film branch to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: SonofSaul.jpg (17 KB, 260x370) Image search: [Google]
SonofSaul.jpg
17 KB, 260x370
1) At what point in film history did american film branch to the "ententainment" ones and the "artsy" ones? It is obvious american filmmakers are trying to make a difference, for instance Birdman won quite a few Academy Awards and it was quite "daring" for a major film (the way it is filmed, the soundtrack, the plot) but a film such as The Force Awakens still might be better reviewed and definitely will have more people seeing it in their local cinemas. Will we see the domination of more "artsy" films than super-hero flicks in a few years time or is that impossible?

2)Let's talk about pic related and hear your opinions about, in my opinion, the best film released in the last few years.
>>
>>63831381
You are wrong about pretty much everything.
>>
>>63831604
How so?
>>
The Force Awakens has proved again that americans don't care about quality so no

The best in what was a very mediocre year sure
>>
>>63831642
Birdman is hardly special. It'a a movie made for Oscars and you shouldn't compare it with The Force Awakens.
>>
>>63831708
It's quite a made-for-Oscars movie considering the last two were 12 Year a Slave and Argo.
>>
1) The original Star Wars, without a doubt. The seeds of the American blockbuster craze were laid with Spielberg's Jaws but Star Wars blew everything right out of proportion. Hollywood now knew without a doubt what their priorities were past this point

2) No opinion since I haven't seen it
>>
>>63831880
>The original Star Wars
It's much older than this. Hollywood was always more about entertainment than art.
>>
>>63831855
Oscar film != Oscar bait
>>
>>63831951
In that case it's been that way quite literally since the popularization of film in the silent era. "Art" as you seem to consider it, doesn't sell.
>>
Hollywood cranked out song and dance pictures because of the Depression.

Before then you had DW Griffith making huge scale sagas that were innovative and insanely ambitious.

Then as movies gained popularity, surprise surprise, people like entertainment and war pictures more than pure dramas.

You had to wait till European directors (Dreyer, Rosselini, Bergman, Ozu) to save the entire artform by injecting some thought and contemplation into it.
>>
>>63832095
Yes. I don't think there is that much difference between King Kong (1933), The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), The Wizard of Oz (1939) and modern blockbusters.

>big budget
>famous actors
>made for entertainment
>made primarily to make a lot of money
>>
>>63832130
>You had to wait till European directors
They were always there.
>>
>>63831381
>Will we see the domination of more "artsy" films than super-hero flicks in a few years time or is that impossible?
It's impossible. And more "artsy" films do exist. This year you have Spotlight, Carol, Brooklyn and probably some other films.
>>
>>63831381
There has always been both, and the ideal has always been a good balance of both. In the way you're thinking about it, the answer is probably Star Wars, T B H, which was a huge milestone in the end of the New Hollywood era.
>>
is there a torrent out for this yet?

if so link me up senpai
>>
File: therobe.jpg (29 KB, 255x390) Image search: [Google]
therobe.jpg
29 KB, 255x390
>>63831986
I do agree on that

>>63832095

>>63832130
Said it best
>>
>low budget Holocaust movie from a small European country
>wins in Cannes, probably Golden Globe and Oscar soon
Bravo Hollywood
>>
>>63832130
>ozu
>european
>>
>>63831673
Cmon now, Transformers and the MCU movies already established that fact
>>
>>63833449
Well the anon did say, and I green-text
>proved again
>again
So I don't think you're disagreeing.
>>
>>63832803
>wins in cannes
Son of Saul won the Grand Prix(aka the second place)
The Palme was for Dheepan
>>
>american filmmakers

>Alejandro González Iñárritu (Spanish pronunciation: [aleˈxandɾo ɣonˈsales iˈɲaritu]; credited since 2014 as Alejandro G. Iñárritu; born August 15, 1963) is a Mexican film director, producer, screenwriter, and former composer.

Also Birdman was solely build around a gimmick and it was pretentious as hell
>>
>>63831381
>2)Let's talk about pic related and hear your opinions about, in my opinion, the best film released in the last few years.
Hello Chaim
Torrent when?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.