[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't think it was a complete rehash
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: dark_helmet.jpg (62 KB, 992x744) Image search: [Google]
dark_helmet.jpg
62 KB, 992x744
Now that I've had time to digest the movie, the only thing pissing me off in that regard is Starkiller Base. Oh look, another Death Star. Oh look, here comes the X-wing swarm according to protocol. This shit has been blown up twice already and these dumbfucks thought it was a good idea to build ANOTHER one? This is [i]Seiken Densetsu 2 [/i] if you want to go old school and the Rebels are your Mana Beast. You build it/raise it and the gods send their dragon.

Starkiller Base represents the worst of the EU (superweapons that can blow up BIGGER THINGS) adapted into the new 'official' canon. We could have gotten Grand Admiral Thrawn or Mara Jade if Disney really wanted to throw the fans a bone. We got the Sun Crusher instead. Fuck Starkiller Base.

Aside from that, the similarities are mostly superficial. There's a deeper mystery going on, and TFA is clearly part of what is supposed to be (what I am hoping will be) a much larger and overall fresher story told in VIII and IX. I like how Disney is handing the reigns to different teams of writers and directors, creating a checks and balances system that won't have us stuck with Jar Jar and Midichlorians by IX.

That sense of adventure and excitement was back. It was a deep cleansing of the soul. I'm not naive enough to equate these feelings evoked within me to 'good movie.' I recognize them for exactly what they were: not a nostalgia trip but a BREATH OF FRESH AIR. After three movies of people sitting on a couch, talking, and occasionally putting on a choreographed volcano planet wank-a-thon for the audience, characters are MOVING AROUND. They're DOING things. They're ON LOCATION instead of being limited to blue screens and tennis balls.

In the meantime there's meat underneath all the flash. I enjoyed the new characters, even Finn and douchebag emo Kylo Ren. I liked what I was seeing aside from Starkiller Base. I've been fed the appetizer. It was tasty. I want more.
>>
>>63821567

I 100% agree with you
but no matter how right you are it won't stop the shitposters
>>
>>63821567
I liked how Black Space Man represented a turn from dark to light rather than the fall from light to dark (Ben in VII, Anakin). It wasn't a remake.

The Starkiller Base thing was really the only thing that bothered me. Han getting offed isn't even close to being like Luke defeating his father.

There were parallels, but it definitely wasn't a remake.
>>
>>63821794

Han getting offed is definitely a parallel with obi getting offed, but the purpose of the scene was different - vader killing obi doesn't make much of a difference for vader, but kylo killing han was a huge deal for his character and development
>>
File: Grand_Admiral_Thrawn.png (153 KB, 220x299) Image search: [Google]
Grand_Admiral_Thrawn.png
153 KB, 220x299
>>63821567

> We could have gotten Grand Admiral Thrawn

yfw we will never get an intelligent, calculating antagonist in the new series.
>>
>>63821567
This scene was pointless and you all know it
>>
Agreed. I really enjoyed.
Now that this still looks like a civilised thread, was I the only one especially impressed by sound effects? The first time Ren turns on his lightsaber to kill the old man, the whole room rumbled.
>>
File: Mara_Jade.jpg (66 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Mara_Jade.jpg
66 KB, 600x600
>>63821567

>We could have gotten Mara Jade

We will never see Luke's hot wife, nor will we ever see the badass version of Luke who doesn't run and became a hermit at the first sign of trouble. All that potential is lost.
>>
>>63821870
I know. Rehash fags are literally meme regurgitating and have no critical analysis skills. They can only analyze the explicit, most basic of plot devices.
>>
>>63821950

My impression is that hiding away to age badly in despair is a ruse. There's something Luke is doing on the island that involves the Jedi Temple and a thing inside/underneath it. That's the reason the First Order wants him found and offed.
>>
>>63821951

They also ignore the entire middle act of the movie since it has nothing to do with IV besides part of it being set in a location kind of like the cantina
>>
>>63821567
It wasn't completely a rehash. It was just LARGELY a rehash.
>>
>>63822086
I mean that was literally the equivalent of luke talking to obiwan. except it was rei. talking to orange bitch.
>>
>>63822591

I was worried that Orange Bitch was going to be more cartoon CG shenanigans, but In that five minutes or so of screentime she had more depth to her than all of Yoda in I-III, Jar Jar or the alien in the 1950s Coruscant Cafe. She created a thread that I'd like to follow.
>>
>>63822591

that was about one minute in the whole middle part, and it's hardly a carbon copy because she straight out rejected her offer to take the lightsaber
>>
>>63822756
She's also not a Jedi, by her own admission, just someone who's been around long enough to know the Force exists and that events of significance are unfolding.
>>
>>63821567
>>63821778
>>63821951

the denial is strong in you
>>
>>63822871
OP.
Nah, the experience has run its course through my mind. This is usually the amount of time it takes for me to recognize what's left after the magic fog lifts.

I watched Million Dollar Baby on Netflix for the first time the other day. At first it grabbed at my soulstrings. Less than 12 hours later I was reeling over how fucking broken it actually was. With VII, I'm still excited and moved despite the imperfections I can clearly make out.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.