[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it so difficult to make a legitimately scary horror movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: PT-Value-Shot-03.jpg (138 KB, 980x490) Image search: [Google]
PT-Value-Shot-03.jpg
138 KB, 980x490
Why is it so difficult to make a legitimately scary horror movie? Pretty sure this is one of the few things vidya is way better at.
>>
>>63829155
source on pic? is it a good one?
>>
>>63829168
P.T, it was a demo for a game that has now been cancelled.
>>
>>63829196
Worse still, you can't even download this anymore, they removed it from the store shortly after its cancellation.
>>
>>63829196
anon please...don't remind me
>>
>>63829168

I'll assume you aren't joking.

It's from a video game demo called P.T. (Playable Trailer). It was a teaser from the game Silent Hills which was going to be made by Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear Solid) Guilmo Del Torro (Pam's Labyrinth) and the protagonist was going to played by Norman Redus from Walking Dead. It literally was going to appeal to a huge audience and had a fuckton of talent behind it.

But because the geniuses at Konami did what they did best, they fired Kojima and cancelled the game and pulled P.T. from the PS4 store and it's no longer available unless you buy a used PS4 which has it already installed on it,
>>
genuine horror requires a substantial buildup or for the imagination to run wild
-a substantial buildup isn't possible with the ADHD of cinema (hurr this movie was so dry for the first 2 hours 0/10)
-allowing imaginations to run and not fully depicting any kind of villain/monster in a movie is garners an extremely negative response from audiences
>>
>>63829237
sorry bud...
>>
>>63829155
Because movies are less immersive than games. Even with the best horror movies, you're just watching awful things happening to somebody else.

With a game, the awful stuff is happening to you, or at least to a proxy of you.
>>
>>63829243
why would you think he's joking? the fuck
>>
>>63829518

I don't know, I assume most people heard of the whole Kojima/Konami situation around here.
>>
>>63829243
>Guilmo
>Pam's

What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>63829155
P.T is the scariest game I ever played.
>>
>>63829578
You're on /tv/
>>
>>63829651

4chan is 4chan
>>
>playing video games
>>
>>63829293
It comes down to normies can't handle horror. People disliked Blair Witch Project because "lol there wasnt even a witch".
>>
>>63829708
People dislike blair witch because it was a paranormal activity movie that abruptly ends just before everyone dies
>>
>>63829739
Watch slashers or the Saw series if you're looking to see people get tortured or torn apart. Not seeing is good.
>>
>>63829715
>Videogames are simply better at scares, for plenty of reasons.

Not really though.
>>
>>63829774
So paranormal activity movies would suddenly be amazing if they cut right before everyone died?
Jacob's ladder is how you make a good subtle horror, and it's not even really a fucking horror.
>>
>>63829833
I enjoyed Paranormal Activity. I've never seen anyone here give it any real criticism, just insult it because it was popular.

>would suddenly be amazing if they cut right before everyone died
That wasn't my point. Death, to me, is usually more impactful if it isn't on screen, or if it's hidden. Gore just isn't interesting.
>>
>>63829976
I never said I was advocating gruesome death, just that BWP had no payoff, which retroactively makes all of the build up and teasing scenes pointless.
>>
Most people in /tv/ don't know anything about horror films or film in general, and films today are more like video games than the other way around. Can't imagine why a game would be scary, or a film, beyond the age of 12. That is, scary in a way that causes immediate fear of your surroundings and produces a flight or fight response. As an adult, good horror is satisfying in other ways.
>>
File: 1421234006243.gif (2 MB, 288x268) Image search: [Google]
1421234006243.gif
2 MB, 288x268
>>63829243

>Hideo Kojima, Guillermo del Toro, Junji Ito working on Silent Hills.
>Konami didn't think this combination wouldn't print money.

I'm still mad about it.
>>
>>63829243
What was the business decision behind pulling the game ?
>>
>>63830048
I thought the final 5 minutes were very tense. It was payoff enough for me. Mike standing in the corner, which lines up with one of the stories they heard from locals about Rustin Parr making kids stand in the corner while they killed their friends, or whatever it was. That's the pay off. It proves there was something down there that made him do that. Unless Mike (who also threw the map) was fucking with them on purpose. Or possessed.

It's open to interpretation, which is nice.
>>
>>63829243
>>63830110
lots of talent doesnt necessarily mean itll be good.

too many cooks in the kitchen etc

but that demo was very promising
>>
/v/ will always have the edge in horror because the consumer has agency. You're not watching it happen to someone else, it's happening to you. The best film can do in this respect is found-footage which 90% of the time descends into shaky gimmicky shit.
>>
>>63830116

I don't anyone really knows.

Konami basically has said "Fuck You" to the video game side of it's business. They must be making a shit ton of money in their other ventures if they are not freaking out about canning their entire video game division and all the bad PR they are receiving.
>>
Watch some Kiyoshi Kurosawa. Fucker is the master of making unsettling movies. The hallway scene from Kairo is one of the few times I've felt actual, pit of my stomach dread watching a movie.
>>
>>63829155
Simple.
In a movie, you can afford to sit back, relax. Pay little attention to it, turn away, etc.

In a game (as long as it's not your first) you instinctively are paying full attention. Everything you do, is a result of your own actions.
There isn't a predetermined route, there simply is the unknown. And the unknown is what we fear.
If there is a scare in a movie, it was always there, it was always going to be there.
In a game however, you don't know why it's there when it happens. It's not just a ride you're taking. Maybe you fucked up, maybe it was scripted. You don't know. You don't know how or why the things are happening around you, only that you have something to do with them happening.

In a movie, things just happen.

This is why good horror movies tend to include one of two things: Truth or unknown. This is why as long as you have no idea about the locations and times Ancient Aliens talks about, you still have a chance to be thrilled more by it, than most horror movies. Because what if, just a little fragment of it is true? Clearly it isn't, but just what if? You can't know with absolute certainty, can you?

As for truth, well there is nothing scarier than knowing how broken the world can be.
It's called the red pill.
>>
>>63830116
honestly what i think it is, is that kojima not being a technical person and likes to inflate budgets, only contributes crappy stories to his games and that's about it. He blew up the budget of the phantom pain getting keifer to voice snake, getting a bunch of licensed music, and making the game super huge.

Think konami saw him setting up this thing wit del toro and said fuck no to that from a budget perspective
>>
Being scared while playing a video game? What, do you stop playing and look away from the screen? Or are you just talking about the adrenaline rush of being caught up in a game? Because that isn't fear or being scared.

If you get scared during a video game or movie, you have failed as an adult. Jump scares don't count. That shit is cheap.
>>
>>63829578
>Video games are important to everyone because they are important to me

What is this, a new autism meme or something?
>>
>>63830110
First I heard that ito was going to be involved... that's like salt in the fucking wound.
>>
File: You.jpg (190 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
You.jpg
190 KB, 2048x1536
>>63830439
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.